PDA

View Full Version : SCCA SOLO question

99SI
03-10-2006, 10:06 AM
What is the minimum requirement for a helmet to compete in the solo events? I have been wanting to autocross for quite a while and have never gotten the chance. I plan on making some time soon to get involved. I looked on the SCCA website but could not find anything about the helmet requirements. I would rather go ahead and buy my own than borrow. Thanks for the help.

99SI
03-10-2006, 11:05 AM
bump for a possible answer. If anyone knows who is into Solo that I may could PM that would be appreciated as well.

HiPSI
03-10-2006, 12:30 PM
i believe they only require a snell95 rating or newer. anything you buy now will be Snell2000 or better so you'll be fine with pretty much anything. they do accept M ratings (motorcycle) as well as SA (automotive) helmets.

99SI
03-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the help. That is what I was looking for. I didn't want to go buy a $300 helmet if i didn't have to. Thanks again, Michael.

Sport1.3
03-10-2006, 08:49 PM
honestly ive been Auto-xin for almost 3 years and they have not once checked my helmet. they also provide helmets at the events. you should look on the Soloatlanta.com forum boards. they ahve an event at Gwinnett Fairgrounds next weekend to kick the season off. come out and have fun

99SI
03-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I was trying to register for the March 19 event and it says that I have to choose a class to register for. I have no clue what class my car would be in. I have had extensive modifications to most aspects of the car. Any idea what class I should put down? Thanks again for the help fellas.

2.0civic
03-10-2006, 11:49 PM
man, not to rob a thread, i wanted to do SCCA but all the licensing stuff is unclear and contradicting to itself. anyone have any definative info on it?

Sport1.3
03-11-2006, 01:50 AM
99SI: First off what kinda car do you have? what have you done to it? its actually pretty easy to figure out. im guessing from your name its a 99 civic SI right. with any minor mods that would put you in STS (street touring), from what the figure on the motor on the bottom of your sig say id guess your pretty modded out, which would probably put you in SM (street modified). for you first event though, i would suggest you register under Novice. they put you in a class of beginners where your times arent PAX'd against all the other driver and its all fun, and no worries. also you get special instruction time and a guide for the course walk (really benificial your first time out even though its seems kinda dorky) also some of the pro/advanced drivers will be there to guide you and give you ride alongs, even ride with you to show you what you could work on to improve times. hell i still do that. plus the more you get yourself involved the more you'll meet ppl and only get better. one word of advice before you go out man, your not as good a driver as you think!! (believe me its an ego killer at first, but damn is it addictive) "slow in fast out"

B18: what do you mean you dont understand the licensing?

HiPSI
03-11-2006, 11:01 AM
man, not to rob a thread, i wanted to do SCCA but all the licensing stuff is unclear and contradicting to itself. anyone have any definative info on it?

what form of SCCA racing are you wanting to do?

99SI
03-11-2006, 11:34 AM
After I put my post on last night about what class to run I went back and found the answer to my question on the soloatlanta site. I completely blew right over the novice faq section. I got signed up last night and should be ready to go. I sent an email to the novice chief and he responded and told me I would probably be in Street Mod later on. I have cams/valvetrain/diff/coilovers/obd2-obd1 conversion/no cat, so I have done quite a bit. I'm still at stock displacement of 1.6l but otherwise pretty much everything has been tweaked. I'm really looking forward to coming out and seeing what I can do. Thanks for everyones help. See you out there.

Sport1.3
03-11-2006, 01:14 PM
there you go. your gonna love it. now lets pray it doesnt rain

99SI
03-11-2006, 06:19 PM
I just ordered a G-Racing helmet from Racers Wholesale a few minutes ago. I went to Summit this afternoon and got some stuff to freshen up my ride a bit. Some Royal Purple oil, Redline A/T fluid, and Wilwood Dot 5 brake fluid. I'm fired up and ready for next weekend, rain be damned. :D

Sport1.3
03-11-2006, 06:58 PM
r u running any type of Harness or racing seats? bolstering is a huge plus. keeps you from having to hold your weight off the door lol. also make sure your muffler isnt too loud. 93-95 DB is the loudest they allow at Gwinnett fairgrounds. if you DNF on sound twice you are disqualified. they have machines measuring Exhaust DB's on the track. if you have a REALLY loud, high pitched exhaust note tell me and i can hlp you to rig a system to get by the meter. would be a shame to pay $35 to get disqualified for the day. ive seen plenty of hondas and subarus kicked off track for going 1db over the limit.

