PDA

View Full Version : Help engine problems PLEASE

atlludeguy
03-07-2005, 09:20 AM
SO here is the deal. Since I got the prelude I have had to add oil to it every two weeks or so. i do drive alot and have heard that h22's need a quart every thousand miles or so. So anyways saturday night I was driving and my temp gauge went all the way hot. I stopped check the radiator and it wass empty so I got some 50/50 coolant filled it up and drove 1 mile home and parked it in my garage. The plan was on Sunday I was going to go to the closest shop which was about 2 miles and have them do a coolant system check, halfway there my CEL came on and the car just shut off. No noises or werd bumps , nothing, It shut off like I turned it off. So basically what I am asking is does the 98 prelude's have a feature that when the computer detects an imminent disaster it shuts off and will not allow you to turn it back on without whatevers wrong getting fixed? I also saw steam coming out from behind the intake manifold where I have been told some coolant lines run? Can anyone give me an idea of what happened? I know it is hard to tell without seeing it but any suggestions would be great.

Thanx ,

Sad prelude owner Ken

AtifSajid
03-07-2005, 10:06 AM
nope preludes do not have any kind of safety feature like that. you must have a serious coolant leak somewhere for the car to just shut off like that. I just sold my lude and its a 97, last week the owner of it also said that the lude just shut off randomly while driving. It never ever happened to me. So Im not sure what is wrong, but as for the oil thing. yeah we run our oil down fast so you will have to check your oil every week to make sure you are okay.

atlludeguy
03-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Was he able to start it back up afterwards? I can't it tries but will not turn over.

Trey
03-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Sounds like your motor is locked up. Time for a new one.

Pull your spark plugs and see of you can turn the crank manually to start checking.

atlludeguy
03-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Sounds like your motor is locked up. Time for a new one.

Pull your spark plugs and see of you can turn the crank manually to start checking.

That is not what I wanted to hear. Damnit. Can I rebuild it? :(

atlludeguy
03-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Can I get a new bottom end and just use my current head

I cannot afford a new motor at this point. What are my options other than a new motor. Rebuild would that cost more than a new motor. What I don't unerstand is how I paid 2450 for a j-spec h22a with lsd for my accord and a used usdm motor is 3500 without a tranny. Why is this?

99SI
03-07-2005, 11:11 AM
depends on if you bent a valve/valves. Or if you ran it hot and the head cracked or warped too far to be milled.

atlludeguy
03-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Couldn't I just get new valves. I am not a mechanic so sorry if these ???'s are stupid.

RISKYB
03-07-2005, 11:50 AM
if the engine is not locked up, then we need to know if the timing belt broke or not, its easy to check, just take the valve cover off and see if its tight or wants tto pull out then we can talk about rebuilding it

atlludeguy
03-07-2005, 11:58 AM
if the engine is not locked up, then we need to know if the timing belt broke or not, its easy to check, just take the valve cover off and see if its tight or wants tto pull out then we can talk about rebuilding it

Its at a shop right now so I can't tell you. I am just being worried. I a trying to get the worst news so that when I find out it will not be as bad.

HiPSI
03-07-2005, 12:49 PM
well, if the engine locked you'd have probably known it because of the sudden jolt it would've given on it's dying stroke. it also likely would've made some god-awful noise when it happened. when you were trying to re-start the car was the starter clicking and the lights dimming when you held the key to the start position? or was the starter solenoid not even clicking?

atlludeguy
03-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Well apparently the freaking pistons melted or something. I didn't feel a thing when it happened so I have no clue. So now I am screwed if anyone knows where I can find an used motor please let me know. Also do any otherr motors fit in a prelude. I know the h22a4's are hard to come by and also has anyone heard of this company http://www.rpmmachine.com/enginetophonda.html cause if the head is ok which I am waiting to hear about the I can get the bottom end for 775 plus shipping.

atlludeguy
03-07-2005, 02:06 PM
It was trying to turn over. Like the battery was dead. But apparently it is fried. Must have melteed together as it cooled.

The Yousef
03-07-2005, 03:07 PM
okay i found two more places ken:

SunPerformance Engines
770-986-7888

SunBelt Performance Engines (they may not have any...i think they just specialize in Mazda engines)
770-932-0160

good luck,
yousef

atlludeguy
03-07-2005, 03:57 PM
u rock but they only carry j-spec.

RISKYB
03-07-2005, 05:03 PM
i would wait and see what the repair shop says first it might be a less expensive problem

The Yousef
03-07-2005, 08:31 PM
u rock but they only carry j-spec.

i was talking to one of my buddies and said the emissions standards in the japan are more strict then the US and you shouldn't have any problems....

93H22ACX
04-29-2005, 07:16 AM
i'll buy the blown motor from you... if its repairable :goodjob:

AtifSajid
04-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Hey man check www.preludeonline.com they always have tons of stuff for H22A4 on there.