PDA

View Full Version : Were your parents supportive..

tony
03-22-2006, 09:25 AM
of your sports activities?

I saw this on another forum but it got me to thinking since I have a son that is hitting that age. My parents were too busy arguing with each other for me to play sports or attend practices, I started playing basketball when I was 13 but they didnt come to many of the games. Now having a son I want to be that parent that is there for every game without pushing him too hard.

thinkfast®
03-22-2006, 09:30 AM
DONT HIT YOUR WIFE

Brett
03-22-2006, 09:35 AM
DONT HIT YOUR WIFE

But do make her make Ricky a Roast Beef Sandwich

RUSH
03-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Mine are supportive at whatever I do!

Bishop
03-22-2006, 09:37 AM
yeah, if it wasnt for them i wouldnt have played baseball, basketball, soccer, field hockey, football, swimming...there's probably more im missing.... But when i got older and had my own interests in sports i started skateboarding, inline skating, (i hate to use this word cause its cheesy) extreme mountain biking, paintball, bmx...probably missed a few....but they were very supportive of all my choices. Even after i broke many bones skating and biking, they wouldnt ask me to stop or anything, just to be more careful.

{X}Echo419
03-22-2006, 09:38 AM
of your sports activities?

I saw this on another forum but it got me to thinking since I have a son that is hitting that age. My parents were too busy arguing with each other for me to play sports or attend practices, I started playing basketball when I was 13 but they didnt come to many of the games. Now having a son I want to be that parent that is there for every game without pushing him too hard.

yeah mine supported me. they just did their arguing at the ballpark :cool:

Ran
03-22-2006, 09:40 AM
My parents always supported my activities until I got into drifting. Now they're constantly trying to get me to stop spending money on the car. Oh well...

:D

Leisa
03-22-2006, 09:45 AM
My parents were always arguing, my dad always cheated on my mom.. once they split she had to work 2 jobs... the only thing I did was cheered... my sister played softball, and my brother played football.. but our friends always made sure we got to where we had to go

mp5o
03-22-2006, 09:47 AM
In one word... No.

But did I participate anyways? Yes.

Wasnt her fault though... We were broke and she was always workin.

Jimmy B
03-22-2006, 09:52 AM
yep, my dad is still the/my coach

Ran
03-22-2006, 09:53 AM
My parents were always arguing, my dad always cheated on my mom.. once they split she had to work 2 jobs... the only thing I did was cheered... my sister played softball, and my brother played football.. but our friends always made sure we got to where we had to go
Friends kick @ss. Nice to hear you had some that were helpful. :)

The Golden Child
03-22-2006, 09:57 AM
my parents were always working ..
i did things on my own since i was 10 ..
im sure they were supportive on my decisions ..

Scrappy
03-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Not 100% supportive, but played it off very well that she was excited for me... when it became wakeboarding... i think she only enjoyed the fact that she can try and pick up guys while i am out on the water... but that has made me who I am... very independent. :)

kilpatty43
03-22-2006, 10:05 AM
my mom was all for it...she liked that we wanted to be active, etc...my dad on the other hand felt that us girls shouldnt play sports bc its not lady like...he only supported my bro playing which didnt last long in any sport...kristi and i played soccer for about 9 years before i had to quit due to knee injuries...im glad my mom let us play...i think its good for kids...

thinkfast®
03-22-2006, 10:24 AM
FEMALES BELONG IN THE KITCHEN

right brett?

Bajjani
03-22-2006, 10:26 AM
my mom was real supportive..my dad was when he was there. He traveled a lot so he couldn't go to a lot of the games and my mom would always drop me off at practice and went to most of my games. They also sent me overseas for tournaments and such as well so they help'd me do a lot more than most had the chance to so i was very blessed

speedminded
03-22-2006, 10:27 AM
They were supportive for local teams but not with the offers I had to play classic, indoor, and junior national league soccer which all would require quite a bit of driving several days a week and I didn't have any other teammates to get invited so commuting and taking turns was out of the question. Then they didn't exactly believe my knees were f'd up and felt like they did for years until I was a freshman and my HS coach finally convinced them to take me to an orthopaedic surgeon who immediately put me in for $8k in surgery...I have a condition that's seen once every two years or so.