99SI
03-12-2006, 04:27 PM
^^^That (dB) was my biggest concern when I read it on the website. My exhaust is pretty loud, especially when I'm up in the 9K-9500 rpm range. I have a Header back 2.5 exhaust with a magnaflow straight through resonator and muffler. I was going to see if maybe there were any tricks to getting by the dirty dB meter! I really don't think that I will be under 95db. I haven't had any problems with getting pulled over for it but I think that is more to do with luck than anything. My cell number is 478-288-0266 if you feel like giving me a buzz and letting me know what I can do other than putting a stock type exhaust on. I do not have a harness, cg lock, or aftermarket seats. I really want to do some seats but I'm not a small fella and I don't fit in most of them. I am 6'3" and 240lbs. I'll just have to brace my legs against the door. I ran the road they did the SCCA Crow Mountain Hill Climb at, my girlfriend and I worked the event. I ran it pretty much full out and the moving around in an unsupportive seat was the toughest part of the whole thing. Thanks a bunch for all your help.

Sport1.3
03-12-2006, 10:24 PM
no prob man ill give you a call tomorrow and we'll get something to fix it. you'll just have to make a trip to home depot, and get some pipe bends and mechanics wire. if you can angle it away from the sensor then your gravy!! i had to do it on my 03 protege that was running a Turbonetics turbo kit, with a 2.5" turbo back no resonator no muffler (believe me it was hella loud) also pretty much all the highly tuned honda and subaru guys have to do it as well.

HiPSI
03-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I really don't think that I will be under 95db. I haven't had any problems with getting pulled over for it but I think that is more to do with luck than anything. I do not have a harness, cg lock, or aftermarket seats. I really want to do some seats but I'm not a small fella and I don't fit in most of them. I am 6'3" and 240lbs. I'll just have to brace my legs against the door.

how often do you think you'll be revving 9k rpm on an auto-x course? it'll be really hard to keep the revs that high with as tight as the courses tend to be. the easiest method i've seen for keeping the sound levels happier is to run a turn down straight down at the ground (like most of the IT classed RX7's do).

as for the seat, i'm 6' ~220. i use a sparco speed and it was a little tight at first. a little work with a bottle jack and a couple blocks of wood between the side rails and i drop into it like a glove (i could get into it at first but it was horribly tight, but i gained about .5" by tweaking it and it made a world of difference). a good seat will improve your driving greatly so i'd recommend looking into it. there's a lot to do to get around the course fast and if you're bracing yourself you'll lose a ton of time.

Sport1.3
03-13-2006, 01:44 PM
^exaclty. luckly my seats have AWESOME bolster from the factory and being that im in a almost completely stock class it works out pefect( plus i have a 5 point harness), also im 5'6 145lbs lol. neither of you would even fit in my car being so tall haha. and those turn downs can be made with a 90* bent pipe that fits into the current muffler tip and some mechanics wire to hang it on the stock hangers( its cheap and easy )

99SI
03-13-2006, 03:06 PM
As far as hitting 9K+ I don't know how often I would be doing it. My car is loud regardless of RPM at WOT. I nearly cleared the room at the MSP dyno day the last time. I have a very low (high number) final drive which allows me to stay up top quite a bit. I would say the top of 1st at 9500 is only 35mph give or take. My speedo doesn't work so I'm just guessing. lol. I was very close to snagging a pair of seats from a Del Slo that I repossessed, they weren't n very good shape but they have much better bolstering than the stock Si seats. I ended up selling it before I got around to robbing it. I was looking on racer wholesale and was thinking about getting one of the light aluminum fixed seats just to use when I go racing. Some of the more plain aluminum seats can be had for $175 for what looks to be a pretty good seat.

