PDA

View Full Version : Architect Wanted [Commercial]

speedminded
03-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Anyone know of an excellant local architect capable of fullfilling the typical duties required for completing a full set of commercial/retail construction plans that meet the site's county and/or city codes, both standalone buildings and strip centers (4k-10k sq. ft.)?

A.P. Photography
03-14-2006, 08:34 AM
What are you getting into now Jason?

speedminded
03-14-2006, 08:42 AM
What are you getting into now Jason?lol, more like getting out of...our current local architect is a complete moron and we are needing someone new that is capable of the average architects duties.

A.P. Photography
03-14-2006, 08:46 AM
lol, more like getting out of...our current local architect is a complete moron and we are needing someone new that is capable of the average architects duties.
Ahhh got ya. Yeah we have two out in Cali that are complete morons, have no idea how they got their license.

speedminded
03-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Ahhh got ya. Yeah we have two out in Cali that are complete morons, have no idea how they got their license.We have over 1,300 stores and are building nearly, if not more, than 200 stores a year. I deal with alot of architects all over the country and not one has any problems with our plans, they will gladly research the local codes for the site and make any necessary changes before stamping them, usually for less money! This particular local firm that does all our corporate Georgia locations and sometimes surrounding states, for several years now, has suddenly acquired the attitude and reasoning of a women on her period.

A.P. Photography
03-14-2006, 09:11 AM
We have over 1,300 stores and are building nearly, if not more, than 200 stores a year. I deal with alot of architects all over the country and not one has any problems with our plans, they will gladly research the local codes for the site and make any necessary changes before stamping them, usually for less money! This particular local firm that does all our corporate Georgia locations and sometimes surrounding states, for several years now, has suddenly acquired the attitude and reasoning of a women on her period.
LOL, ah yes. Got to love when they do that.

Ninety Four
03-14-2006, 09:12 AM
What company are you creating a development for?

speedminded
03-14-2006, 09:26 AM
LOL, ah yes. Got to love when they do that.It would be one thing if they wanted more money but as far as i know, not being in the entire office politic bs scene, they haven't requested that. It's just each job the last 6 or so have gotten worse and worse where they don't want to do the things they have been getting paid to do for years.

What company are you creating a development for?I do the store planning & design for 2 differant companies but sometimes they are combo stores, one building containing both. I'd rather not realease the names ;)

Ninety Four
03-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Just curious what company this is that's expanting so rapidly. Is it public? What type of goods do they sell?

speedminded
03-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Just curious what company this is that's expanting so rapidly. Is it public? What type of goods do they sell?"rent/lease to own" ...just another place where they're happy to rip you a new one but at least you get what you want ;) One company is furniture, appliances, computers, etc. and the other is "lease to own" wheels, tires, & accessories.

Ninety Four
03-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Gotcha. :)

allstate45
03-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Anyone know of an excellant local architect capable of fullfilling the typical duties required for completing a full set of commercial/retail construction plans that meet the site's county and/or city codes, both standalone buildings and strip centers (4k-10k sq. ft.)?

My teacher just started up a design company a couple of mouths ago. I can give you his contact info if still interested.

speedminded
03-20-2006, 06:02 AM
My teacher just started up a design company a couple of mouths ago. I can give you his contact info if still interested.If he is a registered architect, yes...and can handle a substantial work load.

allstate45
03-20-2006, 07:42 AM
If he is a registered architect, yes...and can handle a substantial work load.

Company Apple Design Company
Name Kenneth Apple
Number 770-475-8199

Let him know that you were refered by Cori.

Danny
03-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey jason, forgive me, Im a little under the weather and a bit out of it today. But you are looking for a firm to hire for you architectural needs, correct? Your are NOT looking to hire a in house architect for your firm?

We can handle basically anything you may need. Our main client right now is Kroger, along with various churches, high end residential, Lockheed Martin in the past, Quest Laboratories ect ect ect.. We are licensed in many states, including GA, and have done work nationwide. Check the site, and give the office a call if your company would like to set up a meeting.

http://www.idiarchitects.com/

speedminded
03-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey jason, forgive me, Im a little under the weather and a bit out of it today. But you are looking for a firm to hire for you architectural needs, correct? Your are NOT looking to hire a in house architect for your firm?

