PDA

View Full Version : HELP! ***Starter Problem, AGAIN!***

tofufighter
04-19-2006, 10:39 AM
**UPDATE**
not the starter after all. Car is now at Honda dealer cause my mechanic can't figure this out. He thinks it's some electrical problem. ECU is prohibiting the car to start some how. I'm thinking of disconnecting the VAFC. Has any body had this problem?

So, I just bought this prelude and the previous owner told me he replaced all kinds of stuff on the car including the starter all about 4 months ago.

Today I go and try to start the car and nothing. The battery is fully charged. The car doesn't even make a sound when I turn the ignition. So, I conclude that the starter is out/bad.

So I call the previous owner and he told me he went through three starters in 6 monthes. I was like WTF :rant: .

It seem that it's beyond a fluke now. What could be causing the starter to burn out!

Oh yeah, the car has a MSD ignition system in it. Could it be that's what is causing the starter to play out???

Stormhammer
04-19-2006, 12:20 PM
make sure the ignitor is connected properly

tofufighter
04-20-2006, 07:59 PM
I checked the ignition system, it's not that. It's definatley the starter.

So does anyone know what's causing the starter to burn out?
Could it be a incorrect install of the ignition???

3kgtdrvr
04-20-2006, 08:09 PM
the pinion gear might notbe coming back in too well, but that wouldnt explain it if it was like 3 other starters. maye check current too it and if anything like drips on it. :dunno:

tofufighter
04-22-2006, 06:05 PM
So I get a call from my mechanic today saying that he replaced the starter and the car STILL doesn't start :rant: . Kinda pisses me off, but he said he would put the old one back on. He thinks the VAFC might be disrupting the ignition system somehow. Does anybody have any experience with this???

I remember surfing through some menus the night before it went dead, but I didn't change in settings (I thought). Well hopefully it gets fixed some. Life without a car sucks.

turbosx©
04-22-2006, 06:37 PM
check your ignition switch

tofufighter
04-22-2006, 06:48 PM
yeah we checked that it worked fine. :goodjob:

turbosx©
04-22-2006, 08:57 PM
check all the wiring to the starter from the battery to the ignition switch to the starter including grounds

91199si
04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
check again make sure that nothing is buring the starter

tofufighter
04-27-2006, 12:06 AM
HELP PLEASE
read above

BLk92DA
04-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Does anybody have any experience with this???

my integra does the same thing...when i try to crank it, nothing. no spark whatsoever...so what i do is jump start it. it cranks up fine afterwards.
if i go in a store and come back out, it fires.

i come to a conclusion that if i let the car sit for more than 10 hours...it will not start. anything less, it fires fine. it hasn't become a headache or anything... at least not yet. so whenever i park my car. i try to park close to a incline of some sort just in case.

i still don't know what the problem is and i don't want to know since i can live with my car being this way...and this just started happening like about a month ago.

Annihilation
04-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Where is the car at? I'm liek 90% sure what it is...I can check it out real quick and save u the $80/hr electrica diagnostic fee

I'll only charge one time fee $50 :)

tofufighter
04-30-2006, 08:59 PM
How bout you just tell me what you think it is and I'll save myself $50. :goodjob:

here's what I checked so far.
-Starter
-ignition system
-fuses
-key cylinder
-battery

2.2L
04-30-2006, 09:24 PM
i had a starting problem where the car would have a hard time turning over and it turned out to be all the head gaskets blown so i had to send them over so that they can replace it. its a 1000 dollar labor intensive job.... even at 65 dollars per hour labor. and around 200 dollars in parts i think beats what honda quoted me at which was 1700 dollars. all the coolant gasoline and oil was mixing.

but since your car isnt making a sound at all im saying vafc.

you need to take out that thing and either go obd1 and crome or hondata it. alot of people tried vafc and screwed up alot.

Annihilation
05-01-2006, 12:00 AM
damn u guys needa think smaller...its pretty simple...i had two car with same problem....c here is wat i dont liek about ppl like you..... you'll pay a dealer or high price mechanic to fix your shit and when it comes to regular peeps ur scroungy* mofos

Have fun

If i'm in the mood tomorrow i'll tell u wat it is ...maybe not
Damn i need a Gas

tofufighter
05-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Come guys, what the problem. The car is not turning over at all. I told my mechanic to check the VAFC he said it should still turn over, even if it was all screwed up.

He thinks it's the key cylinder sending a cut off signal to the starter (supposely a HONDA security thing)

I've never heard of this. Have you guys. :confused:

Well it's been in the shop for 2 weeks now and I'm tried of not having my car.

tofufighter
05-02-2006, 04:06 PM
damn u guys needa think smaller...its pretty simple...i had two car with same problem....c here is wat i dont liek about ppl like you..... you'll pay a dealer or high price mechanic to fix your shit and when it comes to regular peeps ur scroungy* mofos

Have fun

If i'm in the mood tomorrow i'll tell u wat it is ...maybe not
Damn i need a Gas

Get off your E-power trip, these forums aren't about trying to make money from other memebers just by trouble shooting their problems *even dealers don't charge for advice* :jerkit:

BUT

I'll tell you what, if you can get the car to start tomorrow.

I'll be glad to give you "gas money" :D

pm me about the location.