PDA

View Full Version : Min Wage In Cuba??? WTF

Boneswiss
04-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Castro More Than Doubles Minimum Wage to $10 a Month

HAVANA (Reuters) - Cuban President Fidel Castro announced on Thursday the minimum wage would be more than doubled to 225 pesos ($10) a month from 100 pesos ($4.50), effective on May 1.

The raise will benefit 1.6 million Cubans who earn the lowest salaries in Communist Cuba, including farm laborers, plumbers, carpenters, bakers and undertakers.

Castro made the announcement in the latest of his three-hour speeches addressing economic problems endured by Cubans since the collapse of the Soviet Union plunged Cuba into deep crisis. It was the eighth speech in 10 days broadcast live to the nation.

"The increase will raise the minimum salary from 100 pesos to 225 pesos," the Cuban leader said.

Castro said this would raise the average monthly wage in Cuba to 312 pesos ($14.20) from 282 pesos ($12.80) at a cost to the government of $48.4 million.

Cubans welcomed the raises, but said it was still too little to live on. Rent and public services are heavily subsidized in Cuba, but essential consumer goods are more expensive than in the United States.

Many Cubans supplement their meager wages working on the black-market. The luckier ones receive cash remittances from relatives abroad.

Castro's drive to improve the lot of deprived Cubans began on March 8, when he announced the distribution of cheap pressure cookers and electric rice steamers for every household.

On March 31, he increase pensions and social security benefits by 50 percent for 1.5 million Cubans. He has promised ration-book handouts of chocolate and better quality coffee.

On Thursday, the 78-year-old Cuban leader called on Cubans to save electricity to help the energy-deficient Caribbean island overcome chronic power outages.

Castro promised the population new and more efficient household appliances, such as electric fans and refrigerators.

He displayed on stage two American-made Frigidaire and Westinghouse fridges from the 1950's that are still in use in Cuba, and homemade ventilators, as examples of appliances that consume too much electricity.

"We are going to have less power cuts," he promised.

Castro has expressed confidence about Cuba's economic recovery in recent months, based on increased earnings from tourism and nickel exports.

Brett
04-23-2005, 08:06 AM
I can care less about how they live to be honest with you, Until they have the balls to stand up to that pussy ass Castro, They will get whats coming to them.... NOTHING

Pebbles
04-23-2005, 08:39 AM
thats actually a nice thing castro is doing compare to his other crazt shit he has done.

edit*** this is Julio

Kevykev
04-23-2005, 10:59 AM
wow, totally different way of life there, not subject to comparison with the US.

Tasuki_Civic
04-23-2005, 11:11 AM
thats actually a nice thing castro is doing compare to his other crazt shit he has done.

edit*** this is Julio

your right............lol but its no better than america.......wha?? a dollar more dats it.

eViLMunkey
04-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Dude that's why I'm proud to be an American....

Kevykev
04-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Dude that's why I'm proud to be an American....

as in 'appreciative' right?

yep, yep

eViLMunkey
04-23-2005, 11:29 AM
what freedoms we still have and the wages I make and can make definately...

bigb996
04-23-2005, 01:00 PM
10.00 a month? after retiring from mcdonalds we could move down there and live like kings!

Bajjani
04-23-2005, 04:26 PM
That is gonna fuck with the economy...if the businesses can afford to pay their new minimum wages..say their cost of employees doubles...well they may have to lay some people off. Theft goes up, poverty goes up. Afterwards, to compensate for lost funds prices rise and then your 10 dollars was just as useful as the 4.50 but less people have jobs..

FrnkPwrs
04-23-2005, 06:07 PM
I can care less about how they live to be honest with you, Until they have the balls to stand up to that pussy ass Castro, They will get whats coming to them.... NOTHING

Kinda harsh words, seeing its a lot easier said than done. For the most part, all these people can do is speak out, and there are tons who do. But its hard to have people finance a revolution when you can barely put food on the table. Have you ever talked to a Cuban from Cuba? LOL, besides saying that they were X in castros house [if they are a plumber, used to be a plumber in his house] they really dont have much.

