PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Vote Goes To Senate For $100 For Gas Checks For Tax All Taxpayers

Brett
04-27-2006, 11:45 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Every American taxpayer would get a $100 rebate check to offset the pain of higher pump prices for gasoline, under an amendment Senate Republicans hope to bring to a vote Thursday.

However, the GOP energy package may face tough sledding because it also includes a controversial proposal to open part of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska to oil exploration, which most Democrats and some moderate Republicans oppose.

Democrats are also expected to offer their own competing proposal, as members of both parties jockey for political position on the gas price issue.

The energy package, sponsored by Sens. Charles Grassley of Iowa, Ted Stevens of Alaska, Pete Domenici of New Mexico and Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, will be offered as an amendment to an emergency spending measure now before the Senate funding the Iraq war and hurricane relief, according to a senior GOP leadership aide.

Under Senate rules, either the GOP amendment or the Democratic alternative would probably need 60 votes to pass, which is considered unlikely. However, the amendments would give senators a change to cast votes on measures designed to help constituents being hit by high gas prices.

As outlined by the senior GOP leadership aide, the energy package would give taxpayers a $100 rebate, repeal tax incentives for oil companies and allow the Federal Trade Commission to prosecute retailers unlawfully inflating the price of gasoline.

The measure would also give the Transportation Department authority to issue fuel efficiency standards for passenger vehicles, expand tax incentives for the use of hybrid vehicles and push for more research into alternative fuels and expansion of existing oil refineries.

The GOP senators are also calling on the Bush administration to suspend deposits into the Strategic Petroleum Reserve for six months to increase the nation's oil supply. President Bush announced Tuesday that he would halt new deposits into the reserve until after the summer driving season. (Full story)

On the other side of the aisle, Democrats on Wednesday called for a new energy bill and federal legislation to punish price gougers.

"There's no reason why we can't put forth a real energy policy that addresses the needs of this nation," said Rep. Bart Stupak, a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, "from gouging to market manipulation to biofuels. We can do it." (Full story)

And leaders of the Senate Finance Committee on Wednesday asked the Internal Revenue Service to let them examine the tax returns of the nation's 15 largest oil and gas companies, as part of a "comprehensive review" of oil industry profits.

"I want to make sure the oil companies aren't taking a speed pass by the tax man," said Grassley, the committee's chairman, in a written statement.

TeeJay
04-27-2006, 11:46 AM
sweet...oh wait im not a taxpayer, i get paid under the table...fuck!!

Wurm
04-27-2006, 11:46 AM
give me my check

SwurvinIn
04-27-2006, 11:49 AM
hook it up....it takes $50 to fill up my HONDA!!! tell me thats not gouging?

Scrilla
04-27-2006, 11:50 AM
sweet...oh wait im not a taxpayer, i get paid under the table...fuck!!

hahhahaha.....mee 2.........:werd:

Stormhammer
04-27-2006, 11:53 AM
x3

but hmm - I still kinda have my doubts about them opening up a portion of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. I mean I can fully understand why, but just... I dunno

Ran
04-27-2006, 12:40 PM
$32 to fill a Miata. Yeah...I'll take my check now. :mad:

TeeJay
04-27-2006, 12:41 PM
i bet itll be at least a year before anybody sees their check.

R3RUN
04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
a few days ago the GOP blocked a bill that would have placed a higher tax on oil company profits. oh well.

The Golden Child
04-27-2006, 02:26 PM
what about the non-us citizens who pay tax ??

tony
04-27-2006, 02:32 PM
the hell? It seems people don't want the government in their life till it works to their benefit. $100 still isn't going to lower the gas prices, its a band aid fix and not a smart one.

With that said I'll still cash my check should it pass..

Now would be a good time to move to Alaska if you're looking to make a quick buck.

Alter Ego
04-27-2006, 03:00 PM
sweet and no money for the illegals!

Julio
04-27-2006, 03:11 PM
what a joke.. americans are such idiots sometimes.

SwurvinIn
04-27-2006, 03:19 PM
how will that work...like 20% of the population uses public transportation. how will they conclude who drives and who doesnt?

Alter Ego
04-27-2006, 03:28 PM
how will that work...like 20% of the population uses public transportation. how will they conclude who drives and who doesnt?
my guess would be the DMV records :doh:

1439/2000
04-27-2006, 03:29 PM

Car registration????

SwurvinIn
04-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Car registration????
damn...then i guess im fucked...i still got pennsylvania plates cause my shits still registered to my old addy in pittsburgh... :(

collins
04-27-2006, 04:34 PM
i honestly dont see it happening.