PDA

View Full Version : Misc what parts to get to build a new comp

Repost Squintz
04-26-2005, 06:58 PM
i know i kneed a case, motherboard, hard drive, cd drive, floppy drive.
ummm what else am i missing and which ones are the best parts?
i want to be able to download more than 5,000 songs, and surf the net with out making my computer slow. so any help would be greatly appreciated

Danny
04-26-2005, 08:20 PM
case
mobo
graphics processor (GPU)
central processing unit (CPU)
RAM
HDD
CD/DVD Rom
Power Supply Unit (PSU)

thats pretty much all you need, plus other basic stuff.

as far as best parts go? lol, sounds like all you need is some old P4 someone is selling for around 300 bucks at most.

but if you want to a performance machine (for more than surfing the web) like gaming and anything graphics intensive; then give me a budget and i will set up a nice list of parts for ya ;)

RandomGuy
04-26-2005, 09:04 PM
from what youre saying.... you dont need shit in a system... forget P4

Id recomend an AMD Sempron for your situation... thatll run cheaper than a celeron too but totally kill the celeron...
some ram
A video card (which contains the GPU)
a case... which contains the PSU
Drives (hard disk, optical, etc)
Sound, LAN etc are usually on the boards now a days...

i got a system in another thread i got to get rid of> its brand new
2.8ghz Celeron D 533 FSB w/ custom ballbearing spiral fan
1 GB PC3200 DDR w/heatsink
80 GB Seagate Barracuda
ATI Radeon 9250 Pro 128 MB
DVD + - RW 16x w/ Dual Layer
Nice ass case with neons everywhere.

This system is mid ranged... OK for gaming... OK for everything $650 w/ 17" monitor, keyboard, etc.

Repost Squintz
04-26-2005, 09:46 PM
case
mobo
graphics processor (GPU)
RAM
HDD
CD/DVD Rom
Power Supply Unit (PSU)

as far as best parts go? lol, sounds like all you need is some old P4 someone is selling for around 300 bucks at most.

but if you want to a performance machine (for more than surfing the web) like gaming and anything graphics intensive; then give me a budget and i will set up a nice list of parts for ya ;)
aight, ill pm ya with a budget soon. all i really need is the computer i got the monitor and keyboard etc., its not hard to build is it?

Danny
04-26-2005, 11:02 PM
from what youre saying.... you dont need shit in a system... forget P4

Id recomend an AMD Sempron for your situation... thatll run cheaper than a celeron too but totally kill the celeron...
some ram
A video card (which contains the GPU)
a case... which contains the PSU
Drives (hard disk, optical, etc)
Sound, LAN etc are usually on the boards now a days...

i got a system in another thread i got to get rid of> its brand new
2.8ghz Celeron D 533 FSB w/ custom ballbearing spiral fan
1 GB PC3200 DDR w/heatsink
80 GB Seagate Barracuda
ATI Radeon 9250 Pro 128 MB
DVD + - RW 16x w/ Dual Layer
Nice ass case with neons everywhere.

This system is mid ranged... OK for gaming... OK for everything $650 w/ 17" monitor, keyboard, etc.

ouch, seems steep for a celeron.
and most cheap cases contain do contain PSUs, some higher end ones do also.

the above rig would be perfect, its actually a kinda decent rig, especially if it comes with a nice keyboard, monitor ect. who makes your ram that ram? And what kind of "nice ass case" do you have.

and AMD does kick intels ass, soo... research up, and build an AMD rig. just intels are easier to find if u just want to find a nice used computer.

JUSHAVNFUN69
04-27-2005, 08:49 AM
whats a "mobo" :goodjob:

and what other basic stuff? :goodjob:

I wanna build an AMD box! :goodjob:

would these specs go for building laptops as well :goodjob:

case
mobo
graphics processor (GPU)
RAM
HDD
CD/DVD Rom
Power Supply Unit (PSU)

soul
04-27-2005, 10:20 AM
www.newegg.com if you know what your doing.

or www.ibuypower.com for prebuilts

4dmin
04-27-2005, 12:50 PM
now a days is just cheaper to buy a machine off the line compared to building... all that $$$ on crap and your just gonna play video games/surf the web, big waste of money.

unless your some developer, game tester, designer, producer, you don't need top of the line... you want a machine for cheap go to: www.tigerdirect.com or www.pricewatch.com you'll get everything you need and licensed software :goodjob:

Danny
04-27-2005, 01:28 PM
all that $$$ on crap and your just gonna play video games/surf the web, big waste of money.

unless your some developer, game tester, designer, producer, you don't need top of the line...:

building a gaming/ top of the line rig isnt a waste of money if thats what you like to do. if thats your outlook on everything (which it should be, dont be biased towards geeks lol) then you think all hobbies are a waste of money?

