PDA

View Full Version : WTF Law 40-8-71

TypeR1985
03-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey, anyone ever got this as a ticket, The number is

40-8-71. the stupid cop said That “Any car in the state of Georgia cannot have a modified muffler and/or exhaust." I have a #1 header and a 2 1/2 pipe back to a lil muffler I got at pep boys... lol. I asked him what the deal was and he wouldn’t even answer me. He wrote "Exhaust system (some unreadable shit) modified to produce excessive noise." "This vehicle produced extremely loud noise." Does anyone think this is some shit??? If so everyone with an import car should get a ticket for a modified muffler? No?

Well what im going to do is go get a D.O.T. full catback and take it to court and see what they say about that!

Fucking pigs!!!!!!:chuckles:

TypeR1985
03-30-2006, 09:32 PM
here is the link to the page with the law

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=40-8-71

brads94accord
03-30-2006, 09:41 PM
hmm...

I have a #1 header and a 2 1/2 pipe back to a lil muffler I got at pep boys i think you answered your question

judging by your cars in your sig...." 96 Chevy S10 - Fliped" and "88 Carbon fiber civic hatch - Crashed"

sounds like you drive a like a jackass, so i don't blame the cop for pulling you over

imbosile
03-30-2006, 09:42 PM
hmm...
i think you answered your question

judging by your cars in your sig...." 96 Chevy S10 - Fliped" and "88 Carbon fiber civic hatch - Crashed"

sounds like you drive a like a jackass, so i don't blame the cop for pulling you over

ahahah good point.

JoeCoolinATL
03-30-2006, 10:38 PM
if only i could give 100000000000 positive reps to the cop. that would be great.
i always get a kick out of ricers who always make threads "fuckin cops" "fucking pigs" etc
why do you kids think the boxes for the products you complain about getting pulled over for always say FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY or NOT FOR STREET USE
etc
stupid kids

Scrappy
03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
hmm...

+1!!!!:goodjob:

Deaf Pimp
03-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Anything on any vehicle that is not OEM is illegal... DOT legal or not. You can get cited for having a modified suspension. It's just not something cops snoop around for... but if they wanted to, they could cite tickets for it.

Halfwit
03-30-2006, 10:45 PM
he was doin his job. u want some one coming to ur job, u doin work for them, then they call u names?...tisk tisk.

HyPer50
03-30-2006, 11:21 PM
If the cop wants to be a dick, he can legally ticket you for pretty much any non OE equipment on your car, wheels included.

Bishop
03-30-2006, 11:36 PM
LOL your car cant be loud at all....try a 3inch header back lol. Never been harrased either.

Hulud
03-30-2006, 11:59 PM
hmm...

FTW

Hulud
03-31-2006, 12:00 AM
LOL your car cant be loud at all....try a 3inch header back lol. Never been harrased either.
werd i got pulled over last nite, he thought i was drunk LOL
i left with no ticket

se-riousr
03-31-2006, 12:11 AM
if u read the post that tell about 40-8-71 it dont say u cannot change anything it say that it has to go from the front to the back and i dont like cops and i dont give a fuck what u have to say about what i wrote if u are one then i dont like u.

Hulud
03-31-2006, 12:14 AM
if u read the post that tell about 40-8-71 it dont say u cannot change anything it say that it has to go from the front to the back and i dont like cops and i dont give a fuck what u have to say about what i wrote if u are one then i dont like u.
did u graduate highschool?

Scrappy
03-31-2006, 12:41 AM
if u read the post that tell about 40-8-71 it dont say u cannot change anything it say that it has to go from the front to the back and i dont like cops and i dont give a fuck what u have to say about what i wrote if u are one then i dont like u.:screwy: you really are special! geeze...

Sibious
03-31-2006, 01:00 AM
hmm...

goodpoint FTW!! :goodjob:

wes_297
03-31-2006, 01:01 AM
sounds like it was a noise violation?

civic95
03-31-2006, 06:28 AM
why don't they pull over all the loud ass Harleys? Some of them are just way too loud.

The Ren
03-31-2006, 06:33 AM

ummmm......what?

