PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Civic engine surging between shifts..

incawarrior
04-17-2006, 10:10 AM
I've a friend who's Civic is surging between shifts.

Specs:

2000 Honda Civic
94,030 miles
5 speed.
VIN (removed)

It is a LEV if it matters.

When he starts off in 1st gear, everthing is fine. As soon as he shifts to 2nd gear, the engine surges to ~ 2500 on its own before he presses the accelerator.

Anybody have an idea. A search for idle/ surging/ rpm etc yielded no results.

Thx.

B16a2 Civic
04-17-2006, 10:11 AM
fyi, remove the vin, dont want the car stolen

incawarrior
04-17-2006, 10:23 AM
fyi, remove the vin, dont want the car stolen

:cool: I just wrote everything that dude gave me.

He just said there is a red square that is on in the middle of the guages. It used to be green but now its red.

Excuse the lack of terminolgy as I don't really know Hondas but I'm trying to learn as well as help a buddy out.

incawarrior
04-19-2006, 04:14 PM
None know or have any ideas?

magneto198
08-07-2006, 10:32 PM
usually when your car surges is because the MAF sensor isnt reading correctly, might be old, damaged, or just needs to be replaced. If your CEL light comes on, read that and it'll give you a good idea of what exactly is going on.

Hektik
08-07-2006, 11:07 PM
:cool: I just wrote everything that dude gave me.

He just said there is a red square that is on in the middle of the guages. It used to be green but now its red.

Excuse the lack of terminolgy as I don't really know Hondas but I'm trying to learn as well as help a buddy out.
thats just a maintenace light it has nothing to do with the problem the way to reset it is to stick the key in the little hole beside the light and poush it it will go back to green.
i had a problem simmilar to this but my car would bounce between revves like between 1500 and 2500. but it did it all the time once the car was warm.

an0therh22
08-07-2006, 11:34 PM
i had a problem simmilar to this but my car would bounce between revves like between 1500 and 2500. but it did it all the time once the car was warm.
how did u get rid of this problem because my swap is doin the same thing

Hektik
08-08-2006, 03:52 AM
Um lets see if i can explain i really dont know the names of the componenet my boy cleaned. but its on the throttle body. I have an LS swap so its right under the throttle body basiccaly all we did was pull out the three bolts that hold the part in and then loosened it all the way out and cleaned it with some break cleaner and reinstalled it . what was happening on mine wa that the screw had back all the way out and was causeing the engine to surge so once we retightened it it stopped all together. i know its kind of a scketchy explanation but i dont remember the names of the parts and if u have an H22 I know that its a little different ill see if i can find some pics or something so i can explain it better to u later.

type-r swap
09-28-2006, 04:08 PM
it is called fast idle thermo valve (FITV) or check ur idle air control valve (IACV)