PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Nissan GT-R

ironchef
04-12-2006, 05:07 PM
GT-R will be sold in U.S. with Nissan badge
http://www.autoweek.com/graphics/aw_spacer.gif
By AUTOMOTIVE NEWS (http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/personalia?ID=AUTOMOTIVENEWS&category=contact)
http://www.autoweek.com/graphics/aw_spacer.gif
AutoWeek | Published 04/12/06, 11:01 am et
NEW YORK -- Nissan Motor Co. will sell the high-performance GT-R sports car as a Nissan in the United States, not an Infiniti.

The car is due in the United States in 2008, about a year after a redesigned version goes on sale in Japan in fall 2007.

Infiniti dealers in the United States had clamored for the car. But Carlos Ghosn, CEO of Nissan Motor, said the GT-R is a Nissan in all other markets.

Ghosn spoke Wednesday at the New York auto show.

Looks like it will be a nissan after all. Wonder how that might affect sales though... With a rumored price of $50k+, how many people are going to be in line to buy a $50k+ nissan?

collins
04-12-2006, 05:10 PM
with the tuner market out here and the respect of the heritage of hte skyline, i dont think sales will be hurt very much by the transition from the infiniti market to the nissan market.

RBpoweredSileighty
04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
skyline has always been nissan along with the company... prince corp:

fight club
04-12-2006, 05:32 PM
i wonder now if the price might be lower?

ironchef
04-12-2006, 06:25 PM
with the tuner market out here and the respect of the heritage of hte skyline, i dont think sales will be hurt very much by the transition from the infiniti market to the nissan market.Yea the tuner market is big, but how many of these so called tuners will be able to drop $50k+ on a new skyline? Its not as easy as going out and getting a used 240 or something.

tony
04-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Sorry but I'm not thrilled with that news, and a lot of consumers that are going to spend $60k on this car isnt going to like it either. Having dealt with both there is a huge difference in Infiniti and Nissan in terms of service.. I already had thoughts of just getting the new G35 and going the Twin Turbo route again and this only confirms it.

tony
04-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Strange that conflicting stories are coming out, this announcement from the GTR PROTO website says it will be an Infiniti

"GT-R Communiqué No. 1

GT-R’s U.S. Nameplate Announced

Since the unveiling of the GT-R PROTO at last October’s
Tokyo Motor Show, Nissan has continued development of the
legendary GT-R sports coupe. *And while details about the
next generation GT-R have been few, one important piece of
information was made public today.

Mr. Carlos Ghosn, President and CEO of Nissan Motor Co.,
Ltd., kicked-off the New York International Auto Show with
the exciting revelation that the GT-R will be sold in the
U.S. as the Infiniti GT-R.

As part of his keynote address at the International Motor
Press Association Breakfast, Mr. Ghosn said that when he
unveiled the GT-R PROTO, Nissan had not yet decided whether
the GT-R would be sold as a Nissan or an Infiniti in the
United States.

Mr. Ghosn also expressed enthusiasm that the heart-pounding
GT-R will build on drivers’ passion for the Infiniti brand.

This communication is first in a series leading up to the
launch of the Infiniti GT-R. As part of an exclusive group,
you will be among the first to receive information and
special insights into the development of the Infiniti GT-R.

©2006 Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.

Please do not reply to this e-mail address. *You will not
receive a response."

Marvin says:
"I'll take my New DIAMOND GRAPHITE INFINITI GT-R NISMO EDITION with the Q-36 EXPLOSIVE SPACE MODULATOR Option... better for Drifting

ironchef
04-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Hmm thats odd now. Time to dig up some more info.

1000cckiller
04-14-2006, 07:54 AM
speak for yourself talking about dropping 60k on it if the new designs look better I will if not I will be getting a 2000 gt-r34 v-specII. Just waiting to see what the final product is going to look like

tony
04-14-2006, 08:54 AM
speak for yourself talking about dropping 60k on it if the new designs look better I will if not I will be getting a 2000 gt-r34 v-specII. Just waiting to see what the final product is going to look like

Big risk in getting an R34.. there really arent any legal ones in the country. Even still I think I'll want the G35(G37) more than the GT-R for some reason.. in my mind I believe there would be more potential for the money and I like the looks of the Coupe concept.

Cool Cat GTR
04-14-2006, 10:16 AM
I think anyone who believes the new GTR will be sold for $50K to $60K is going to be disappointed. More like $80K+. Speaking of dealer support, I wouldn't take my eyes off the car if it has to be serviced at any dealer.

And yes, there are a few "legal" R34s in the country. They will cost you every bit of $80K+ too. There is one for sale right now that is bayside blue with $12,000 miles on it that is believed to be the very first R34 Motorex ever legalized. Totally stock and unmolested.

tony
04-14-2006, 11:11 AM
I think anyone who believes the new GTR will be sold for $50K to $60K is going to be disappointed. More like $80K+. Speaking of dealer support, I wouldn't take my eyes off the car if it has to be serviced at any dealer.

And yes, there are a few "legal" R34s in the country. They will cost you every bit of $80K+ too. There is one for sale right now that is bayside blue with $12,000 miles on it that is believed to be the very first R34 Motorex ever legalized. Totally stock and unmolested.

Cool Cat I know you have a great deal of knowledge about the Skylines but I believe after the owner of motorex was arrested it came to light that the R34's they were legalizing were not legal at all, they never met U.S specifications.

