PDA

View Full Version : Misc Pc Help

PSINXS
04-18-2006, 06:20 PM
I just got a new dsl modem and i am still having problems. I am losing packets somehow. i dont know whats causing it. I am gettin intermittent internet and it is starting to suck. I have to click ona site about 10 times before it loads. and i can pretty much only visit forums( other sites with pics or videos will never open completely) I know the problem is that the modem is not receiving at certain times(due to loss of packets) and cutting of the internet. However i if icatch a file to download while it is connected, it will continue to download the file even after the recieiving stops. it just wont allow other web pages to be opened. They time out as usual.

Anybody know of way i could fix this?

I've already tried:
isolating the dsl line (no fax or pfone plugged up)
reformatting windows
repairing windows
reinstalling DSl drivers aout 20 times
removing old drivers for dsl
Virus Scan/removal
Hijack This (i can post the log in case i missed anything)
Two diff types of dsl devices
Calling Bellsouth and they have given ZERO help
Cursing/Spitting

~The_Duke~
04-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Are the wires in there good?

Is there a router inbetween the computer and the modem?

Does the actual connection (the lil thing in network connections) say that it is disconnected at any time?

XP Pro or Home?

In internet opitions in the connection tab is the "Never dial for a connection" selected?

Which lights are on on your modem?

FYI...99% of tech support people read to you off of a pre written script to try to solve your problem. If you are sure it is their issue not yours tell the bastards that you are just going to switch to another ISP. It usually starts working really fast after that.

Hope these help...

PSINXS
04-18-2006, 07:49 PM
just got these new wires this morning at 9am.

no router, just modem to pc

never says discinnected. just receives intermittently. (when i was using the usb type modem it was intermittent, still connected, but i had to disconect to get it working again) with this new westell it just stops receiving and picks up very seldom

XP home service pack 2 installed this morning

yes never dial is selected

the lights in this order are:power (solid green), Ethernet(flashing green), USB(not lit), DSL(solid green), internet(flashing green)

~The_Duke~
04-18-2006, 07:56 PM
What did the Bellsouth people say the lights should look like?

Is the ethernet light as mentioned above stand for ethernet traffic or connection(on some devices it is connections others it is traffic)?

----line into house---(phonewire)-----dsl modem------(ethernet)------computer

^^^that how the topogly looks?

PSINXS
04-18-2006, 07:59 PM
they say both the ethernet lights and internet lights should be solid indicating a steady connection.

thats pretty much how the topology is

~The_Duke~
04-18-2006, 08:04 PM
interesting....

Start:run:type cmd hit enter:then type ping 127.0.0.1:

This tests to see if you NIC card is working correctly. If your pings fail....well you need a new NIC.

Do you have a router, hub, or switch lieing around that you can test to see if the modem will connect to it correctly?

PSINXS
04-18-2006, 08:23 PM
the ping seemed to work fine sent 4 packets received 4 no times listed for the round trip in milliseconds

nope no router or hub around here.

~The_Duke~
04-18-2006, 08:28 PM
You said you tried 2 different DSL modems? I assume same issue different equiment?

When you are using the internet does your phone work fine?

Do you have the DSL filters on you home phone lines?

If none of those things make it work, my solution to your issue is calling and get really really pissy with bellsouth and tell them fix my shit or else I am switching to something else.

Are you on the northside of Atl?

PSINXS
04-18-2006, 09:33 PM
southside of atl.

yep same issue on both modems

got filters on all phones and phones work great

~The_Duke~
04-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Yup it is bellsouth's issue not yours. IMO

Give them a nice FUCK you phone conversion for me :goodjob:

Good with them man, cas they are a pain in the ass.

tony
04-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Brandon whats your address and phone number? You can pm it to me, if you're in Riverdale or Jonesboro I can come out there myself (I'm a Bellsouth tech that works on DSL) you'll just have to let me know exactly when the ticket is made.

If the DSL light is staying solid green then its nothing with the Bellsouth facilities. Intermitten sync as you said would cause the DSL light to blink on and off, another way to tell is if you're getting the 'page not found' error on a regular basis.

You said you formatted Windows? Because what you're describing sounds like spyware, but what you can do is if you have the Bellsouth installation disc.. go to windows explorer I believe it is? (I use a mac so I cannot remember) You will have to go into the disc and find the winsock fix icon, run this and restart your computer and see if it makes a difference. Post up if you're still having problems.

PSINXS
04-18-2006, 10:04 PM
^yea Tony the dsl ight is solid but ethernet and internet flash constantly. yes i do get times out in firefox or page not displayed in explorer all the time.

i'll try the winsock fix.

i live in conyers so i cant get you to come out. thanks Tony

PSINXS
04-18-2006, 10:19 PM
just did the winsock fix and nothing. same problem.

do u wanna see a hijack this log?

tony
04-19-2006, 07:20 AM
I'm not sure if I'd be able to read the log correctly, they only train us on the DSL side so I only know the basics of the PC side. If I could actually see it I could tell you exactly what the problem is though. Did the tech test it at your computer before he left? Usually I'll try and surf on my laptop at the customers house to make sure there isn't a problem on the line.

accented
04-19-2006, 09:30 AM
get cable imo, its a line problem.

PSINXS
04-19-2006, 10:15 AM
actually it was what tony said. i searched th rough my processes then googled them and found a Host jacking file. it ran 100 other websites off of my IP which caused me to time out most of the time.

Thanks for all that contributed and i will be repping every poster in this thread.