Ran
03-31-2006, 06:39 AM
ummmm......what?I think he's talking about the law itself that you can find at the link provided earlier in this thread. The final point in the law states a lot of stuff about 'selling' and 'offering for sale' illegal modifications like mufflers that cause excess noise, test-pipes, and the such; but there's nothing listed there about having it equipped on your car.

I'd print the page out and take it to court.

The Ren
03-31-2006, 06:45 AM
I think he's talking about the law itself that you can find at the link provided earlier in this thread. The final point in the law states a lot of stuff about 'selling' and 'offering for sale' illegal modifications like mufflers that cause excess noise, test-pipes, and the such; but there's nothing listed there about having it equipped on your car.

I'd print the page out and take it to court.

Thank you for clearing that up for me..I cant comprehend 3rd grade grammer.. But seriously why hate cops.. that I dont understand.. Whenever you modify your car you run the risk of being pulled over, and if you drive like an idiot or if you act stupid.. you deserve the ticket.. Ever hear people rag on me for not "really driving" my car.. thats cause I dont go anymore than 10 over the speed limit.. I like to keep my car and my liscence.. Wanna go fast? There are lots of drag strips in GA that are sactioned just for that... and guess what??? They are legal, and if your lucky you may even get one lucky night where a cop will even race you.

Ran
03-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Thank you for clearing that up for me..I cant comprehend 3rd grade grammer.. But seriously why hate cops.. that I dont understand.. Whenever you modify your car you run the risk of being pulled over, and if you drive like an idiot or if you act stupid.. you deserve the ticket.. Ever hear people rag on me for not "really driving" my car.. thats cause I dont go anymore than 10 over the speed limit.. I like to keep my car and my liscence.. Wanna go fast? There are lots of drag strips in GA that are sactioned just for that... and guess what??? They are legal, and if your lucky you may even get one lucky night where a cop will even race you.+1 for that.

You gotta take into account tho that there are cops who are just bent out of shapes and like to harass kids with modified cars. These kinds of cops aren't real police officers IMO. Real cops catch criminals, maintain justice, and protect people. It's these kinds of policemen that I respect.

HyPer50
03-31-2006, 08:31 AM
I drive fast at times, but I dont bitch when I get a ticket... But I don't agree with that whole never get on it unless your at the track theory crap... I'll get on it occasionally on the roads, I'm not gonna do it on a crowded street or in bad conditions, but thats just me.

Kalifornia087
03-31-2006, 08:36 AM
I know about half the Gainesville and hall county cops from working at QT, and most of them are pretty cool. It's your own dumbass fault for running a fucking straight pipe and a cheap ass muffler at the end in the first place. Why even do that anyway? Without a very serious and large mod list, it probably didn't help you much. They should have bitch slapped you for deafening them in the first place.

B16a2 Civic
03-31-2006, 08:38 AM
why don't they pull over all the loud ass Harleys? Some of them are just way too loud.

LIRL i know

Kalifornia087
03-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Harleys are loud as hell stock though...

The Ren
03-31-2006, 08:42 AM
+1 for that.

You gotta take into account tho that there are cops who are just bent out of shapes and like to harass kids with modified cars. These kinds of cops aren't real police officers IMO. Real cops catch criminals, maintain justice, and protect people. It's these kinds of policemen that I respect.

I agree..Although more cops then not are the real cops. It sucks if you get caught for speeding.. but my whole outlook changed when I was in a car with a friend who got a DUI. I was passed out (Had no idea that the driver was drunk since I was pretty much taken to the car drunk as hell) and woken up by us getting stopped. I just thank god that it was a cop who stopped us, and not the back of a semi, a tree, or a telephone pole. I have seen too many kids our age die because they were acting stupid on the streets with their cars..

DurtySpeed
03-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Usually in Ga, most cops leave us alone for modified vehicles. Technically speaking by georgia law, your taillight/headlights can not be more than 2 inches up/down from stock height. That alone make most vehicle on IA illegal, I know it does almost everything I have ever owned. They just leave us alone if we aren't causing trouble. But if yours is really loud and they see you being stupid, obnoxious, etc. They are pefectly within their right to give you tickets for these things.

