PDA

View Full Version : Misc Asian Culture (?)

nssnfairlady
05-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey, if there are any asians reading this, could you tell me whats ur religion and a layman term of it. (korean, Chinese, Japanese, ECT.) and also could you put your decent at that top so i know.

I've just always been into the asian culture and i wanted to get to know more about your religion.

C22H19N3O4
05-10-2006, 10:17 PM
IMO, there are 3 types of Asians in this country:
1- The normal, educated, and socially acceptable
2- The 5'3" wannabe thug, like the one in the T-mobile commercial
3- The FOB

I would say that category number one would lean towards Christianity. Number two would follow whatever BET commands. Most FOB's have converted to Christianity, but perhaps for the wrong reasons. I do know many Buddhists, but it's not really considered a religion. Buddha never claimed divinity.

BTW, you don't have to answer this, but are you White? Why are you so "into" Asian culture? Have you visited any Asian countries or was your dad in the military and stationed abroad? Don't take this as a personal attack. I'm just picking your brain. :D

D.Choe
05-11-2006, 04:11 AM
Just wondering- pharm teg, are you Asian?

C22H19N3O4
05-11-2006, 04:31 AM
I own two rice cookers, several pairs of sterling silver choptsicks, and can sit on the floor Indian style all day. Does that answer your question? If it doesnt, most people can't tell whether I'm asleep or awake. Let's not make this about me. Focus on the OP's questions.

Flip
05-11-2006, 04:51 AM
am i white?

HatchMan
05-11-2006, 07:43 AM
I own two rice cookers, several pairs of sterling silver choptsicks, and can sit on the floor Indian style all day. Does that answer your question? If it doesnt, most people can't tell whether I'm asleep or awake. Let's not make this about me. Focus on the OP's questions.

lol

{X}Echo419
05-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Chinese
Buddhist

Ran
05-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Korean
Formerly Presbyterian
Currently Agnostic

My mother came from a Buddhist family but quickly changed to Christianity when she came to the country. Christianity seems to be the most acceptable religion for Asians that come to America and when they get into it, they are EXTREMELY devote. Yet, at the same time, they're not hardcore zealots like these idiots you see protesting the conflict in Iraq and everything.

Romeyo07
05-11-2006, 10:36 AM
anyohaseyo

4dmin
05-11-2006, 10:44 AM

:rly: SWEET DINNER AT YOUR PLACE!!!

nssnfairlady
05-11-2006, 12:02 PM
IMO, there are 3 types of Asians in this country:
1- The normal, educated, and socially acceptable
2- The 5'3" wannabe thug, like the one in the T-mobile commercial
3- The FOB

I would say that category number one would lean towards Christianity. Number two would follow whatever BET commands. Most FOB's have converted to Christianity, but perhaps for the wrong reasons. I do know many Buddhists, but it's not really considered a religion. Buddha never claimed divinity.

BTW, you don't have to answer this, but are you White? If so, I am troubled by this trend of Asian male adornment. Why are you so "into" Asian culture? Have you visited any Asian countries or was your dad in the military and stationed abroad? Don't take this as a personal attack. I'm just picking your brain. :D

No...... I'm black... www.myspace.com/blazeswings02 (http://www.myspace.com/blazeswings02) <-- Thats me...

nssnfairlady
05-11-2006, 12:04 PM
So Buddhists, Its not really considered a religion?

So what do they mean by buddisism

Ran
05-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Buddhism is a religion. It originally branched from Hinduism and is it's own respectful religion. Also, Buddhists are those that follow Buddhism.

Chistanity - Christians
Buddhism - Buddhists
Judaism - Jews

GsrTurbo320
05-11-2006, 12:29 PM
????????????????

C22H19N3O4
05-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Buddhism is a religion

I guess it depends on your definition of religion. Religion, to must people, involve a supernatural power. Buddhism is a philosophy, a way of life. I guess you think Atheism is a religion too? :D

C22H19N3O4
05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
:rly: SWEET DINNER AT YOUR PLACE!!!

Call Hopsing b/c he delivers!

93H22ACX
05-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Hmong

Christian

C22H19N3O4
05-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Hey, if there are any asians reading this, could you tell me whats ur religion and a layman term of it. (korean, Chinese, Japanese, ECT.) and also could you put your decent at that top so i know.

