PDA

View Full Version : Shafted: Infinity Systems/Fry's Electronics

MongolPup
03-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Brett's recommendation on placement, here it is

So about 3 months ago I bought an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1D sub and an Infinity Reference 310a amp from Fry’s. 350 watts RMS on both, twin amp/sub.

Two weeks ago the sub cuts out in the middle of a song. About a minute later it comes back. I think maybe the amp is overheating. IT starts happening more frequently, until it gets to about 50-50 works doesn’t work. I start looking into returning it. Finally it just stops working. I call Infinity and the automated system tells me to return it to the authorized retailer. I take it back to Fry’s, saying it is under warranty from Infinity and they said I should get it swapped out. I shoot the breeze with the manager as an employee goes to the back to call Infinity and find out if they are supposed to do this. He comes and tells me that there is nothing they can do; I have to send it back to Infinity. At this point the manager disappears. At the end of the conversation the employee says not even the manager can do anything about and he’s sorry (I don’t see him ANYWHERE). I go home, confused.

I call Infinity back the next day, get a person, and explain the problem. He tells me it sounds like a voice coil problem, send it back. I asked why couldn’t I swap it out, and then tell what happened at Fry’s. The support guy gets pretty flustered, saying that Fry’s is obligated by their contract to take warranty swaps, and he asks for Fry’s number, and mine. He says he is trying to call Fry’s and do I remember the manager’s name because often this will try to bombard him with questions and then try to deny anything and get off the phone. I ask if this is common and he says yes, just not with Fry’s. Then he tells me that someone from Infinity will call them and then they will call me back and tell me to go in tomorrow.

I wait 3 days, and no call from Infinity. I decide to call Fry’s and explain everything that has happened, and how I was told that they had to swap it for me if it was in stock. I ask DIRECTLY for the “Person-In-Charge”. The lady is taken aback and asks what about? I explain and then hold for about 6 minutes. The phone is answered by a bread and butter audio employee. I explain and he says “Umm we don’t that…. Let me ask my manager.”

I’m not sure what he thought he did with the phone, but I could hear what he was saying clearly. He goes “I have a guy on the line that says we are going to take his sub back, Infinity says so. We don’t do that… do we?” The guy he is talking to goes “I don’t know.” First guy goes “I don’t know.” I get on the phone with the audio-visual manager and he says that he is going to call corporate and find out, what’s my number so he can call back. 10 minutes later he calls back and says that corporate says that they won’t do it, because the damage is considered abuse. He asks me to bring it in so they can inspect it to find out if this is the case. I say okay, I’m on my way.

Before leaving I call Infinity and say Fry’s told they wouldn’t take it back because voice coil problems are abuse. The tech says you get one swap no matter what, but if there are any other ones then it must be a mechanical defect. I get to Fry’s and relate this information to the manager, who says doesn’t matter; we don’t have it in stock. I go to Fry’s quite often, and they have over 10 of these subs at any given time, and I have never seen it on clearance (I read their ad everyday). I ask how this is possible and they say we don’t stock it anymore; its only special order and you have to buy one to get that. The manager says, “ I talked to the buyer for Fry’s, who deals directly with Infinity. He says if you ship it in, they will inspect it and then ship it back to you untouched and charge you S&H.” At this point both men look away and say “I guess I’m kind of out of options” and some other stuff. They don’t look up. I say, “Thank you gentlemen have a nice day. They don’t look up or saying anything, just stand there reading some charts. I walk out.

Now I am stuck with a useless 170 buck subwoofer and I don’t have the money to buy another one (took me awhile to save for that one).

Any thoughts?

v3rd1g0
03-14-2006, 08:06 PM
managment @ fry's = shit; hate the management love the prices. sorry to hear about that man. lol i got to hear everystep along the way XD.

IndianStig
03-14-2006, 08:07 PM
kill brett........

R3RUN
03-14-2006, 08:11 PM
yea that sucks. i might be able to go in with you thursday maybe. ill act as though im going to buy one and when they bring it out you can jump in. :) .