99SI
03-13-2006, 03:20 PM
This was the seat that caught my eye. It's for "Big Boy's" like me! :eye: I'm sure it wouldn't compare to a Sparco, Momo, Cobra, etc. but for a seat just to race in and take out when done it doesn't seem too bad. Expense is a big factor at this point in time for me as well.

Sport1.3
03-13-2006, 06:03 PM
well and you would have to make sure they came with frame rails which i doubt. those usually have to be welded in. if the do have rails then i would get them. ive sat in some ultra shield seats in a miata and they werent very comfortable but held me very well.

Sport1.3
03-14-2006, 12:26 AM
heres a cheap part that will quite down your exhaust and probably if ordered tomorrow will make it to you be sunday.

http://soloatlanta.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1114

Sport1.3
03-14-2006, 12:26 AM
i also made a page in the events section for event information and talk. im trying to get it sticky'd

99SI
03-14-2006, 11:32 AM
I saw that about the cones the other day when I was on the soloatlanta forums. I can swing by summit they should have them in stock. I looked in the catalog at them yesterday after seeing that thread. I don't know how much they will quiet it down but it is worth a shot. The only thing with the disc insert is that it has to be welded in according to the info in Summit. They also are supposed to go into the collector on the header. I was by summit this morning getting a new AEM dry flow filter and didn't even think about checking on that part. As far as the ultra shield seat, I'm sure it is not very comfy but like i say if I can use it just for running and take it out for daily driving I think I could deal with it. Especially if it is as supportive as it looks. I will check into the rails if I decide to get it. I think I'm going to run this first one and decide from there how in depth I want to go for SCCA. I'm sure I'll be hooked!

mnjh94
03-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Hey, where I can measure my loudness before I go to the Fairground?

Sport1.3
03-15-2006, 11:38 PM
no where i know of. but if your car sounds too loud then your probably right. time to go to home depot

Green Turd KLZE
03-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Danny, you got a new Car? That is cool. I have been out of touch a lot but I am thinking about signing up for sunday the chance of rain has reduced to 40% but I am sure that it is still gonna rain. As for the Home Depot mod...give me a call. I got a sound warning last time and want to be safe this time. 770-789-8935.

Sport1.3
03-17-2006, 04:08 PM
ya i got an MKI MR2. i destroyed the protege! this car is amazing tho. you should definitly come out, at least so i can see the progress on that beast!!!

Green Turd KLZE
03-20-2006, 08:09 AM
DAMMIT! I was betting on the rain being fierce and yall didn't get a drop.

I instead slept in and worked more on an engine rebuild project that I have going. I bought a 1995 Mazda Millenia S with a supercharged 2.3L Miller Cycle KJ engine. I finally got the heart out of the beast and it looks like it might fit in an Mx-3 with a little modification to things like engine mounts, and custom axles. I know that the mx-3 manual transmission bolts right on. That has me thinking. In the mean time, I will continue to rock the KLZE and ponder on what to do with the KJ.

HAHA, I love this picture. Tell them how you really feel Danny. I can't figure out if you meant to do it or not, but it is still funny.
http://www.redlineautoclub.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/Autoxdanny.jpg

ShogunStylez
03-20-2006, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=Green Turd KLZE]DAMMIT! I was betting on the rain being fierce and yall didn't get a drop.

I instead slept in and worked more on an engine rebuild project that I have going. I bought a 1995 Mazda Millenia S with a supercharged 2.3L Miller Cycle KJ engine. I finally got the heart out of the beast and it looks like it might fit in an Mx-3 with a little modification to things like engine mounts, and custom axles. I know that the mx-3 manual transmission bolts right on. That has me thinking. In the mean time, I will continue to rock the KLZE and ponder on what to do with the KJ.
QUOTE]

Yea I thought it was gonna pour too, i still went and the weather wasn't all that bad. The turnout was awsome too. but at least you got some good work done.

