PDA

View Full Version : Paint Experts? Satin Black...

speedminded
03-14-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm gonna spray a car this week and wanting to do it Satin Black...i was told you can mix black lacquer 1 to 1.5 lacquer thinner to achieve this? Anyone done it?

Bishop
03-14-2006, 01:04 PM
are you just going to prime it black? And the mix ratio is most likely going to be 1:1

speedminded
03-14-2006, 02:16 PM
are you just going to prime it black? And the mix ratio is most likely going to be 1:1no, the car is sealed already, just need to clean and spray and trying to figure out how to mix satin black. Satin black is not completly flat but it's not semi-gloss either...one of the rattle can companies make semi-flat black and another makes satin black...that's exactly what i want.

speedminded
03-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Another place said to mix the paint, reducer, and catalyst, 1:1:1 to make satin black.

Bishop
03-14-2006, 02:25 PM
oh ok. Are you going to do 1 stage(base and clear mixed)or 2 stage (base coat then spray clear)? It really depends on the brand of paint...i know Omni's mix ratio for base coat is 1:1 but house of kolors mix ratio is 2:1

speedminded
03-14-2006, 02:28 PM
oh ok. Are you going to do 1 stage(base and clear mixed)or 2 stage (base coat then spray clear)? It really depends on the brand of paint...i know Omni's mix ratio for base coat is 1:1 but house of kolors mix ratio is 2:1now if I put a clear on it isn't that gonna make it so shiney it's no longer satin black? Doing a single stage black, not flat and not gloss...just a level below semi-gloss.

speedminded
03-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Apparently PPG makes a pre-mixed Satin Black

Bishop
03-14-2006, 03:05 PM
you can buy clear that is flat or you can add a flatner to the clear to make it flat, but it wont be a true flat.

Did you find the satin black on their website?

speedminded
03-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Ok, i just need to add flattener to any gloss paint to make satin. One source says 16oz of flattener to 1 gallon of paint...that would mean 4 oz per quart.

Bishop
03-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Well if you do that what clear are you using?

this is the product sheet for ppg's omni quick clear.
The area higlighted in yellow is for the flat additive.

Bishop
03-14-2006, 03:17 PM
and this is for the omni 4+1 clear. Each clear varies.

speedminded
03-14-2006, 03:22 PM
and this is for the omni 4+1 clear. Each clear varies.Eggshell is probably a pretty close description to what we want.

ok, he picked everything up from a paint shop....got a black sealer, reducer, and the catalyst. Going to mix it all together and spray it, no clear or anything. This is what they suggested to make a coat similiar to satin black, it may not have quite the sheen as satin but it's not flat either...

Note: This isn't a permanant paint, just to blend all the body parts since it's currently differant colors and until we get it all perfect to do the BMW M3/M5 dark blue metallic (Onyx blue maybe?) that will blend relatively well with the factory metallic blue that's already on the door jambs and under the hood...

Bishop
03-14-2006, 03:28 PM
oh ok. So it already has the black sealer on it you want to put another black coat on it? Sorry you kinda confused me on that. If you aren't going to do the final paint now why dont you just do the black sealer and just leave it like that for now until you paint it?

Oh and i hate chosing colors, i'm going to start painting my teg this weekend and still havent decided on what color. Sucks.

speedminded
03-14-2006, 04:01 PM
oh ok. So it already has the black sealer on it you want to put another black coat on it? Sorry you kinda confused me on that. If you aren't going to do the final paint now why dont you just do the black sealer and just leave it like that for now until you paint it? it's a custom mixed sealer that was done a while ago but has OEM black bumpers. The wise thing would be to hold off, save up a couple hundred for the Bimmer paint and access to a real spray booth but you know how people are...they just want something asap that is differant and looks a little better than what they have now. It's fine with me bc i've been wanting to experiment with satin black so i can figure out what color i want to do my rollcage (so it blends in with my all black interior) :)

Oh and i hate chosing colors, i'm going to start painting my teg this weekend and still havent decided on what color. Sucks.What color you thinking...? What wheels and interior? I don't like silver on integra's for some reason but love charcoal/graphite...especially if you're adding carbon fiber to it.

Bishop
03-14-2006, 04:17 PM
it's a custom mixed sealer that was done a while ago but has OEM black bumpers. The wise thing would be to hold off, save up a couple hundred for the Bimmer paint and access to a real spray booth but you know how people are...they just want something asap that is differant and looks a little better than what they have now. It's fine with me bc i've been wanting to experiment with satin black so i can figure out what color i want to do my rollcage (so it blends in with my all black interior) :)

What color you thinking...? What wheels and interior? I don't like silver on integra's for some reason but love charcoal/graphite...especially if you're adding carbon fiber to it.
So the satin black pre-mixed by ppg is that just the base coat? If so, would you be putting the clear on it too even though its just temporary?

