PDA

View Full Version : updated pics of my bike

Eli
04-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Upgraded a few things...

New exhaust- went with a high mount in black from Holeshot (Dale Walker's Racing Shop).

And the stock rear end had a huge mud flap shovel thing, so i replaced it with the Hotbodies undertail with LED turn signals.

http://photos-278.facebook.com/n17/163/112/39800404/n39800404_30338278_7971.jpg
http://photos-279.facebook.com/n17/163/112/39800404/n39800404_30338279_8572.jpg
http://photos-676.facebook.com/n20/176/4/39800095/n39800095_30344676_3941.jpg

imbosile
04-20-2006, 06:52 PM
damn, that is awesome. ive never noticed a bike with the license plate that far back. looks great.

Eli
04-20-2006, 07:26 PM
damn, that is awesome. ive never noticed a bike with the license plate that far back. looks great.

Yeah... licence plate is in question right now, i dont really have any where else to mount it unless i either buy a thing to attatch it to my rear swing arm or use brackets and bolt it into my undertail (which ruins the looks of the undertail and ruins the flow of the rear of the bike)

Hoping if i get pulled over I just get a fix-it ticket, haha.

CopyRight
04-20-2006, 08:14 PM
you need boots & gloves something fierce.

get a summer leather jacket too. That mesh wouldnt last 100ft if you got off the bike....mesh jackets are just a waste of money imo....you are on the right path, but get good gear.

they make summer & winter gloves.

get some sidi boots, best around.

and get rid of the chikin strips ;)

ironchef
04-20-2006, 08:30 PM
How do you like the bike? If I ever get one, thats probably one of the main ones i'd look at.

Eli
04-20-2006, 08:33 PM
you need boots & gloves something fierce.

get a summer leather jacket too. That mesh wouldnt last 100ft if you got off the bike....mesh jackets are just a waste of money imo....you are on the right path, but get good gear.

they make summer & winter gloves.

get some sidi boots, best around.

and get rid of the chikin strips ;)

HAHA- i knew someone would comment on my lack of gear in that pic, i debated about even putting it up since i wasn't fully geared in it.

i have gloves, im just bad about always wearing them. i dont have motorcycle boots or pants yet so i usually just wear jeans and boots (though i have my running shoes on there... whoops...)

and that is my "summer jacket", its also my winter jacket- it has a liner and an outshell to zip on or off depending on the weather, its a Joe Rocket. Dealer suggested it to me, its alright- probably will upgrade later on though.

Eli
04-20-2006, 08:36 PM
How do you like the bike? If I ever get one, thats probably one of the main ones i'd look at.

Freakin love it- though not the FASTEST thing around (compared with other sportbikes), its got amazing torque thanks to the V-twin and handles real nice. sounds great with my new exhuast too.

CopyRight
04-20-2006, 09:13 PM
trust me when I say this...that jacket will do absolutely squat if you ever hit the ground.

I dont care what the dealer told you, it's not his skin.

Put that sucker up on ebay and get some money for it, and get a full leather jacket that is perforated. You can take the linear out on hot days, and in the winter with the linear it's perfectly fine.

It's been argued too long about how much a mesh jacket can stand up too...it's under 100ft. And 99.9% of the time, if you take a spill in a mesh jacket, it's done.

At least in a leather, it can take quite a beating. My leather jacket and suit have hit the ground a time or two, and no rips or tears whatsoever.

I dont want to come off like a father figure here, just think that all cyclist need the proper equipment, and mesh jackets are not that.

ironchef
04-20-2006, 10:03 PM
For normal riding, do ya'll do full leather suit? Or just a leather jacket/jeans or something.

CopyRight
04-21-2006, 07:38 AM
For normal riding, do ya'll do full leather suit? Or just a leather jacket/jeans or something.

because I've highsided before in a mesh....I'll never wear one EVER again. I dont care how much padding and protection it seems to have...they are absolute pieces of shit.

I have a perforated alpinestars jacket that I wear with some jeans, and I always wear boots, and I have like 3 different sets of summer gloves.

for winter, I have a non perforated leather icon jacket and I'm as warm as can be with some full length gloves as well.

leather suit is only for mountain runs and track days....I see some jokers who wear it around for just city driving, but hey....it's their skin not mine. I just dont take it that far.

my theory has always been...buy the right gear the first time.

hell, with the amount of gear I bought, it's about close to half of what I paid for my bike.

ScreaminZetec
04-21-2006, 08:37 AM
because I've highsided before in a mesh....I'll never wear one EVER again. I dont care how much padding and protection it seems to have...they are absolute pieces of shit.

