PDA

View Full Version : Pics Of My New Daily Drifter. 1988 Rx7 GTU.

Kalifornia087
03-21-2006, 09:51 AM
So last week i stopped (for the second time) and looked at this 88 GTU rx7 for sale about 5 min. from my house. The guy was home this time and i checked it out. Body has 206k, motor has 115k. He had recently had the motor replaced by a guy who lives about 3 minutes from me who happens to be a badass Rotary mechanic... *lucky*... Well i was planning on buying another car that day, but said, "i guess i'll just drive it because i have never actually driven an FC, only ridden in one... one time. So i did. The car did not even think about smoking on start up. Idled great. So i drive it down the road with the current owner. I cruies through a few turns, run it through the gears a few times... I was sold. The car's suspension is Amazingly tight, and it runs like a dream. I was instantly in Love. I looked right past the fact that it was rotary. After a lot of thought, i went back a couple hours later and bought it. Paid $1650 for it and i already just love it SO MUCH. Not to mention it is probably the nicest car i've ever bought, or owned LoL.

I had an FB shell that i bought to put a 302 in, but im re-selling it in order to fund other things. This is the first ruinning rotary i've ever driven or owned, and i am very pleased. I honestly never knew how much fun it could be. And it's Bone Stock right now! I will be starting to enter it in drift events very soon. But it is also going to be daily driven. If the 13b goes out, I will probably put the 302 in it that was going in the FB. But the 13b runs EXCELLENT right now, so it's all good.

Pics!

Kalifornia087
03-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Here's a few more pics.

*For kicks, i threw in one extra pic. About a week ago (few days be4 i bought the rx7) i bought a Camaro. I Paid $200 for it and DROVE IT HOME.... It's a 1986 Iroc Z, 305 Auto. The thing runs great. I may fix it up sometime, but for now i just beat on it here and there. It's still got posi so it's fun to burn out or drift it in 2nd gear. And yeah it'll slide around pretty well.

-Austin

Nemesis
03-21-2006, 10:00 AM
NIce man, are ya registered for April 9th? Drift Fury?

Repost Squintz
03-21-2006, 10:00 AM
whats with the last pic? clean rx7 though, u need to start modding it!

1439/2000
03-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Definitely a pretty clean looking fc. GTU's already have the turbo II tranny I believe, just find a turbo swap really cheap. Then wheels, exhaust, paint. Then buy another motor when thats blows.Repeat. lol

wantboost
03-21-2006, 10:03 AM
i love the fc. my friend had one. congrats

Kalifornia087
03-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Nemesis: If drift fury is not full by Thursday, I will be registering for it.

confusedkorean: The last pic is just me screwing around in my $200 camaro.

1439/2000: I *think* you are right about the tranny. I know mine has LSD already. Im going to put this thing through some competitions and learn the car stock. Then when i blow it up a 302 will reside between the fenders...

Thanks for the nice words guys.

-Austin

D.Choe
03-21-2006, 11:57 AM
nice.
does that mean you sold the AE86?
I still have that hood sitting around...

Kalifornia087
03-21-2006, 01:49 PM
No Dchoe, i have not sold the 86. However, my friend should be buying the 86, and i have told him he should buy your hood. I have been meaning to come up to buford and say hi, but i have been so stretched for time it's ridiculous. you going to be at drift fury?

-Austin

GTScoob
03-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Nice FC. Isnt it a 12A motor since it's nonturbo?

D.Choe
03-21-2006, 02:41 PM
No Dchoe, i have not sold the 86. However, my friend should be buying the 86, and i have told him he should buy your hood. I have been meaning to come up to buford and say hi, but i have been so stretched for time it's ridiculous. you going to be at drift fury?

-Austin

yeah I'll probably be there spectating but I duno if my car will be ready to compete by that time.
it's running strong right now, but I'm slowly adding new parts to the car every time I get my hands on them.
right now I'm just learning new techniques and trying to improve the suspension.

Doppelgänger
03-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Good find Austin! The 88 GTU is the same as a 89-91 GTU-s. Its got the TII suspension, no options, big brakes, LSD, and a revised tranny and rearend. Its not exactly a TII without the turbo....like the tranny has slightly different gearing, but isn't a exact turbo tranny.

