PDA

View Full Version : Question-240SX/RB20

Z32redondo
03-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Ok so I have been thinking about getting a little 4 banger 240SX thinking that it was like crx's and other small import cars, that the 4 cyl. engine was all the engine bay could fit without heavy modificaton. And that to get a nissan with a inline 6 i would have to get a 300ZX or skyline. But then I saw this video.

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/1/C3CED9CB-47C1-448F-9E7B-A384F5D99CA1.htm

And it says that this 95 240 has a RB20 swap and it is an inline 6 producing 300 hp (or somethin like that). I know that the RB20 is common in skyline's and other high powered nismo cars. But my question is-Is it relatively easy to put this engine in a 240 without having to do a shitload of modifications to the engine bay.

I dont know much about nissan's and would like to be able to do a swap in about a 1/1.5 years of having the car after i turn 16 (i would be 17 or 18).

Mattlanta
03-27-2006, 09:08 PM
You can swap whatever you want if you are willing to pay. An RB20 would be a mistake though cause you can use an RB25 or RB26. No point getting 6cyl. if you're loosing displacement. That's why you do an SR20 or an RB25/26.

Then again I would say the same thing about getting a Mustang with a V6. Maybe it's just me, take no offence.

Ninety Four
03-27-2006, 09:17 PM
The RB25/26 is getting to be more of a common swap, but don't expect it to be cheap. The SR20 swap is probably going to be cheaper and it's more common. Unless you're planning a huge build on the engine, IMO the SR20 will satisfy just as much as an RB.

PhAtBoYMr2
03-27-2006, 09:19 PM
hmmm, if i had a 240sx i would fit nothing but an rb26tt motor....have you ever ridden an a rb26 powered 240? there insane

SampaGuy
03-27-2006, 09:21 PM
rb20 is cheaper than sr and its a good bang for the buck. you can do a complete swap under $2500. only thing you would need to make it fit is custom motor mounts, lots of places sell them, including TopHat

Z32redondo
03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Then again I would say the same thing about getting a Mustang with a V6. Maybe it's just me, take no offence.

Parents wont let me keep it. let alone have anything higher than a v6 (wouldnt blame them, i would kill myself) if I had bought the stang it would be the GT V8.

Thanks for the info, how much of a displacement gap is there between the RB20,25/26 and SR20...which engine would be the better buy, or what engine (if not listed) would be the better buy?

Ninety Four
03-27-2006, 10:25 PM
The name disignates the displacement.

SR20DET = 2.0 liter single turbo
RB26DETT = 2.6 liter twin turbo

et cetera...

TheSnail
03-28-2006, 04:09 AM
For 300hp on a cheap budget, go with a CA, rb20, Sr20. If you want to build somthing beyond 500hp go with a 25 or 26. They are all easy to swap, other then the 26.

FDslider
03-28-2006, 10:32 AM
And that to get a nissan with a inline 6 i would have to get a 300ZX or skyline.

BTW, a 300ZX has a V6, not an inline 6, just giving you some info lil buddy.

speedminded
03-28-2006, 10:37 AM
I don't get it, parents wouldn't let you get a V8 but did get you a convertible mustang...sounds like they are clearly more worried about their pockets (initial cost & insurance) than your safety.

As for the swaps, welcome to the 90's. Anything can fit in anything with the right budget, with 240's (S13 & S14 bodies) and nearly all honda/acura cars being the most common for swaps and have been done for years and years.

FORTHEWIN
03-28-2006, 02:18 PM
eh, go with the sr20, and keep the a/c and powersteering. the rb is only worth it for the sound really. the extra weight keeps it at about the same speed as the SR. sr gets better gas, you can keep ac and ps(if you want it), cheaper to buy parts for and fix up. get a front clip from NAD AUTO. sr's are about $2,600 depending on mileage, rb's are only about $500 cheaper. sr's are just better in the long run for what it sounds like you want.

Z32redondo
03-28-2006, 04:24 PM
I don't get it, parents wouldn't let you get a V8 but did get you a convertible mustang...sounds like they are clearly more worried about their pockets (initial cost & insurance) than your safety.