About the GT-R they would be crazy to sell it $80k.. I know the prices have not been released but $60k sounds more realistic

wantboost
04-14-2006, 11:50 AM
how many people are going to buy a nissan skyline over a m3 (or other german car). i dont think many. if its an infiniti its a whole diff. ballgame

1000cckiller
04-14-2006, 12:08 PM

And yes, there are a few "legal" R34s in the country. They will cost you every bit of $80K+ too. There is one for sale right now that is bayside blue with $12,000 miles on it that is believed to be the very first R34 Motorex ever legalized. Totally stock and unmolested.totally agree with you on that 80k plus,and i would buy on if the pros will be a lot better than the 34, but tony on what you said I think i will stick to the 34 and I wont buy the first skyline to come here because you need to find out what problems the car will face. The next skyline isnt going to look like concept. The have already tested the gtr-35 at nuringburgh and it looked like a g35 with a gt-r kit and it had a newer version of a gtr-33 wing on it. 50-60k lol depending on what versions the make avalible to the U.S. I looking at 70k+.I also saw that blue gtr-34 v-spec fpr sale he wants 55,000 for it.

Cool Cat GTR
04-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Tony, I wouldn't argue with you about the Motorex "legal vs. illegal" theory but the cars Motorex prepared are considered federally legal in the eyes of our government. All I'm saying is the feds have no grounds to seize your car under present law. You are right in that none of the OBDII cars truly passed emissions. Many of the cars Motorex touched were not improved for safety as their petition indicated they would be either. Since the crash test was only performed on a 1995 GTR R33, this was the only year and model that should have been considered legal but rules were stretched. Hence many R32s, R33s, and R34s were registered as 1995 R33s.

To Wantboost, there are a number of people that don't like German cars. Ask anyone Jewish. Seriously though, I agree there are a lot of very nice German cars but it all depends on what you want as an individual. For example, the Z06 Corvette is getting rave reviews but to me it's still Chevrolet and every Chevy I've ever owned has been a total piece of shit. The Infiniti bias over Nissan doesn't make any sense. It's the same company. I suspect you have had a bad experience with one or more Nissan dealers that has led you to your opinion but dealers are a dime a dozen and I wouldn't trust any of them.

To STIKiller, I certainly can't blame you for preferring the R34. I happen to like the 34 better too. The blue R34 I was speaking of is bringing a good bit more than the $55K you mentioned. I know a while back the owner of the car got in financial needs and sold it cheap and quietly. That's probably where the $55K came from because that's a deal even if the car was an older R33. The car is presently on Ebay and is bringing a lot more than $55K. As a matter of fact, the reserve hasn't been made and the car is now at $70,900.00 with three days and one hour left. I'm certain it will bring every bit of $80,000.00. One thing you said that I agree with 100% is what version will come to the U.S. Historically, the Japanese have sent their less desireable cars to our soil and kept the best stuff for themselves. God I hope they don't twin turbo a 350Z and shove a shitload of cup holders in it and call it a GTR. That would suck.

If Nissan truly puts the technology and performance in the car that has been speculated and promised, then yeah, the car is going to sell for a good bit of money. I hope they make it look better than the Proto else I might have to find me a R34.

1000cckiller
04-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Tony, I wouldn't argue with you about the Motorex "legal vs. illegal" theory but the cars Motorex prepared are considered federally legal in the eyes of our government. All I'm saying is the feds have no grounds to seize your car under present law. You are right in that none of the OBDII cars truly passed emissions. Many of the cars Motorex touched were not improved for safety as their petition indicated they would be either. Since the crash test was only performed on a 1995 GTR R33, this was the only year and model that should have been considered legal but rules were stretched. Hence many R32s, R33s, and R34s were registered as 1995 R33s.

To Wantboost, there are a number of people that don't like German cars. Ask anyone Jewish. Seriously though, I agree there are a lot of very nice German cars but it all depends on what you want as an individual. For example, the Z06 Corvette is getting rave reviews but to me it's still Chevrolet and every Chevy I've ever owned has been a total piece of shit. The Infiniti bias over Nissan doesn't make any sense. It's the same company. I suspect you have had a bad experience with one or more Nissan dealers that has led you to your opinion but dealers are a dime a dozen and I wouldn't trust any of them.

To STIKiller, I certainly can't blame you for preferring the R34. I happen to like the 34 better too. The blue R34 I was speaking of is bringing a good bit more than the $55K you mentioned. I know a while back the owner of the car got in financial needs and sold it cheap and quietly. That's probably where the $55K came from because that's a deal even if the car was an older R33. The car is presently on Ebay and is bringing a lot more than $55K. As a matter of fact, the reserve hasn't been made and the car is now at $70,900.00 with three days and one hour left. I'm certain it will bring every bit of $80,000.00. One thing you said that I agree with 100% is what version will come to the U.S. Historically, the Japanese have sent their less desireable cars to our soil and kept the best stuff for themselves. God I hope they don't twin turbo a 350Z and shove a shitload of cup holders in it and call it a GTR. That would suck.

If Nissan truly puts the technology and performance in the car that has been speculated and promised, then yeah, the car is going to sell for a good bit of money. I hope they make it look better than the Proto else I might have to find me a R34.I agree and I am going the 34 route within the next couple of months. The 35 body it doest look like a 350 more like a g35 with many upgrades and other options, they have tested the car at nuringbugh and it looks good its not going to look like the proto tony has for his sign. And it will be a nissan