PDA

View Full Version : Rattling Noise in 99 Civic EX

CiVeK9
03-28-2006, 07:50 AM
I was heading out of old Navy last night and while i was driving i heard a slight rattling noise as i was pulling out then it went away. I revved the engine up and I didn't hear anything. I cranked the car up this morning in my drive way and moved the steering wheel all the way to the left then right. as i was going to the right i heard the same rattling noise. I did it again and I didn't hear anything. Any suggestions on what the problem can be? Maybe replace a CV axle?

Quick Summary

- Started to hear slight rattling last night while driving

- Cranks the car this morning and turned the steering wheel all the way to the left then as I was turning to the right i heard the slight rattling noise

- I did the same thing over again and I didn't hear anything

Possible Solutions:

- Replace CV Axle?

I didn't have enough time to take any other inspections to see if oil was leaking from the boots of the cv axle or not..had to goto class. any help would be greatly appreciated

3kgtdrvr
03-28-2006, 10:55 AM
if it makes the noise when ur not moving then its probably not ur axles. did u check ur steering stuff? id do a road test

B16a2 Civic
03-28-2006, 10:58 AM
if its while your turning....cv axle or boot.
what i suggest is turn ya music all the way down and roll ya windows down, try and hear it again while making turns, if its only while turns, try to isolate which side its comming from.
More then like, if you make hard turns and turn the steering wheel as hard and possible, it make have busted the boot.....if so, you can get a cv boot repair kit at Autozone, if its a busted axle, you gotta swap the whole thing out.

also, is it a clicking or your defintly sure its rattling, get back to us man.

blurred_visi
03-28-2006, 12:01 PM
yeah it is probably your axle

speedminded
03-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Axles don't rattle! wtf?! :slap: :slap: :slap: all of you! I'd check the pulley on the A/C compressor and the powersteering system.

B16a2 Civic
03-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Axles don't rattle! wtf?! :slap: :slap: :slap: all of you! I'd check the pulley on the A/C compressor and the powersteering system.

also, is it a clicking or your defintly sure its rattling, get back to us man.

3kgtdrvr
03-28-2006, 02:08 PM
im with b16a2civic, only one person said it was the axles

if it makes the noise when ur not moving then its probably not ur axles. did u check ur steering stuff? id do a road test

speedminded
03-28-2006, 02:14 PM
im with b16a2civic, only one person said it was the axles
if its while your turning....cv axle or boot.
what i suggest is turn ya music all the way down and roll ya windows down, try and hear it again while making turns, if its only while turns, try to isolate which side its comming from.
More then like, if you make hard turns and turn the steering wheel as hard and possible, it make have busted the boot.....if so, you can get a cv boot repair kit at Autozone, if its a busted axle, you gotta swap the whole thing out.

also, is it a clicking or your defintly sure its rattling, get back to us man.^^^every single sentence implies axle then closed it with "is it clicking or rattling?" That's two people...he never said he was moving when it rattled and B16 never said he had to be moving :tongue:

B16a2 Civic
03-28-2006, 02:35 PM
^^^every single sentence implies axle then closed it with "is it clicking or rattling?" That's two people...he never said he was moving when it rattled and B16 never said he had to be moving :tongue:

true, but when he said " i was pullin out" i figured he had to turn to leave when he left the parking, none th eless, we'll find out, its not like any of us are making money from the advice LIRL

3kgtdrvr
03-28-2006, 02:44 PM
...yeah, now im just really confused lol