PDA

View Full Version : Misc For once, blame the student

C22H19N3O4
03-09-2006, 09:57 PM
A poignant OP/ED piece in USA Today.

SOURCE (http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060308/cm_usatoday/foronceblamethestudent;_ylt=Ava3wFyqqUHcA9P_IHUHZu EDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

By Patrick Welsh
Wed Mar 8, 7:08 AM ET

Failure in the classroom is often tied to lack of funding, poor teachers or other ills. Here's a thought: Maybe it's the failed work ethic of todays kids. That's what I'm seeing in my school. Until reformers see this reality, little will change.

Last month, as I averaged the second-quarter grades for my senior English classes at T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Va., the same familiar pattern leapt out at me.

Kids who had emigrated from foreign countries - such as Shewit Giovanni from Ethiopia, Farah Ali from Guyana and Edgar Awumey from Ghana - often aced every test, while many of their U.S.-born classmates from upper-class homes with highly educated parents had a string of C's and D's.

As one would expect, the middle-class American kids usually had higher SAT verbal scores than did their immigrant classmates, many of whom had only been speaking English for a few years.

What many of the American kids I taught did not have was the motivation, self-discipline or work ethic of the foreign-born kids.

Politicians and education bureaucrats can talk all they want about reform, but until the work ethic of U.S. students changes, until they are willing to put in the time and effort to master their subjects, little will change.

A study released in December by University of Pennsylvania researchers Angela Duckworth and Martin Seligman suggests that the reason so many U.S. students are "falling short of their intellectual potential" is not "inadequate teachers, boring textbooks and large class sizes" and the rest of the usual litany cited by the so-called reformers - but "their failure to exercise self-discipline."

The sad fact is that in the USA, hard work on the part of students is no longer seen as a key factor in academic success. The groundbreaking work of Harold Stevenson and a multinational team at the University of Michigan comparing attitudes of Asian and American students sounded the alarm more than a decade ago.

Asian vs. U.S. students

When asked to identify the most important factors in their performance in math, the percentage of Japanese and Taiwanese students who answered "studying hard" was twice that of American students.

American students named native intelligence, and some said the home environment. But a clear majority of U.S. students put the responsibility on their teachers. A good teacher, they said, was the determining factor in how well they did in math.

"Kids have convinced parents that it is the teacher or the system that is the problem, not their own lack of effort," says Dave Roscher, a chemistry teacher at T.C. Williams in this Washington suburb. "In my day, parents didn't listen when kids complained about teachers. We are supposed to miraculously make kids learn even though they are not working."

As my colleague Ed Cannon puts it: "Today, the teacher is supposed to be responsible for motivating the kid. If they don't learn it is supposed to be our problem, not theirs."

And, of course, busy parents guilt-ridden over the little time they spend with their kids are big subscribers to this theory.

Maybe every generation of kids has wanted to take it easy, but until the past few decades students were not allowed to get away with it. "Nowadays, it's the kids who have the power. When they don't do the work and get lower grades, they scream and yell. Parents side with the kids who pressure teachers to lower standards," says Joel Kaplan, another chemistry teacher at T.C. Williams.

Every year, I have had parents come in to argue about the grades I have given in my AP English classes. To me, my grades are far too generous; to middle-class parents, they are often an affront to their sense of entitlement. If their kids do a modicum of work, many parents expect them to get at least a B. When I have given C's or D's to bright middle-class kids who have done poor or mediocre work, some parents have accused me of destroying their children's futures.

It is not only parents, however, who are siding with students in their attempts to get out of hard work.

Blame schools, too

"Schools play into it," says psychiatrist Lawrence Brain, who counsels affluent teenagers throughout the Washington metropolitan area. "I've been amazed to see how easy it is for kids in public schools to manipulate guidance counselors to get them out of classes they don't like. They have been sent a message that they don't have to struggle to achieve if things are not perfect."

Neither the high-stakes state exams, such as Virginia's Standards of Learning, nor the requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act have succeeded in changing that message; both have turned into minimum-competency requirements aimed at the lowest in our school.

Colleges keep complaining that students are coming to them unprepared. Instead of raising admissions standards, however, they keep accepting mediocre students lest cuts have to be made in faculty and administration.

As a teacher, I don't object to the heightened standards required of educators in the No Child Left Behind law. Who among us would say we couldn't do a little better? Nonetheless, teachers have no control over student motivation and ambition, which have to come from the home - and from within each student.

