PDA

View Full Version : Revolver used in back to the future 2

Flip
04-27-2006, 03:41 AM
Does anyone know what kind of revolver was used in back to the future 3 when the doc shoots marty down from being hung in the town square? It was REALLY big and REALLY long... Looked sweet :). Any ideas? I'm searching google and not finding anyting. A little help would be appreciated...

Hektik
04-27-2006, 03:44 AM
im guessing u watched back to the future not to long ago........

TheSnail
04-27-2006, 03:45 AM
I would have to see a picture of the gun. Maybe a colt python?

Flip
04-27-2006, 03:46 AM
im guessing u watched back to the future not to long ago........

It's actually been a while but i've seen it a million times... My all time favorite movies... I'm just trying to decide on my next gun purchase and think it would be kinda sweet to have that huge revolver :).

Flip
04-27-2006, 03:47 AM
I just remember the barrel looking like it was a foot long...

Just looked at the colts and i don't think thats it... I think it was bigger.

Flip
04-27-2006, 03:56 AM
Maybe something like this but maybe longer barrel? :) This is 6 inch... I'm thinking it was a 12 inch. I want to find confirmation on what gun was actually used... Any back to the future geeks here besides me?

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/colt_python_elite.jpg

TheSnail
04-27-2006, 03:56 AM
If you want a huge revolver. You can get a Taurus Raging Bull for a pretty cheap. It is one of the most powerful handgun on the market. But being a .50 and a revolver, you will be bleeding from the nose once it hits you in the face with it's recoil
http://www.forsaken-game.com/gfx/content_042.jpg

http://www.nemesis.fi/tuote_kuvat/MH-210361.jpg

Flip
04-27-2006, 03:59 AM
WOAH! Thats crazy :) I like it !!!

TheSnail
04-27-2006, 04:03 AM
I was going to get my dad the Taurus for his birthday, but I have been thinking about getting it for myself. It is so big, pictures dont justify how large it is. Ive seen some big guns but that one tops it of. I want to get it not to shoot, but to pull it out, lay it on the table just to say "What now mother fucker!".

Flip
04-27-2006, 04:15 AM
I was going to get my dad the Taurus for his birthday, but I have been thinking about getting it for myself. It is so big, pictures dont justify how large it is. Ive seen some big guns but that one tops it of. I want to get it not to shoot, but to pull it out, lay it on the table just to say "What now mother fucker!".

LOL, that would get the point across :)

TheSnail
04-27-2006, 04:15 AM
They have a couple of callibers and like three diff barrel lengths. Basically, you want the largest of both. Model 500. Just look at the size of the trigger compared to the rest of the gun, maybe you can sense how big it is. I warn you, In real life if you see it, you will be like WTF!

http://www.taurususa.com/main/images/500.jpg

Flip
04-27-2006, 04:18 AM
THat does look pretty nice.

I keep thinking about the one in the movie tho, remembering how it was kinda old school looking but at the same time all shiney and silver and slightly high tech for the time looking. *droolll*

Flip
04-27-2006, 04:18 AM
I've never even shot a revolver so I'd bet i woudl be in for a big treat firing that gun.

HyPer50
04-27-2006, 04:34 AM
god damn.... that thing is insane lol.

Flip
04-27-2006, 04:49 AM
Fixed mistake... it was back to the future 3 that they went back to the old west...

Flip
04-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Any of the morning crew have any idea what gun it was?

HyPer50
04-27-2006, 06:57 AM
it's a noisy cricket, durrrr.

Flip
04-27-2006, 04:16 PM
lol i noticed that..

RandomGuy
04-27-2006, 06:12 PM
get a pounder revolver man...
Thats the one that they used in back to the future... I think the model was the bag.57 or something.
www.thepounder.com/bag.html

gijoe0720
04-27-2006, 06:16 PM
is this the one?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://netlinkenterprises.com/prodimages/38-102.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.starterpistol.com/proddetail.php%3Fprod%3D38-102&h=315&w=445&sz=25&tbnid=GjBM9TxzujjTjM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=124&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drevolvers%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr %3D%26sa%3DG (www.bottleguy.com)

Flip
04-27-2006, 06:18 PM
get a pounder revolver man...
Thats the one that they used in back to the future... I think the model was the bag.57 or something.
www.thepounder.com/bag.html

I'll pass on the pounder :P

Crazy Asian
04-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Or if you want go with .500 AHAHAHAH Smith and Westen. Puts the silly Targus to shame no offense Snail

TheSnail
04-27-2006, 11:02 PM
You are right, but I was listing a cheap priced big revolver. 400 something for the taurus, and 1200+ for the S&W

TheSnail
04-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Damn! I just checked the spec's of the S&W 500. Let me put it this way. I have been searching various 22cal ammo lately, most rounds have an energy a hair over 100ft-lbs. When I checked the S&W 500 .50 magnum, to my horror it listed 2578 ft-lbs :eek:

RandomGuy
04-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Damn! I just checked the spec's of the S&W 500. Let me put it this way. I have been serching various 22cal ammo, most rounds have an energy a hair over 100ft-lbs. When I checked the S&W 500 .50 magnum, to my horror it listed 2578 ft-lbs :eek:
what do you expect... obviously it will exert much more energy, the mass of the .50 round is HUGEEEE

mini 22 rounds = might as well be a watergun

RandomGuy
04-27-2006, 11:12 PM
ive always wanted to shoot a .50 long barrel one, I held many and boyyy those are heavy, never actually shot one though

Flip
04-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Or if you want go with .500 AHAHAHAH Smith and Westen. Puts the silly Targus to shame no offense Snail

OOoooo that looks fun :).