Sooo after getting an offer from Clemson as a freshman to keep a B average the next season and i'll be playing for them my junior and senior year of HS i was told i could never play again unless i wanted full knee replacements before i was 25 or 30. Wish i had just played now, prolly be making decent money on a US or European team doing nothing but touring the world for a few years after college then start some sort of business with all the money saved up, oh well :-/

tony
03-22-2006, 10:31 AM
My parents always supported my activities until I got into drifting. Now they're constantly trying to get me to stop spending money on the car. Oh well...

:D

lol Mine are the exact opposite, when I started getting into going to the track and modifying my car at first were hesitant but eventually they got all into it. My dad actually flew down from Alaska to see my car at nopi and my mom came the day afterward which meant a LOT.. one of the few good memories of participating. When I sold the car in december you would have thought I was putting their grandson up for adoption.

The Golden Child
03-22-2006, 10:56 AM
FEMALES BELONG IN THE KITCHEN

right brett?

hahahaha ..

RandomGuy
03-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Naturally mothers care for the health of hte kid. I played football and she still worried, even tho im a big dude i cant really get hurt. It may be akward for like a month or two, but then its smooth sailing i guess?
My dad has always been supportive of anything dangerous i've ever did that he knows about... He tells me MAD stories about the shit they did overseas... To him all the American sports are watered down or "pussy" versions of their shit... they had some dangerousss ass games... let me think of some...
even a seemily pussy game like cricket is MAD dangerous.... Field hockey over there, is like rugby and ice hockey mixed together, without pads... like mofos breakin bones on the regular.

So anyways u dont really have to be worried... Can't really get hurt this day and age... and if he does... nothing that modern medicine cant fix ;)

speedminded
03-22-2006, 11:42 AM
My dad has always been supportive of anything dangerous i've ever did that he knows about... He tells me MAD stories about the shit they did overseas... To him all the American sports are watered down or "pussy" versions of their shit... they had some dangerousss ass games... let me think of some...
even a seemily pussy game like cricket is MAD dangerous.... Field hockey over there, is like rugby and ice hockey mixed together, without pads... like mofos breakin bones on the regular.

So anyways u dont really have to be worried... Can't really get hurt this day and age... and if he does... nothing that modern medicine cant fix ;)Damn straight, our football after the 70's turned shitty...sometimes wish i got to be there but i've seen enough video's and heard enough stories about people continue to play with broken limbs, now we whine about a finger being hurt...wrap that shit up, get back out there, and deal with it later....but that was back when you could stick an arm out under the helmet and clothesline the shit out of them.

I still thing it's the pads and helmet that hurt people the most...rugby isn't that bad and a whole lot less boring.

FDslider
03-22-2006, 12:07 PM
My parents used to fight ALL the time. My mother is Bi-polar and my dad has a really bad temper and has the nerve to fight with my mother. They would drop me off at baseball games until the fighting got much worse (when I started middle school). Sports was the last thing on my mind. My mother's well-being was my only concern until 7th grade.

I got the chance to wrestle, and it indeed worked to get my frustrations out. For 7th, 8th, and 9th grade, I did pretty damn good. Hurt a lot of those fuckers, even broke this one guys' arm for "checking my oil". It's a legal move, but only the gay-ass cheaters use it, so I intentionally broke his fucking arm, got disqualified and banned from GA wrestling. End of my sports career.

speedminded
03-22-2006, 01:19 PM
I got the chance to wrestle, and it indeed worked to get my frustrations out. For 7th, 8th, and 9th grade, I did pretty damn good. Hurt a lot of those fuckers, even broke this one guys' arm for "checking my oil". It's a legal move, but only the gay-ass cheaters use it, so I intentionally broke his fucking arm, got disqualified and banned from GA wrestling. End of my sports career.I never understand why that's always been legal...if someone stuck their thumb up my ass it would turn into a Mui Thai fight real quick, no holds barred.

RandomGuy
03-22-2006, 01:22 PM
I never understand why that's always been legal...if someone stuck their thumb up my ass it would turn into a Mui Thai fight real quick, no holds barred.
WTF?!?!?!

checking oil = thumbin ass? WTF WTF

buddha@TeamFX
03-22-2006, 01:31 PM
I played baseball for 6 years or so and my parents were always supportive as my dad always played sports...then once I grad. I got into Co-Ed Softball they were supportive of that...And they've always supported the car habit...We are a father son duo on that end LOL!!

thinkfast®
03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
you mean father/daughter duo?

sorry to break it to ya btu no guys play softball. man up puto

buddha@TeamFX
03-22-2006, 01:39 PM
you mean father/daughter duo?

