PDA

View Full Version : *Apexi V-AFCII* Worth tuning?

tofufighter
04-15-2006, 11:19 PM
When I bought my car (97 prelude h22a obdII) the previous owner had just installed a V-AFCII. It hasn't been tuned at all he said he hadn't had time to mess with it yet, but from what I read it seems that I don't have much to be gained from it since my engine mods are so minimal.

The current mods:

AEM short ram intake
Cat-back exhust
Full MSD ignition (blaster coil, wires, etc)
SKUNK 2 intake manifold
UR pulleys

So, should I even bother having it "tuned" , or should I just keep it as eye candy?

TIA :goodjob:

yudalicious
04-15-2006, 11:39 PM
i say if you plan to throw more stuff on it then wait.

The Yousef
04-15-2006, 11:41 PM
When I bought my car (97 prelude h22a obdII) the previous owner had just installed a V-AFCII. It hasn't been tuned at all he said he hadn't had time to mess with it yet, but from what I read it seems that I don't have much to be gained from it since my engine mods are so minimal.

The current mods:

AEM short ram intake
Cat-back exhust
Full MSD ignition (blaster coil, wires, etc)
SKUNK 2 intake manifold
UR pulleys

So, should I even bother having it "tuned" , or should I just keep it as eye candy?

TIA :goodjob:

tune it...getting mine done made a difference (15 whp and 9 ft/lbs)

tofufighter
04-16-2006, 12:23 AM
tune it...getting mine done made a difference (15 whp and 9 ft/lbs)

WOW, good numbers!

Where did you get your tuned?
Do you remember how much it cost?

Ludester
04-17-2006, 02:00 PM
tune it.... cleans up the air/fuel and you'll make little bit more power than what you have now

The Yousef
04-17-2006, 02:01 PM
WOW, good numbers!

Where did you get your tuned?
Do you remember how much it cost?

batlground

...i kinda forgot the price honestly...lol

tofufighter
04-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Does anyone know what tunning a V-afc usually cost?
Does it necessary require running it on the Dyno?

K24cb7coupe
04-17-2006, 06:15 PM
I had one on my F22vtec before i did my swap and made 13.2hp and 15.9tq with an auto

Mdeezy
04-18-2006, 05:07 PM
If you have a wideband you could tune it yourself. the VAFC2 isnt hard to use at all you'd just need to see how rich, lean or stoich your running at a given rpm. If this is interesting to you, find a good WB02 with data logging capabilites and you can tune the car yourself, as aggressively or conservatively as you want.

The other issue would be do you street tune (find a long stretch of empty road, and pick a gear and take it to redline) or find a dyno shop that will let you use the rollers while you tune.

BABY J
04-18-2006, 05:08 PM
I have seen up to 29WHP to be gained (w/ full bolt-ons).

AE86 Dorifto
04-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Get it tuned at Balance Performance. They have college degrees and tune it to exact racing specs. They tuned my brothers 240sx and did an amazing job. For mods go to AutoFab. They will beat any price and they get the job done good and quick.

Hondatwin23
04-19-2006, 08:27 AM
you can street tune but its hard to do that properly with cops around so dyno is ur best bet.

the cost depends on the tuner and what he or she decides to charge
maybe say 50 bucks a hours at a minimal

ECMgarrett
04-19-2006, 11:25 AM
def get it tuned man, dont just have it sitting in there. and use a dyno so you can watch your AF

BABY J
04-19-2006, 11:38 AM
def get it tuned man, dont just have it sitting in there. and use a dyno so you can watch your AF

U can watch the AF on the box! But you still need to use a dyno for tuning.

tofufighter
04-19-2006, 04:59 PM
I live on the other side of town from balance performance.
Does mainstream tune V-afc's? If so, can any body give me a estimate on what it will cost.

How bout knowledge performance? I've heard mixed things bout their work.

Spyder
04-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Does mainstream tune V-afc's? If so, can any body give me a estimate on what it will cost.

yes MSP is good just PM vteckidd on here he works there..

BABY J
04-19-2006, 05:29 PM

You gotta be proactive man... go to their websites and talk to people, give the shops a call to compare prices.

The Yousef
04-19-2006, 05:54 PM
yes MSP is good just PM vteckidd on here he works there..

Mike (aka vteckidd) is the man!!!!

Mdeezy
04-20-2006, 06:36 PM
you can street tune but its hard to do that properly with cops around so dyno is ur best bet.

I agree. Espcially trying to tune with say 4th gear from 2k to red line, you'll be way above posted speed limits, and I dont know of too many places where you can do a few pulls to get your A/F where you want it.

when I tune my car I will use 4th gear WOT 2k to red line (6.6k hopefully 7.2k when I raise the limiter) I'll be at about 120mph at the end of 4th gear, not many places on the road in atlanta to do such a pull.

The rollers are the best bet.

BABY J
04-20-2006, 06:47 PM
I say dyno tune though, unless it's an all out race car. Part-throttle tuning is important on a daily driver.

tofufighter
04-20-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm probably going to take it to Mainstream and get mike to tune it.
Need to save up some dough first. I'll post the numbers afterwards :goodjob:

scttydb411
04-21-2006, 02:04 AM
I'm probably going to take it to Mainstream and get mike to tune it.
Need to save up some dough first. I'll post the numbers afterwards :goodjob:

good call

BABY J
04-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Call and ask what they charge...