FrnkPwrs
04-23-2005, 06:09 PM
That is gonna fuck with the economy...if the businesses can afford to pay their new minimum wages..say their cost of employees doubles...well they may have to lay some people off. Theft goes up, poverty goes up. Afterwards, to compensate for lost funds prices rise and then your 10 dollars was just as useful as the 4.50 but less people have jobs..

Wrong economic model. Cuba is a communist country.

uncle_el
04-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Wrong economic model. Cuba is a communist country.

correct.

of course it's not as if cuba's the only country that has low wages... and of course the article doesn't mention that it's health care is much better than ours here in this country.

castro's been in power from jfk, through lbj, nixon, ford, carter, reagan, bush, clinton, and bush... and we've had trade embargos against cuba since 1962! it's a wonder they've been able to survive.

if anything, the injustice of low wages and anything else going on may be more to blame on this side of the gulf of mexico...

man
04-24-2005, 08:58 PM
wow, totally different way of life there, not subject to comparison with the US.

not completely true, $10.00 there is not worth much more than $10.00 here. my family flew over from cuba right before the revolution and I have heard some bad stories about castro, that asshole needs to die.

4dmin
04-25-2005, 08:05 AM

^ that just amazes me coming from such a big BUSH supporter... lets save the world from WMD, i thought you people are on conquest to free people in bad situations????

if anything, the injustice of low wages and anything else going on may be more to blame on this side of the gulf of mexico...
damn straight.... funny we fly 1000s of miles away to "free people" but we can't go 60 miles.

My whole family is from Miami maybe some of you should go to south florida and talk to some cubans who are from there and ask them how it is. :rolleyes:

FrnkPwrs
04-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Lots of people arent that informed on Cuba in general, and its messed up. LOL, anyone seen the cuba episode of good times?

I agree with paul though, whats the deal with why GWB cant dump millions into Cuba? I mean, he changed the number of times that US citizens can visit their family, so he must be somewhat aware that cuba exist! Im going to google for how much oil is in Cuba...

AtifSajid
04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
^Nice one...bwahahahahaaa

A.P. Photography
04-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Its 90 miles paul not 60 http://forums.importatlanta.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://rgimages.com/images/img03020.jpg

4dmin
04-25-2005, 12:11 PM
^ you google TOOL :321:

A.P. Photography
04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
^ you google TOOL :321:
Actually I have been there but don't have my vacation pics on this computer :bigok:

Bajjani
04-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Oops, good catch Frnk..4get that minor detail

man
04-25-2005, 05:21 PM
My whole family is from Miami maybe some of you should go to south florida and talk to some cubans who are from there and ask them how it is. :rolleyes:

Or just talk to my family

FrnkPwrs
04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Its funny. If a single cuban is murdered, i hear about it hear in GA. The whole island talks about it like a big event. Here, we just change the chanel on whatever news station we heard it on. The US has such a crazy view on Cuba, and its messed up becuase there is a lot that nobody knows

Hulud
04-26-2005, 10:14 PM
thats nice as hell for castro to do but i still feel bad for them because i make more in one hour at my work than most do in a month.

Streetking322
04-28-2005, 08:21 AM

Very harsh... anyone even thinks about speaking out aginst Castro they will get killed. I mean what are they suppose to do? Get all thier buddys and walk over to Castros house and attempt to muder him?

BOOSTEDeg
04-28-2005, 09:10 AM
All about cost of living man. It is also a communist country. People there are probably glad to get it too, that's the sad thing. So called "third world" countries are like that. I saw it all through out Central and South America in my 16 month venture there. I had a maid for $30 a month and that's only because she was on post, off post probably would have been like $10. It's bad but that's how it is down there.

Hulud
04-28-2005, 09:17 AM
my gf's dad is a paratrooper is that what you do?