PDA

View Full Version : buying bike from dealership

ruah_23
05-11-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm getting a bike by the end of next wk, and I have a few questions.
1.Do I need to have the M licence or MP licence to get the bike? or can I buy the bike first and take the test afterwards since I need it for practice?
2. Do I have to call the insurance first and buy one or the dealership gon do it for me?

Thanks for y'all help.

Jaimecbr900
05-11-2006, 02:40 PM
To do it legally...you have to have your Motorcycle license if you wanna ride it anywhere.

You will have to have insurance lined up when you pick up the bike.

What kind of bike are you getting?

BORICUACIVICR
05-11-2006, 03:21 PM
He man congratulation on your soon to be new bike!

Technecly, you sold have the licence before you buy the bike, but most dealers don't care or don't even ask for the licence. You can go in with the MP (motorcycle Permit) witch is a learners permit, with no problem.

As for insurance, you don't want to ride with out it anyway's, but some company's don't ask for it either, it just depends on how you are paying for the bike, cash?, or Finance? If you are paying cash no body selling you the bike cares if you have insurance, If you are financing the bike, depending of the bank financing the bike or type of loan they may ask you to show proof of insurance before you ride off with it. I know that some companies like Suzuki and Yamaha don't ask, but Honda does. Also if you finance thru the Factory it will be a revolving credit, like a credit card, and that's why they don't ask, you are stuck paying for it if you where to wreck it.

The smart thing to do is Have at least your MP licence and Insurance ready before you pick up your bike. Can you imagine if you had an acident (God forbid) on you way home with your new bike? what when? you'll have a newly wrecked bike and a new debt of $10.000+ you would still have to pay!

A friend of mine bought last year a new 600RR at the lawrenceville Dealer, as soon as he got on it, whent down the drive and strait in to the curb in to the fence, $670.00 in damage in less than two minutes after he bout it, 3 mos. later he was trying to do a wheelie, over reved the bike, it shoot strait in to the air and landed in top of a suburban ( No joke) $3.000 damage to the bike and another $1,800 to suburban. Thank god he had insurance!

What ever you decide to to be safe, never ride beyond your ability. with time comes experience, and with experience come, the wheelies, the endos, the stopies. Also keep in mind that when you ride a bike the question is not if you are going to fall, it's when! Respect the bike and alway's expect for some one to pull in front of you.

AznTraitor
05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
to be honest with you, it's probably better not to ride it off the lot. I've seen so many accidents happening within 1 mile of the dealership...you know you get the whole "it's a new toy, and it's so fast" kinda thing going and do something stupid.

go get a permit, it's an easy test....get a 2wd truck and ramp and load it up and take it home then ride around for a bit in the neighborhood.

I remeber when some jackhole bought a brand new R6 here and it just stopped raining, but it was still misting and he insisted with his 4 years of riding that he'd have no problems riding it home....haha...within 200ft, he put it down. Fresh tires that havent even touched the streets and wet roads = no no.

HiPSI
05-11-2006, 03:51 PM
get the permit, it's just a computer test and takes 15-20 minutes.

get insurance right off the bat, no sense in waiting for something bad to happen. at least throw the required liability on there ASAP.

ruah_23
05-11-2006, 05:37 PM
What kind of bike are you getting?

Hayabusa Limited edition

ruah_23
05-11-2006, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=AznTraitor]

go get a permit, it's an easy test....get a 2wd truck and ramp and load it up and take it home then ride around for a bit in the neighborhood.

QUOTE]

That's what I'm planning to do. I sure hell won't drive it straight from the lot since I never driven a bike before.:D

lightspeed
05-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Hayabusa Limited edition
awesome...is that your first bike? If so, Im impressed! Even I didnt have the balls to get something that fast for my first bike.

ruah_23
05-11-2006, 06:45 PM
awesome...is that your first bike? If so, Im impressed! Even I didnt have the balls to get something that fast for my first bike.