I've just always been into the asian culture and i wanted to get to know more about your religion.

BTW, you can attend one of the Asian churches all over the metro area. They won't bite. There is a Buddhist temple on Beaver Ruin in Lllburn you can check out. The best way to gain insight is to experience everything first hand.

The Golden Child
05-11-2006, 02:11 PM
korean
christian - even though i havent been to church for i dunno how many ears ..

Ran
05-11-2006, 02:25 PM
I guess it depends on your definition of religion. Religion, to must people, involve a supernatural power. Buddhism is a philosophy, a way of life. I guess you think Atheism is a religion too? :D"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein

Buddhism is very much a religion as much as it is a lifestyle. As a matter of fact, it is the four largest religion in the world. While it may not follow a ideological figure such as God, Allah, or whatever, it still very much so believes in after-life experience. The traditional aspect of Buddhism is the belief in reincarnation until one can seperate himself from personal desires and achieve Nirvana, the state of freedom from suffering.

Contrary to the usual stereotype, a religion doesn't require a specific deity to be considered a religion.

C22H19N3O4
05-11-2006, 03:00 PM
"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein

Buddhism is very much a religion as much as it is a lifestyle. As a matter of fact, it is the four largest religion in the world. While it may not follow a ideological figure such as God, Allah, or whatever, it still very much so believes in after-life experience. The traditional aspect of Buddhism is the belief in reincarnation until one can seperate himself from personal desires and achieve Nirvana, the state of freedom from suffering.

Contrary to the usual stereotype, a religion doesn't require a specific deity to be considered a religion.

I can cut and paste information to contradict your Google session. We can go around in circles all day. I'm willing to bet you researched some right wing Christian site. Again, it all depends on your definition of religion.

Ran
05-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I can cut and paste information to contradict your Google session. We can go around in circles all day.Google session? The only I cut and pasted was the quote as I thought it was pretty interesting. I actually just took my final on World Religion yesterday and guess what? Buddhism was a religion that we covered! :eek:

The only thing I'm trying to say is that if your belief in religion is one that follows a certain deity, then you're pretty narrow minded on the subject.

Hail Xenu!! <- Specific Deity :D

I'm willing to bet you researched some right wing Christian site.Right wing Christian site? Why the hell would a Christian site have information on Buddhism other than to discredit it and turn people to Jesus?

Again, it all depends on your definition of religion.Everyone has their own opinions. :)

{X}Echo419
05-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Google session? The only I cut and pasted was the quote as I thought it was pretty interesting. I actually just took my final on World Religion yesterday and guess what? Buddhism was a religion that we covered! :eek:

The only thing I'm trying to say is that if your belief in religion is one that follows a certain deity, then you're pretty narrow minded on the subject.

Hail Xenu!! <- Specific Deity :D

Right wing Christian site? Why the hell would a Christian site have information on Buddhism other than to discredit it and turn people to Jesus?

Everyone has their own opinions. :)

when all else fails accuse someone of getting their info(don't attack it being Accurate. Attack the source) from a "right-wing" source=weak.
I'm just glad I've got this guy on my ignore list :D

nssnfairlady
05-11-2006, 03:37 PM
BTW, you can attend one of the Asian churches all over the metro area. They won't bite. There is a Buddhist temple on Beaver Ruin in Lllburn you can check out. The best way to gain insight is to experience everything first hand.

Actually i'm moving on Beaver Ruin Road soon. I need to put my Z in a garage. So that'd be cool.

C22H19N3O4
05-12-2006, 10:34 PM
I actually just took my final on World Religion yesterday and guess what? Buddhism was a religion that we covered! :eek:

I wasn't aware taking a broad religion class at a community college made you an authority. Perhaps the most brilliant theologians arise from community colleges? I'll forward ALL my religious questions your way. :D

C22H19N3O4
05-12-2006, 10:44 PM

This is why you have failed in life thus far. You run from your problems and stick your head in the sand. If you persist on this path, you will continue to make minimum wage and blame everyone else for your shortcomings. I must say I feel honored for making your ignore list, but then again I am a tad bit disappointed we can't share some witty repartee. How come QD/Stretch didn't make the list and I did? :rant: :D

wantboost
05-12-2006, 11:20 PM
just added to mine also. i dont need to read personal attacks when debating something. he could have made the same point in the last two posts without them.

