PDA

View Full Version : Misc Are DJs or Rap Artist Musicians???

4dmin
04-25-2005, 11:55 AM
This is a funny topic, b/c i think there is a fine line between musician/poet/entertainer. Personally i think DJs are entertainers but not musicians; unless they are actually scratching records, buidling remixes, & mixing tracks. A dj using that digital cd scratch pad doesn't count for me to call them a musician. As far as rappers i would say the general rap artist is more of a poet then anything else. Not many rappers write the music they rap to its digital samples or beats from a drum machine. So what do you think?

quickdodge®
04-25-2005, 12:32 PM
That is a fine line, man. I look to consider a musician as someone who actually does hands on music writing/playing an instrument. But for a producer, such as Dr. Dre, or a DJ, such as Dj Mark Yerm(lolol), they should hold some sort of musical inclination. A DJ, most of the time, doesn't make his own music, yet he does make some form of music with his work. I think they could be musicians, but I don't know if I consider them true musicians.

Rappers are different. More like hyperactive, expressive poets. But I also think that they have some form of musical talent in them.

All in all, I think that they are some form of musician. Maybe just not true musicians. Later, QD.

uncle_el
04-25-2005, 12:34 PM
well, i suppose it would depend on your definition of "music" and thus "musician".

is music soley the notes made via a piano, drum, guitar, trumpet, saxophone etc.- what most would term a traditional musical instrument? can other things that make music, such as a digital synthesizer, be considered musical instruments?

do the notes have to be written down to be considered music? or can a jam session be considered music as well?

but i guess we're only talking about dj's and rap artists, lol.

i would say that a dj, using a drum machine, digital sythesizer, etc. is the one who "writes" the musical melody. but putting the vocals on it takes talent as well, and completes the song. as the rap artist is the one who puts the vocals/lyrics down, he/she is a part of making the music as well.

in my mind, both dj's and rap artists are musicians, though not in the traditional sense.

4dmin
04-25-2005, 12:56 PM
almost anything can be made into an instrument, but it is the talent of the artist to define what is or isn't music. i think if i see a dj put a cd in and use one of the digital scratch cd boxes; that doesn't make him a musician, it is all preprogramed ready to play. (you can get those at walmart if your interested) but if you take your traditional dj scratching vinly records fliping his tricks and shit now that is talent for me to call him a musician. as far as rap goes, there are only a few maybe a handful that i can considered musicians, b/c most of the time all it is is words to music, which to me makes them poets.

Brandon C
04-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Well In My line of work I have Made my own origanal tracks and as far as being a musician I would Say yes in a way that my instrument is my Turntable's and the way I put other music together is my Song. As far as rappers go depending I kind of agree w/ QD as that music is being made and the artist is doing his/her way or style.

Being a Long Time Dj I agree w/ Paul that a cd Player guy who just's Plays cd's buy pushing start an stop really is not a DJ any one can do That..Well lets take it a step farther Lets break the History Of Both..

DJ ie Means Disc Jockey or Better yet this was the origanal term for a MC and was switched by the US coulture..
now M.C. is just that a Master of Ceramonies-- I.E. control over the enviroment..

I actually used to used the term C.M when I played out alot refering to Crow Motivator...

Just my little in Sight..

I had To chime in

CHIME..

chuck
04-25-2005, 01:49 PM
talented artists...certianly
musicians...most of the time no

go tell your average 'rap artist x' to "rap" out the bridge of one of his songs, or that he is a half step sharp or flat and they'll probably wonder what you are trying to say...

FrnkPwrs
04-25-2005, 10:07 PM
LOL, a discussion I have been part of many times! Ok, so the general post are saying that a rapper isnt a musician? I consider that somewhat harsh. You dont hear people bashing madonna or cher because they hold a guitar in their performances. They are vocalist. So if Barry White wasnt a real musician and more of a poet because he didnt write all of his instrumentals, so be it.

But dont sleep on rap! In chucks example, he said ask your average 'rap artist x' to basically get into the guts of musical composition. I know of a lot of people and bands who dont know how to read sheet music, so they wouldnt know if something was a half step sharp or flat either!

And then if you ask groups like the roots who have a live band, or rappers/producers like rza, then they would know exactly what you are talking about! Dont base your opinion on hip hop on whats on TV! A lot of people arent informed about groups like that! The rapper is the vocalist. Usually the tracks are produced. So if someone plays piano, are they not a musician? A lot of teh time, a keyboard loaded up with a different instrument in order to create a beat. LOL, you might hear samples in a lot of songs, but the rest of that beat has to come from somewhere! So is the piano a lesser instrument than a guitar, bass, or drum set? You guys should sit in a hip hop studio, a lot of people actually create music, the main thing a lot of people focus on is that they may hear a handful of words taken from a themesong from an 70s movie.