For the person who made the comment about harleys, the same goes for them. But other than that, most cops leave them alone because in america, Harleys have a certain respect. Just like people in restored classic cars with built motors and loud exhausts. The have a certain respect, that and they usually aren't going around being stupid like the person who made this thread, because I am sure he wasn't just sitting at a light minding his own business and got pulled over. All though, that is what he will say.

DurtySpeed
03-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Hey, anyone ever got this as a ticket, The number is

40-8-71. the stupid cop said That “Any car in the state of Georgia cannot have a modified muffler and/or exhaust." I have a #1 header and a 2 1/2 pipe back to a lil muffler I got at pep boys... lol. I asked him what the deal was and he wouldn’t even answer me. He wrote "Exhaust system (some unreadable shit) modified to produce excessive noise." "This vehicle produced extremely loud noise." Does anyone think this is some shit??? If so everyone with an import car should get a ticket for a modified muffler? No?

Well what im going to do is go get a D.O.T. full catback and take it to court and see what they say about that!

Fucking pigs!!!!!!:chuckles:

Just hearing what you exhaust is, I am sure it sounds like shit and probably really did deserve the ticket. Is there even a cat? That makes a big difference in how your exhaust sounds. Regardless, you should legally have a cat, unless you don't have emissions, you really won't get caught, at least I don't. Go get a resonator or two put in. It won't hurt your exhaust flow hardly at all but it will make it a little quiter and most importly, it will sound a lot better, deeper.

DurtySpeed
03-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Also, if you put the resonators in at a exhaust shop, take the reciept with you to court and you may get lucky. It will have the same effect as your dot exhaust that would cost 400-800 bucks. They may dissmiss it.

On another note, I don't know that what you wrote is what the law is. I didn't think GA had restrictions on what you replace. It just has to have a cat and be within the decibel limits which if yours is what you say, then it probably isn't.

Ran
03-31-2006, 11:03 AM
It just has to have a cat and be within the decibel limits which if yours is what you say, then it probably isn't.I don't think they traditionally mind the noise as long as you're not being as @sshat. My exhaust on the Miata has a cat but no muffler and is obnoxiously V8-loud. I've driven past cops all the time and never been pulled over fot it.

DurtySpeed
03-31-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't think they traditionally mind the noise as long as you're not being as @sshat. My exhaust on the Miata has a cat but no muffler and is obnoxiously V8-loud. I've driven past cops all the time and never been pulled over fot it.

Yeah, exactly. I did say that in one of the three posts, lol. They just don't like you if you annoy them or others with it. Now if you started reving when you pass, that would get them after you.

brads94accord
03-31-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't think they traditionally mind the noise as long as you're not being as @sshat. My exhaust on the Miata has a cat but no muffler and is obnoxiously V8-loud. I've driven past cops all the time and never been pulled over fot it.

mine is pretty loud too because i have piping straight thru from turbo-back running thru a very unrestrictive muffler.
but i don't drive like an asshat and flip s10s and wreck carbon fiber civic hatch's so cops have no reason to pull me over

buddha@TeamFX
03-31-2006, 01:20 PM
I've never been giving a hard time about the camaro...and its really loud...Most of the time when I got pulled over in it...was cause they wanted to look at it LOL!!

RandomGuy
03-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Thank you for clearing that up for me..I cant comprehend 3rd grade grammer.. But seriously why hate cops..
:rly:

quickdodge®
03-31-2006, 03:33 PM

[color=black][font=Verdana]Fucking pigs!!!!!!:chuckles:

I'm thinking one thing:

You're a dumbass. Later, QD.

ahmonrah
03-31-2006, 04:09 PM
if u read the post that tell about 40-8-71 it dont say u cannot change anything it say that it has to go from the front to the back and i dont like cops and i dont give a fuck what u have to say about what i wrote if u are one then i dont like u.that was a very dumb statement....~turns downwind, unzips fly, pissing~ whoa, looks like i got it on your shoe, se-riousr...oh well...~turns back around, walks off.~

BTEC
03-31-2006, 04:11 PM
tell him to take his 40-8-71 and shove it up his pooper sideways. worked for me