PDA

View Full Version : Misc GA Tech Intolerent Towards Conservative Christians?

GTScoob
04-11-2006, 01:57 AM
http://tinyurl.com/hprsr

Christians Sue for Right Not to Tolerate Policies
Many codes intended to protect gays from harassment are illegal, conservatives argue.
By Stephanie Simon, Times Staff Writer
April 10, 2006

ATLANTA — Ruth Malhotra went to court last month for the right to be intolerant.

Malhotra says her Christian faith compels her to speak out against homosexuality. But the Georgia Institute of Technology, where she's a senior, bans speech that puts down others because of their sexual orientation.

ADVERTISEMENT
Malhotra sees that as an unacceptable infringement on her right to religious expression. So she's demanding that Georgia Tech revoke its tolerance policy.

With her lawsuit, the 22-year-old student joins a growing campaign to force public schools, state colleges and private workplaces to eliminate policies protecting gays and lesbians from harassment. The religious right aims to overturn a broad range of common tolerance programs: diversity training that promotes acceptance of gays and lesbians, speech codes that ban harsh words against homosexuality, anti-discrimination policies that require college clubs to open their membership to all.

The Rev. Rick Scarborough, a leading evangelical, frames the movement as the civil rights struggle of the 21st century. "Christians," he said, "are going to have to take a stand for the right to be Christian."

In that spirit, the Christian Legal Society, an association of judges and lawyers, has formed a national group to challenge tolerance policies in federal court. Several nonprofit law firms — backed by major ministries such as Focus on the Family and Campus Crusade for Christ — already take on such cases for free.

The legal argument is straightforward: Policies intended to protect gays and lesbians from discrimination end up discriminating against conservative Christians. Evangelicals have been suspended for wearing anti-gay T-shirts to high school, fired for denouncing Gay Pride Month at work, reprimanded for refusing to attend diversity training. When they protest tolerance codes, they're labeled intolerant.

A recent survey by the Anti-Defamation League found that 64% of American adults — including 80% of evangelical Christians — agreed with the statement "Religion is under attack in this country."

"The message is, you're free to worship as you like, but don't you dare talk about it outside the four walls of your church," said Stephen Crampton, chief counsel for the American Family Assn. Center for Law and Policy, which represents Christians who feel harassed.

Critics dismiss such talk as a right-wing fundraising ploy. "They're trying to develop a persecution complex," said Jeremy Gunn, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Program on Freedom of Religion and Belief.

Others fear the banner of religious liberty could be used to justify all manner of harassment.

"What if a person felt their religious view was that African Americans shouldn't mingle with Caucasians, or that women shouldn't work?" asked Jon Davidson, legal director of the gay rights group Lambda Legal.

Christian activist Gregory S. Baylor responds to such criticism angrily. He says he supports policies that protect people from discrimination based on race and gender. But he draws a distinction that infuriates gay rights activists when he argues that sexual orientation is different — a lifestyle choice, not an inborn trait.

By equating homosexuality with race, Baylor said, tolerance policies put conservative evangelicals in the same category as racists. He predicts the government will one day revoke the tax-exempt status of churches that preach homosexuality is sinful or that refuse to hire gays and lesbians.

"Think how marginalized racists are," said Baylor, who directs the Christian Legal Society's Center for Law and Religious Freedom. "If we don't address this now, it will only get worse."

Christians are fighting back in a case involving Every Nation Campus Ministries at California State University. Student members of the ministry on the Long Beach and San Diego campuses say their mission is to model a virtuous lifestyle for their peers. They will not accept as members gays, lesbians or anyone who considers homosexuality "a natural part of God's created order."

Legal analysts agree that the ministry, as a private organization, has every right to exclude gays; the Supreme Court affirmed that principle in a case involving the Boy Scouts in 2000. At issue is whether the university must grant official recognition to a student group that discriminates.