Now the big thing Ive got with the DJ part of the discussion. A lot of people are ragging on teh CD DJ. LOL, DJing on CD is not as easy as people who DJ vinyl make it out to be. You still gotta beat match, you still have to adjust pitch, you still have to know where/how to cue, etc. I think its just an old head thing vs new heads. I went to Athens with my boy Meatball and he DJs with Pioneer CDJs, and the resident DJ uses Technics. Well we get there and I guess the dude assumed since he was a CD DJ all he did was rush a track at the end and slide the fader and thats it. My boy Meatball is NICE, and his sets were just as good, if not better, than the resident DJ on Vinyl. Was it because the CD tables did the work? Hell no, its because he knows how to DJ.

I dont know where it came that people think CD DJing is easy and the CD players mix the songs for you. You have a platter, pitch fader, and you can usually set up your cues and loops digitally. Wow, digital loops and cues. Yea, it makes it easier to find a cue on the fly, but it doesnt make you less of a DJ when you are beat matching two songs to make them overlap each other a good 40 seconds. Basically the CD turntables build in what you would find in a highend mixer. Then the convienance of carrying 30 crates of 8 CD cases? If it were that easy, a lot of ATL DJs i know that suck would be good when they sat behind some CDJs!

The same gripe vinyl DJs have are the same things that CD DJs say about the PC DJ crowd. Now that crowd is what people should be moaning about. You choose 2 songs, a cue, and it mixes for you.

chuck
04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
true....i get what you are saying franky p
not all rock, rap, county, hip hop, techno, punk, pop (you get the idea) performers or musicians, they are all performers and artists but only a small percentage in each genre are really considered musicians....go back a couple decades and its a whole different story.

Brandon C
04-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Yet Agian I know what your Talking about FRKN but just cause somebody who presses start and stop on a cd player does not make them a DJ. I agree I have used CDJ's before and it is actually rather more diffucult to bring an intense set for me on those as it is more diffucult to play on for me. But there are more and more act's/DJ's touring w/ masters on cd rather than on DUBPLATES due to the accesability of CDJ's.

4dmin
04-26-2005, 08:10 AM
LOL, a discussion I have been part of many times! Ok, so the general post are saying that a rapper isnt a musician? I consider that somewhat harsh. You dont hear people bashing madonna or cher because they hold a guitar in their performances. They are vocalist. So if Barry White wasnt a real musician and more of a poet because he didnt write all of his instrumentals, so be it.

But dont sleep on rap! In chucks example, he said ask your average 'rap artist x' to basically get into the guts of musical composition. I know of a lot of people and bands who dont know how to read sheet music, so they wouldnt know if something was a half step sharp or flat either!

And then if you ask groups like the roots who have a live band, or rappers/producers like rza, then they would know exactly what you are talking about! Dont base your opinion on hip hop on whats on TV! A lot of people arent informed about groups like that! The rapper is the vocalist. Usually the tracks are produced. So if someone plays piano, are they not a musician? A lot of teh time, a keyboard loaded up with a different instrument in order to create a beat. LOL, you might hear samples in a lot of songs, but the rest of that beat has to come from somewhere! So is the piano a lesser instrument than a guitar, bass, or drum set? You guys should sit in a hip hop studio, a lot of people actually create music, the main thing a lot of people focus on is that they may hear a handful of words taken from a themesong from an 70s movie.

Your taking the words out of context.

mu·si·cian ( P ) Pronunciation Key (my-zshn)
n.
One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music.
This would include all physical playing musicians and vocalist. Madonna/Cher both play guitar so they would be considered musicians; they don't just hold them on stage. Isn't barry white a R&B singer??? i didn't know he rapped.

