PDA

View Full Version : FRAUD-Be aware when selling your car on-line

mach1girl
03-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey you all, just as a heads up some of you may have heard there is a scam going around called the Nigerian Check fraud. My boyfriend and I posted his car on Vehix to sell and we had a an inquiry to buy it. the long and long. If you get a request like below don't do it. My friend unfortunately followed through with it and his lost car, plus money. The certified check was bad and he gave them 8500 for "shipping." Bad Situation. I had a bad gutt about it so i called the authorities and they are working on it, but thank goodness we did not send any money.

Here is the email i received:
hello
Thanks for your email, the answers to my questions were well accepted.

I have spoken to my client and he has instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier cheque of $24,000which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.

Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque, so you are required to deduct cost of your car $15,500 when payment gets to you and refund balance $8,500 to my clients shippers via western union money transfer for them to be able to offset shipping charges down here and from there.

After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him, our agent will come for inspection/pick-up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary documents will be either collected from you at the point of pick-up or sent via fedex courier to my customer.

Confirm this and provide

1)Name (cheque will be made payable to),

2)Address ( the check will be deliverred to) and Phone number for check payment to be delivered to you via registerred mail.

Thanks..."

Ran
03-20-2006, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't even consider selling to something like that. If you fall for something that suspicious then you kinda deserved to get scammed. No offense to you or your boyfriend. I hope all works out for you in the end. Better luck next time.

mach1girl
03-20-2006, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't even consider selling to something like that. If you fall for something that suspicious then you kinda deserved to get scammed. No offense to you or your boyfriend. I hope all works out for you in the end. Better luck next time.

Oh no, we didn't fall for it. no transaction was made... Got the email and said "yeah right, I don't think so" and sent it on over to authorities.

Ran
03-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Oh okay then cool. Thanks for the heads up. :)

CRXchic19
03-20-2006, 12:15 PM
bottom line, dont send money overseas. if you do, make sure you have some kind of fraud policy with the company you are shipping the money through. BEWARE of western union, and kind of money wiring, certified checks, money orders, if you send money like this your ASS IS TOAST because you have nothing to back it up with. :2cents:

rickgiblin
03-20-2006, 12:22 PM
this is the latest email that i got about my dirtbike that i sold LAST august. im still gettin these scams.

Hello
I saw your advert via
internet that you have your(2000 CR250R Custom needs
to go asap) for sale which am highly
interested in purchasing.So i will like to get me the
listed below: (1)the present condition (2)the updating
pic''s and (3)the last price you''re willing to sell
it. However,my terms of payment we be in certisfiede
cashier cheque ok, Don't worry about the shipping i
will arrange with the shipping company that will be
coming for the pick up at your location...
[email protected]

ive finally said fine, and keep playing with there heads and ill send some pics of shit with me on the bike from before i sold it. but i just let them think that, and i still have not recieved any check from someone. its just a bunch of bull. im gonna check and see if i have any other emails, but you can always know cuse they spell check "cheque". but the authorties cant do anything. its sad to say

mach1girl
03-20-2006, 12:32 PM
this is the latest email that i got about my dirtbike that i sold LAST august. im still gettin these scams.

Hello
I saw your advert via
internet that you have your(2000 CR250R Custom needs
to go asap) for sale which am highly
interested in purchasing.So i will like to get me the
listed below: (1)the present condition (2)the updating
pic''s and (3)the last price you''re willing to sell
it. However,my terms of payment we be in certisfiede
cashier cheque ok, Don't worry about the shipping i
will arrange with the shipping company that will be
coming for the pick up at your location...
[email protected]

ive finally said fine, and keep playing with there heads and ill send some pics of shit with me on the bike from before i sold it. but i just let them think that, and i still have not recieved any check from someone. its just a bunch of bull. im gonna check and see if i have any other emails, but you can always know cuse they spell check "cheque". but the authorties cant do anything. its sad to say

I work with Government Agencies here in the State of GA and one of them is GA Dept of Public Safety. They hooked me up with the below link. You submit a complaint and i guess take it from there....

"You may file a complaint at http://www.ic3.gov/ (http://www.ic3.gov/) , this is a partnership between the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center re matters like these. It is a common practice for people to create fraudulent checks and send them for purchases. These checks are over the amount of the purchase and they will then ask for a refund for the difference in price. Once everyone realizes that the check is fraudulent the bad guy has the refund and the car."

HeLLo iM iZzY
03-20-2006, 02:28 PM
cant understand why people have to scam in order to get what they want...fuckin tools:2up:

quickdodge®
03-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Hey you all, just as a heads up some of you may have heard there is a scam going around called the Nigerian Check fraud. My boyfriend and I posted his car on Vehix to sell and we had a an inquiry to buy it. the long and long. If you get a request like below don't do it. My friend unfortunately followed through with it and his lost car, plus money. The certified check was bad and he gave them 8500 for "shipping." Bad Situation. I had a bad gutt about it so i called the authorities and they are working on it, but thank goodness we did not send any money.

Here is the email i received:
hello
Thanks for your email, the answers to my questions were well accepted.

I have spoken to my client and he has instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier cheque of $24,000which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.

Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque, so you are required to deduct cost of your car $15,500 when payment gets to you and refund balance $8,500 to my clients shippers via western union money transfer for them to be able to offset shipping charges down here and from there.

After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him, our agent will come for inspection/pick-up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary documents will be either collected from you at the point of pick-up or sent via fedex courier to my customer.

Confirm this and provide

1)Name (cheque will be made payable to),

2)Address ( the check will be deliverred to) and Phone number for check payment to be delivered to you via registerred mail.

Thanks..."

This is almost as old as the Internet. I've seen this posted countless times on other message boards over the years. Later, QD.