TheSnail
04-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I checked the Beretta m107 .50bmg to see the ft-lbs

11,500 ft-lbs !

https://peosoldier.army.mil/photos/M107.jpg

RandomGuy
04-27-2006, 11:25 PM
I checked the Beretta m107 .50bmg to see the ft-lbs

11,500 ft-lbs !

https://peosoldier.army.mil/photos/M107.jpg
that thing is INSANE... no joke

theres a video of it on the net... where they're doing some Snail type shit but to real people in afganistan or something....
The M107 is like military issue and shit and fuckin badass

You just hear BOOOM then a second later the person is flying in the air in peices (literally)

TheSnail
04-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah Ive see that video, it’s insane. I checked them out on gunbroker to see you can buy one. You can and they cost about 9k but think what it would do to a squirrel!

RandomGuy
04-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah Ive see that video, it’s insane. I checked them out on gunbroker to see you can buy one. You can and they cost about 9k but think what it would do to a squirrel!
lol but you dont even have to hit the squirrel pretty much, lol just the shockwave it gives off and the crater it puts in the relative vicinity of the squirrel would be enough LOL

dude seriously i say you get into archery

TheSnail
04-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Talking about archery. I bought a crossbow about 2years ago, and for over the past year I could not find it anywhere. Well about 3hrs ago I went in to my brothers closet and found it in a box. Its a 50lb pistol crossbow, but it still goes through 3/8" plywood.

RandomGuy
04-28-2006, 12:57 AM
Talking about archery. I bought a crossbow about 2years ago, and for over the past year I could not find it anywhere. Well about 3hrs ago I went in to my brothers closet and found it in a box. Its a 50lb pistol crossbow, but it still goes through 3/8" plywood.
lol ... psh 50lb... mofo when i was 12-13 i fucked with 120lb

TheSnail
04-28-2006, 01:00 AM
LOL, I bought it new at a flee market coming back from the beach for $20.

RandomGuy
04-28-2006, 01:09 AM
LOL, I bought it new at a flee market coming back from the beach for $20.
flea markets were the shit... i remember as a kid buying those rubber band guns... shits looked pretty real, and u can load like 5-10 bands in at once, there was a wheel in the back that spun.. get the wide rubber bands and SPLAT , shits hurted a little

Crazy Asian
04-28-2006, 01:21 AM
dealiest pistol in the world
or the most powerfulest. Shit I want that S and W

MODEL 500 S&W MAGNUM REVOLVER

In the 1971 movie "Dirty Harry," actor Clint Eastwood introduced the world to the double-action Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44-cal. Magnum revolver--"the most powerful handgun in the world."

It was a crown S&W wore proudly, albeit briefly.

The rising popularity of handgun hunting for big game (spurred largely by the .44 Magnum itself) prompted the introduction of newer and significantly more powerful revolver cartridges. Many powerful enough that they had to be chambered in single-action handguns because existing double-action designs could not contain the recoil forces and pressures they produced.

Since S&W does not make single-action revolvers, and no double-action frame at its disposal could handle the new loads, S&W was effectively dethroned.

At the 2003 Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show, the manufacturer regained its crown. And, most significantly, it did it by introducing a new massive double-action revolver that is chambered for an equally new .50-cal. cartridge.

The S&W X-frame Model 500 is a brawny handgun designed to master the most rigorous hunting fields in the world. It is not a revolver one would, or likely could, tuck into a waistband. In fact, to call it massive is an understatement.

With its 8-3/8-in. barrel, the overall length of the Model 500 is 15 in. and the empty weight is 4.5 pounds. The cylinder alone is almost 2 in. in diameter and approaches 2.25 in. in length. Thumb the cylinder open and five charge holes await. Each is 1/2 in. in diameter, and the .50-cal. cartridges they hold are almost 2 in. long. Load five of them and the total weight of the handgun climbs to 5 pounds.

You don't just casually pick up a Model 500. You have to lift it.

Fire even one of those big cartridges and you'll appreciate why the weight and mass are there.

When the .44 Magnum laid claim to being the most powerful handgun in the world, its standard load produced about 900 ft.-lb. of muzzle energy. Several new loads have since eclipsed that, but the handgun most commonly used by big game hunters is the .454 Casull, which will generate about 1900 ft.-lb.

The 500 S&W Magnum will produce almost 2600 ft.-lb. with its heaviest load, and more powerful loads may well be on the way.