sorry to break it to ya btu no guys play softball. man up puto

^^Suck a dick dude...keep driving pussy imports LOL!!..Nah I did the co ed softball as a favor to a buddy that needed a player..it was fun and I met some great ppl in doing it!

buddha@TeamFX
03-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Excuse me I see it sais you drive a 64...you have my respect then as long as its a bowtie!...I about bought one of those cars at one point and time!

thinkfast®
03-22-2006, 01:41 PM
imports? man wtf, on any day I drive a v8 Lincoln, or a v8 2 tone Chevy wit the paint drippin… TRY AGAIN MIGHTY CONE!!!

yea use the friends excuse, what a way to meet friends, and butch females that will whip your ass HAHAHAHARDY HAR HAR

thinkfast®
03-22-2006, 01:42 PM
HAHA well said, well said homey..

I'll have pics up pretty soon, probly on Sunday after the BBQ

check me out in the Pics section later :D

babygurl
03-22-2006, 01:42 PM
My parents were really supportive of us playing sports. They just wanted us to enjoy ourselves...that is all that matter

I can tell you this, the encouragement from my step father, got one of his sons invited to play for the broncos!

FDslider
03-22-2006, 01:45 PM
I never understand why that's always been legal...if someone stuck their thumb up my ass it would turn into a Mui Thai fight real quick, no holds barred.

Exactly, like I said, only the gay-ass cheaters use that move. And like I said, I broke that fool's arm with ease! In 2 different places, too. Bone came out through the skin, he hit the ground and threw up! Ref jumped on my ass, and that was the end of my succesful wrestling career. I still don't regret it.

NOBODY STICKS THEIR THUMB UP MY ASS W/O GETTING FUCKED UP!

FDslider
03-22-2006, 01:47 PM
WTF?!?!?!

checking oil = thumbin ass? WTF WTF

Yes sir. It is a legal move and is rarely used cuz the recipient normally flips out and goes off on the other person, like I did! He'll never put his thumb there again, I promise.

thinkfast®
03-22-2006, 01:47 PM
well thats good to know man. you take no shit, HAHAHARDY HAR HAR!!

FDslider
03-22-2006, 01:49 PM
well thats good to know man. you take no shit, HAHAHARDY HAR HAR!!

Thanks, I seen your thread about the gas station incident!

+1 for taking no shit!

buddha@TeamFX
03-22-2006, 01:54 PM
I'll do it man..I'll have pics up of my camaro and chevelle soon too the camaro should be outta spray booth this weekend and I'll have the chevelle's motor in a couple weeks...The 64 I looked at was ss 327 blue on blue...I should've had my ass kicked for not buying it!

thinkfast®
03-22-2006, 02:18 PM
HAHA damn man... I had the change to pick up a SS 409 back in the day, 30k original miles....didnt do it, now I'm always pissed off. But I woulda hacked it to shit anyways, back then all I cared about was hoppin and hittin 3's :D

buddha@TeamFX
03-22-2006, 02:30 PM
I hear ya...SS 409...Chevy never made that...they did make small blocks a 265,283,307,327,350,400 and big blocks were 396,402 which was a early 70's big block and is basically a 396 bored .30 over, a 427, 454...that was it in the classic era...just curious where you got 409 from?!!

thinkfast®
03-22-2006, 03:00 PM
http://www.yearone.com/images/parts/da_dd/dc125.jpg
http://www.duderacing.net/409engine.jpg

Impalas were the first to have them I believe (SS) starting in '61, and they were real popular in 62-63, especially with the drag racers... it was an option in any Impala trim, my homey has a 409 '64 SS, hes a white dude though so he dont hop it, but he races every so often, fastest ride I have ever been in... over 1200Hp

hope this helps :D

buddha@TeamFX
03-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks!!...I know exactly what you are talking about now...I have seen a couple of them not that you said turbo fire...rung my mind...Thanks!...

thinkfast®
03-22-2006, 03:22 PM
no doubt man, I am here to help...

I am here to help.

ahmonrah
03-22-2006, 03:37 PM
my folks were always supportive. they did whatever they could to make sure that i had what i needed. and when i played sports. the home/away games, at least one of my parents were there. dad made it to every game, even if it meant him being exhausted at work, working as a cop on third shift sucked. but i'd make it up by being awake so we could talk when he came home for lunch, which was about 3:00 in the morning. so it all worked out.

devinwebb907
03-22-2006, 04:44 PM
they took me to practices and games but they never sat there and watched.