The students say denying them recognition — and its attendant benefits, such as funding — violates their free-speech rights and discriminates against their conservative theology. Christian groups at public colleges in other states have sued using similar arguments. Several of those lawsuits were settled out of court, with the groups prevailing.

In California, however, the university may have a strong defense in court. The California Supreme Court recently ruled that the city of Berkeley was justified in denying subsidies to the Boy Scouts because of that group's exclusionary policies. Eddie L. Washington, the lawyer representing Cal State, argues the same standard should apply to the university.

"We're certainly not going to fund discrimination," Washington said

This pisses me off knowing that I go to school with such backwards conservative fools. The girl fronting the lawsuit is the president of the college republicans at Tech.

It's not gay people that disgust me but racists and judgmental religious folks.

David88vert
04-11-2006, 06:30 AM
Whatever happened to being polite to a person? Wearing an anti-gay shirt at school is just plain rude. Freedom of speech is important, but with priviledge comes responsibility.

trini_gsr
04-11-2006, 06:55 AM
this is pretty lame. nothing wrong if she doesn't approve of the homosexual lifestyle because she feels it's "sinful". but if i recall, Jesus didn't hate against whores or tax collectors or what have you back in the day...he associated with them. so she needs to get a reality check. she's making all christians look really bad right now...

Hulud
04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
http://tinyurl.com/hprsr

This pisses me off knowing that I go to school with such backwards conservative fools. The girl fronting the lawsuit is the president of the college republicans at Tech.

start preaching against her in public, no joke i would if i went there

metalman
04-11-2006, 09:06 AM
"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone..." - Jesus

This gal should pay more attention to her Bible. The real issue here is FOCUS. According to Scripture the only sins you should be focusing on are YOUR OWN.

4dmin
04-11-2006, 10:11 AM

this is exactly whats wrong w/ christianity today.

also if she doesn't like it it your fucking $$$ and go to another school,... its not like they are forceing you to go to school there. i know for a fact if i wore some of my band tshirts that very plainly spell out FUCK JESUS or I HATE GOD i'm sure she too woudl be offened. this is a bullshit case that is a waste of tax $$$, how about we wear some type of RACIST shirt is that ok? :2up:

Romeyo07
04-11-2006, 11:42 AM
one bad apple ruins the bunch....nuff said.

collins
04-11-2006, 11:58 AM
:eek: wow, dear sweet ruth really has turned hardcore. yes, i went to highschool with her, and she was always so damn reserved and shy. she's taken on a hardcore extremist view on her faith. to an extent, her concept was valid, but i believe she went way too far and got WAY too extreme. a lawsuit? wtf? there is no need for that.

nothing wrong if she doesn't approve of the homosexual lifestyle because she feels it's "sinful". but if i recall, Jesus didn't hate against whores or tax collectors or what have you back in the day...he associated with them. so she needs to get a reality check. she's making all christians look really bad right now...

you sir, are exactly right. jesus was obviously an extremist, but he had the charizma to back it. the only time i can recall from reading that he actually got ANGRY was when people were defiling his temple. other than that, he "killed with kindness" so to speak. jesus was never rude, even to people that went totally against him.

i'll be the first to tell you that i do not AGREE with the homosexual practices or lifestyle in any shape or form, but that does not mean that i'm going to be rude or hateful toward them. they have their choice, i have mine. that is all.

Romeyo07
04-11-2006, 12:01 PM
jesus was never rude, even to people that went totally against him.

Can you imagine how much of an impact you can make by just trying to do this?

{X}Echo419
04-11-2006, 02:37 PM
this is exactly whats wrong w/ christianity today.

also if she doesn't like it it your fucking $$$ and go to another school,... its not like they are forceing you to go to school there. i know for a fact if i wore some of my band tshirts that very plainly spell out FUCK JESUS or I HATE GOD i'm sure she too woudl be offened. this is a bullshit case that is a waste of tax $$$, how about we wear some type of RACIST shirt is that ok? :2up:

blame the person not the religon.

