PDA

View Full Version : Photography?

dartingd
04-14-2006, 02:30 PM
I like taking pictures, but I'm not that great at it yet. I until recently have only had a crappy camera to take pictures with. I have an Olympus sp-350 that my mom got recently but can't use. Is that a good camera to start with? I'll try and get some pics sometime soon and have u guys critique me. Is there money in photography? What kinda degrees do you guys have if any?

A.P. Photography
04-14-2006, 03:13 PM
I like taking pictures, but I'm not that great at it yet. I until recently have only had a crappy camera to take pictures with. I have an Olympus sp-350 that my mom got recently but can't use. Is that a good camera to start with? I'll try and get some pics sometime soon and have u guys critique me. Is there money in photography? What kinda degrees do you guys have if any?
Ok, for the camera itself, it is an 8mp so that is good and you are able to shoot in RAW which can be beneficial; however, it only has a 3x optical zoom (you will want more as you begin to use the camera) and the highest ISO is 400 so it will not be that awesome at night or low light but longer shutter speeds will help so you are gonna need a tripod. The camera will be a great tool to learn with but don't build up your hopes of competing against a DSLR. Take your time with it and learn the functions, what ISO to use in what light, shutter speeds, etc so that you have a basic understanding and can transfer it over to a DSLR if you ever want to advance more. One more thing to remember if you ever want to step up to DSLR, it is VERY expensive as you will need a certain type of lens for certain types of situations and the glass can affect the pic as well. With all that being said, 1/10th is the camera but 9/10th is the photographer that can see the photo before it is taken and knows how to get it.

Now is there any money in photography? yes. Is it easy to make? NO. The problem is there are so many people with digital cameras that think they can shoot and will always do it for free. It takes time to get your portfolio built up and have the technique down as to your style of shooting. I have already resigned myself to the fact I have to do '06 for free and it will cost me about $700 (cost of the 350D body) because it is only rated to about 50k actuations and it is not uncommon for me to shoot 1k to 2k a weekend. There are rare exceptions like Joey Redmond who does a lot of travelling covering events for magazines. Those are few and far between but if you practice and get your style down then you have a better chance. Also need to figure out what market you want to get into :Nature, Fashion, Cars, Model, Weddings, etc.

quickdodgeŽ
04-14-2006, 04:15 PM
All that info posted above is incorrect. Later, QD.

dartingd
04-14-2006, 06:52 PM
All that info posted above is incorrect. Later, QD.

hahaha...prolly one of the funniest comments ever! thanks ga_teg for the info! i just wanna be an "enthusiast" i guess, probably only making money on the side occasionally...

DrivenMind
04-16-2006, 10:28 PM
I've heard there's money in it, but have yet to experience anything like that.

As far as I know nobody here has any degrees in photography, though I should be studying (majoring in) it in about 5 months.

SilverJester
04-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Any camera with manual setting is a good camera to start off with. I don't have a degree as of yet (working towards a visual communications degree) but I have used photography for some sites I have designed so I will have to say that yes there is money to be made but it depends on what you are shooting. Cars for instance (at least in this area) is not an easy market to make money in, because there are a lot of enthusiast (myself included) who will usally do it for free (although sometimes you get lucky and people will donate). but the best way to learn is to just go out and shoot...practice. The more you do it you will begin to develope your own style and approach. good luck.

I've heard there's money in it, but have yet to experience anything like that.

As far as I know nobody here has any degrees in photography, though I should be studying (majoring in) it in about 5 months.
Hey Robby I haven't talked to you in a while, we need to go shooting again soon.

A.P. Photography
04-17-2006, 07:53 AM
Just for the record, having a degree really does not factor in much at all except in certain fields (i.e. Photojournalism).

dartingd
04-17-2006, 08:17 AM
i was thinking that...it's all about your know-how and creativity