What does reading sheet music have to do w/ being a musician? Most self taught musicians can't read music; but that doesn't mean they can't tune/play their instrument. Some of the greatest musicians alive have been self taught. Yanni perhaps, musically is one of the most profound musicians to date yet he doesn't know how to read music; and he plays w/ a full orchestra live. Josh Groven is another prime example he was just a standing in at the right place at the right time now he has one of the most powerful voices on the planet.

it is a general statement, if you took the average rap/pop artist and asked them to sing/play an instrument could they do it??? I know the average rock/country star could. It easy to find out whether they play an instrument or not, look in the cd booklet or play the cd, most rap i've heard is nothing more than drum machines and sampling, so that doesn't constitute a musician to me considering a 2 year old can push buttons on a machine.

uncle_el
04-26-2005, 08:53 AM
This would include all physical playing musicians and vocalist. Madonna/Cher both play guitar so they would be considered musicians; they don't just hold them on stage. Isn't barry white a R&B singer??? i didn't know he rapped.

i think fnk's point about barry white was sort of a tongue in cheek comment, seeing as how barry white wrote the music for the orchestra with which he performed in the 70s.

it is a general statement, if you took the average rap/pop artist and asked them to sing/play an instrument could they do it??? I know the average rock/country star could. It easy to find out whether they play an instrument or not, look in the cd booklet or play the cd, most rap i've heard is nothing more than drum machines and sampling, so that doesn't constitute a musician to me considering a 2 year old can push buttons on a machine.

again, it's much more than just pushing a button. it's more than just taking a beat/sample from a previous song, recording it, and then pressing play. that's sort of like saying a 2 year old can pick up a guitar and pluck some strings, and that makes him/her a guitar player.

bicsintegra
04-26-2005, 09:30 AM
correct me if i am wrong but isn't a musician a person who plays a musical instrument? alicia keys is a musician.writer.singer, while ashanti is a singer/writer. not many dj's actually know how to play an instrument although there are a few. rappers are defintely not musicians unless they can play an instrument and there might actually be some. just my 2 cents.

chuck
04-26-2005, 12:35 PM
i guess it boils down to the issue of a turn table being an instrument then...

and after thinking it over a little bit i'll revoke my previous comment and say that anyone who plays an instrument is a musician, some are just more talented than others...who can argue with that???

4dmin
04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
again, it's much more than just pushing a button. it's more than just taking a beat/sample from a previous song, recording it, and then pressing play. that's sort of like saying a 2 year old can pick up a guitar and pluck some strings, and that makes him/her a guitar player.no rap music is much easier to make then your making it out to be... i'm a musician i can play guitar/bass/drums/etc... and making rap music is really easy, it can be duplicated w/ a drum machine/sampler/synth/etc... it doesn't take much talent to push a button. if it did there would be kids going to school to learn how to use a drum machine. the only thing that requires talent is the words.

uncle_el
04-26-2005, 04:46 PM
no rap music is much easier to make then your making it out to be... i'm a musician i can play guitar/bass/drums/etc... and making rap music is really easy, it can be duplicated w/ a drum machine/sampler/synth/etc... it doesn't take much talent to push a button. if it did there would be kids going to school to learn how to use a drum machine. the only thing that requires talent is the words.

i can play the piano... so i guess i'm a musician too... ?!

every sound other than vocal's on outkast's "aquemini" album was made with a sythesizer. if you've ever heard the entire album, i would think it would be clear that there is a difference between simply using a synthesizer/drum machine/sampler to produce sound and using a synthesizer/drum machine/sampler to produce music.

roger & zapp in the late 70s/early 80s used primarily synthesizers for their music.

michael jackson's "off the wall" album and "thriller" albums (both produced by quincy jones) featured a synthesizer all over the album.

simply pressing a button and duplicating a sound isn't all that it takes to make music, whether it's rap, funk, r & b, or any other genre. if that's the case, then plucking strings on a guitar or just picking up a set of drum sticks and banging on drums would be considered making music. i think the both of us would agree that either of those cases would not be making music, it would just be making a ruckus.

if one doesn't know rhythm, tempo, cadence, etc. one won't be making music with a drum machine/sampler/synthesizer.

quickdodge®
04-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Isn't barry white a R&B singer???

No. Barry White was an R&B singer. Later, QD.

uncle_el
04-26-2005, 05:31 PM
No. Barry White was an R&B singer. Later, QD.
lol. he could be singing in heaven... or hell... or purgatory...

