PDA

View Full Version : FDNY Tribute Bike

redgst97
03-07-2006, 09:58 PM
I am not too sure if you know what our friend Alex has been up to the past few days....

As written by Nico:

"A good friend of mine, who happens to be a senior member of the International Allstars, created a design for a bike in tribute to the 343 firefighters lost in the tragedy of 9/11. And just in case you were wondering, he had the idea and plans for the bike before Orange County Choppers did their Fire Fighter chopper bike, which is also an extraordinary piece of art by the way. Following the suggestion of another Allstar's team member, Carlos Avelar, Alex decided to trailer the bike from Atlanta, GA to New York to have firemen from 3 different houses view and ultimately sign the bike, since for him he saw no bigger honor than presenting it to them as a small token of his appreciation for their sacrifices.

I had the honor of joining Alex on this journey and it's my distinct pleasure to share with you some of the pictures that we took at each house. The houses we visited were Squad 1 of Brooklyn, NY; Ladder 148 of Brooklyn, NY; and 10 Truck of Manhattan, literally 10 feet from Ground Zero on Liberty Street. Alex chose these houses each for different reasons: Squad 1 because their house lost 11 firefighters, almost half a house of 24, the most of any house in NY; Ladder 148 because their Captain, Capt. Mike Gala, expressed extreme interest in being a part of the bike as he himself was in the World Trade Center moments before it collapsed; and finally 10 Truck because of it's proximity to Ground Zero.

For me to have the opportunity to be a part of the presentation of this bike to these fine Americans is one of the most memorable and honorable moments that I have had the pleasure of being a part of and I will forever be grateful to Alex for allowing me the opportunity to join him in his quest. We laughed, talked story, shot the shit, joked, and cried all in the same day with these great individuals, and as the late great Jim Valvano would say, "That's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Without further ado, I present to you our pictures:

BIKE 343, THE FIRE FIGHTER'S BIKE

Here's the link address for non-html users: http://photobucket.com/albums/v206/ARFNSX/FDNY%20Motorcycle%20Signing/

You can also find more specific info about the bike itself on our team website: http://www.teamallstars.com/bikes/01kawasakizx7r.php

Sincerely,

Nico Figueroa

PS - Please feel free to contact Alex yourself ([email protected]) and let him know how you feel about what he's done with this bike. He had no outside sponsors or investors in the project, he financed it from it's conception and he's still not completely finished with it. According to him there are some other finishing touches that he'd like to add. His goal is to tour the bike in various locations around the country (car/bike shows, etc) and ultimately auction the bike off and have the proceeds go towards charity. Also, if the link is flooded, please be patient and visit it again later. The high traffic to the site may cause access problems."

Take a look... its pretty amazing IMO

Twinnos
03-07-2006, 10:26 PM
nice work alex. sometimes you have to think of others and the things they went through. 911 was a terrible tragedy indeed and for you to dedicate your bike in memorial of that tragedy is outstanding and only goes shows the type of individual you are. You are in a class above anyone else, a real Allstar!!! :goodjob:

The Ren
03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
I am so excited to beable to shoot this bike for the IA calendar.. It's a wonderful thing you have done with it Alex...

Allstar3.8T
03-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Like the song "Hokey Pokey" says...
"thats what its all about!"
Props to Alex to take a trip on his dime, to make others feel special.

A.P. Photography
03-08-2006, 08:58 AM
I truly cannot wait to shoot this bike. Great job Alex.

Red
03-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Good stuff Alex.

ARFNSX
03-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone! I have a great time and I felt truely honored. I was also happy Nico came up to NYC with me. I have tons of photos that really don't even matter at this point because all of my memories are in my heart and mind.

Sorry I am just getting back to you guys but I have been in NYC and once I returned I have been in Los Angeles visiting Bill our fearless leader (and also attending my best friends wedding)

I will see you guys soon!