LOL...If u look at my job,u know I'm a risk taker:) .
I'll drive it slow though...:D

AznTraitor
05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
LOL...If u look at my job,u know I'm a risk taker:) .
I'll drive it slow though...:D

hahaha...yeah right....everyone says they will take it easy and go slow...but your right hand is gonna itch.

man...you went with a busa, huh? that's one heavy pig.

Just please dont do the whole stretched swing arm which is so popular among busa owners.

ECMgarrett
05-11-2006, 07:04 PM
honestly if i were you id say hold off a week or so and take the MSF course, itd be much better to drop THEIR bike vs your brand new LE bike......

yea, you'll wait a little longer to get it, but the experience and knowledge you gain could save you thousands if not more (your life)

dont buy without insurance, god forbid something were to happen, but if it did youd be in serious shit riding without insurance.

good luck and ride safe

lightspeed
05-12-2006, 08:45 AM
I had a busa for a while. It was a nice bike, but I just couldnt get over the size and weight. Im more of a handling person for bikes.

Just please dont do the whole stretched swing arm which is so popular among busa owners.
Oh, but come on... That swingarm makes it handle so well :lmao:

ruah_23
05-13-2006, 07:01 AM
honestly if i were you id say hold off a week or so and take the MSF course, itd be much better to drop THEIR bike vs your brand new LE bike......

yea, you'll wait a little longer to get it, but the experience and knowledge you gain could save you thousands if not more (your life)

dont buy without insurance, god forbid something were to happen, but if it did youd be in serious shit riding without insurance.

good luck and ride safe

I would take the course but I have to work every 2 days so that will be impossible.

ECMgarrett
05-13-2006, 09:20 AM
so you work every third day?
i dont know how it is there but that would work out, it was two days stragiht and then a week later another two days stragiht.

but whatever, dont take the course even though it WILL drop your insurance rates and probably teach you something to keep that thing off of the ground (meaning the fairings)

ruah_23
05-13-2006, 04:58 PM
so you work every third day?
i dont know how it is there but that would work out, it was two days stragiht and then a week later another two days stragiht.

but whatever, dont take the course even though it WILL drop your insurance rates and probably teach you something to keep that thing off of the ground (meaning the fairings)

YUP.But I don't work on a set of day. It depands on my shift...eg; I work yesterday so I have today and tom off...work mon...tue,wed off...that kind of thing.

chuck
05-13-2006, 06:16 PM
i hope you're not paying more than $9999 for the bike, we can get them for that all day long....

also, you don't have to have a liscence/permit....if you're financing the bike then 9 times out of 10 you are required to have full coverage insurance. regardless, proof of insurance is required before the bike leaves the dealership.

and like peter said, just truck/trailor it off, take it home and go at your own pace with out the pressure/nervousness of knowing everyone is watching you....because believe me, we watch, haha, and from time to time it can be quite entertaining/scary/sad

ruah_23
05-13-2006, 08:07 PM
i hope you're not paying more than $9999 for the bike, we can get them for that all day long....

also, you don't have to have a liscence/permit....if you're financing the bike then 9 times out of 10 you are required to have full coverage insurance. regardless, proof of insurance is required before the bike leaves the dealership.

and like peter said, just truck/trailor it off, take it home and go at your own pace with out the pressure/nervousness of knowing everyone is watching you....because believe me, we watch, haha, and from time to time it can be quite entertaining/scary/sad

DADGUM IT! I already put on my deposit and now waiting for them to approve my financing.Where's ur shop at?.I went to the one at cumming.

AznTraitor
05-13-2006, 08:32 PM
DADGUM IT! I already put on my deposit and now waiting for them to approve my financing.Where's ur shop at?.I went to the one at cumming.

you can take that deposit back...just tell them your parents or your girlfriend is in trouble and you've reconsidered purchasing the bike.

btw...why did you put a deposit down if you werent even approved for financing yet? did they give you some bs line that someone was gonna pick it up right now?

ruah_23
05-14-2006, 07:49 AM
btw...why did you put a deposit down if you werent even approved for financing yet? did they give you some bs line that someone was gonna pick it up right now?