C22H19N3O4
05-12-2006, 11:26 PM
i dont need to read personal attacks

Your ability to read is highly suspect. There were no personal attacks until the last few posts. If I have offended your delicate sensibilities, please move to Oprah's new forum.

wantboost
05-12-2006, 11:28 PM
^^ the ignore list is a wonderful thing

C22H19N3O4
05-12-2006, 11:31 PM
^^ the ignore list is a wonderful thing

So is contraception. Please try not to breed, or in your case inbreed. :D

wantboost
05-12-2006, 11:34 PM
^^ the ignore list is a wonderful thing. /leaves thread/

C22H19N3O4
05-12-2006, 11:37 PM
^^ the ignore list is a wonderful thing. /leaves thread/

Don't take your dolly and go home! :lmfao:

RandomGuy
05-12-2006, 11:42 PM
No...... I'm black... www.myspace.com/blazeswings02 (http://www.myspace.com/blazeswings02) <-- Thats me...
OH SHIT ITS PSINXS LOL

lol jk jk ;)

Oh yeah I'm Asian... but not "AZN" lol im from Pakistan and Muslim(monotheism, etc)... haha

ShooterMcGavin
05-13-2006, 12:10 AM
chinese
agnostic

Dark.GEAR
05-17-2006, 12:12 AM
like someone said earlier...buddhism was never meant to be a religion...
i believe the only reason so many people consider it a religion is because they want to compare it to things closey related to it (Christianity)....
i think that most buddhist don't consider it a religion if they truely understood it...but w/e there are many ignorant people out there...i could even be Buddhist and a Christian if i wanted to if I was following the way of Buddha (although i would contradict some of the teaching..don't wanna get to the reason why...cuz Christians would start flaming without knowing anything better)...so if you really want to know what Buddhism is about do some real first person research (visit temples and etc.)

{X}Echo419
05-17-2006, 12:32 PM
I think the Dali Lama is 1 kewl MF!

xaznstylegrlx
05-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I think the Dali Lama is 1 kewl MF!
:lmao:

HonDai3oii
07-14-2006, 10:21 PM
VieT
Buddhist but I go to a Christian church(sometime)

Hulud
07-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Chinese
Buddhist
if your buddhist then why did you answer "other" on the poll?

anyways if this thread doesnt get back on topic the lockage will begin

David88vert
07-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Buddism is a religion. While many practioners focus on the philosophical aspects only, many other pray to ancestors for protection, luck, wealth.
Many of my friends are Buddist, as is most of my wife's family.
Buddism is worth learning about, even if you don't believe it. It's outlook is quite interesting and educational.

nssnfairlady
07-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanx for the info guys

yerrow
07-15-2006, 12:26 AM

in asia there are many different religions. confucionism, buddhism, doaists, etc. any particular religion you're interested in particular?

because you're statement that i quoted is like me saying i've always been into american culture and i want to know about your religion. now think about the many religions on the americas. asians are a people not a nation

TonyRSX
07-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Vietnamese-Catholic

nssnfairlady
07-16-2006, 02:02 PM
in asia there are many different religions. confucionism, buddhism, doaists, etc. any particular religion you're interested in particular?

because you're statement that i quoted is like me saying i've always been into american culture and i want to know about your religion. now think about the many religions on the americas. asians are a people not a nation

I didn't mean it like that. Sorry. If i read over what i said i wouldn't have said that.

In other words, I wanted to know more about the different cultures in Asia.

I like understanding different views ya know? I want to learn more about the Chinese and Japanese Culture. However I'm open to all cultures.

The other day, i met a chef from Indonesia. (SP?) Very nice guy. :goodjob:

I was just asking him some of the differences of there and here.

-Sorry again if i sounded rude.

nssnfairlady
07-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Vietnamese-Catholic

I don't know many people who are Vietnamese, but i was wondering...

Vietnamese isn't a language right? I have a Neighbor... well MANY neighbors who are vietnamese, and one of the daughters of a family said to me, if her dad doesn't speak to us, its because he does not know english,.... he speaks.. ??????? ( i have forgotten what she said, but I know she didn't say vietnamese. After she said that i wondered what the different languages were? And i thought Vietnamese wasn't a language...