Hulud
04-11-2006, 02:41 PM
blame the person not the religon.
he said thats whats wrong with the religion :eye:
ie the people

ShooterMcGavin
04-11-2006, 02:50 PM
i hate judgmental ppl that hide behind a religion and its teachings in an effort to persecute others. pisses me off even more than this intolerant bitch is going to my alma mater.

{X}Echo419
04-11-2006, 03:15 PM
he said thats whats wrong with the religion :eye:
ie the people

wtf did you just say? :lmfao:

Hulud
04-11-2006, 03:17 PM
wtf did you just say? :lmfao:
im assuming you have a problem reading english huh?
i said that paul said what was wrong with teh religion
i.e.=in example

ie the people

get it now?

{X}Echo419
04-11-2006, 03:23 PM
im assuming you have a problem reading english huh?
i said that paul said what was wrong with teh religion
i.e.=in example

ie the people

get it now?

well, I guess you aren't that smart after all. dosen't look like there is any way I can put this so you can understand. so stop now b4 your head caves in.

Hulud
04-11-2006, 03:25 PM
well, I guess you aren't that smart after all. dosen't look like there is any way I can put this so you can understand. so stop now b4 your head caves in.
put what? i have yet to see you make a contructive post today

fight club
04-11-2006, 05:20 PM
put what? i have yet to see you make a contructive post today

you wont ever see him do that. he might explode from the sheer excitement of putting words together in a coherent sentence.

Hulud
04-11-2006, 05:22 PM
you wont ever see him do that. he might explode from the sheer excitement of putting words together in a coherent sentence.
cherry kool aid FTW YOU DUMB SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ISAtlanta300
04-11-2006, 06:50 PM
He did say "See?? that is what the F is wrong with Christianity today" How is that not ignorant?

It would be like me saying "see?? that is what the F is wrong with Muslims today" after they hit the towers.

Would have been nicer to say "See? That is what is wrong with SOME Christian or Muslim people today, they give the religion a bad name"

That is what he meant by "Blame the person, not the religion. "

Just my .02

fight club
04-11-2006, 07:41 PM
blaming the person is only acceptable when it is just A person. if a gaping majority has that view, it must stop being the individuals fault and become the groups, thus blaming the religion.

Hulud
04-11-2006, 07:44 PM
He did say "See?? that is what the F is wrong with Christianity today" How is that not ignorant?

It would be like me saying "see?? that is what the F is wrong with Muslims today" after they hit the towers.

Would have been nicer to say "See? That is what is wrong with SOME Christian or Muslim people today, they give the religion a bad name"

That is what he meant by "Blame the person, not the religion. "

Just my .02
im not the one saying teh comment i was just clarifying what i thought admin meant. as in whats wrong with christianity today is people like her.

GTScoob
04-11-2006, 11:19 PM
also if she doesn't like it it your fucking $$$ and go to another school,... its not like they are forceing you to go to school there.

Tech's full of conservatives, the people I deal with are all pretty sane and level-headed people, not nutcases.

Just last week there were a couple of religious guys standing around with big posters on sticks condemning homosexuality and there was an even larger gathering of students nearby telling those guys to get the fuck off our campus. If I wasnt on my way to class I'd have stuck around.

fight club
04-11-2006, 11:26 PM
we get people like that alot at southern. we had a jehovah witness preacher coem with his wife and daughter to our campus, stand in the middle, and proclaim we are all the worst sinners he has ever seen and shall be cast into a brimstoney death, but our christian coallition dealt with him with some quick biblical referances. then last week we had a mennonite choir singing while passing out pamflets.

Romeyo07
04-12-2006, 06:47 AM
there's a right way, and a wrong way to do things. Seems like 75% of Christians do it the wrong way, thus making it more difficult to get a word in to someone else because they've already shut us out.

I've got my beliefs, but I wont cram it down your throat. I do enjoy talking about it and sharing what I believe, but hey if you're not interested, you're not, end of story. It's not my job to MAKE you believe, I'm just passing on the info.