4dmin
04-26-2005, 05:47 PM
i can play the piano... so i guess i'm a musician too... ?!

every sound other than vocal's on outkast's "aquemini" album was made with a sythesizer. if you've ever heard the entire album, i would think it would be clear that there is a difference between simply using a synthesizer/drum machine/sampler to produce sound and using a synthesizer/drum machine/sampler to produce music.

roger & zapp in the late 70s/early 80s used primarily synthesizers for their music.

michael jackson's "off the wall" album and "thriller" albums (both produced by quincy jones) featured a synthesizer all over the album.

simply pressing a button and duplicating a sound isn't all that it takes to make music, whether it's rap, funk, r & b, or any other genre. if that's the case, then plucking strings on a guitar or just picking up a set of drum sticks and banging on drums would be considered making music. i think the both of us would agree that either of those cases would not be making music, it would just be making a ruckus.

if one doesn't know rhythm, tempo, cadence, etc. one won't be making music with a drum machine/sampler/synthesizer.
if you can play piano then yes you are a musician... if you can only play chopsticks or jingle bells i'm not sure if that counts ;)

there is a difference in producing sound/music. like i said earlier most rap albums i've heard can be easily reproduced, its the same constant beat/tempo throught the song, changing up verse/chorus/bridge... its not like they used an electronic drum kit to produce the sound making someone play the entire track. its like pop artist who lipsynch live, they are playing to prerecorded music.

perfect example: In Da Club: 50cent

what do you call that? there is like 5 sound bits repeated throughout the track.

now good example: Bombs Over Baghdad: Outkast

the beats not only contain fills, synths, guitar solos, sound bits/samples... that to me is music, musically its a well put together compilation

its not what they use to produce the sound but the lack of musical talent to make the music. i can make rap albums at home on my pc w/ an internet connection no need for a single instrument. does that make me a musician?

Brandon C
04-26-2005, 05:53 PM
I am so Glad Yall aint pickin on DJ's No More..

4dmin
04-26-2005, 05:58 PM
I am so Glad Yall aint pickin on DJ's No More..i got respect for ya... shit i grew up w/ DJs and breakers in the 80s, my parents used to run skating rinks in the 80-90s, that shit was super hot back in the day where you threw down some cardboard or linolium to dance on :goodjob:

FrnkPwrs
04-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Yet Agian I know what your Talking about FRKN but just cause somebody who presses start and stop on a cd player does not make them a DJ. I agree I have used CDJ's before and it is actually rather more diffucult to bring an intense set for me on those as it is more diffucult to play on for me. But there are more and more act's/DJ's touring w/ masters on cd rather than on DUBPLATES due to the accesability of CDJ's.

Ok, I see what your talking abotu and i agree 150%. There are so many people out there who are "faking". Because you buy turntables and a mixer doesnt make you a dj. Oh my god there are so many people in atl that need to learn that lesson. there are so many "djs" out there who will take song a, wait until the hook, then slide the fader over and play song b. Or the will try to mix, the beats are all off, either spin the platter really fast or run an effect to cover up the chaos. That is NOT DJing. I know some big namew club and radio djs who have careers based on that bullshit

FrnkPwrs
04-26-2005, 07:38 PM
i can make rap albums at home on my pc w/ an internet connection no need for a single instrument. does that make me a musician?

I see where you are coming from, but i think the topic has more to it. I get into convo a lot when people try to say that rap isnt music or that it requires no musical talent to be rapper.

The example about going home and pressing buttons. IF you search some ACID or Fruity Loop forums and communities online, you will find lots of people who have made rap or hip hop beats. Yea, you can buy software or a digital sequencer and make a rap beat, and its easier for some than it is for others. But guess what?

i can make rap albums at home on my pc w/ an internet connection no need for a single instrument

a]i can make hard rock albums at home on my pc w/ an internet connection no need for a single instrument
b]i can make salsa , merengue, bachata albums at home on my pc w/ an internet connection no need for a single instrument
c]i can make classical albums at home on my pc w/ an internet connection no need for a single instrument
d]i can make electronic albums at home on my pc w/ an internet connection no need for a single instrument

Believe it or not, it does take some sort of skill to make a rap album. I think people are overlooking where I keep saying, not every rap group or rap song is done digitally. There are people who can manipulate 2 spoons and make good sounding music, so how is that different than a guitar? And in order to make these tracks, you must have an understanding of things like pitch and tempo, but you also must figure out a way for all of the instruments to sound good with each other, just the same as Trent Reznor would create music with his band.

there is a difference in producing sound/music. like i said earlier most rap albums i've heard can be easily reproduced, its the same constant beat/tempo throught the song, changing up verse/chorus/bridge...