I have thought about a brandywine candy(dark red)...a darker orange (not like imola, a bit darker) I have fat 5's right now that were painted black but i am planning on re-doing them bronze. Interior is stripped from front seats back and painted flat black. I am going to be getting a 6pt. roll cage in this year sometime wich will also be painted flat black. My seats i will get will be black and i plan on getting black carpet too. Door panels are black with those kinda dark greyish inserts. As it sits right now, seats are the greyish color and same with carpet, everything else is black. This is the orange (or alittle darker) i want but i dont know the paint code...

Bishop
03-14-2006, 04:20 PM
i like these...

speedminded
03-14-2006, 04:20 PM
If i was to start over this is what i would go with...

Nimbus Grey from the Audi TT (maybe other models too) then a CF trunk and hood with an old school panasport/superlite style wheel (Konig Rewind) in gold or bronze.

speedminded
03-14-2006, 04:27 PM
I think the copper colors is gonna get boring soon, it's a beautiful color but may be a fad thing...alot of the old school colors have come back though. Like taking a champagne or silver and adding a slight tint of color to it...green, etc. Colors like that contrast perfectly with bronze, charcoal, or silver wheels.

That charcoal one is hot with the carbon fiber, not too wild about the shaved handles or the wheels though. (is it local? i wanna see that cage..)

oh, and don't do the two tone with the black on top...por favor...unless it's an NSX ;)

Bishop
03-14-2006, 04:28 PM
I just checked the audi website and they only had a light grey. I wont be getting a CF hatch cause i already have a jdm hatch and i just want to paint it and then spend moeny on the engine. what sucks is that i have to buy the paint on thursday cause i am leaving friday to go paint it and i have a discount up here at this paint store.

speedminded
03-14-2006, 04:30 PM
I just checked the audi website and they only had a light grey. I wont be getting a CF hatch cause i already have a jdm hatch and i just want to paint it and then spend moeny on the engine. what sucks is that i have to buy the paint on thursday cause i am leaving friday to go paint it and i have a discount up here at this paint store.aviator grey is hot too...it's just like the grey sealer with a little bit of fine metallic in it...

Nimbus Grey...
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=nimbus%20grey%20tt&sa=N&tab=wi

Aviator Grey
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=Aviator+Grey+TT&btnG=Search

Bishop
03-14-2006, 04:34 PM
That charcoal one is hot with the carbon fiber, not too wild about the shaved handles or the wheels though. (is it local? i wanna see that cage..)

oh, and don't do the two tone with the black on top...por favor...unless it's an NSX ;)
LOL, nah i wouldnt do the 2 tone. I was just talking about the orange i liked. And the charcoal one, same thing lol. The CF goes great with it. Its not local, i found it on Honda Tech. Its in Cali.

Bishop
03-14-2006, 04:37 PM
do you know what cage you are going to get? Are you going to do bolt in or weld in? 6pt?

i4_garage
03-14-2006, 06:16 PM
I have thought about a brandywine candy(dark red)...a darker orange (not like imola, a bit darker) I have fat 5's right now that were painted black but i am planning on re-doing them bronze. Interior is stripped from front seats back and painted flat black. I am going to be getting a 6pt. roll cage in this year sometime wich will also be painted flat black. My seats i will get will be black and i plan on getting black carpet too. Door panels are black with those kinda dark greyish inserts. As it sits right now, seats are the greyish color and same with carpet, everything else is black. This is the orange (or alittle darker) i want but i dont know the paint code...[/QUOTE]

my civic used to be that color....but i had to do a 5 base coat .....2 yellow...and 3 of the actual brandywine paint color to achieve that tint.... :goodjob:

speedminded
03-14-2006, 07:07 PM
do you know what cage you are going to get? Are you going to do bolt in or weld in? 6pt?...got an art morrison weld-in i've had for 2 years. It's a 6 point but i'm just keeping the hoop and modifying the 2 rear bars to fit differantly (scca legal) and the fronts haven't decided yet...thinking about going over the top and down the pillar through the vents in the dash.

Bishop
03-14-2006, 07:55 PM
my civic used to be that color....but i had to do a 5 base coat .....2 yellow...and 3 of the actual brandywine paint color to achieve that tint.... :goodjob:
lol i was thinking about painting it a branywine candy OR A Darker orange. Sorry forgot the OR A.

Bishop
03-15-2006, 01:03 PM
...got an art morrison weld-in i've had for 2 years. It's a 6 point but i'm just keeping the hoop and modifying the 2 rear bars to fit differantly (scca legal) and the fronts haven't decided yet...thinking about going over the top and down the pillar through the vents in the dash.
ah ok...i;ve been looking at the s&w 8 point. pretty cheap and have heard some good things about it.