They said that need a deposit so they can pull the bike from sale.To prove that I'm serious..bla bla bla...

chuck
05-14-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm in Braselton...

ruah_23
05-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm in Braselton...

Cool. Hopefully the interest will be high ect ect and I will cancel it and get back to u.

ECMgarrett
05-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Cool. Hopefully the interest will be high ect ect and I will cancel it and get back to u.

so youre hoping that the finance rates will be too high so you wont get the bike? why not be a man and just say "ive decided against it" and get your money back??

you sound like an idiot

ruah_23
05-14-2006, 01:25 PM
so youre hoping that the finance rates will be too high so you wont get the bike? why not be a man and just say "ive decided against it" and get your money back??

you sound like an idiot

thanks for calling me and idiot even though don't know the situation. They told me that if I ever decided to change my mind,I wouldn't get my deposit back. I can only get it back if I don't get financed.

So yeah...think before u start calling people an idiot...

ECMgarrett
05-14-2006, 01:29 PM
why cant you get your deposit back and why did you agree to that. for that alone youre an idiot....
haha think about it, why would you give them a lot of money and there be a chance you cant get it back?

chuck
05-14-2006, 07:14 PM
why cant you get your deposit back and why did you agree to that. for that alone youre an idiot....
haha think about it, why would you give them a lot of money and there be a chance you cant get it back?

why don't you just let the guy do what he wants to do, you're not his mommy...and of course you're not going to agree with everything everyone does, let it be man...

wannab20hatch
05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
I asked the same question when asking about a new bike. As soon as you sign the papers you can do what you want with the bike. Dont need a license or insurance to drive it off the lot. Also chuck where do you work and do yall have any maroon or black 750's? thats what im looking for.

AznTraitor
05-15-2006, 07:53 AM
I asked the same question when asking about a new bike. As soon as you sign the papers you can do what you want with the bike. Dont need a license or insurance to drive it off the lot. Also chuck where do you work and do yall have any maroon or black 750's? thats what im looking for.

wow....I've yet to see a dealer let someone ride off with no insurance or license. Where are you buying bikes at? If you goto a real motorcycle dealer not some backlot who sells used bikes, they are suppose to ask if you have etheir.

I mean, you ride off the lot and run into a cop, what are you gonna say?

"I just bought it, so i dont need a license or insurance"

ECMgarrett
05-15-2006, 08:15 AM
wow....I've yet to see a dealer let someone ride off with no insurance or license. Where are you buying bikes at? If you goto a real motorcycle dealer not some backlot who sells used bikes, they are suppose to ask if you have etheir.

exactly, thing is is that you have to have insurance by law, doesnt matter if you just pulled it off the lot or not, youhave to have it to ride it.

wannab20hatch
05-15-2006, 08:42 AM

Gainesville Motorsports said it wasnt nec. Other places have told me the same thing. Ive had friends ride off the lot w/o either also. Just tell the cop your on the way to the insurance company now. Or if your current vehicle has full coverage all you have to do is notify them and your covered automatically.

ruah_23
05-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Gainesville Motorsports said it wasnt nec. Other places have told me the same thing. Ive had friends ride off the lot w/o either also. Just tell the cop your on the way to the insurance company now. Or if your current vehicle has full coverage all you have to do is notify them and your covered automatically.

I assumed u are paying cash for the bike right?

wannab20hatch
05-16-2006, 04:52 PM
No thats financing the bike.

AznTraitor
05-16-2006, 05:12 PM
No thats financing the bike.

you're telling me the bike shop let you leave with no insurance or license on a bike you didnt even own? That doesnt make any sense to me.