If Dirty Harry felt that the .44 Magnum would make his day, the new 500 S&W Magnum would certainly make his decade. It is the largest double-action revolver available, and there is no production revolver in the world--single or double action--capable of matching, or even approaching, the level of power it produces.

Harnessing that power in a double-action revolver, however, required some departures from traditional designs.

Rethinking Double-Action Design
No frame in the S&W line was capable of containing the 500 Magnum, so the new X-frame was designed specifically for the 500's .50-cal. cartridge. It is massive. But, just making a bigger double-action revolver was not the solution. A major concern was the barrel-to-frame connection. This is traditionally done by simply screwing the barrel into the front of the frame, but this design places all firing stress at that one point. To increase strength throughout the 500's barrel assembly, S&W opted for a composite barrel/shroud system.

A stainless steel barrel tube is torqued into the frame to form a solid rear attachment point. A separate, heavy stainless steel shroud is then slipped over the barrel and braced against the forward portion of the frame. The muzzle end of the barrel bears against the forward end of the shroud, and a separate compensator/muzzle brake is then rotated into place under torque at the muzzle end of the shroud.

This arrangement compresses the shroud and places the barrel tube under tension for its entire length. In effect, the barrel and shroud act as linear springs to distribute the stress of firing across the entire barrel/shroud component instead of focusing it all at the single junction of the barrel and frame.

Maintaining precise cylinder alignment was another concern. Traditional designs utilize a front- and rear-cylinder lockup, with the forward end of the ejector rod bearing against a ball-detent fixture on the barrel to provide the front lockup. Given the power of the 500 Magnum, the potential for flex in the ejector rod had to be addressed. The solution was to dispense with that design and install a massive ball-detent lock on the frame itself, directly below the barrel forcing cone. This mates with the yoke to provide a solid front lockup directly at the front of the cylinder. Combined with the traditional rear lockup, this is the strongest cylinder alignment design possible.

While the 500 S&W Magnum answers the question of "where's the beef?" the company wisely decided to incorporate the same grip dimensions found on its much smaller K-frame handguns. Experienced handgunners regard this as one of the best handgun grips ever made.

Thus, the 500 Magnum is a big revolver that's strong where it needs to be, but is comfortable to handle. That was borne out during firing tests.

On The Firing Line
Despite the power of the cartridge, the 500 S&W Magnum is surprisingly controllable. Due largely to the sheer mass of the revolver (combined with the muzzle-heavy balance and an excellent muzzle brake), the violent wrist-wrenching muzzle whip associated with single-action revolvers firing such powerful loads as the .454 Casull and the .475 Linebaugh has been tamed considerably.

In those guns, muzzle rise on recoil can reach 90° and present a hazard to the shooter. With even the heaviest 500 Magnum load tested, muzzle rise was confined to the 50° range and there was never any concern about the shooter wearing an imprint of the front sight in his forehead. That does not mean it's a pussycat. Make no mistake about it, this is not a handgun for the timid or the inexperienced. In comparison tests, the lightest 500 load--the 275-grain jacketed hollowpoint at 1665-ft.-per-second (fps) velocity--produced a modest, but noticeable, increase in recoil levels over a S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum. Anyone who is uncomfortable with the .44 Magnum will be decidedly uncomfortable with the 500 Magnum. The 440 cast-lead load at 1625 fps raised the recoil bar significantly. Muzzle rise still remained under 50° and placed little or no stress on the wrists, but the rearward thrust absorbed by the shooting hand began to become uncomfortable after 10 to 15 rounds. A shooting glove would have mitigated some of that.

Still, considering that the projectile weight and velocity of this load is virtually identical to a 1-ounce 12-ga. rifled lead shotgun slug--and that the 500 Magnum operates at over four times the pressure level of the slug--the recoil was less than expected. We'd say that Dirty Harry would certainly approve.

**There are 4 more articles from Popular Mechanics related to this handgun. They can be linked to by using the link I provided at the beginning of this answer

Crazy Asian
04-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Thatll blow a bears head off with ease. Damn imagine shooting that at a car HAHAAHAH that would be tight

Jaimecbr900
04-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Just a couple of quick searches netted me these:

500 S&W video with and w/o comp:
http://www.bp-tec.com/slomo/500swsus.wmv

454 Cassull video also w/ and w/o comp:
http://www.bp-tec.com/avi/454cau.wmv

500 Linebaugh video again w/ and w/o comp:
http://www.bp-tec.com/slomo/500bowen.wmv

What the 454 Casull single action looks like shooting full loads:
http://www.pistolwhipvideo.com/images/wallpaper.jpg

A slide show on the 454 Casull again, notice the kick:
http://www.pistolwhipvideo.com/454slides.htm

44 mag on the left, 45 colt on the right, 500 mag in the middle:
http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW500/Thumbs/MVC-009F.jpg

I wish I could find the video where this guy almost hits himself on the forehead from the kick of a 454 Casull. I'll look to see if I can find it. It's too funny.

Flip
04-28-2006, 02:19 AM
Hey thanks for allt he info crazy asian! and jaimecbr900!!