I've got some friends back in Florida who are lesbians. Nicest girls I've met. They know what I believe, but don't care because I don't chastize(sp?) them for it.

Georgiaman
04-12-2006, 08:09 AM
hey guys well it is good to stand in your faith but unfortunatly she is going about this the wrong way. She is trying to speak that homosexuality is wrong out of hate. Do you honestly think any homosexual will willing just say ok ur right when someone is telling them they are going to hell. No i think not, is homosexuality wrong yes, but the only way to get people to give up sinful addictions as that is. Is to spread the love of God on them and show them Gods desperation for there soul. All this is (is mislead Christians trying to make there own way)......

4dmin
04-12-2006, 09:53 AM
hey guys well it is good to stand in your faith but unfortunatly she is going about this the wrong way. She is trying to speak that homosexuality is wrong out of hate. Do you honestly think any homosexual will willing just say ok ur right when someone is telling them they are going to hell. No i think not, is homosexuality wrong yes, but the only way to get people to give up sinful addictions as that is. Is to spread the love of God on them and show them Gods desperation for there soul. All this is (is mislead Christians trying to make there own way)......

personally she should burn on a cross for being a toolbag, christians are some of the most judgemental people it is mind boggleing. someone should pull that mellon out of her twat and cram it down her throat. :goodjob: :king:

Hulud
04-12-2006, 11:36 AM
is homosexuality wrong yes, but the only way to get people to give up sinful addictions as that is. Is to spread the love of God on them and show them Gods desperation for there soul.
wrong? in your eyes i guess so, to your precious book? i guess so

you think its an addiction? wow thats all i have to say is wow

ISAtlanta300
04-12-2006, 06:21 PM
im not the one saying teh comment i was just clarifying what i thought admin meant. as in whats wrong with christianity today is people like her.

Wasn't directed at you perse, but at the comment in general. I was also clarifying what Echo was trying to say.

But yea, people like her spoil it for the masses.

ISAtlanta300
04-12-2006, 06:23 PM
blaming the person is only acceptable when it is just A person. if a gaping majority has that view, it must stop being the individuals fault and become the groups, thus blaming the religion.

In this case it is THIS person (Her), and dude, how would you know if the gaping majority has that view unless you know all the christians in the world.

ISAtlanta300
04-12-2006, 06:26 PM
christians are some of the most judgemental people it is mind boggleing.

There you go again....

.not all of them.

But in this case, cram away.. lol

fight club
04-13-2006, 12:32 AM
In this case it is THIS person (Her), and dude, how would you know if the gaping majority has that view unless you know all the christians in the world.

no i do not know personally every christian in the world. but its funny, that the media and all the christians in power follow a trend. if it bothered the other non powerful christians then they would speak out etc.

Romeyo07
04-13-2006, 06:42 AM
There you go again....

.not all of them.

But in this case, cram away.. lol

I think we know he means not all. You have to admit though, that you get A LOT of Christians that are judgemental.

Georgiaman
04-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Ur right alot of Christians are jugdemental and i cant honestly say i am not judgemental at some points in my life but i do my best not to but being judge mental is not a Christian thing it is a human thing and it is most scorned through Christianity because it is sinful to do so in our faith

ISAtlanta300
04-13-2006, 02:20 PM
I think we know he means not all. You have to admit though, that you get A LOT of Christians that are judgemental.

Yes I can definitely admit to that. :)

Non christians are not much better though :)

Romeyo07
04-13-2006, 02:44 PM
I think most people are judgemental, but the Christians get called out on it.

Hulud
04-13-2006, 05:56 PM
I think most people are judgemental, but the Christians get called out on it.
because they arent supposed to judge ;)

{X}Echo419
04-14-2006, 11:03 AM

seems in this form it's the athesists who are the judgemental ones

Hulud
04-14-2006, 12:07 PM
seems in this form it's the athesists who are the judgemental ones
man i love how you generalize :goodjob:

since ive said soooooo much thats judgemental :rolleyes: