PDA

View Full Version : MAF-T vs SAFC

Stormhammer
04-16-2006, 12:48 AM
I'd expect the DSM guys to know this, and if any other non-DSM guys know what a MAF-T is, well - reps shall be given

anyways

you know how with an SAFC, you can program different fuel flow charts ( I guess different a/f rations depending on boost settings and such - like maybe one for hi boost one for low boost right? )

now - with how the MAF-T works, with the dials, I don't think you're able to have that same option of having multiple settings like that, right?

YokotaS13
04-16-2006, 02:37 AM
well heres the thing with the MAFT
You can only have one "profile"
You take the base knob, and adjust it to the correction for the injectors that you have.
Place the toggle switch with RPM on it, to the non RPM position. make a run take note of wideband and other datalogging functions. making sure everythign is good on the base run. Then you slowly use the dials to correct by adding or reducing fuel through out the curve. I dont have the table with me right now to tell you the icnrements, but i believe its 10% increments or possibly 5% at idle, mid, and wot i believe (i havent looked at the board in a while to know the exact terms)

once you have that dialed in, then yuo switch to RPM mode, which provides 2 or 3% correction to fine tune it.
its a great device that allows you to Vent, run a better flowing MAFS, and for the price its a good tool

but i still would reccomend an SAFC for fine tuning, but i htink the MAFT is worth it if not just for the base mapping and injector correction. not to mention not having to worry about larger intake piping for larger turbos, just get a bigger filter.

Stormhammer
04-16-2006, 12:06 PM
alright

I dont suppose you could install both ( maft for base mapping and injector correction with SAFC for fine tuning )

then again that still presents the problem of boost change eh?

YokotaS13
04-16-2006, 03:51 PM
yes you can install both with no problem.
And no, no boost change, your boost controller takes care of that

Stormhammer
04-16-2006, 11:33 PM
so let me get this straight - if I turn up the boost in either case, from its already set settings, the controllers/ecu will automatically adjust the fuel curve?

SilverJester
04-17-2006, 03:39 AM
Your ecu calculates how much fuel needed based on how much air is read by the MAF. So the more air/boost the more fuel the ecu will send; this is assuming your fuel system (fuel pump, injectors, etc.) can flow as much fuel as the ecu is requesting of it.

The point of a maf-t is so that you can use a larger than stock GM maf (found in cars like camaros, corvettes, etc.) on your car. I don't see it as a very good tuning device, in fact I have one I'm about to install for the sole purpose of being able to translate the GM signal to my stock ecu. But I plan on just zeroing it out and tuning with my other tuning device. This would probably be the simplest thing for you to do as well...just zero the maf-t out and tune with you safc. Unless for some reason you can't get a good tune alone with the safc (but you should be ablt to).

Stormhammer
04-17-2006, 12:24 PM
^ oh okay. Yeah, its obvious I'm still learning here. At least with the tuning aspect :D

thanks!