Is that how all music with vocals is? I mean, every measure in a rock song isnt different. Usually when the lead singer is doing his/her thing, its the same beat, then when you have a chorus, it switches up, and you might have a breakdown or instrument solo, and then it happens again. I spin for fun, and i wish DJing hip hop was the same tempo and beat through each song, then I would be in the club instead of busting my ass trying to find people who actually know how to mix. Listen "In the Club", since that was your example. Play it through a mixer, pc, anything that counts beats. Watch how the BPM isnt the same at the beginning as it is in the end.

its not like they used an electronic drum kit to produce the sound making someone play the entire track.
LOL, and why isnt it like that? Majority of the studios Ive been in have electronic drum kits. Ive been everywhere from Patchwork to Bonecrushers Studio on pleasant hill.

now good example: Bombs Over Baghdad: Outkast

the beats not only contain fills, synths, guitar solos, sound bits/samples... that to me is music, musically its a well put together compilation

Per your definition, Outkast isnt a grp of musicians. That entire track can be reproduced on a home pc. It fits your definition of a good compilation, but I think the only live instrument was the guitar. I gotta find the CD and check the notes. But if thats the deal, Rick Ruben only has the guitar as a live instrment on 99 problems, so is he a real musician with the simple ass beat that was on there?

I think your thing is really towards the producers instead of the actual rappers. I dont see what the problem is. A large majority programs people use to make music require some sort of knowledge of how to play piano. So its not the "press a few buttons" that people make it out to be. So if I compose an entire song on a keyboard, and load french horns, trumpets, drums, flutes, and violins into it to make a song, am i not a musician? Its meeting the definition that you posted. So looks at it as the producer is the band, the rapper is the vocalist

FrnkPwrs
04-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Oh, and if there is something wrong with things have the same beat and tempo throughout a song, listen to some latin music. Salsa typically all has the same beat. Bachata typically has all the same beat. Merengue typically all has the same beat. But there is a thin amount that is not played by live band. If the difference in "In the CLub" and "Intantalo Tu" is the amount of instruments, when has the number of people you have in the grp been a factor in how good you sound? Especially when a lot of rock groups only have 3 members?

quickdodge®
04-26-2005, 08:18 PM
that shit was super hot back in the day where you threw down some cardboard or linolium to dance on :goodjob:

What the fuck you know about breakdancing, homie? Lolol. Later, QD.

Brandon C
04-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Alright Thats It I putting a 10 x 10 Pad of Linolium down at the Rons Auto Sales Booth for a mean B boy contest...at Tuner Fest

4dmin
04-27-2005, 08:55 AM
frnk you missing the point its not what the music is but how was it created... if you take a rock song it normally does have the same beat/fills mixed up through the verse/chorus but it is normally music that is played by a musician of some sort. you take the majority of rap songs and it is beats play through a drum machine etc... that take nothing more than pressing a button while the track loops itself.

i gave you two good examples of tracks, you can tell a distinct difference in the two if you listen to them. even the outkast track using some sort of a drum machine, but you can tell they have enough sense to know what fills our.

i don't know your musicial background but i've seen and done quite a bit in mine... i used to book hardcore/punk shows here in atlanta and have been to more shows than probably anyone on this board.

I think your thing is really towards the producers instead of the actual rappers. I dont see what the problem is. A large majority programs people use to make music require some sort of knowledge of how to play piano. So its not the "press a few buttons" that people make it out to be. So if I compose an entire song on a keyboard, and load french horns, trumpets, drums, flutes, and violins into it to make a song, am i not a musician? Its meeting the definition that you posted. So looks at it as the producer is the band, the rapper is the vocalistby that statement you saying that rappers don't create the music its the producer. ok then how are they musicians if they have no hand in the musics creation???

4dmin
04-27-2005, 09:31 AM
this is for all of you.... i know for damn sure this isn't how most rap artist create their tracks \/

http://www3.goyk.com/dontsteal/videos/keyboard_rock.wmv

now he is a musician! :goodjob:

Brandon C
04-27-2005, 10:01 AM
THat IS ROCK AND ROLL dont you know..

Thats awsome Paul

uncle_el
04-27-2005, 06:20 PM
if you can play piano then yes you are a musician... if you can only play chopsticks or jingle bells i'm not sure if that counts ;)

lol. i can play more than chopsticks... i think!

this is for all of you.... i know for damn sure this isn't how most rap artist create their tracks \/

nice.

do i think that all rap artists create music like that... no. do some, i think so, especially the rap artists/producers who span genres like pharrell williams (half of neptunes), kanye west (in front of the mic, producer behind the mic, songwriter), rza (hell, he did the score for kill bill), ?uestlove and the roots band, etc.

you're musically inclined, and to a certain degree, musically connected. but for those that aren't, i really feel like many people think it's as simple as pushing a button, when it's not.

can you use a home pc to create music. sure, my ex-roommate did. hell, even quit medical school to pursue it (but that's another topic for another day). but he also incorporated live instruments (guitar, saxophone) to record chords, to then use in his rap cd's.

