PDA

View Full Version : Misc All of Us

BluesClues
04-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Does anyone else watch the show All of Us? Well, I watch it every Monday and last night they had a good subject on there. Everyone may think this is a repost and it is, but the show got me thinking. How black folks have turned the word (or try to) Nigger into Nigga an everyday slang word. Why was it so offensive then and so nonchalant now? A character on the show said "if you use er, you will end up in the er. If you use a, then it's aye what up." There was a white couple on there too and the lady said "I don't like that word at all. With a or without." The main character played by Lisa said in response to the white lady "Are you actually offended or are you embarrased?" I have been thinking about this all day. Why is it ok for us to call each other niggas, but get mad when someone calls us a nigger or white folks call us niggas? Is there really a difference in the two?
What are your views?

B16a2 Civic
04-25-2006, 11:52 AM
because we turned a derrigitory(sp) term white folks used into a positive thing

PSINXS
04-25-2006, 11:52 AM
i do have a select few white friends that i let them say nigga. some of my white friends grew up around black ppl so its pretty much all they know. Then some of my other white friends call each other nigga and i dont mind when they say it. I'm cool with them and still view it as a term of endearment.

I know puerto ricans that call each other nigga. Nigga is becoming a universal word. its not just black anymore.

BluesClues
04-25-2006, 11:58 AM
because we turned a derrigitory(sp) term white folks used into a positive thing
Not neccessarily. Like said last night by a little boy "that word means criminal because my mom said that is who broke into our car." We don't always use that word in a positive way. I've heard it used to describe an ignorant black person, to cus someone out, all sorts of ways. Nigga is not always a positive word. Some white folks (who still hate black people) use Nigga in hatred.

B16a2 Civic
04-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Not neccessarily. Like said last night by a little boy "that word means criminal because my mom said that is who broke into our car." We don't always use that word in a positive way. I've heard it used to describe an ignorant black person, to cus someone out, all sorts of ways. Nigga is not always a positive word. Some white folks (who still hate black people) use Nigga in hatred.

See, yoru just lookin at it wrong
nigger was used to put black folks down
we use nigga to address each other, therefore turning what used to be negative, into somethin positive.
White people can say nigger now, but how many people are still offended by it?
all the black folks i know could care less if a white person calls em nigger, doesnt really have the same effect anymore

BluesClues
04-25-2006, 12:18 PM
See, yoru just lookin at it wrong
nigger was used to put black folks down
we use nigga to address each other, therefore turning what used to be negative, into somethin positive.
White people can say nigger now, but how many people are still offended by it?
all the black folks i know could care less if a white person calls em nigger, doesnt really have the same effect anymore
I have to disagree. I know plenty of people including myself that would still get offended if a white person called me a nigger. That word is used to put black people down so if used, they are trying to put that person down and say they are worthless and don't deserve to be addressed like a human being.
Nigga may sometimes be used in a positive way, but is also used in a negative way.
My question is, why use a word that is so controversy?

B16a2 Civic
04-25-2006, 12:20 PM
cause sensitive people turn it into a controversy
it doesnt have the same effect for "most of us".
i really dont kno what to tell you if you dont like the word, cause like Brandon said, everyone uses it, not only blacks

BluesClues
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
cause sensitive people turn it into a controversy
it doesnt have the same effect for "most of us".
i really dont kno what to tell you if you dont like the word, cause like Brandon said, everyone uses it, not only blacks
I don't have a problem with the word. I use it as well. I was just saying it's amazing how a word that was used to put blacks down is now used in our everday language by everyone. The show just made me think

B16a2 Civic
04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't have a problem with the word. I use it as well. I was just saying it's amazing how a word that was used to put blacks down is now used in our everday language by everyone. The show just made me think

i feel ya, they had a special about it on BET one day, i mean its crazy, it just shows how people can just turn things around with just a word and how it makes you feel
like if someone says " yeah , you my nigga"...you kno its a good thing

BluesClues
04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
^^^ tru

TeeJay
04-25-2006, 12:25 PM
hay....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/timbo1380/cosbysig1.jpg

BluesClues
04-25-2006, 12:27 PM
hay....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/timbo1380/cosbysig1.jpg

TeeJay
04-25-2006, 12:30 PM
on a serious note, though, i have never heard of All of Us. what is it about and what channel is it on??

BluesClues
04-25-2006, 12:35 PM
on a serious note, though, i have never heard of All of Us. what is it about and what channel is it on??
It comes on UPN on Mondays at 8:30. It is about a man who has his ex-wife and child living with him