4dmin
04-29-2005, 11:41 AM
building a gaming/ top of the line rig isnt a waste of money if thats what you like to do. if thats your outlook on everything (which it should be, dont be biased towards geeks lol) then you think all hobbies are a waste of money?

i'll put it this way i'm always ranked in the top whenever i play online and i don't use top of the line equipment so yes its a waste of money. your not going to get better gaming out of a 500$ video card compared to 100$ card, its not going to make your connection faster its not going to help you kill faster.... you can have 1gb of ram its not going to do it either, neither is 3ghz... i use a 2.8ghz machine w/ 512mb of ram w/ an ATI 128mb card (pci as well) and i still get a 35-150 ping on servers and i still will own all day long ;)

Danny
04-29-2005, 02:07 PM
^^^ your comparing hardware with frags??? wtf, duh a nice graphics card wont give you more frags. Although technically it would allow you to frag more if you have a nice card versus a dated card. For us folks that like great graphics and not 800x600 res, its not a waste for us to build a bad ass rig and drop a little extra cash to get high end product instead of mid-grade consumer. Granted, i would say: the absolute TOP of the line is a waste.(ie: SLI 6800's, 64FX, peilter cooled rigs that fricking get 35000 marks in my situation are a waste; and thats due to my lacking funds) But i would be damed if i had money to spare and didnt build that.

Here is where you attitude is very funny: you are building that little GTI thing, correct? Now if my attitude was as close minded towards cars as your is to people that want high end computers than my comment would be: "hey paul, why have a FMIC a some other random performance stuff when the speed limit is 55 and traffic on the way to work flippin travels a 45mph?" In return you would call me ignorant (which i would be) and go on to explain how fun it is to have a GTI that woops a corvettes ass. So heres my question, whys it a waste of money to build a high end rig if thats what you injoy? please inlighten me.

4dmin
04-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Here is where you attitude is very funny: you are building that little GTI thing, correct? Now if my attitude was as close minded towards cars as your is to people that want high end computers than my comment would be: "hey paul, why have a FMIC a some other random performance stuff when the speed limit is 55 and traffic on the way to work flippin travels a 45mph?" In return you would call me ignorant (which i would be) and go on to explain how fun it is to have a GTI that woops a corvettes ass. So heres my question, whys it a waste of money to build a high end rig if thats what you injoy? please inlighten me.you compare it to frags b/c thats what matters... gameplay right? if i can get the job done w/ less specs you are doing something wrong.

if you can do the same thing w/ less specs why pay more? if i can get the same 10hp for $100's less why pay more? please explain to me why all that has been listed is needed for the typical user or online gamer??? your not going to be any better b/c of it.

we are not talking 5 years ago when software surpassed hardware, now-a-days hardware is top of the game and software is waiting to catch up till then i'm right. i think i would take my advise on this considering what i do for a living.

soul
04-29-2005, 05:24 PM
i prefer to run max settings and look good, and perform good. 800x600 is crap, so waht do you do, you buy a high end graphic card.

Ram, Vid Card, and CPU can determine alot of things in game, granted your playing FPS it isnt as important, cause nowadays it doesnt matter if you 10 or 55 everyone is about teh same in FPS thats why they all suck. Yes i play em to, but when you start playing WoW or Doom3 or HL2 your gonna need it those higher end things to get better performance

acurasquirrel
04-29-2005, 08:24 PM
http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=5610 I have this for sale. Its extremely decent. If you are going to do alot of gaming, you may want to upgrade the video card. The 9800 Pro is decent and can be had for less than 150.

4dmin
04-30-2005, 12:34 AM
i prefer to run max settings and look good, and perform good. 800x600 is crap, so waht do you do, you buy a high end graphic card.

Ram, Vid Card, and CPU can determine alot of things in game, granted your playing FPS it isnt as important, cause nowadays it doesnt matter if you 10 or 55 everyone is about teh same in FPS thats why they all suck. Yes i play em to, but when you start playing WoW or Doom3 or HL2 your gonna need it those higher end things to get better performance
where you guys keep getting 800x600 res, that shit went out when windows 2000 came out... most chipsets w/ pIII came w/ 1024x768 or higher capability. i know guys running p3 systems to run WOW, HL2, etc and they still will own. performance parts for computers now a days (equi. P4/athlon) are almost pointless for the typical user... its like buying AIR JORDANS the don't make you play like JORDAN b/c you paid 125$ for a pair of shoes just make you look good ;)

AtifSajid
04-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Put it to you all this way. If you been in the business as long as Paul and I have, you dont care to waste your time building a system. We know how long it takes, and all that shit. We would just rather get a system that meets our specs for cheap and go with it.

I use to own my own computer company for over 3 years and had built over 75 systems from scratch. Not worth it now. It was fun then...that was only for a little time. Now I just resell.