FrnkPwrs
04-27-2005, 09:53 PM
I feel what you are saying exactly. I hate how this is always a topic just for rap music. See the thing about rap music is that its really more about the lyrics than the beat, and thats something many dont advertise, and you dont hear on mainstream radio. TO me, the beat isnt as important as what people ahve to say. A lot of people who listen to rap music repeat the lyrics, not hum the beat.

I understand what your saying and what your trying to do, but realize its two different genres of music. I have always respected someone who used a live band, and I, just like you have probally been to more shows than the average person. I go to an average of 3 concerts a week, and cant help but have that appreciation. The other side of the coin is that the same way that you talk about the beats in rap, i can talk about the lyrical complexity of vocalist in rock groups. I can say that it doesnt take much talent to yell at the top of your lungs, talk in a deep and distorted voice about corpses rotting on the ground, and saying a bunch of words that mean nothing because it sounds "punk".

Ok, a rapper isnt a musician, hes doesnt play any instruments. BUt think about it like this, because you play an instrment doesnt mean that your create good music. I think a rapper is a musician because they play an essential part in the creation of a song, delivering vocals and songwriting. I play a few instruments, and I understand someone who has the callases from playing guitar being upset someone went multiplatinum on simple beats, but like i said, different genre of music, and the rapper isnt usually who created the track. I dont think rap is an inferior form of music becuase the rapper didnt make the beat.

4dmin
04-28-2005, 07:51 AM
the beat isnt as important as what people ahve to say
i totally agree but now a days people just want to sell records not voice their opinions on politics

because you play an instrment doesnt mean that your create good music. i agree to an extent... i don't neccessarily enjoy rap/country but its music, you probably don't enjoy hxc/punk/metal but its music.

I understand someone who has the callases from playing guitar being upset someone went multiplatinum on simple beatsi think real music is the expressions of the artist not to sell records. the mighty $$$ is what kills music. but then again its america and $$$ rules the world if i could make a platinum record w/ the over use of 40s, bitches, 9mm, & 'niggas' i would do the same. nothing but respect you have to b/c its a fierce game (music industry) and to make it you have to supply the demand or create a crowd.

good example would be marilyn mason. i used to love that band long before they were the crazy makeup/cross dressing band; when they were a little industrial band from florida. but hey they came up w/ a product no one else had, which has now taken him to the top including producing scores for movies.

Hulud
04-28-2005, 08:22 AM
i agree to an extent... i don't neccessarily enjoy rap/country but its music, you probably don't enjoy hxc/punk/metal but its music.

agree totally

Hulud
04-28-2005, 08:26 AM

man the japanese have always known how to make thing better and smaller. just llok at the size of his drumset there...lol

Speedm0(\)key
04-30-2005, 01:24 AM
a musician is a human swiss army knife, unfortunately not many of those can be found in the hip hop world... so as far as mainstream rap bullshit no.. they are all wastes of oxygen...

a true musician doesnt have to dress/play a role... his points are passed thru his music.. and he has no need to explain himself in interviews or do retarded shit for example: eminem to get attention.

quickdodge®
04-30-2005, 05:28 AM
WOW! I agree with you completely. Later, QD.

chuck
04-30-2005, 02:31 PM
interesting, well kind of interesting, article i found...kinda ties in with the topic a little bit... http://thedilly.com/view.article.wtd?id=607

ShooterMcGavin
05-27-2008, 09:19 AM
rappers are def musicians, almost all of them study music at some point in their lives and many make their own beats, write their own lyrics, etc etc.

Sammich
05-27-2008, 09:21 AM
epic resurrected thread is epic

DieselNuts
05-27-2008, 09:21 AM
This is a funny topic, b/c i think there is a fine line between musician/poet/entertainer. Personally i think DJs are entertainers but not musicians; unless they are actually scratching records, buidling remixes, & mixing tracks. A dj using that digital cd scratch pad doesn't count for me to call them a musician. As far as rappers i would say the general rap artist is more of a poet then anything else. Not many rappers write the music they rap to its digital samples or beats from a drum machine. So what do you think?
I voted no but I feel the same way about DJs as you.

JITB
05-27-2008, 04:11 PM
back when ia had actual discussions!

Dirty Octopus™
05-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm a Musician :dunno:

4dmin
05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
dayum back from the dead yo!