PDA

View Full Version : Wierd no start problems.....damn the life of a dsmer

SilverJester
04-27-2006, 02:35 PM
I posted this in few other forums...I figured I might as well post it here too.

My car died while driving, on the side of the road I had no fuel or spark. I thought it was the CAS (crank not cam) so I pulled the timing cover and noticed that 1 of the 2 bolts holding the CAS in place were missing...I also noticed that the balance shaft belt had broke (luckily it didn't get caught in the timing belt). I think it snapped and hit the CAS knocking the bolt out and causing the car to die (at least that's the only thing I could think of).

So I decided to do a balance shaft removal and reuse the CAS. I got it back together and it didn't start, still no spark and fuel. So I replaced the CAS, and still no spark or fuel. I know the ECU is good because I can connect via dsmlink and turn on/off the fuel pump, fans, and other misc things. There are no blown fuses. Everything is plugged in. I have also replaced the wires and both coil packs. What could it be???

Wierd note: I left the keys in the on position (accident) and recheking connections and spark after it still did not start. I unplgged and went to replug the CAS and noticed that if the key is in the on position, and if I lightly touch the wire harness plug to the CAS plug it clicks the fuel pump on for a second and also it sends 1 spark (I just happen to have a spark plug out as I had just tested for spark, so i could see it arc).

I'm really stumped and so is everyone I have talked to so far, the only thing else I can think is that maybe it is some sort of short?

The Yousef
04-27-2006, 02:52 PM
I posted this in few other forums...I figured I might as well post it here too.

My car died while driving, on the side of the road I had no fuel or spark. I thought it was the CAS (crank not cam) so I pulled the timing cover and noticed that 1 of the 2 bolts holding the CAS in place were missing...I also noticed that the balance shaft belt had broke (luckily it didn't get caught in the timing belt). I think it snapped and hit the CAS knocking the bolt out and causing the car to die (at least that's the only thing I could think of).

So I decided to do a balance shaft removal and reuse the CAS. I got it back together and it didn't start, still no spark and fuel. So I replaced the CAS, and still no spark or fuel. I know the ECU is good because I can connect via dsmlink and turn on/off the fuel pump, fans, and other misc things. There are no blown fuses. Everything is plugged in. I have also replaced the wires and both coil packs. What could it be???

Wierd note: I left the keys in the on position (accident) and recheking connections and spark after it still did not start. I unplgged and went to replug the CAS and noticed that if the key is in the on position, and if I lightly touch the wire harness plug to the CAS plug it clicks the fuel pump on for a second and also it sends 1 spark (I just happen to have a spark plug out as I had just tested for spark, so i could see it arc).

I'm really stumped and so is everyone I have talked to so far, the only thing else I can think is that maybe it is some sort of short?
didn't you have the same problem a couple months back when we were stranded at Shell?
or is this something different?

Xrated O.G.
04-27-2006, 02:58 PM
I say replace the CAS and recheck from there.... I think I have an extra (brand new) one laying around somewhere. Matter of fact I think its in my glovebox..... Let me know if you need help..

SilverJester
04-27-2006, 03:30 PM
didn't you have the same problem a couple months back when we were stranded at Shell?
or is this something different?
No that was something else, I had no spark that time....the power transitor plug vibrated loose when I raced that audi.

I say replace the CAS and recheck from there.... I think I have an extra (brand new) one laying around somewhere. Matter of fact I think its in my glovebox..... Let me know if you need help..
By CAS do you mean cam angle sensor or crank angle sensor? I have already replaced the crank sensor. But your help would be appreciated...right now I'm still trying to diagnose the problem.

MirageMan
04-27-2006, 07:14 PM
step 1= listen for fuel pump.ok you hear the fuel pump.
step 2= take out the spark plug wires, put a screw driver in there and crank to see if there is spark.check for all 4.
step 3= starter problem ?

im on mechanic but thats what i would do.

SilverJester
04-27-2006, 08:07 PM
step 1= listen for fuel pump.ok you hear the fuel pump.
step 2= take out the spark plug wires, put a screw driver in there and crank to see if there is spark.check for all 4.
step 3= starter problem ?

im on mechanic but thats what i would do.
step 1 = done, that is how I know I have no fuel
step 2 = done, that is how I know I hace no spark
step 3 = no, the engine cranks

The Yousef
04-28-2006, 12:29 PM
step 1 = done, that is how I know I have no fuel
step 2 = done, that is how I know I hace no spark
step 3 = no, the engine cranks

step 4 = buy a honda :confused:

:lmao:

Xrated O.G.
04-28-2006, 12:34 PM
step 4 = buy a honda :confused:

:lmao:

I would rather have a broken down DSM than ever own a Honduh....

The Yousef
04-28-2006, 12:34 PM

...damn

:lmfao:

SilverJester
04-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree

A.P. Photography
04-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Alex, I had read on another board and thought it might help in your case.

Mark,
A misaligned or malfunctioning crank angle sensor can cause this problem. If the ECU detects the crankshaft is not on the correct cycle (or angle), it can prevent the car from starting to avoid ruiing components in the head. Sometimes that sensor can detect the wrong angle due to a slipped timing belt. If the timing belt has slipped enough teeth, the crank angle sensor could prevent the engine from firing. It's worth checking out since you've already put so much effort into getting your car running.
Good luck!

MirageMan
04-28-2006, 03:51 PM
generally if you crank the key half way and hear a click sound that should mean that the fuel pump is working.unplug the line to the fuel rail if fuel is dumping out, you should have fuel coming in.its probably another problem.maybe its what GA TEG says it might be.

again, why am i giving advice im no mechanic.
cuz i need friends !

SleepingTalon
04-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Did you check the power transistor and coil pack?

SilverJester
04-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Alex, I had read on another board and thought it might help in your case.
Thanks, but you cannot misaligned the cranks angle sensor on my car it bolts in place and dosn't adjust....and the timing belt was in time.

generally if you crank the key half way and hear a click sound that should mean that the fuel pump is working.unplug the line to the fuel rail if fuel is dumping out, you should have fuel coming in.its probably another problem.maybe its what GA TEG says it might be.

again, why am i giving advice im no mechanic.
cuz i need friends !
Yes if you turn the key to the ON position on a 2g it is suppose to trigger the fuel pump relay and therefore turn the fuel pump on for a second....but it is not, that is how I know there is no fuel.

Did you check the power transistor and coil pack?
I have changed the coil packs already but still either of those would not explain the lack of fuel.

I bought a new Cam Anglse Sensor (I think it also controls both fuel and spark) so i will be changing that out when I get off work today....damn that makes the 3rd time I've had to remove and reinstall the timing belt, I'm gonna be able to change a t/b as fast as pit crews do tires if I keep this up.

tygr
05-06-2006, 01:36 AM
**If your still having trouble** I think any problem where you're poppin belts is a little more serious than a bad sensor. You might want to try and get a little more specialized opinion. Call John @ Lethal Injection Tuning 770 971-1142. He'll be able to help you. BTW, this is bobby with the red 2g w/ gold wheels