RandomGuy
03-14-2006, 08:12 PM
lol this is the one advantage BB has over frys lol fuckin commision motherfuckers have to "junk out" that part and the store takes the hit... and those in charge lose some off of their "bonus check" i have a friend who is a manager there(pleasant hill) and he wont do shit i know it too simply because its like asking them "Hey i will be happy if you can give me a chunk of your check"

dude you gotta be more of an asshole when in there... the store managers BS with you... Go back in and tell the manager to call infinity IN FRONT OF YOU on your cell phone. Or call them while in the store.

itzjustmikey
03-14-2006, 08:20 PM
that sucks... you should roll up there with a buncha friends and get some options of what you can do because that sounds so sketch what they did at fry's http://forums.importatlanta.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

babowc
03-14-2006, 08:23 PM
some fucked up shit..
remind me never to go to frys

MongolPup
03-14-2006, 08:24 PM
never go to frys.

RandomGuy
03-14-2006, 08:26 PM
never go to frys.
frys isnt the devil.... they got MAD CHEAP SHIT...
just they will fuck you over at whatever chance they get.. simple as that... theyre super bad as far as rebates go too... be careful... took me 6 months to get a rebate which was promised in 30 days... with effort...

B16a2 Civic
03-14-2006, 08:31 PM
thats THE MAN for ya

R3RUN
03-14-2006, 08:40 PM
yea frys is like that guy bubba in prison, you might need him for protection now but your unsure later when hes shafting you if it was really worth it.

MongolPup
03-14-2006, 08:46 PM
I miss bass. I only have 4 inch speakers, i.e. no bass.

VUU
03-14-2006, 10:11 PM
I went through the same thing back in 2000? I think that's when the perfect's first came out. Anyway's I bought one, had a problem and called infinity. They shipped me a new one and paid to pick up the old one. That one lasted a few weeks then started acting like what you described cuttin in and out. I called again and talked with Chris Dragon?? one of the designers and he came to the same conclusion that it was a voice coil problem. But they were cool about it and sent out another one. Somehow they shipped more than they should have to me and in the end I had 2 kappa perfects but I'd only paid for one.

v3rd1g0
03-14-2006, 10:17 PM
hey mongol we should do the strength in numbers thing. me you and r3 should hit it up.

YoshiFD3S
03-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Wow.

That really is messed up.

Infinity says "Fry's is SUPPOSED to replace it"

You've SEEN they have them in-stock.

Fry's Managers tell you it's NOT in-stock, and that they basically "can't" do anything?

I say you basically get Infinity on the phone with them, in your sight, or shit, put the Infinity rep on speaker-phone in front of the guy's at Fry's.

Make them feel like retards...

I worked at Best Buy in Kennesaw for long enough to know just how lazy and sneaky employees and managers can be when it comes to trying to worm their way out of losing money.

What someone posted earlier, you need to be more "asshole-ish" about it.

I could explain better in person, over a cig...online is kinda tough.

But now I want a cig.

*walks off*

collins
03-15-2006, 01:45 AM
lol this is the one advantage BB has over frys lol fuckin commision motherfuckers have to "junk out" that part and the store takes the hit... and those in charge lose some off of their "bonus check" i have a friend who is a manager there(pleasant hill) and he wont do shit i know it too simply because its like asking them "Hey i will be happy if you can give me a chunk of your check"

dude you gotta be more of an asshole when in there... the store managers BS with you... Go back in and tell the manager to call infinity IN FRONT OF YOU on your cell phone. Or call them while in the store.

thats not entirely true. fry's may be different, i'm not sure, but i know at hhgregg, if we have a defective peice come back, we have whats called RTV. meaning RETURN TO VENDER. thus, the STORE doesnt take the hit. the manufacturer does. so, unless their system is completly different from ours, to say that its affecting their bonuses, well thats not the case at all. just sounds like a bunch of slack asses that dont give a shit about customer service.