We can handle basically anything you may need. Our main client right now is Kroger, along with various churches, high end residential, Lockheed Martin in the past, Quest Laboratories ect ect ect.. We are licensed in many states, including GA, and have done work nationwide. Check the site, and give the office a call if your company would like to set up a meeting.

http://www.idiarchitects.com/That my friend, is exactly who i'm looking for. I will pass this information on to my supervisor and vice president and see from there :goodjob:

oh, quick correction on your website's staff page...i believe under J.B Cobb Engineering's client's it should be Beech Aircraft Corporation, not Beach :)

Danny
03-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks, i havent updated the site for a while. And my engineer wrote that, soo i would think he could spell. But i agree. Beech Aircraft doesnt have a "a" in it.

Tell you supervisor to speak with Larry Kay / President

What kind of strip centers do you do, any examples?

speedminded
03-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks, i havent updated the site for a while. And my engineer wrote that, soo i would think he could spell. But i agree. Beech Aircraft doesnt have a "a" in it.

Tell you supervisor to speak with Larry Kay / President

What kind of strip centers do you do, any examples?Not developing of strip center's but retail build-out of either or sometimes both of our stores. Recently started taking a larger space and dividing it to incorporate both companies side by side.

I've attached the base file in PDF form of the last combo store i did...

Danny
03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
ok thats neat. Jason, is that PDF similar to the document you would provide to the architect. You basically do the schematic design, and your architect takes that base document and creates a set of working construction documents. Is that basically the process im picking up on here? Also, just wondering what is the work load like for your architects. (est. stores per yr, for the said position). You manage to fit alot into that extremly small space. Good job ;)

speedminded
03-20-2006, 01:35 PM
ok thats neat. Jason, is that PDF similar to the document you would provide to the architect. You basically do the schematic design, and your architect takes that base document and creates a set of working construction documents. Is that basically the process im picking up on here? Also, just wondering what is the work load like for your architects. (est. stores per yr, for the said position). You manage to fit alot into that extremly small space. Good job ;)I do everything in AutoCAD 2000 or 2005 if needed (i can not stand '05...it's slow and makes me feel like throwing the computer bc it can't keep up with my commands)

I have 8 to 10 "D" sheets, dependant upon needing the demolition and/or exterior elevation plans or not. What I showed you is a sample base file that I would xref into 4 or 5 of the sheets: Dimension, Electrical, Finish, Life Safety, and sometimes Demolition Plan with the layers hidden accordingly setup through the layers manager [lman]. If we are building a soffit, not shown in that example, then i will also include a Partial Reflected Ceiling Plan that shows the new ceiling grid & lighting behind the soffit in the electronics and appliance area.

That example I attached is rare because both spaces share the same restrooms & "storage" area (i mean "clearance" area ;) ...I always avoid calling those back roooms storage or warehouse to prevent alot of headache down the road :) )

Danny
03-20-2006, 01:56 PM
i daily use 2006 ADT. No problems here. More stable than 2000 based IMO.

Sounds like you have a near complete set of C.D.'s... That you need reviewed, revised, and stampted. Correct?

Good luck with your hunt, give us a call whenever you like.

speedminded
03-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Sounds like you have a near complete set of C.D.'s... That you need reviewed, revised, and stampted. Correct?Precisely... waiting to discuss this with my supervisor.

devinwebb907
03-20-2006, 02:42 PM
i can make all the plans you could possibly need on autocad/datacad/architectual desktop/a few others, but im not licensed and im probably a little young for what you may want to deal with. but after taking 8 semester classes of drafting in high school i could pretty much be an architect if i had any desire, but im burnt out on it. send me a pm if you are interested otherwise...oh well.

