PDA

View Full Version : General Chat 99.5/2000 Audi A4 1.8t

tofufighter
04-03-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm strongly considering buying one of these. It would have around 90-110k miles on it. (9-10k price range)

Does anyone know of any mechanical issues I should worry about or have any suggestions on what I should watch out for?

Also

How reliable are they?
I've heard that VW go forever and this is essential a jetta in nicer trim.

Thanks in advance for the info :D

tofufighter
04-03-2006, 08:36 AM
I just realized that this post would probably fit better in
GENERAL TECH
moderators feel free to move.

rollininstyle2004
04-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Actually if you want the best opinion just come post this over in the VW/Audi forum.

A4 is basically a Passat not a Jetta ;)

VAG cars have thier quirks, if you take care of them they are good cars though. I would make sure to get a FULL service history on any car with that many miles before buying it. Make sure everything was done on time, make sure the oil changes were done with FULL synthetic to reduce the sludge problems the 1.8Ts have. Also when looking try to avoid the AEB engine code, it tends to be slightly more problematic then the others.

Like i said post this over in the dub/audi forum and everyone else can help you out some more.

tofufighter
04-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the info.

It's hard to get the full history of cars now a days. Most cars in that mileage range have been through several owners.

I'll search for a good VW/Audi forum. :)

3kgtdrvr
04-03-2006, 07:05 PM
not that its really relevant, but my buddy just got an audi tt hardtop. seeeeexxxxyyy car!!!

4dmin
04-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I would buy a Passat or Jetta over it. Cheaper for the same motor ;)

Julio
04-04-2006, 03:17 PM
nice car.. But I agree w/ Admin.

Blitanicle99
04-13-2006, 09:00 AM
My buddy had (keyword had) the 2.8 awd and loved it. It was a 96 in green and god damn that thing would corner. The first time I rode in it I damn neer shat myself lol. But I wanted one for awhile and researched a bit. Most definatly get eh 1.8 they have much more parts made for it and the mpg is much better. BUT they cannot use a BOV they are a closed loop system turbo or whatever and will not run a BOV. Around 100k there is some huge matinance upgrade reccomended something like 2 grand to do it. Also AWD will steal your gas. It sucks but great great car. Very german and great sounding engine.

4dmin
04-13-2006, 09:26 AM
^ "100k 2 grand matinance" ummm never heard of that... and VW/Audi run DV or divertor valves; you can use a BOV like HKS/Greddy/Other but they have to be able to be setup as you described. :goodjob:

Blitanicle99
04-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Ahh just what I read off some audi forums probably six months ago.

tofufighter
04-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I've posted the same question on VW vortex and they basically told me the same thing.

I'm beginning to be kinda werry of buying a turbo car with high mileage on it. It all depends on how it was driven and it's hard to know that on a 5-6 year old car with multiple owners.

I'm looking at a 5th gen prelude this weekend. Good ole Honda.

Why does dawn german engineering have to cost so much!