PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods HELP!!!!

2.0civic
03-21-2006, 01:01 PM
I just got a 1990 gst and drove it three hours on the way home. when i came off 285 onto 85 north, the car died out and i restarted it while doing like 55. At this point, i just try to stay in the gas and keep revs up. then, on 85 i got off on the sugarloaf exit to go home, and she died again and this time, wouldnt restart. so i got it towed home. where it sat until the tow truck arrived, there was a small oil circle (about 3" diameter) and my girl said before i exited, she saw blueish smoke...??. anyway, i get it home, and my buddy says he thinks its the fuel pump because its making a weird ass surging sound and he said it the fuel pump clicking.... i went outside to check it out today, and my battery was dead (i left interior light on last night while cleaning it). So...Does anyone know if there is something that might sound liek this and be a easy fix or is it something bad. It never ran hot and held oil pressure the entire way home so i dont think internals are damaged but i cant figure out where the oil came from. Im going to put the battery on charge for a bit but if anyone has any ideas where to start, please, any help is appreciated and sorry for the long reading. Thanks in advance.

Goldollar
03-22-2006, 03:50 AM
MAke sure you have fuel and spark, check for spark first.Then go from there, prob;;y start with a compression check. I wish i could help more but your discreption of the events arent helping me much. But do the fuel/spark test, make sure you havent popped any fuse or relays then let us now from there.

2.0civic
03-22-2006, 11:34 AM
thanks, i checked it yesterday. it is getting spark. when it trys to turn over, you here a surging sound. i checked then oil and it was fine(no milksahake color) and coolant and added half a gallon to the tank. FUCK!! i just bout this shit too. I dont know if this helps but i was coming off 285 onto 85 and went to shift into 4th and it stalled out and i refired it. as long as i kept the revs up it did good which is why im not sure bout the fuel pump it seemed like anytime i got below 2000 rpm it started wanting to die on me.

B16a2 Civic
03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
timing belt maybe?
sounds like some of the same problems i had....did it feel like you lost alot of power after you restarted it?

2.0civic
03-22-2006, 11:38 AM
the old owner said he replaced ALOT of shit on it and from what i can tell, everything that he replaced, has been replaced so he wasnt lying, so idk where to start with this shit

B16a2 Civic
03-22-2006, 11:41 AM
the old owner said he replaced ALOT of shit on it and from what i can tell, everything that he replaced, has been replaced so he wasnt lying, so idk where to start with this shit

hmmm, maybe te configued the tensioner wrong on teh timing...that could also cause a problem like what your having.

2.0civic
03-22-2006, 12:20 PM
yeah it did feel like i lost power, almost like timing slipped. i gave it gas and it took like 2 seconds for it to climb from 600-1200 rpm then it did fine through the rest

B16a2 Civic
03-22-2006, 12:24 PM
yeah it did feel like i lost power, almost like timing slipped. i gave it gas and it took like 2 seconds for it to climb from 600-1200 rpm then it did fine through the rest

yeah, sounds like that me be the problem, late acceleration response.
see if your timing jumped, thats a main reason why it wont turn on all the way

never2loud
03-22-2006, 01:46 PM
mine did the same shit and i finally took the timing belt off and i was missing like 1/3 of all my teeth on the belt

2.0civic
03-22-2006, 09:58 PM
I just got off work but ima check it tomorrow

93H22ACX
03-23-2006, 06:47 AM
the clicking noise...is that when you try to crank up the car?

once your battery is fully charged and the car starts up....it might just be a dead alternator.

Evil Goat
03-23-2006, 06:48 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of being a dsm owner.....if you turn the key to on w/out turning it over can you hear the pump coming on? if so its likely it isnt the pump, theres a plug just behind the intake that may have come loose as well, mine came loose a few times and it would feel like the car was losing tons of power and then would shut off and not restart...ill look and see if i can get a picture of it

2.0civic
03-23-2006, 07:11 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of being a dsm owner.....if you turn the key to on w/out turning it over can you hear the pump coming on? if so its likely it isnt the pump, theres a plug just behind the intake that may have come loose as well, mine came loose a few times and it would feel like the car was losing tons of power and then would shut off and not restart...ill look and see if i can get a picture of it

that would be awesome and no i cant hear it click. tried to listen for it but no go. thanks for helping

2.0civic
03-27-2006, 09:23 AM
the hose is still fine too. After reading up on some symptoms, Ive come to the conclusion its either the ECU or Fuel pump But the previous owner just had put a walbro 190 in it in the last month....It shouldnt burn out that quick should it??

HiPSI
03-27-2006, 04:34 PM
that would be awesome and no i cant hear it click. tried to listen for it but no go. thanks for helping

the pump doesn't click... i'll make a buzzing/humming noise and with a stock one with all the interior crap in there it's really tough to hear it. best way is have a friend turn the key on and hold a hand or your ear to the fuel rail and you'll hear the fuel moving through.

2.0civic
03-27-2006, 06:49 PM
the pump doesn't click... i'll make a buzzing/humming noise and with a stock one with all the interior crap in there it's really tough to hear it. best way is have a friend turn the key on and hold a hand or your ear to the fuel rail and you'll hear the fuel moving through.
its a walbro 190, dont know if that matters or not as far as the sound goes but ima bout to go try the fuel rail thins and see whats up.

2.0civic
03-27-2006, 07:53 PM
just listened and yes there is gas getting to the rail

Evil Goat
03-28-2006, 11:00 AM
pull the ecu out, its behind the center console where the radio is and open it up....search google or somewhere for leaking ecu caps for dsms...thats another issue with these cars....a search should yeild some info on it though

2.0civic
03-28-2006, 03:05 PM
bout to go try to get the ecu. thanks for the help guys. ill let you know in a biut what i find

2.0civic
03-28-2006, 04:05 PM
i just checked the plugs; they are all in so i guess maybe a capacitor?? i dunno.

2.0civic
03-28-2006, 06:11 PM
pulled the ecu....still looks good. dont know what to do next. someone come buy it

green91
03-28-2006, 06:24 PM
do you have any pics of the car?

2.0civic
03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
pics of the car are in my FS thread. Thanks.