Perhaps the best lesson I can pass along to my upper- and middle-class students is to merely point them in the direction of their foreign-born classmates, who can remind us all that education in America is still more a privilege than a right.

Patrick Welsh is an English teacher at T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Va., and a member of USA TODAY's board of contributors.

2.0civic
03-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Man i feel you 100%. Sometimes, yes, there might be a bad school, but if the teacher is bad there wont be any high grades. I had a teacher in 10th grade who had a 36% failure rate and during summer school, we had two sessions just for her classes and we were a 2A school...she didnt get fired bc she was pregnant lol. anyway, i agree with you though. I see this at my job everyday about work ethic where 16 yr olds bitch about 8 an hour and my first job was 5.15 but the ones bitching all have mommy and daddy supporting them. its fucked up man.

Ran
03-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Great read! As a teacher in training, I can't agree more. Kids these days aren't disciplined for sh*t and their work ethic sucks as well. They expect to get everything for free and if they don't, then they try to pass the blame to someone/something else when it's their own d*mn fault.

"Lower the class standards!"

Why? So your kid can look good but still be stupid? Yeah, okay dipsh*t.

"My kid has ADD/ADHD, it's not his/her fault!"

You're right. It's not their fault. It's your fault for not bringing them up right and disciplining them when they needed it. Now they don't pay attention to anything and blame it on some half@ss medical excuse. ADD/ADHD are nothing more than politically correct terms for "Stupid".

Okay, I'm done. Nice post man! :goodjob:

2.0civic
03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
yeah. well said. class standards arent hard. they are set easy so everyone has a chance hence the special ed all the way to ap classes. i went to three high schools and never blamed my bad grades on anyone but ill admit it. i was lazy as fuck. there. i shit. i might have ADD. let me blame someone else...

C22H19N3O4
03-15-2006, 04:00 AM
When I was living in upstate New York the school board allowed high school students to choose b/w a 4 or 5 year program. Who needs 5 years to graduate high school?
Bring back corporal punishment!!!! :bigok:

v3rd1g0
03-15-2006, 09:31 AM
This article is very true. When things get messed up in school i blame it on teachers sometimes...(10th grade) and other times i know it's my fault. Teachers obligation is to lead us on the right path... our responsibiltity is to walk along the path and work hard at what we are learning. If the teacher does not set up the path... then we are unable to follow. I'll blame the teachers for my poor grades if and only if they do not follow their teaching criteria(sp)..example being my sophmore year in high school my chem teacher decided to do the leason plans mixed up. we learned stuff out of order compared to what the county standard was.. when it came time to take the gateway test in 10th grade i could not answer the question because it was on something we had not studied at all. my failure on that test I blame on her. During class i studied exacltly what she taught. i knew all we needed to know of what she taught... but i didn't know what we hadn't been lead to. another example of when i'll blame a teacher is when they give up on the student.. my spanish 1 teacher my freshman year emailed my mom and flat out told he she had seen students like me b4 and that i'd never amount to anything.... the teacher treated me with uter disrespect(sp) the rest of the year. to shove it back in her face, the next year she was fired to sleeping with the basket ball coach on school grounds...hehe i'm sure many of you heard about the Berkmar basketball coach getting fired...after winning 2 back to back state championships... those are the times i'd blame the teachers. just about everything else is student side.

2.0civic
03-15-2006, 09:40 AM
LOL, my old pregnant physical science teacher in tenth grade told my dad i never turned in any work like projects and shit. So because buford is high standards on grades, we had a teacher parent conference with all my teachers. funny thing is, half the shit she told my dad i never turned in, yeah i took it all GRADED to the conference! She was like oh, i guess i did grade that. We used to have to keep notebooks on chapters and when she left to go have her baby, the student teacher that filled in for her was giving me make up work so i could pass, and the other missing stuff....well the student teacher found it, once again graded, in my files. So pretty much she graded my shit and never put it in the gradebook. Due to all the work being late, i got 50's on all of it, and brought my 18% (thats right!18%!) to a 63. well the bitch came back and gave us our final exam and we had all studied of a study guide she gave the student teacher, and none of that shit was on there!! i was like WTF, i memorized an entire study guide last night and none of it was on there!! I think that bitch got fired. If anyone went to Buford high between 2002-2005 and you know who i might be talking about LMK.

Sibious
03-15-2006, 12:29 PM
true