Am I wrong?

nssnfairlady
07-16-2006, 02:07 PM

hmm.. What is Confucionism and Doaists? ... I THINK i know a little bit of what doaists is, are, or whatever. But i'm not sure.

Do you mind filling me in? :D

yerrow
07-16-2006, 03:07 PM
just about every asian country has there own language. many countries have multiple (china). the vietnamese have their own language

yerrow
07-16-2006, 04:40 PM
read here

http://www.jcu.edu/faculty/nietupski/rl251/projects/N_Silk_Road/religion/daoism.htm

TonyRSX
07-16-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't know many people who are Vietnamese, but i was wondering...

Vietnamese isn't a language right? I have a Neighbor... well MANY neighbors who are vietnamese, and one of the daughters of a family said to me, if her dad doesn't speak to us, its because he does not know english,.... he speaks.. ??????? ( i have forgotten what she said, but I know she didn't say vietnamese. After she said that i wondered what the different languages were? And i thought Vietnamese wasn't a language...

Am I wrong?

Vietnamese is a language...im vietnamese and thats what i speak...and if she really is viet...then thats what ur friend/her family speaks as well...

nssnfairlady
07-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Vietnamese is a language...im vietnamese and thats what i speak...and if she really is viet...then thats what ur friend/her family speaks as well...

Does Vietnam have any different languages?

nssnfairlady
07-16-2006, 11:13 PM
read here

http://www.jcu.edu/faculty/nietupski/rl251/projects/N_Silk_Road/religion/daoism.htm

Thax for the info.

I do have a another question if you don't mind.

Chi <-- Is that pronounced the way it appears?

I don't know what or who exactly this refers too, but some refer it to as "Ki"...

I think in martial arts.

I'm sorry if i get some of this wrong, I'm somewhat clueless..

I don't mean to offend anyone, by my lack of knowledge:no:

HonDai3oii
07-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Does Vietnam have any different languages?

Vietnam do have 3 different types....my family are from the south of vietnam
so we speak Nam(southern)

Crazy Asian
07-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Korean
Christian
Was a thug.. now Im just a creepo sniffing panties and having fun.

TonyRSX
07-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Vietnam do have 3 different types....my family are from the south of vietnam
so we speak Nam(southern)

yea 3 different types...but its all still the same language...jus different accents...like a northern n southern accent here in the US

yerrow
07-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Thax for the info.

I do have a another question if you don't mind.

Chi <-- Is that pronounced the way it appears?

I don't know what or who exactly this refers too, but some refer it to as "Ki"...

I think in martial arts.

I'm sorry if i get some of this wrong, I'm somewhat clueless..

I don't mean to offend anyone, by my lack of knowledge:no:

chi=ki=qi

is inner energy...not only in martial arts

nssnfairlady
07-17-2006, 03:25 PM
yea 3 different types...but its all still the same language...jus different accents...like a northern n southern accent here in the US

Thats cool, I didn't know that.

--- For anyone who is speaks Chinese... I was watching Inital D (the human movie) and I noticed the subtitles had Chinese and Simplifed Chinese...

What exactly does it mean? I mean of course it means what it says, but what happens with the wording? Are some words not needed to use?

Hulud
07-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Chinese
Buddhist
if your buddhist then why did you answer "other" on the poll?

still waiting....

DARLING DARA
07-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Thai
Buddhist [ although, I consider it a way of life rather than my religion..]

yerrow
07-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Thats cool, I didn't know that.

--- For anyone who is speaks Chinese... I was watching Inital D (the human movie) and I noticed the subtitles had Chinese and Simplifed Chinese...

What exactly does it mean? I mean of course it means what it says, but what happens with the wording? Are some words not needed to use?

chinese is a very complicated language whether it be mandarin or cantonese (or the many other chinese languages). its very hard to read subtitles quickly in chinese, so they came up with a simplified version to read

yerrow
07-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Thai
Buddhist [ although, I consider it a way of life rather than my religion..]

sawadee kop

and for the original question-
chinese heritage but my parents were born and raised in thailand, so i thought i was thai until i was in my 20's.
i went to a southern baptist church on sundays and a buddhist temple on wednesdays and saturdays... both for the better part of my adolescent life
so i just grew up confused!

{X}Echo419
07-18-2006, 11:52 AM
still waiting....
it was an inside joke

ahabion
07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
hmong

christian