PDA

View Full Version : Military to civilian transition

IMWEZL
04-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Just wondering how many have made the jump from Military service to being a Civilian? I have another 8 months to decide if I'm staying in or not. I'm not a military hater. Four years as an MP CPT has been great but hard on the family with two deployments. Thanks in advance for any input.

JASONBALL
04-14-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm on my 20 PTDY right now finaled out on the 11 of April. I was an MP for 6 years. at ft. benning where are you stationed at. McPherson.

bigdare23
04-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Well, I'm am (was) a depended and civil life is different! No free healthcare, medicine, P.X./B.X. prices so it's going to be different. I was used to doing my grocery shopping at the Commassary, now I got to pay publix and kroger prices. It's different, real different. If you like the service and like your benefits, stay in, but that's just my opinion tho!

IMWEZL
04-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Currently stationed at Ft. Campbell...home on RR now. The commissary and PX have good prices on some items but not all. AAFES has the "price challenge" but for some reason their products will vary slightly from civilian stores. I'm worried more about the medical benefits. If I do stay in I'll probably change my MOS.

JASONBALL
04-14-2006, 07:55 AM
so your with the 716th MP BN right now. anyways I continue to recieve medical utill october even though I'm out. plus there is always VA for what ever you claim and they find valid.

IMWEZL
04-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Was with the 716th...haha...now I'm in 101st!

Gaspeedracer
05-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Bump to all Military past and present

THANK You

sebastianHoff
05-18-2006, 08:46 PM
the last six months of the first year is really the hardest, how hard depends on what you branched. if you can transition straight into a civilian job it will be a ton easier. my experience was slightly different than most, my dad was a crusty old warrent officer, so civilian life seems odd. theres no structure to anything and it takes some getting used to. if you want to go back to college, give it a year and then deside. i have a friend that came back from the sand box and went straight back to college, he didnt last long and that seems to be par for most. best thing to do is settle into a "normal" everyday routine. good luck with it.

SquishyC
05-18-2006, 10:15 PM
If two deployments have been really hard on the family, you may want to really think long and hard about staying in. I think it really depends on your personal situation. When you say family do you mean a wife and kids?
How did they handle deployments, how were you?

I was a Navy wife for more then 10 years, PM me if you want to talk.

Good luck in whatever you choice you make. :D

JASONBALL
05-18-2006, 10:25 PM
well i have fully exited the military now. it was rough. but I have adapted. I had 3 deployments and those people are still like family even more now. I was in for 9 years. got out with a injury. which sucks becuaes that was all I knew. enter army 40 days after highschool graduation.

Sibious
05-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Well, I'm am (was) a depended and civil life is different! No free healthcare, medicine, P.X./B.X. prices so it's going to be different. I was used to doing my grocery shopping at the Commassary, now I got to pay publix and kroger prices. It's different, real different. If you like the service and like your benefits, stay in, but that's just my opinion tho!
:goodjob: what he said, man i love the commasry. im a dependent, both parents were in the service and one still is. but moving here i see alot more of civ. life. since aroudn here not as big of a military atlasphere. From ft. lewis, wa. biggest army base on west coast.

NAIZBST
05-21-2006, 09:30 PM
I will make that choice in 4 months when I get out

Big J
05-21-2006, 09:57 PM
HOOAH! It's a tough call and can be a tough adjustment, just do what feels right, put some thought into it. If it isn't right for you can go back, you know the drill, but if you re-up active there is no backing out. I didn't have a family so that didn't enter into the equation. You could allways get out, get on with a contractor, pocket bank for a year and settle the family down. It's wide open.

YokotaS13
05-22-2006, 05:51 AM
yuo know there is a special department on base that helps yuo with this exact thing right

its called the transition office......

BABY J
05-22-2006, 09:29 AM
The transition office = WACK!!

Big J
05-22-2006, 10:10 AM
The transition office = WACK!!
+1

Sign here, here, initial here, and here. Here's your DD214, bye.

BABY J
05-22-2006, 10:15 AM
I miss the PEOPLE, but I do not miss being in the Air Force. That (military) is not an organization that deserves the best years of your life. I gave 'em 8... and I bounced. Never been happier.

The Golden Child
05-22-2006, 11:22 AM
why is this in the business part ??
anyway i dont know much about this stuff ..
but i am contiplating on joining up ..
just right now i have to take care of things ..
give or take maybe 2 - 3 yrs ill join and see ..
but till than i am fine with what i have i guess ..
wish you the best of luck on what ever decision you pick ..

YokotaS13
05-22-2006, 01:07 PM
if yuo join in 2-3 years yu beter be going in officer

JASONBALL
05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
they aren't worth shit. lazy ass goverment civilians that know there getting paid way to much that don't do anything. you own research and knowledge and experience is way better than what they can ever help you with.

Big J
05-22-2006, 06:01 PM
if yuo join in 2-3 years yu beter be going in officer

Officers = whack

BABY J
05-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Officers = whack

Wrong. Academy officers suck... prior-enlisted officers and OTS/OCS officers are kool.

{X}Echo419
05-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Wrong. Academy officers suck... prior-enlisted officers and OTS/OCS officers are kool.

roger that :king:

Cato ED-6
05-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I would stay in. But thats just me.

Big J
05-23-2006, 04:18 PM

Ok let me clarify, SOME officers = whack, some, coolest guys on the planet. But apples and oranges, air force and army.

IMWEZL
05-27-2007, 12:14 AM
I know this is a bump from the dead but....

I appreciate every one's response. I got a lot of job offers, even some nice ones in ATL and San Antonio. In the end I decided to give the Army another 3 more years. With that I got my choice of station, Hawaii.

My reason, I couldn't look my self in the mirror every morning knowing that I gave up an opportunity to command.

tybalt6691
05-27-2007, 06:13 PM
try the reserves, im in and i enjoy it, you get to play both sides of the fence

Leadfoot_mf
05-27-2007, 09:56 PM
cool you should love hawaii i did i was in pearl on the uss louisville was there from 94-97.
also i still use the va for my health benefits they base what u pay by how much u make.
after i got out i went straight into college made it thru in 3.5 years. plus with the g i benefits had mad bank as well. no regrets would do it all over again.

BanginJimmy
05-28-2007, 02:14 AM
I got out of the Corps this time last year and it was the worst decision of my life. Afer 9 years with that kind of structure it was hard getting into a civilian mindset with co-workers. Anyways, good luck with your next 3 years. Also now is the time to be doing your job research and schooling, so you can be prepared tog et out if you decide to after this contract.

Extrememustang
05-28-2007, 07:03 PM
I guess if you have no drive in life it may be hard. As soon as I got out I applied at QT and was hired on as a 2a manager.

MulattoBoi
05-28-2007, 07:09 PM
I will be out in 2 weeks. I can't wait lol, everyone I talked to said it's not that bad. Just the benefits. And it's not like im getting out unprepared ready have a job and everything.

Hektik
05-30-2007, 03:58 AM
Been out a year and a half... Worst decision I made was not to prepare myself prior to leaving. I was just in a rush to leave. When I got out I didnt have a job lined up and no real leads. But I took four months of and just relaxed lol... Its definately a big change....Good luck with your next three...

Extrememustang
05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Everyone said I looked like a officer. I got saluted ALOT! Even in the desert I would get saluted and when I would walk into a tent ppl would jump. LOL I was a Pfc