99SI
03-20-2006, 02:14 PM
even with the home depot turndown I got hit for sound, 97.1 db. lol. I am going to just go buy a supertrapp and be done with it. I had a really good time though and will definately be at the next one. I tried to call Danny when I got there and left a message but didn't ever find you. I met some really nice people and got a few tips as well.

Sport1.3
03-20-2006, 07:17 PM
micheal if you want you can have the supertrapp off my car if it will fit. i want to get rid of it. ya sorry i didnt call you back i was tearing thru the MR2 to try and get it to start. im definitly making it to the next event. starting out last in ES sucks, im going to have to drive my balls off to get anywhere up in the points.

99SI
03-20-2006, 07:53 PM
It's no big deal man, I understand completely. I would love to get your supertrapp and I will gladly pay you a fair price for it. I would need a 2.5" inlet is the only thing, if yours is 2.5 then consider it mine. Out of curiosity why are you getting rid of it? I was wondering just how much power would be lost with it. I guess that it is a non issue since if I'm too loud I can't run but I would like to at least maximize the power that I have. Especially up top where restrictions can really come into play. I'm making peak horsepower at 9300 RPM's so I still need to be able to play up there with some power. I'm glad you got your car fixed man. I'll definately see you out there next week. Also if you ever need any Toyota factory parts let me know. I am in good with a Toyota dealer and since I have a car lot I get shop prices on parts. Just let me know and I should be able to get it for you.

Sport1.3
03-20-2006, 10:47 PM
sweet thanx. nah mine is 2 1/4 bummer. i wanna get rid of it because its welded to my stock pipe and is annoying on the freeway. im buying a Border racing Exhaust for my MR2 and have to get rid of it. E-stock rules this year allow for a ful cat-back!! so bye bye supertrapp. it does increase the low end torque quite a bit though and ive seen tones of honda challenge cars with them so i doubt it would slow your engine down that much

99SI
03-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks man, keep an eye out for two 15x6.5 or 15x7 with a 4x100 bp. I'm looking for some cheap wheels that I can put some R compounds on to run up front so I don't destroy my dd tires. The rears barely got hot but the front looked like chewed on bubble gum. I'll probably just go with some Toyo RA-1's so I don't make tooo much of a difference from front to rear. Someone said the rear end would be uncontrollable with Hoosiers or Ecsta 710's on front and street T1-r's on the rear.

RX8volution
03-29-2006, 10:42 PM
honestly ive been Auto-xin for almost 3 years and they have not once checked my helmet. they also provide helmets at the events. you should look on the Soloatlanta.com forum boards. they ahve an event at Gwinnett Fairgrounds next weekend to kick the season off. come out and have fun

Man, that day was such a start to the first event of the year. That Vette nailed that timing box, poor girl!... Anyway - the STi on slicks was intense, go Stompy. I've got a crapload of pictures, I'll be posting them when I get back in town on Saturday at www.boundariez.com/photos, look for it there.

Later Auto-Cross freaks!!

Sport1.3
04-04-2006, 01:04 PM
the mr2 is up and runnin like a champ now and i got rid of the fog lights. they somehow were coming on when the car was off and killing the battery. plus they looked like asshole. i cant wait for the next event, im already registered.

99SI
04-04-2006, 02:56 PM
I registered last night. I went ahead and signed up for SM and got a permanent number for the season. My car, being a true NA streetcar on STREET TIRES will be totally outgunned in the class. Oh well, I just want to get better and see how I do. Danny are you registered in morning or afternoon session? I'm in the a.m.

Sport1.3
04-04-2006, 03:02 PM
am....i want the cooler track temp. ES is usually the first up

99SI
04-04-2006, 03:09 PM
good deal. I don't have to worry about my exhaust this time so I can cut it loose! I still have to try to find some R compounds that I can get, with wheels to mount them on that won't cost me $1,000.

