PDA

View Full Version : GM offers workers $140k to leave..

tony
03-22-2006, 02:25 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/22/news/companies/gm_delphi/index.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - General Motors is offering hourly workers as much as $140,000 each to leave the company as the troubled automaker extends its push to cut labor costs and put an end to billions of dollars in losses.

GM (Research) announced an agreement with the United Auto Workers union Wednesday, although it did not give the details of the offer extended to all 113,000 U.S. hourly employees.
But a person familiar with terms of the offer said that UAW members with 10 years or more service with the automaker will get $140,000 if they agree to forsake the retiree health care coverage that has become a crippling burden for GM. The workers will keep their accrued pension benefits, though.

Those with less than 10 years service will get $70,000 if they leave without the health care coverage.

The company also announced a much anticipated agreement Wednesday with bankrupt auto parts maker Delphi and the UAW that is seen as a key to avoiding a crippling strike at the parts supplier. GM said hourly employees eligible for retirement are being offered $35,000 to retire early.

GM also will offer Delphi employees with 30 years of service the same $35,000 to retire. And GM is also offering jobs at GM to 5,000 Delphi employees as a way to help its former parts unit cut costs.

GM lost $10.6 billion in 2005 and its executives have not said when they expect it to return to profitability. They have said the agreement with Delphi as well as an agreement with the UAW to cut its own labor costs were keys to return to the black.

Shares of GM rose about 1 percent in afternoon trading, but some industry analysts said GM's moves were not enough to change their view of the stock.

If Bellsouth offered me even $40k to leave right now I wouldn't think twice, although the government would take half of it.

dereksi
03-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Id take the 140k with a smile.

Nemesis
03-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Man I hope I dont lose my job at Bell :(

CopyRight
03-22-2006, 03:15 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/22/news/companies/gm_delphi/index.htm?cnn=yes

If Bellsouth offered me even $40k to leave right now I wouldn't think twice, although the government would take half of it.

I had a buddy who worked for Bellsouth and they offered him some crazy amount to leave, and I'm pretty sure he took it. He's been with Bellsouth for about 10yrs....he was the guy who drove the truck!

RISKYB
03-22-2006, 03:45 PM
I would be gone, chaching

tony
03-22-2006, 03:49 PM
I had a buddy who worked for Bellsouth and they offered him some crazy amount to leave, and I'm pretty sure he took it. He's been with Bellsouth for about 10yrs....he was the guy who drove the truck!

Really? I drive the truck too.. although you cannot tell as much as I'm on IA. I'll give it a year to see if they offer anything otherwise I'll be resigning early next year.

CopyRight
03-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Really? I drive the truck too.. although you cannot tell as much as I'm on IA. I'll give it a year to see if they offer anything otherwise I'll be resigning early next year.

hmm, that's weird...how long have you been with them? He called me up a year ago and was like "holy shit! I just got offered a shit load of money to quit my job!" from what I remeber it was a pretty big chunk of change. Not 140k, but it was damn good for saying adios to the job.

civic95
03-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Tough call, after taxes thats like $70K. I'd imagine the average wage is $50K+, so thats 1 yr salary or a little more. If I knew i could find a job making the same amount of money quickly I would take it. But if I knew I would have to take a $10K or more paycut I would have to really think about it.

HeLLo iM iZzY
03-22-2006, 11:25 PM
taxes would eat that $140k up..

babowc
03-22-2006, 11:58 PM
for retired people.. health care coverage would be a plus..
assuming people are retiring at the average.. i think is like at the age of 55 or 60.
old people need health care cov., its something thats a necessity.. imo