RandomGuy
03-15-2006, 05:44 AM
thats not entirely true. fry's may be different, i'm not sure, but i know at hhgregg, if we have a defective peice come back, we have whats called RTV. meaning RETURN TO VENDER. thus, the STORE doesnt take the hit. the manufacturer does. so, unless their system is completly different from ours, to say that its affecting their bonuses, well thats not the case at all. just sounds like a bunch of slack asses that dont give a shit about customer service.
nah i was talking to my friend about a similar situation. When something is "junked out" it is sold to some company for like 9 cents a pound... random shit.... be it a 900$ peice of software(if for some reason they take an opened peice) or a 30$ TV... its wierd anyways i gotta go to school right now i will explain it later lol

03-15-2006, 07:40 AM
if its less than 30 days just return the shit..... then go buy another....

v3rd1g0
03-15-2006, 09:51 AM
it's past the 30 days.

babygurl
03-15-2006, 10:09 AM
How long do you have on the warranty? If its still in warranty, I would take it back and demand that they fix, it! Hell even threaten to have protest out side of there store, or something! usually works!

MongolPup
03-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Three Years from Infinity

Sibious
03-15-2006, 01:54 PM
damn i got 2 infintiy 10"s. ummm havent had prolbmes yet, but got warranty from circut city. anything happens they swap

MongolPup
03-15-2006, 04:48 PM
yeah now i wish i had payed the extra 40 bucks or w/e.

anyone want to buy a broken sub?

v3rd1g0
03-15-2006, 04:58 PM
infinity has a 1 year doesn't it?

MongolPup
03-15-2006, 08:08 PM
3 years.

IndianStig
03-15-2006, 10:37 PM
ok dont kill brett, let him be, if you want

me, TDi kid, and RSX kid will come, i think RSX boy is actually looking for ice, not sure but, he could be

YoshiFD3S
03-15-2006, 11:59 PM
nah i was talking to my friend about a similar situation. When something is "junked out" it is sold to some company for like 9 cents a pound... random shit.... be it a 900$ peice of software(if for some reason they take an opened peice) or a 30$ TV... its wierd anyways i gotta go to school right now i will explain it later lol

$900 piece of software..

$30 TV...

*giggle-snort*

In the end, a store like Best Buy, Fry's, and HHGreg are only really going to help you within the first 30 days. Even during that period, they're very...'careful' about any potential time/money-losing situations they are put in...and after the 30 days, you're basically narrowed down to two options: One, you go in there, be an A-Hole and bitch bitch bitch...or TWO....you can basically be nice, and beg...sorta.

And sh*t, some products, like computers, are only 14 days. Companies like this tend to be VERY selective on what they WANT to consider "abuse" versus actual "defects in craftsmanship".

Being after the 30 days, if you're still within warranty, then just as someone else said, they should "RTV"....where they basically just send it to the manufacturer and let them do what they are supposed to.

At Best Buy, if someone didn't have a Performance Service Plan and they came in with a product still covered under the manufacturer's warranty, then they would simply show Geek Squad, and Geek Squad would send it to the appropriate vendor/manufacturer.

Eh...in the end, I think you should just ask Infinity if you can mail them the thing, and maybe just pay shipping to/from.. as long as it gets fixed, I'm sure the shipping wouldn't put a hole in your pocket at all, and then you wouldn't have to deal with the apparent A-holes @ Fry's any longer.

That's my suggestion.

- M

MongolPup
03-16-2006, 07:16 AM
so today is d-day?

Demsum
03-16-2006, 03:23 PM
I work in the customer service section at fry's electronics, and I can tell you our side of the story. In general the manufactures warranty is just that, a warranty throught the manufacture. Which means it has to be shipped to them and they will ship a new product in return. I dont know any store that would swap it out after three months. The longest retail return polices for electronics are 90 days , and places that follow that policy are very strict about it. Try to argue with wal-mart with a late return, there company is worth so much more than ours and they are the worst kind of asshole when it comes to return policy.
We even have a seperate department that deals with rebates. If it takes longer than a couple months to get a rebate come into the store, and we will contact the company and see why you havent recieved it. If the company says that they wont honor the rebate, we will honor it in store with either a store credit for the rebate amount or cash from our registers. The reason why we dont just take shit back and RTV it is because everything in the store is already paid for by the store owner. Fry's is privatly owned so everything in the store is ours, unlike other stores that recieve items from manufactures on a finance system. when we send items back they charge a large percentage.
I would recommend to anybody purchasing any type of car audio from fry's to buy an extended warranty from us. This way when it's two years old and your amp blows you can come in and exchange it for a new one, no questions asked. And the one we give you will be better than your old one most of the time because of how often technology changes. If you still don't understand the way we look at it by now i'm sorry, just try the same thing somewhere else and see if the out come is much better. Especially considering that people abuse the shit out of car audio equipment.

ahmonrah
03-16-2006, 03:41 PM
yah ...