Sport1.3
04-04-2006, 03:38 PM
try some of the SCCA take off piles. they should have tires in your sizing all over the place and for almost nothing. they are used but not too much and can be used for several sessions. im actually trying to find a set for my stock 14's or possibly a set of miata BBS mesh 15's. my friend keven got a set of 4 tires (hoosiers r comps) for $85!!!
ill try and find the place for ya. my suggestion for SM and FWD would be running 15' wheels with 225/50-55/15's on the front and 195/45-50/15's on the front. or if money allows run the same tire size but use a 16' wheel in the rear for a stiffer rear. this set up will allow the car to rotate perfectly and will make it a monster in the slalom. it will also give you awesome grip powering thru and out of a corner.

99SI
04-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Right now, I am running 15x6.5 Konig Heliums with 205/50/15 Toyo T1R tires. I wanted to go with a 225/45/15 R compound with a 15x6.5 or 15x7 wheel but just don't have the cash to get it done. I could swing the wheels probably but the damn tires are going to be 600+ for four. Let me know where I can inquire about the used tires you mentioned. I found a few places that had ads in GRM that said they had used tires but the selection was smallllllllll. Very few 15"'s, mostly 13,14,17,18. They skip 15 and 16. lol. I found a place where I can get the Konig Minuz wheel, which is an update to the helium(same weight) but a split five spoke in a flat black for around 350 shipped. I'm just going to have to do it as I can, I'll get there eventually. Hopefully once I get through my real estate license and get into a job I'll be making a bit more money and can get some things to help get me a little more competitive.

Green Turd KLZE
04-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Alrighty...I am signed up to run in SM and by this event I should have my Ground Controll Coilovers and upgraded struts installed. I am really looking forward to it.

99SI. I think that you and I will match up pretty well. You show 173 Hp...I would assume that your torque is in the 130 Range? I put down 160 WHp and 153 ft-lbs torque. Do you have any suspension modifications? I am looking forward to running similar times as someone so that I can feel like I am competing since I know I am not going to be up there with the front runners.

Sport1.3
04-07-2006, 09:27 AM
^id be lucky to be in the triple digits for either Hp/tq lol. im also competing in one of the hardest classes (ES) against 2ng gen MR2's(will own me), Miata's(im out classed there), and FC/FB rx-7s(wont give me much trouble). i cant wait till the event im trying desperatly to get some fresh tires. my r comps are GONE and i low on funds so we'll see

99SI
04-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Alrighty...I am signed up to run in SM and by this event I should have my Ground Controll Coilovers and upgraded struts installed. I am really looking forward to it.

99SI. I think that you and I will match up pretty well. You show 173 Hp...I would assume that your torque is in the 130 Range? I put down 160 WHp and 153 ft-lbs torque. Do you have any suspension modifications? I am looking forward to running similar times as someone so that I can feel like I am competing since I know I am not going to be up there with the front runners.
I'll try not to lol too hard at your assumption of my torque since you are a mazda man. Hold on, lol. I'm just messing with you. No, I am no where near 130 on torque. I am running the stock b16 block/head, just filled with some goodies. I decided not to even try making torque when we did my build since about the most you could see from a 1.6 NA would be 115-120. I have omnipower full coilovers, suspension techniques rear sway bar, NRG engine dampener, that's about the extent of suspension mods. I have a very good autox gearing, lsd, and the ability to run at 9500 rpms so I can stay in my power band very well. Now, it's just about having the confidence to drive aggressively and smoothly. And hopefully being able to get some r compounds sometime soon. I look forward to seeing you out there. I'll be in the blue civic SM46, morning session. :yay:

Green Turd KLZE
04-07-2006, 03:18 PM
You are right that I don't know a ton about Honda's but I was guessing based on some guys I know who drive Preludes. They had less HP than you but about 130 ft-lbs of Torque. But I guess that is an H22 though isn't it? This was his Dyno:
http://www.redlineautoclub.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/JIMMY%7E0.gif
Anyway, I look forward to seeing you out there too. I will be SM93 in a Green Mazda Mx-3 making all kinda noise just like you.

