PDA

View Full Version : Misc Dress code for church...?

4dmin
04-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Ok so i was talking to a girl to day, who said she was christian and that she hasn't been to church in a while but lately started going to this one church... she enjoys "laid back... wear jeans..."

i don't get it... it is just the times or is it that churches need to fill seats in their multi million dollar facilities....

when i was a kid you dressed up when you went to church. its a sign of respect. i've noticed this trend in the past 10 years has been like an outreach to youth, basically you can wear what you want. many religions make you take off your shoes, wash your hands, etc when entering a holy place. what/why are christian churches doing this?

silver
04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
She must go to a more non traditional church.. or non denominational church.. The church we go to I wear jeans, but I dress them up with heels and a nice shirt, but our services are more active and not jsut sitting there for two hours.. so If I was dressed up as if I were going to church like a baptist church I would probably be uncomfortable. Church should be more of a you wanna go type thing, not you have to do this or do that.. so when churches are not as strict people will want to go.. IMO, you could show up wearing rags and shoes with no soles, showing up is respect enough

babowc
04-27-2006, 12:43 PM
i used to dress up in anything when i went to church..
now i carefully choose what i should wear.

i dont think it really matters.. you dont have to be all suits and dress pants for church..
you're going there to learn about god/listen to sermons, not to look good in front of other people.

blacknightteg
04-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I am catholic and in our church i mean you really see both dress up and casual dress....times have changed to be honest with you and it really doesnt matter the dress. most people will dress up but i mean you dont HAVE to. When i went and attended a bapstist church for a class i had to take, it seems the same way, but its more a "custom" to dress up nice at a baptist church i guess?

i mean honestly i think its just how you were raised in your family and how tradition has passed down in your family.

dressup and going to church is much like a comparison as catholics like to drink and the majority of baptists don't especially at weddings (atleast thats how it used to be)

4dmin
04-27-2006, 12:51 PM
IMO, you could show up wearing rags and shoes with no soles, showing up is respect enough

this is true, but then again we don't live in a 3rd world country, most people here own nice clothes (i'm not talkint suit/tie).. coming in wearing your abercombie jeans w/ holes, sandals, and a BIG JOHNSON to me is just disrepectful.

silver
04-27-2006, 01:00 PM
this is true, but then again we don't live in a 3rd world country, most people here own nice clothes (i'm not talkint suit/tie).. coming in wearing your abercombie jeans w/ holes, sandals, and a BIG JOHNSON to me is just disrepectful.

Yeah there is a way to be casual but still be presentable..

metalman
04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
The issue is respect for God, not church standards.The principle should be to present your best to your Creator. If jeans and t shirt are the very nicest clothes you have then thats all well and good. But I am afraid most people have much better.

Ryno
04-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I usually wear this when I go to church.

~The_Duke~
04-27-2006, 03:42 PM

:lmao: that is so wrong, but so funny at the same time....

I used to have to get dressed up to go to church then my parents started going to these "new" churches where jeans are acceptable, but most people wear just some kakis and a polo shirt. Me I usually dont get out of bed til about the time they get home from church...

Killer
04-27-2006, 04:26 PM
as silver said.. there's a way to be casual.. yet still presentable..
sunday mornings i usually try to dress nicer than in sunday afternoons.. (as does everyone at our church.. i don't really get that now that i think of it...???) but still i wear jeans and a nice shirt.. most sundays.. i go to church to feel God and hear His words.. not run the cat walk. And unless i'm mistaken i've never seen a dress code in the Bible

NevrNufTorq
04-27-2006, 05:12 PM
i go to a baptist church and it's wear whatever. point is, you're there to serve and honor. my two cents as always. same thing is happening in business as well. when i started in sales ten years ago it was slacks and tie minimum or you could forget the sale. now, it's kacki and a golf type shirt. when i was supplying the doors and frames for aquarium i had to meet with the mayor, governor and the builders for it with my customer. i had on the above and my customer went in jeans. the only suits were on the gov and mayor. i think just everything is going more casual in general and churches, imo, are out to win souls, not dressing up for one another.

quickdodgeŽ
04-27-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm with Paul. Back in the day it was Sunday dress up time. Suit, tie and the works. I know last time I went to church, I wore even by blue rag in my pocket. Later, QD.

{X}Echo419
04-28-2006, 06:12 AM

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: you're soooo funny....Not! :cool:

Hulud
04-28-2006, 11:58 AM
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: you're soooo funny....Not! :cool:
actually he is

{X}Echo419
04-28-2006, 01:04 PM
actually he is
that's a matter of opinion.

btw: I don't think people should wear shoes in church. but that's just me

Ryno
04-28-2006, 01:28 PM
that's a matter of opinion.

btw: I don't think people should wear shoes in church. but that's just me

Opinions are likes buttholes, we all have one and most of them stink. Luckily, mine is as clean as a whistle. :lmfao:

{X}Echo419
04-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Opinions are likes buttholes, we all have one and most of them stink. Luckily, mine is as clean as a whistle. :lmfao:

wow orginal

Romeyo07
05-01-2006, 07:31 AM
All churches should be "come as you are". If you feel inclined to dress up out of respect, then go ahead. There's times that I go to church wearling slacks and a button up, and other where I wear jeans and a polo shirt.

IMO, I don't think God cares. He's more concerned with getting you in there without worrying about what you're going to wear. Apparently my wife doesn't get this concept, and that explains why we're late everywhere we go.

green91
05-03-2006, 08:01 PM
my church dress code is bed sheets. thats because i dont go to church lol.. im still asleep

Hulud
05-03-2006, 08:07 PM
my church dress code is bed sheets. thats because i dont go to church lol.. im still asleep
wow that was fucking dumb

green91
05-03-2006, 08:09 PM
thanks

Hulud
05-03-2006, 08:13 PM
dumb comments will be deleted, this is your only warning

this isnt the whoreslounge, this is a discussion for adults

green91
05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
ok youre an idiot.

Hulud
05-03-2006, 08:16 PM
why do you say that? because you made a stupid post, that makes me an idiot?

green91
05-03-2006, 08:18 PM
No, just because of the way you came across.

Hulud
05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
No, just because of the way you came across.
:lmfao:

so saying your comment was dumb makes me an idiot? :rolleyes:

green91
05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Thats exactly what i said

Hulud
05-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Thats exactly what i said
that makes sense..... :rolleyes:

biblethumper
05-25-2006, 03:17 PM
I honestly dont think it should matter what you wear. You should be there to worship God not worry about how the person sitting next to you is dressed.