03-16-2006, 05:25 PM
after 30 days it is your responsability to ship it to infinity.....

Julio
03-16-2006, 05:40 PM
I work in the customer service section at fry's electronics, and I can tell you our side of the story. In general the manufactures warranty is just that, a warranty throught the manufacture. Which means it has to be shipped to them and they will ship a new product in return. I dont know any store that would swap it out after three months. The longest retail return polices for electronics are 90 days , and places that follow that policy are very strict about it. Try to argue with wal-mart with a late return, there company is worth so much more than ours and they are the worst kind of asshole when it comes to return policy.
We even have a seperate department that deals with rebates. If it takes longer than a couple months to get a rebate come into the store, and we will contact the company and see why you havent recieved it. If the company says that they wont honor the rebate, we will honor it in store with either a store credit for the rebate amount or cash from our registers. The reason why we dont just take shit back and RTV it is because everything in the store is already paid for by the store owner. Fry's is privatly owned so everything in the store is ours, unlike other stores that recieve items from manufactures on a finance system. when we send items back they charge a large percentage.
I would recommend to anybody purchasing any type of car audio from fry's to buy an extended warranty from us. This way when it's two years old and your amp blows you can come in and exchange it for a new one, no questions asked. And the one we give you will be better than your old one most of the time because of how often technology changes. If you still don't understand the way we look at it by now i'm sorry, just try the same thing somewhere else and see if the out come is much better. Especially considering that people abuse the shit out of car audio equipment.

Anyone can understand that.. But the customer service at Fry's sucks ass.
Fuck Fry's.. most of the shit the sale is generic.. they have good shit.. but mostly generic...
fuckin COBY

Demsum
03-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Nobody sells high end shit for cheap, it's the same everywhere you go. And our customer service is pretty good considering our huge customer base. We are allways packed on the weekends, we even have customers that drive from out of state.

thinkfast®
03-16-2006, 06:07 PM
who cares if they sell cheap shit, if you don't like Frys then dont shop there? :lmfao:

Fuck Coby too, them cheap shits

MongolPup
03-16-2006, 06:11 PM
lol think, I don't like them now, I had no problem then.

demsum you work there? you didn't happen to talk to me did you?

and WTF is coby?

no name FTW!

MongolPup
03-16-2006, 06:13 PM
and demsum i just read your post. I understand its over 30 and 90 days, you said wtf would I try to return it after three months? Because it needs to be swapped out, and fry's is obligated to do it!

thinkfast®
03-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Coby Bryant

COUNT IT!!

Demsum
03-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I wasnt working at the time. A friend of mine that checks the forums a lot told me about it. I actually found out today that we are about to start swapping some manufactures out after up to a year, but the ones i found out about where networking companies ( I also work for electronic components ). I was trying to see if we did actually swap out infiniti, but I wasn't able to talk to the Audio/ Video department manager today. Coby is a brand that makes really cheap cd players, dvd players, mp3 players, headphones....
But they arent the worst when it comes to cheap stuff. I have more returns from a company call cyberhome who makes dvd players.
I will look into the Infiniti thing for you tommorrow. I'm sorry this had to happen to a fellow IA member, and I'll try to help you the best i can.

MongolPup
03-16-2006, 07:30 PM
thanks a lot dude.

Brandon C
03-16-2006, 10:38 PM
call Clark Howard...Bet you get it exchanged then!!!!

Demsum
03-16-2006, 11:10 PM
I personally did a price adjustment for Clark Howard. He loves our store, and he has a lot of fans that shop at Fry's. Customer's were shaking his hand left and right when he came through. I personally don't get it. Are people so stupid that they need a person to tell them when and where to shop?

R3RUN
03-16-2006, 11:13 PM
lol i went to school with his daughter. he tried to convince my brother to only buy recycled paper because it cost less. dude is king of penny pinching.

thinkfast®
03-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Chuck Norris doesn't have conversations; he has confrontations.