Danny
03-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Jason said he needs a licensed architect. "Architects" with 4yr degrees and 5 years experience are barley functioning "architects", most of which arnt true licensed architects.

i can make all the plans you could possibly need on autocad/datacad/architectual desktop/a few others, but im not licensed and im probably a little young for what you may want to deal with. but after taking 8 semester classes of drafting in high school i could pretty much be an architect if i had any desire, but im burnt out on it. send me a pm if you are interested otherwise...oh well.

speedminded
03-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Jason said he needs a licensed architect. "Architects" with 4yr degrees and 5 years experience are barley functioning "architects", most of which arnt true licensed architects.There is also a big differance between someone with all the education in the world and no work experience vs. someone with fulltime architectural, store planning, & retail design experience working with registered architects & construction managers with deadlines that are next to impossible to meet not including dealing with and fixing the usual uncontrollable problems that arise on nearly every job :2cents:

It's a pain in the ass to get a start, even sometimes for people fresh out of college because employer's sometimes want experience more than education.

Danny
03-20-2006, 04:17 PM
There is also a big differance between someone with all the education in the world and no work experience vs. someone with fulltime architectural, store planning, & retail design experience working with registered architects & construction managers with deadlines that are next to impossible to meet not including dealing with and fixing the usual uncontrollable problems that arise on nearly every job :2cents:

It's a pain in the ass to get a start, even sometimes for people fresh out of college because employer's sometimes want experience more than education.

true, its a case by case basis. Our company has interview younger "educated" people. But they couldnt tell you how to litterly construct a wall if thier life depended on. Well, most educated and 'older' individuals cant either. Good ones are extremly rare.

speedminded
03-20-2006, 04:42 PM
true, its a case by case basis. Our company has interview younger "educated" people. But they couldnt tell you how to litterly construct a wall if thier life depended on. Well, most educated and 'older' individuals cant either. Good ones are extremly rare.lol, I'm kinda a rare breed...4 years civil engineering & surveying experience, landscaping design [plus the labor], and [manual labor] residential and commercial construction experience turned architectural...i'd say the civil end was one of the most beneficial learning exeriences but i got bored designing septic systems and subdivisions.

I'd like to move forward architecturally but i think working with a current architect and implementing my personal designs and idea's with their education and stamp would net me just as much profit without the years and years needed to become registered myself...but who know's. I'll just continue working for the man and doing my own thing on the side until it takes over and i'll be writing my own check :)

Danny
03-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Jason, i wasnt bashing you at all. It was a general statement directed at no one. so dont get me wrong.

IM not sure if i agree with you saying that you becoming a regestered arch. wouldnt net you any more profit. I would tend to say that is false. Just because you cant own your own practice w/o being regestered. good luck man.. keep me updated... cya

devinwebb907
03-20-2006, 07:26 PM
i just thuoght i would throw that out because i would be alot cheaper, but its okay i understand if you guys want someone licensed and what not.

Danny
03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
If i understand correctly from Jasons above comments, not only does thier firm want a licesened architect, but they NEED one. Devin, who stamps and signs your C.D.s? ..just out of curosity ;)

speedminded
03-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Jason, i wasnt bashing you at all. It was a general statement directed at no one. so dont get me wrong.

IM not sure if i agree with you saying that you becoming a regestered arch. wouldnt net you any more profit. I would tend to say that is false. Just because you cant own your own practice w/o being regestered. good luck man.. keep me updated... cyaoh, i knew you weren't, didn't even occur to me....i was basically taking the long way of saying i have alot more experience than education, that's what got me my current position when they required a BA and fulltime work experience. That was the point i was trying to get across to devinwebb907.

i just thuoght i would throw that out because i would be alot cheaper, but its okay i understand if you guys want someone licensed and what not.We don't need design work or plans drawn, that's what I and two girls do...we need an A.I.A. to review, make revisions to meet local code requirements, and to stamp the C.D.'s for permitting and buildout. Post a brief list of completed projects that have been built, i'm curious...

Danny
03-21-2006, 09:35 AM
. Post a brief list of completed projects that have been built, i'm curious...

you talking to me? becuase that info is avail. on our website. :D i imagine you are talking to the other guy?

Danny
03-21-2006, 09:39 AM
oppsss sorry, just saw that u had quoted him in ur last post. sorry.

**back to work :( **

Vteckidd
03-21-2006, 11:22 AM
PM MLEACH, hes a good friend of mine and a awesome architect