Car was originally bought for my sister in 2003 she recently bought a mazda tribute and now the mustang went down to me. I asked if I could get a GT and they were like no cause u would get in a accident. My mom says this because she had a mustang when she turned 16 v-8 and all fully loaded and went through a brick wall tryin to launch it (i know really stupid). And since I drive the mustang like a maniac they wont let me get anything above a v-6 now sooo im stuck with a 4 banger (not sayion anything is wrong with them though:D)

And yes insurance plays a role in it,<---------also y i cant keep the mustang

HyPer50
03-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Car was originally bought for my sister in 2003 she recently bought a mazda tribute and now the mustang went down to me. I asked if I could get a GT and they were like no cause u would get in a accident. My mom says this because she had a mustang when she turned 16 v-8 and all fully loaded and went through a brick wall tryin to launch it (i know really stupid). And since I drive the mustang like a maniac they wont let me get anything above a v-6 now sooo im stuck with a 4 banger (not sayion anything is wrong with them though:D)

And yes insurance plays a role in it,<---------also y i cant keep the mustang

Thats why you get an OLD mustang = ) Cheaper, faster, and in my opinion much better looking (aside from the 03 cobra.... but dont think your parents would spring for that). And I think the reason speedminded pointed out the fact that you have a vert. It's cause if you roll that thing, your dead, flat out. Happened to my friend in my sig, I will never ride in a mustang vert (or any vert for that matter) without some type of roll bar in it.

Mattlanta
03-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Well, you might consider a motor swap in your Stang... Since the VIN is for a V6 you won't get charged any more on insurance (it will be the same since they think you have a V6 in it), and you can get V8's cheap cheap! It also saves having to get another car to start with. I guess it all depends on how much you like your Stang or how much you want something new/different.

Ninety Four
03-28-2006, 04:59 PM
I think an SR powered 240SX is 10x cooler than a Mustang... save the supercharged Cobra R or maybe the new Shelby

Bishop
03-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Well, you might consider a motor swap in your Stang... Since the VIN is for a V6 you won't get charged any more on insurance (it will be the same since they think you have a V6 in it), and you can get V8's cheap cheap! It also saves having to get another car to start with. I guess it all depends on how much you like your Stang or how much you want something new/different.
he has to get rid of the car because they need cheaper insurance...and his parents wont let him get anything above a v6...i think they will notcie if he gets a v8 swapped in.

Z32redondo
03-28-2006, 05:00 PM

I cant keep the stang. and gas aint cheap so im actually looking forward to the small engine. And i agree about the whole roll bar thing.

Mattlanta
03-28-2006, 05:21 PM
I think an SR powered 240SX is 10x cooler than a Mustang... save the supercharged Cobra R or maybe the new Shelby

I agree, but that's why I don't have a Mustang, but maybe it's a better option for him???

By the way, I'm pretty sure the Cobra R is NA...no supercharger.

HiPSI
03-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Parents wont let me keep it. let alone have anything higher than a v6 (wouldnt blame them, i would kill myself)

so why the hell would you build a light car with more power?

Mattlanta
03-28-2006, 05:27 PM
he has to get rid of the car because they need cheaper insurance...and his parents wont let him get anything above a v6...i think they will notcie if he gets a v8 swapped in.

Yeah, I missed that last part about not keeping the Mustang and that insurance plays a part in it. If that's the case with a V6 though, I don't think a 240 will be much better. And the parental units probably wouldn't approve of a swap in the 240 either from the sound of it.

The solution:
Get a job, make some $$$ and do what you want :goodjob:

Z32redondo
03-28-2006, 07:19 PM
so why the hell would you build a light car with more power?

I dont know much about nissan's and would like to be able to do a swap in about a 1/1.5 years of having the car after i turn 16 (i would be 17 or 18).

Guess u missed that part about the swap taking place when im like 17-18....:eye:

Ninety Four
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
I agree, but that's why I don't have a Mustang, but maybe it's a better option for him???

By the way, I'm pretty sure the Cobra R is NA...no supercharger.

Eh, whatever previous gen Mustang came superchared, then. I don't pay attention to domestics.

HyPer50
03-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Eh, whatever previous gen Mustang came superchared, then. I don't pay attention to domestics.

Ya... thats obvious. Perhaps you mean the 03+ Cobra's? or Saleens?

wantboost
03-28-2006, 10:24 PM
so why the hell would you build a light car with more power? lol i was saying that the whole time i was reading it lol :bowdown:

BigPoppaHurtm
03-28-2006, 10:56 PM
There is a guy on here with a blue s14 rb20det making 300+ rwhp. He once told me tif you use the rb subframe it is a bolt in without any custom motor mounts. Not sure if thats true or not though. You will see him most weekends at barret if you wanna talk to him about it.

twkg
03-28-2006, 11:09 PM
eh...not to take away from the sr, but it's just being done too often. if youre gunna have a project, make it a real project. not just a direct fit rb20. i say use an rb25 or rb26.

Sirk
03-29-2006, 12:31 AM
You do not need custom motor mounts to fit an rb20 in a 240, use the subframe that comes with the clip. You will need custom mounts for a 25/26. IMO, if your concerned about gas mileage go sr, i routinely get 25mpg and dynoed 229whp 250ft/lb.