PDA

View Full Version : 4 channel amps powering a sub??

Professor
03-26-2006, 11:38 AM
How do I do that? I have a 4 channel amp, and i want to power a 12'' sub. Sorry for the complete utter ignorance, but when it comes to wires, etc, i get confused easily. heh. thanks.

JASONBALL
03-26-2006, 01:25 PM
brigde two of the channels. but reallly try to get a 1- channel amp or even a good two channel. That four channel won't do any kind of justice. that is my knowledge.

Trey
03-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Get a dual voice coil (DVC) sub. It's like two speakers built into one. JL makes a 12w3-d2/ d4/ d6. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=12

On your amp, bridge channels 1-2 and then also 3-4. Run bridged channels 1-2 to one speaker lead and then run bridged channels 3-4 to the other. The ohm ratings on the sub will be dependant on your amp tho. What amp do you have? Is it stable down to 2 ohms? 1.5 ohms?

OR....

You can do what I did and run that 4 channel amp in three channel mode.

Bridge channels 3-4 to the sub and run channels 1-2 in stereo mode for the front speakers. Works great.

JASONBALL
03-26-2006, 05:01 PM
good Idea didn't think of that with the dVC

BanginJimmy
03-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Get a dual voice coil (DVC) sub. It's like two speakers built into one. JL makes a 12w3-d2/ d4/ d6. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=12

On your amp, bridge channels 1-2 and then also 3-4. Run bridged channels 1-2 to one speaker lead and then run bridged channels 3-4 to the other. The ohm ratings on the sub will be dependant on your amp tho. What amp do you have? Is it stable down to 2 ohms? 1.5 ohms?

OR....

You can do what I did and run that 4 channel amp in three channel mode.

Bridge channels 3-4 to the sub and run channels 1-2 in stereo mode for the front speakers. Works great.

under no circumstances should you do the first one. Even though the amp 'should' put out the same it doesnt. There are tolerances in the parts of each side so the chances of both sides being exact are basicly zero. Sending both coils a different signal will damage the sub, especailly over time.

the second option is a good idea though if you ahve a dual 2 ohm sub or 2 dual 1 or 4 ohm subs. Very rarely will you find a 4 channel amp that is stable at 2 ohm bridged.