PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine light???

tofufighter
04-15-2006, 06:01 PM
So I just bought a prelude (97 non-SH), and the CEL on. The previous owner had installed a Skunk 2 intake manifold and said that is what's throwing the CEL (basically cause there is no place to put the EGR-sensor).

It's my first obdII car so I'm not real sure on all the emission requirements.

I can get the check engine light to go away if I remove the radio fuse (I don't know why it works but it does).

My question is will it pass emisson with out the egr hooked up if the check engine light not on. Smog wise I think it'll be o.k.

thanks in advance

BLk92DA
04-15-2006, 06:10 PM
make the check engine light go away and go pass that emission

tofufighter
04-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Alright two totally conflicting answers :confused:

how will they know their is no EGR valve hooked up?

TeeJay
04-15-2006, 06:50 PM
on an obd2 car, the inspection is done through the ecu, which stores these cel codes, so even if the light is not on at that time, the code will more than likely be stored in the ecu, meaning that the car will fail inspection. if it was an obd1 car, it would probably pass.

fight club
04-15-2006, 07:41 PM
unplug the fuse, n this disconect ur battery for 5 minutes before the test to erase the codes.

dereksi
04-15-2006, 07:51 PM
unplug the fuse, n this disconect ur battery for 5 minutes before the test to erase the codes.
Just cause you cant see the light doesnt mean the comp (ecu) doesnt have it stored so when they go to do the obd2 test the code will come up and you will fail.

tofufighter
04-15-2006, 09:15 PM
So, I would have to re-install the original intake manifold. hmm, that sucks. :eye:

Thanks for the info. :goodjob:

3kgtdrvr
04-15-2006, 10:06 PM

u dont have to take out any fuse if u go that route, just disconnect the battery and it only has to be done for like 30 seconds, and even if u do that once u start the car u have already failed bc without a egr valve ur NOx are gonna be off the charts

Kelly_Rene
04-25-2006, 07:29 PM

That wont work, Your car will fail because the computer has been reset and you have to go through a drive cycle to reboot the computer so it can continue monitering the vehicle

Ludester
04-25-2006, 09:56 PM
So I just bought a prelude (97 non-SH), and the CEL on. The previous owner had installed a Skunk 2 intake manifold and said that is what's throwing the CEL (basically cause there is no place to put the EGR-sensor).

It's my first obdII car so I'm not real sure on all the emission requirements.

I can get the check engine light to go away if I remove the radio fuse (I don't know why it works but it does).

My question is will it pass emisson with out the egr hooked up if the check engine light not on. Smog wise I think it'll be o.k.

thanks in advance

This is what you do. Drive around for awhile and wait for the cel light to go off. When this happends the ecu has reset itself and you can pass emissions. I had CEL code last year in my fifth gen and as soon as my ecu reset itself I took emissions and passed. Also there is a work around you can do about the egr valve I just don't remember where I saw it...

i4_garage
04-25-2006, 10:18 PM
if everything fails...i can reset it for u with my scanner...

AnclyT
04-25-2006, 10:35 PM
if all fails, come to me with some $$$.. and i'll pass your emissions ;)