I have a perforated alpinestars jacket that I wear with some jeans, and I always wear boots, and I have like 3 different sets of summer gloves.

for winter, I have a non perforated leather icon jacket and I'm as warm as can be with some full length gloves as well.

leather suit is only for mountain runs and track days....I see some jokers who wear it around for just city driving, but hey....it's their skin not mine. I just dont take it that far.

hell, with the amount of gear I bought, it's about close to half of what I paid for my bike.

I'm the same way I have at least a grand or 2 worth of gear. I had a buddy wreck with mesh and the rash he got made it look like he was riding in a t-shirt. I stopped wearing mine after that. I wear full leathers all the time if I'm just riding around/mtns. And I wear my leather jacket and jeans and sidi boots when im headed somewhere like to a friends place or something like that. Even jeans will do nothing if you go for a slide. They burn through really fast. But I guess thats I risk I take sometimes.

But Eli the bike looks great! Awesome choice in bike and I really like the undertail and pipe!! :goodjob: :goodjob: Have fun with it. I agree with copyright gotta loose those chicken strips though. haha

EP3sAreFun
04-21-2006, 09:23 AM

gear nazi!!

kidding! I went off my bike a few years ago, didnt have gloves on, was wearing shorts and teenis shoes, however i had a SHOEI RF1000( i thkn was the model, it was one of the replicas) and a nice Joe rocket leather jacket, if it wasnt for those two, my dumb ass wouldnt be walking right now.

if you go into any cycle shop you can buy some slip on gloves with kevlar covering the knuckles thats all you really need, i never found the gauntlets very comfy, oh and after my accident i wore riding jeans and some shoes with plates made into them, and ALWAYS gloves. some scars never go away.

SUPER nice bike there, Eli

HiPSI
04-21-2006, 09:45 AM
holy chikkin strips!

undertail looks good but i'd get the bracket for it and move the plate up. it doesn't look bad at all when done with a nice little bracket, you could go right between the blinkers and then angle the tag up to clear the wheel.

as for the mesh vs. leather, mesh is no stronger than jeans. i've been with plenty of people that crashed in jeans and mesh gear and every one of them came out with rash, even sub 30mph lowsides. try lowsiding without gloves on.... mine saved my hands completely and that was only ~15mph.

Hektik
04-21-2006, 10:13 AM
nice bike:goodjob: :goodjob: ...
what are chikin strips:dunno:

Eli
04-21-2006, 02:13 PM
guys, i dont even have 1300 miles on my bike yet... leave the chicken strips alone.

looks like maybe i should do what ive been wanting to do and buy some new gear and max out the credit card, haha...

CopyRight
04-21-2006, 02:47 PM
guys, i dont even have 1300 miles on my bike yet... leave the chicken strips alone.

looks like maybe i should do what ive been wanting to do and buy some new gear and max out the credit card, haha...

1300 miles?!?! playboy....chikin strips go within the first 50-100miles of new tires.

Don't go nuts with buying gear, do your research on who has the best prices. I have 0 store loyalty....it's who's got the best prices.

www.kneedraggers.com has some good deals every now and then,
but then you have plenty of dealers who put brand new stuff up on ebay...

it's a nice bike, and the highmount looks awesome, have you seen the full fairing kit they make? I think it completes the S model.

HiPSI
04-21-2006, 03:55 PM
motostrano.com is doing a killer deal on the Shift leathers right now for $339 if you say you are a member of supermotojunkie.com. they are "supermoto" leathers so they lack velcro for knee pucks and are a more relaxed riding position, but a killer set of leathers for a great deal. you can have the velcro stitched on later when you get rid of the chikkin strips ;).

seriously though, i had them gone off the new bike on the first ride :D

ironchef
04-21-2006, 07:24 PM
nice bike:goodjob: :goodjob: ...
what are chikin strips:dunno:Yea, what are they?

Lots of good info in this thread though for bike noobies and hopeful future bike noobies like myself. :goodjob:

CopyRight
04-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Yea, what are they?

Lots of good info in this thread though for bike noobies and hopeful future bike noobies like myself. :goodjob:

outlined in red for you

basically it's the edges of the tire....they are refered to as "chikin strips" because of how much balls do you have to scrub the edges of the tires. Because, if you have none, it pretty much means you are pushing the bike pretty hard, and you are pretty much in in corners at an aggressive lean.

So all these bikers you see who show up at the "V" or any of the meets...let the tires do the talking....if they have chikin strips a mile wide, they arent nothing but mall cruisers.