99SI
04-09-2006, 10:46 AM
LOL, Yeah a Prelude is 2.2l my car is 1.6l so quite a bit of difference in displacement and ultimately torque. The H22 was one of the highest torque engines that Honda made. My car is made from the factory to rev high, it has probably the most optimal rod/stroke ratio that you can possibly have. The B18, GSR/type R, and the B16 Si motor, had the exact same bore but the stroke is where the difference is. That short stroke and big bore is what makes it so good up top but also what negates any chance for good torque. It's the same principal with F1 style engines, they make like 700HP but 210 lb/ft torque. I figured it was best to accentuate the positives instead of worrying about trying to make another 5 lb/ft of torque that would have cost me up top. That's why I have a Type R final drive! :D Keep me in the high rpms.

Green Turd KLZE
04-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Gotcha. I am learning more about Hondas everyday, not that I really care...just you hang around them long enough you pick up on stuff. Like from your post, I just learned that B16=1.6L B18=1.8L H22=2.2L I am picking up on a pattern here. :rly: :goodjob: I guess that means that back in the day I rocked a B20? Since I know you care, here is a little Mazda Engine Education. KL=2.5L KJ= 2.3L (supercharged) KF=2.0L K8=1.8(v6) BP=1.8(4 cyl) B6=1.6

Knowledge is power brother!

99SI
04-10-2006, 11:29 AM
^^Absolutely. And 13B is 1.3l 2 rotor and 20b is 2.0l 3 rotor engine! ;) I had an 89 FC RX7 convertible. I loved that thing. I wish we had never gotten rid of it. I sell cars so I get to experience quite a few of them. I really had no idea until I got one in that the Mazda Millenia S was supercharged. I guess the S should have given it away! lol. It threw me off even more when I saw "Miller Cycle Engine" on the valve cover? Do you know the story behind that? Is Miller Cycle Engine a tuner that they contracted to build that motor? I was really surprised by it. I have learned quite a bit in the last year and a half that I have had my car. I have not really ever been into imports but decided one day that I wanted an Si and got me one. I was a blank slate when it came to knowing about Honda's. I am still learning something new all the time. Asking questions and doing your own research will usually pay off with knowledge when you are really interested in learning. Vteckidd was probably the most helpful in teaching me most of what I know. I probably annoyed the shit out of him (still do? :D) when we were planning my build. 13 days until Turner field, can't wait.

Sport1.3
04-10-2006, 01:00 PM
the miller cycle motor is a type of motor not a tuning company. it was invented by Raulph Miller. here is a link.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question132.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question122.htm&url=http://www.mazda.com.au/articleZone.asp?articleZoneID=92

was and always will ba a mazda geek. FSDET FTW wooz wooz

Green Turd KLZE
04-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Damn...I should have know that Danny would steal my thunder. If you want to learn about the 2.3L Miller Cycle engine you need to come hang out with me as I learn. I am currently re-building a 1995 Millenia S. It had a blown head gasket and the number 4 piston is cracked. I currently have it scattered all over my garage. I am trying to find a damn piston so that I can start putting it back together. The dealership wants $129.00 for one.

The cool/strange thing about the Miller Cycle is that it uses the supercharger to compress the air in the cyl. because the intake valve stays open through most of the compression stroke.

The Carnage (http://www.atlantamx3.com/moca/millenia/031606/)

A Few Pictures from CarDomain (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/743259/6)

Yeah I forgot all about those spaceship engines. Rotories are from another plannet. Since I have never worked on one, they intimidate me and I just don't want to get myself in over my head in dealing with one of them. If I ever did get one, I am sure that I would get to know it inside and out bc I hear you have to rebuild them all the damn time.

Sport1.3
04-10-2006, 03:07 PM
HAHA gotcha bitch!!

Green Turd KLZE
04-10-2006, 03:17 PM
HAHA. Just got one thing to say to you and I will let you tell yourself.

http://www.redlineautoclub.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/normal_Autoxdanny.jpg

Sport1.3
04-10-2006, 03:34 PM
ahaha OWNDEDID!!!