PDA

View Full Version : valve seals...

Dave
05-02-2005, 03:16 PM
how much will it run to replace some valve seals in a b16a2?? do i have to do a complete head rebuilt?? or can i just repleace the valve seals?

Vteckidd
05-02-2005, 04:24 PM
$400 if the head is on the car. its alot of labor, and its time consuming. you need valve seals which i can get for $30 from ferrea. I would reccomend changing to better valvesprings while we are at it like ROcket Motorsports Valvesprings an retainers.

You have to pull the valveprings and the keepers out to change the seals

Dave
05-02-2005, 10:46 PM
is it better to do it while its in the car?? or just take out the whole head??

Vteckidd
05-03-2005, 08:42 AM
its easier if you pull the whole head, but i can do it on the car, PM me

mi4dub
05-09-2005, 07:13 PM
yeah... dave, i found a cracked weld on the header. that could be the cause of all the smoke. imma weld it back on at the muff shop and hope that will fix. your seals look good IMO but i think i will change that as well. i didn't see any oil leak so the head gasket is still good. how did your plugs look when you had it replaced? any signs of oil?

Vteckidd
05-09-2005, 07:32 PM
yeah... dave, i found a cracked weld on the header. that could be the cause of all the smoke. imma weld it back on at the muff shop and hope that will fix. your seals look good IMO but i think i will change that as well. i didn't see any oil leak so the head gasket is still good. how did your plugs look when you had it replaced? any signs of oil?
Crack on a header wont cause "smoke". BLOW by will cause smoke which means 1 of two things

1) smoke on Acceleration=Rings
2) smoke on Decel=Vavle Seals or rings or both or PCV system

do ourself a favor and change the valve stem seals now, its $30 in parts and might as well do it. i think his rings are shot, do a compression test on it. that will tell you, then do a leakdown

what signs do you look for on a bad vavle seal? could you tell me? just curious to hear your thoughts

mi4dub
05-09-2005, 08:30 PM
like you said... it was typeO on my part... i said all the problems... well crack header is a prob cuse its letting smoke esc. thus causing smoke under the hoot = smoke in cabin. Seals probably are the cause and know that... thats what i was planing... what i was trying to say was that main valve cover seals r in good shape. since i opened it up imma replace it. will that stop all smoke? NO... all/most honda's smoke when vtech kick in from ones i seen.. including my very first car.
on the side note... my buddys ls turbo was smoking bad at dyno and we found that few bolts were loose on the mani. we tighten them up and it was all better(normal/usual light smoke) so i figured this might help a bit... well, alot in his case(the guy with LS'T)

Vteckidd
05-09-2005, 08:43 PM
what i was trying to say was that main valve cover seals r in good shape. since i opened it up imma replace it.
your obviously talkign about the Valve Cover grommets, no motor will smoke, from those being bad, replace those if you want to, they are cheap. IM TALKING ABOUT THE VALVE STEM SEALS. they are located UNDER the Vavle SPrings and the retainers. If the head is on the car, you need a SNAP-ON tool taht bolts to the head to remove the vavlesprings. you have to fill each cylinder with air. to keep the valves up, dont want them dropping ni the cylinder , then your screwed. Now you must remove the Keepers and then pull the retainers out. dont drop the keepers in an oil galley, then youll have to drop the oil pan. Remove valvesprings and pull the old valve stem seals out. reinstall in reverse order. normally takes 5 hours if your GOOD. took me 4.5 hours on my CRX

will that stop all smoke? NO... all/most honda's smoke when vtech kick in from ones i seen.. including my very first car.
Its VTEC, no "H". and totally NOT TRUE. A good compression motor shouldnt smoke AT ALL even when in vtec. thats one of the worst urban legends i have ever heard. its not true

on the side note... my buddys ls turbo was smoking bad at dyno and we found that few bolts were loose on the mani. we tighten them up and it was all better(normal/usual light smoke) so i figured this might help a bit... well, alot in his case(the guy with LS'T)

Could it cause smoking, not likely, see, OIL SMOKE is blue, and its caused by, once again BLOW BY. usually exhaust gasses getting out is a whitish colored smoke. If his motor is burning oil, i highly would doubt or attribute it to a cracked header. taht could be the reason why it smokes so much, but the main problem is how is the oil getting by the rings and vavles IN THE FIRST PLACE to get to the header? answer me that please.

Code3
05-09-2005, 09:08 PM
looks like you have a good project for this wknd...

mi4dub
05-09-2005, 09:44 PM
bringing it in tomorrow night... will be riding steelies...
its puff of white smoke... maybe... i could be wrong. and shoots alot of carbon...
good ole cp check and lotta tools i dont have will do the job i guess...