PDA

View Full Version : Year One Experience this past weekend (Road Atlanta)

SilviaK93
04-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Well I had fun this past weekend. My dad told me about some car show that they were having at Road Atlanta and I was blah until he said they were holding a track event at the same time........YEAH!!! Went on Saturday about noon and had a blast. They were not holding the actual "track event" that day but were doing parade laps around the track. Sounded boring when the guy told me but it was such a nice day and lots of fast cars, some slow ridiculous cars too, so we made it interesting! It was three laps for $15 with a pace car, and no passing allowed anywhere. Depending on the group you went out with determined your speed for the most part. I did a total of 7 different outings, and it was $15 a pop, BUTTTT the girl collecting the money liked my car so she let me go for free everytime after the first. hehehe

I got in some pretty fast groups with a Porshe Turbo, Camaro's, and mustangs. One of the Mustags kept trying to mess with me in the turns which he had no chance there, and then tried to show me out in the back straight from turn 7 to 10a............hahahahaha he had a rude awakening. I was walking his $hit everytime. In another session he was in front of me and tried the same thing, but I was all in his a$$ and had to pull out as if I was going to pass him, but didnt of course.

Sunday I went again but the parade laps sucked as it was cold and less cars, so the pace cars did not push as hard at all. I did however participate in the autocross event. THAT WAS A BLAST!!!!!!! Never did one of those courses before, let alone in this car. I just put the BRGoodrich KDW 2's on the rear Friday, and have new Supercar F1's in the front. My first time out netted a high 28.XX. I came back and they gave me a few pointers as to what I was doing wrong. I went out again and got a 28.4. Not much faster but an improvment. My brother wanted to ride so we went out and I broke into the 27.84 with him in the car. We went out again and I really pushed it trying to get under a 27.5 at least. This time on the back hard curve it broke loose and I thought I was going off the track for a second but I was able to recover and netted a 27.2. I wanted a 26 so I went out again solo and netted a best of 26.84! Not bad considering my first event, and I showed consistent improvement each time out. There was another Z there on Kumho victoracers (315/17's) and he does many events and was in the 25's. I was 1.0"-1.5" slower on street tires and no experience on an autocross track. The instructor was impressed!!!

I think I like this autocross stuff..............mannnnn it is hard on some tires. All four tires have melted chunks of rubber all over te tires. I was really happy with the car, but I could feel it pushing the front tires alot. Once these are worn out I will use the BFG all the way around.

Allstar3.8T
04-25-2005, 10:29 AM
I wish I saw you there Marshall, its been a while. I enjoyed the 0-60-0 challenge as well, those guys were killin thier cars.
the Hot Laps were fun depending on your group and the pace driver. I got some good speeds through the esses when I laid back...(come out of them on the gas at 80 MPH) and 110 on the back straight...fast to be paced...but not all out all the way around.

SilviaK93
04-25-2005, 04:48 PM
I thought I saw your car there. It would have been good talking to you; it has been some time. I was thinking about doing the 0-60-0, but I wasnt sure how the tires would work on Saturday as I just put them on on Friday. They would have worked real well after my autocross sessions as all four tires were spitting warm melted rubber everywhere, they stick pretty nicely.

Yeah the hot laps did vary. I was able to hit 130-140 on some outings if the right cars were grouped together.

Jaimecbr900
04-25-2005, 10:28 PM
I have tons of good pics that I'll post up tomm. It was a good event. I went to the Road Atlanta side.