BLk92DA
03-20-2006, 03:05 PM
:stupid:

The Golden Child
03-20-2006, 03:20 PM
yea i got emailed by a company saying that they would send me checks and i would just cash it out for them and i make 10% from every check i cash ..

mach1girl
03-20-2006, 03:56 PM
This is almost as old as the Internet. I've seen this posted countless times on other message boards over the years. Later, QD.

Well it just happened to me this weekend sooooo.... some of us are a little slower than others AND some still fall for it. just tryin to help. not all of us are always in the "know";)

Curbow_USMC
03-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Yea i had the same problem when i posted my wife's car for sale in myspace. i just ignored it and went on.

brads94accord
03-20-2006, 09:56 PM
It is a common practice for people to create fraudulent checks and send them for purchases. These checks are over the amount of the purchase and they will then ask for a refund for the difference in price. Once everyone realizes that the check is fraudulent the bad guy has the refund and the car."[/color][/font]

exactly its called money laundering, its harder to trace the source of the money once they get the refund check

I get people all the time who call me at work pissed of b/c we put a 15 day hold on their account to stop charges when they send in large payments to payoff their account.

i try to explain this to them that we need to wait to make sure if clears first before we allow them to charge up their card again. most people don't wanna listen and get pissed off.

1439/2000
03-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Lol x2 money laundering.

rickgiblin
03-20-2006, 10:12 PM
o, and its also going for people buying cars... it gets alot of people. they will say that the car is over here and that the car is in a warehouse or some type of shit. but they will be over seas for the moment and they couldnt bring it over here or something. and alot of their scams will have squaretrade or something in it. basically if its to good to be true then IT IS NOT REAL, it really is too good to be true

teggy 2nr
03-21-2006, 07:31 AM
same shit happened to me...they said they would ship me a 300zx, but i have to deposit money first and then pay the rest after i inspected the car.....i was like hell no!

MachNU
03-21-2006, 10:46 AM

BUHAHAHAHHAHAHA i even madea thread back in december in the WHoreslounge about this scam. You litterally deserve to have been scammed if you fail for this. When i went to sail my car, i agreed with teh guys the whole way for selling my car. THey even gave me there address and sent me a check. Know if you where a smart person who you would have checked the address like i did, which mine they gave was spread across three states. EVen some of the places they named didnt even exist. THen the check they sent took me 3 minutes to find out it was fake, all i did was call the bank it was out of, faxed them a photo of the check, and the lady didnt even have to run the numbers. As sson as she saw it she told me it was fake, and filled a report witht eh FBI so.....

Altima_404
03-21-2006, 11:34 AM
yeah it happens on craigslist alot...it's bullshit....fucking thevies

MachNU
03-21-2006, 11:35 AM
yeah it happens on craigslist alot...it's bullshit....fucking thevies

buhahahah i made a plack of the $16,000 check i got from them for my car!

devinwebb907
03-22-2006, 10:29 PM
i got something like that, the guy was going to send me a check in the mail. if i get one i am going to contact the authorities. people like this need to get in trouble. [if u couldnt tell i knew it was a scam from frame one].

AtifSajid
03-23-2006, 02:37 PM
yeah. I get about 10 of these emails a week. From everyone and there mama , and they are as old as the internet. But damn some people dont know about them. Lets make a list. I need to get some free money.

wesleya1018
01-28-2007, 06:02 PM
i had the same thing happpen with my civic si lastyear

preferredduck
02-24-2007, 05:53 PM
sometimes they want you to put $100 in a wells fargo account, then they swipe your $100!!! that one is floating around as well

TOODLES
04-02-2007, 03:18 PM
i just got one of those... good lookin out.

Greetings.....
Thanks for your response I am happy to inform you that I have concluded arrangements with my client (Mr Richard Schumacher) and he was very happy with the condition of your car and he has issued a cashier check of ($4,000) which now covers the whole expenses of the purchase of your vehicle, tax, pickup of the vehicle from its location and shipping charges or any shipping arrangements together with the money that will come to me as interest for my effort, he also told me that he will proceeding for his annual leave and will like this transaction to be over before he will go on leave, so When you receive check payment, you are expected to deduct the cost of your vehicle which is ($2,000) and send the remaining balance of ($2,000) to the agent (shipper) for h im to be able to offset shipping & tax charges. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers) and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my (client) and also conclude other necessary shipping arrangements. So you don’t have to bother yourself about the pick up and shipping arrangements.
Please confirm the above and provide your payment information for your payment to be delivered to you via courier service.
Please provide the following:
1-LEGAL NAME IN FULL..............
2. CONTACT ADDRESS.....................
3. PHONE NUMBER(S)...........................
I will be expecting your mail with full payment information so that we can proceed.
Thanks And God Bless,
Gordon Borge
96 Waterloo Rd Southport
Meyerside PRS 3AY.
England

sleepys4
04-02-2007, 04:56 PM
They tried to get me not to long ago, not gonna happend. It semi funny to me now, i just mess with them and see if they will really send the check and stuff.

TOODLES
04-02-2007, 06:57 PM
they got my mom's friend on buyin a dog...word is they actually do send someone out to the house and all that. i guess if ya wanna stop it, just have the police waiting at ur door.

EssAreTwenTee
04-02-2007, 09:30 PM
I got some crap like that when I sold my xbox 360 on ebay. lady buys it and says she wants to have it sent to her granddaughter in nigeria. Said she would even be so kind as to have fedex pick it up from me. So I played along. When I was sent notification via email from some company Ive never heard of I put a big rock in a plain brown box and used a magic marker to draw a big x on the box. And tada she got an xbox. :)

preferredduck
04-02-2007, 10:18 PM
they even try this with a wells fargo account and snatch your $100.