Hektik
04-21-2006, 07:56 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooo........ ok ....:goodjob: :goodjob:

EP3sAreFun
04-21-2006, 08:01 PM
by the time i got rid of my gsxr, the middle of the tires practicly still had knobs on them :) but the outside was bald

CopyRight
04-21-2006, 08:06 PM
by the time i got rid of my gsxr, the middle of the tires practicly still had knobs on them :) but the outside was bald

that's the way to ride'em.

I couldnt tell you how many times I see flat centered tires with plenty of tire nipples on the edges....it's ridiculous.

Eli
04-21-2006, 11:33 PM
oh well if i chicken strips, this is my first bike and im man enough to say im not comfortable to not ride to the bike to its absolute limits which would eliminate the "chicken strips". once i become more comfortable with riding and with my bike, they will be gone, till then, OH WELL.

civic95
04-22-2006, 03:10 AM
Don't let them get to you, never ride above your limit.

David88vert
04-22-2006, 06:30 AM
I have lots of gear, including a mesh jacket and gloves. I personally have not been a crash test dummy in all of these years, so it has done well for me. :-)

That being said, I have several friends that have been down in mesh, and they have been down in leather. While mesh is obviously not as good as leather, I have yet to see a quality mesh jacket rip.
Example: A couple of years ago, one of the guys even looped it at over 90 and slide a long way in his mesh - staying on the asphalt the whole time. The jacket did not rip. It was an old JR Phoenix.

IMO, saying that all mesh jackets are junk is incorrect. They are great if you are just riding around town on a hot day. Much better than just a T-shirt (like you see a lot of people). I'd rather be cool and focused and not wreck, than thinking about how safe (and hot) I am in leather, and then wreck.

BTW - If you are wearing leather only, are you wearing a real CE2 certified back protector? I mean, after all, if you aren't, that's just not safe. :D
And before anyone gets upset, my point is - some gear is better than no gear at all, and type of gear is suited to a specific task. I wouldn't get on the track in anything less than full leathers, with back protector, etc. But that's not practical to ride 10 min over to a friends house at 45 mph. I choose my Draggin Jeans, JR mesh, and Sidis for that.

David88vert
04-22-2006, 06:30 AM
oh well if i chicken strips, this is my first bike and im man enough to say im not comfortable to not ride to the bike to its absolute limits which would eliminate the "chicken strips". once i become more comfortable with riding and with my bike, they will be gone, till then, OH WELL.

Get rid of the chicken strips at the track. It will happen very naturally there. :)

YokotaS13
04-22-2006, 07:25 AM
hey smart guy, try some fuckign gloves on douche

girly_typeR
04-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Sweet Bike. :)

CopyRight
04-23-2006, 06:26 PM
hey smart guy, try some fuckign gloves on douche

lol....it has been brought to his attention.

and Eli, I wasnt trying to rip on you....everyone starts somewhere....and I'm glad you are riding at a comfortable pace....

you can get a cheap ICON backprotector that fits under your jacket....it's snug and I've get to try it out...but it looks like it will help.

Eli
04-25-2006, 11:55 AM
lol....it has been brought to his attention.

and Eli, I wasnt trying to rip on you....everyone starts somewhere....and I'm glad you are riding at a comfortable pace....

you can get a cheap ICON backprotector that fits under your jacket....it's snug and I've get to try it out...but it looks like it will help.

Its cool man, you werent ripping on me. I know i should wear gloves everytime i ride but i choose not too, I probably should wear my seatbelt when I drive my Jeep too...

That jacket has a back protector in it, guess you cant see it in the pics though...

Im eyeing some Sidi boots right now... just havent ordered them quite yet...

ScreaminZetec
04-28-2006, 02:51 PM

There's nothing wrong with chicken strips. We've all had em, its part of riding. Hell I'm still slow compared to most guys out there. The important thing is have fun. Who cares how fast you go or how big your chicken strips are, the main thing is to just have a blast riding. :goodjob: :goodjob:

AznTraitor
04-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Its cool man, you werent ripping on me. I know i should wear gloves everytime i ride but i choose not too, I probably should wear my seatbelt when I drive my Jeep too...

That jacket has a back protector in it, guess you cant see it in the pics though...

Im eyeing some Sidi boots right now... just havent ordered them quite yet...

get a small bottle of oil too....Sidi's start squeaking afterwhile....but great boots none the less.

ScreaminZetec
04-28-2006, 07:59 PM
get a small bottle of oil too....Sidi's start squeaking afterwhile....but great boots none the less.

Oh yeah they squeak a good bit, I cant sneak up on anyone haha. I sound like the the tin man.