PDA

View Full Version : 10 Ways To Save Star Trek

Brett
04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Last week's news that "Lost" creator and "Mission: Impossible III" director J.J. Abrams was taking the reins of the next "Star Trek" movie set off a flurry of buzz in the geek world. Paramount knows it needs to revitalize Trek (the studio is desperate for any kind of franchise), and Abrams is the sort of legit talent Trekkies never thought they would see come on board. This intriguing news was tempered though when it was learned that Abrams' pitch involved a prequel featuring younger versions of Captain Kirk and Spock. Because the new flick isn't expected to come out until summer 2008, perhaps these 10 suggestions to save the franchise can help change Abrams' mind.

No Prequels
Unless you're telling the history of lightsaber-wielding Jedis, prequels don't work (and even the "Star Wars" example is debatable). No one is going to die, nothing tragic is going to happen and no real drama is going to take place because nothing significant is at stake. So, of course, Abrams is doing a prequel.

Don't Make the Starfleet Academy Movie Fans Have Hated for Years
So, of course, Abrams starts out his flick with young Kirk and Spock ... meeting at the Academy. Memo: Nobody wants "Felicity" in space.

Stay Away from Time Travel
Time travel has been so overdone in this franchise that it's become just another Trek cliché. Avoid all clichés.

Bring Back Spock, Old Spock
Leonard Nimoy and Spock are both still alive, people (the Vulcan was last seen helping the underground on Romulus). Couldn't a new movie set in the "current" Trek universe with a new cast include Spock as a nod to the old-school show's fans?

Make It Cinematic
Just how epic a filmmaker can Abrams be? One of the biggest problems with the last few Trek movies was that they felt like extended TV episodes (see "Insurrection"). To really reignite the franchise, the movies need to have a grand scope like a true epic. Trek hasn't seen anything like that since the Enterprise was stolen way back in "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock."

Ditch the Annoying Characters
Let's be honest, did anyone care that Data died in "Nemesis"? No, Brent Spiner is a fine actor, but Data was the first of the annoying characters that began to fill the series when former producer Rick Berman was brought on board (also see Quark, Neelix and Dr. Phlox). Yes Trekkies, I know Gene Roddenberry created Data, but the man wasn't infallible either.

Nix the Uniforms
If you want to get teenage boys interested in the franchise, you have to radically redesign the uniforms, whatever the era. Jumpsuits that look like they were ripped off the guy running the Tomorrowland ride at Disney World aren't going to cut it.

Don't Film on the Paramount Lot
There's a whole production crew on the Paramount lot that has worked on the Trek features and TV shows forever. Nothing would give the franchise a better jolt than hiring a whole new crew and filming in Canada or London away from the industry glare.

Spend Money
People will only take this movie seriously if the Enterprise's sets don't look like they're being held together by masking tape (imagine them in person) and the CGI doesn't look like it was done on someone's home computer (again, see "Insurrection").

Hire Real Movie Stars
If Abrams thinks he's going to convince someone such as Jake Gyllenhaal to play a young Kirk or Topher Grace to play a young Spock, he's sadly mistaken. None of those guys wants to risk the embarrassment of mimicking those iconic characters. New characters? Maybe.

ShooterMcGavin
04-25-2006, 10:27 AM
interesting, yet so nerdy/geeky at the same time :D

Brett
04-25-2006, 10:28 AM
^^ made your nipples hard huh?

Wurm
04-25-2006, 10:32 AM
i hated star trek. I watched it from time to time when i was a kid but it really did not interest me.

ShooterMcGavin
04-25-2006, 10:37 AM
^^ made your nipples hard huh?
*touches nipples* that's negatory brett, no nipple hardness here :eye: :D

Brett
04-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Just checkin, Thats for the update!! :D

Leisa
04-25-2006, 10:51 AM
I hear all this talk about hard nipples, wow.... whats going on in here....

and star trek sucks!

Brett
04-25-2006, 10:55 AM
and star trek sucks!

FUK U

babygurl
04-25-2006, 10:56 AM
STAR TREK SUCKS!!!!!

ShooterMcGavin
04-25-2006, 10:57 AM
^^^ooooh seemed kinda touchy there, is brett a closet trekkie? :lmfao:

Brett
04-25-2006, 10:59 AM
^^^ooooh seemed kinda touchy there, is brett a closet trekkie? :lmfao:

Nah, I dont hide it...LOL. I Only liked the movies, and the only show I liked was the Next Generation cast, The other spinoffs and shit I never wated time on

ShooterMcGavin
04-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Nah, I dont hide it...LOL. I Only liked the movies, and the only show I liked was the Next Generation cast, The other spinoffs and shit I never wated time on

:werd: heh, same here actually. in fact i just picked up all 4 movies w/the next gen cast on it for like $25 bucks. :goodjob:

Leisa
04-25-2006, 11:16 AM
FUK U

fuk u!

The Yousef
04-25-2006, 11:21 AM
yeah...please no prequels...prequels are gay....

Brett
04-25-2006, 11:29 AM
:werd: heh, same here actually. in fact i just picked up all 4 movies w/the next gen cast on it for like $25 bucks. :goodjob:

Where at?

Brett
04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
yeah...please no prequels...prequels are gay....

Its funny that the #1 answer given is the idea thats coming out. I posted in the movie section about it a week ago. They are coming out with the next Star Trek movie to be released in '08. Its gonna be when Kirk and Spock are young and go out on thier first space mission.

ShooterMcGavin
04-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Where at?
online through deepdiscountdvds buy 2 get 1 deal :goodjob:

Brett
04-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Damn I have Nemesis (Thelast one) on DVD but thats it :(

ShooterMcGavin
04-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Its funny that the #1 answer given is the idea thats coming out. I posted in the movie section about it a week ago. They are coming out with the next Star Trek movie to be released in '08. Its gonna be when Kirk and Spock are young and go out on thier first space mission.
honestly though there's really no where else to turn. just about the entire cast of both the old and new (next gen) series are gettin older or just played out. and instead of trying to continue a story with new actors for the existing characters, just start from a beginning that's never been explored before where u can use different actors anyway.

ShooterMcGavin
04-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Damn I have Nemesis (Thelast one) on DVD but thats it :(
well go pick up the other 3 for like $19, no tax, no shipping. pm me if you want the link.