Now get the Racing Beat truedual header and exhaust, S5 taillights, some 17"s (propersize tire would be a 235/45-17, ran that on my FC and it looked 'right') and some fresh paint.....and that'll be a badass car.

CRAZY_JAY
03-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Nice, 2 good purchases. You should put a cheap paint job on the Camaro and sell it for a profit and put the money into the RX7 or just keep the Camaro for a daily driver when you decide to put in the 302.

Kalifornia087
03-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Good find Austin! The 88 GTU is the same as a 89-91 GTU-s. Its got the TII suspension, no options, big brakes, LSD, and a revised tranny and rearend. Its not exactly a TII without the turbo....like the tranny has slightly different gearing, but isn't a exact turbo tranny.

Now get the Racing Beat truedual header and exhaust, S5 taillights, some 17"s (propersize tire would be a 235/45-17, ran that on my FC and it looked 'right') and some fresh paint.....and that'll be a badass car.

Thanks Mike. I didn't know the suspension was the same, and i didn't know it had bigger brakes (just that it stopped pretty well hehe), I did know it had LSD though, as i have been drifting around in it getting to know it :king: . As far as i know it has Gears, and the whole tranny thing sounds Dead on. If i remember, you had a White one, right? Maybe i'll see you at Drift Fury, if spots aren't filled by thursday, i'll be in it! 17's hopefully coming soon... Along with a drop.

yeah I'll probably be there spectating but I duno if my car will be ready to compete by that time.
it's running strong right now, but I'm slowly adding new parts to the car every time I get my hands on them.
right now I'm just learning new techniques and trying to improve the suspension.

Well, i am hopefully going to be in it! Even if im not, i'll come up there and say hi. Can't wait to see your Rolla, and to see it built up. Im working on better techniques also, hope to work on them with seat time at events instead of risking street runs... even if they are fun.

Crazyjay: Yeah i was going to sell the camaro after putting a few body parts on it and a cheap paint job, but i like it and for what i paid for it, im holding on to it. It's fun to slide around when i drop it down in "2", seems like a good drift car to!

down_shift
03-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Looks like a nice clean car, good luck with it.

YoshiFD3S
03-22-2006, 01:59 AM
Transmission, final gear, LSD, suspension, 4lug N/A VS. 5lug T2, wiring, etc..

It isn't easy to do a full T2 conversion.

And FC's are known notoriously for their rear toe-in. Get yourself some rear-toe eliminators, and some of those things that increase steering angle. Those 2 things alone, plus some decent suspension will make it more driftable.

I speak from experience.

:P

Kalifornia087
03-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Transmission, final gear, LSD, suspension, 4lug N/A VS. 5lug T2, wiring, etc..

It isn't easy to do a full T2 conversion.

And FC's are known notoriously for their rear toe-in. Get yourself some rear-toe eliminators, and some of those things that increase steering angle. Those 2 things alone, plus some decent suspension will make it more driftable.

I speak from experience.

:P

I already have LSD and a 5 lug pattern. :)

But i don't really plan on a T2 conversion either. I will be upgrading suspension in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion about the rear-toe eliminators. do you know where i can find some? thanks for the info, i saw a thread where you posted a pic of a t2 you had (red one), it was extremely nice.

-Austin

Doppelgänger
03-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Racing Beat sells the toe-eliminators...or MazdaTrix.. i can't remember. Either way, both companies make great products for the FC's.

Yeah, i had a white 91 GTU. Also, if you want the best performance, get a new clutchpack for the LSD from Mazda and find a good driveline shop/mechanic to rebuild the clutch pack...it'll make a world of difference since the original ones tend to be worn from being old and driven 'normally' on.

And remember, a redline a day keeps a rebuld away ;)

Kalifornia087
03-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks Mike. The LSD holds up pretty nicely in this one, but now i know where to go when it wears out. LoL @ your "rebuild away" jingle. That to keep it from carbon locking? Hit me up sometime. CAr is now insured and tag'd, and im trying to get a lot of practice in....

-Austin