PDA

View Full Version : Misc Easter

Easter Bunny
03-06-2006, 10:15 PM
whos ready? ya know i am!!!

metalman
03-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Ahh yes, yet another pagan fertility/sun festival from our "friends" the Babylonians, (nothing whatsoever to do with Christ) same with lent, or as the Bible calls it "weeping for Tammuz".

4dmin
03-07-2006, 12:29 PM
oops didn't ya get the memo :lmao:

http://www.ds9r.com/dlog/wp-content/images/easter.jpg

Darling Nikki
03-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Don't worry Easter Bunny...I am ready for ya to hide your eggs round my house lol or apartment. lol

{X}Echo419
03-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Ahh yes, yet another pagan fertility/sun festival from our "friends" the Babylonians, (nothing whatsoever to do with Christ) same with lent, or as the Bible calls it "weeping for Tammuz".

Ahh yes, another "pegan festival" refrence. somehow I don't think the Babylonians were running around looking for eggs hidden my a bunny.

Mpatient
03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Ahh yes, another "pegan festival" refrence. somehow I don't think the Babylonians were running around looking for eggs hidden my a bunny.

agreed ! :goodjob:

metalman
03-08-2006, 06:11 PM

Perhaps you should study into it.
You might be surprised what the Babylonians did. Eggs were often considered "sacred" objects and the rabbit (and certain other critters) were revered for their fertility. Its no accident that even the name Easter is derived from Astarte, Ishtar and subsequently Oester and the other "equivalents".

Anyway you slice it bunnys, eggs, and candy have nothing to do with Christ, and neither does Easter/Astarte/Ishtar/Oester. ;)

{X}Echo419
03-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Perhaps you should study into it.
You might be surprised what the Babylonians did. Eggs were often considered "sacred" objects and the rabbit (and certain other critters) were revered for their fertility. Its no accident that even the name Easter is derived from Astarte, Ishtar and subsequently Oester and the other "equivalents".
why should I do research when I have you? so let me get this straight. the mom's and dad's would hide these "sacred objects" and say the fertile bunny god hid them from the children and then watch them try and find them. intresting.

Anyway you slice it bunnys, eggs, and candy have nothing to do with Christ, and neither does Easter/Astarte/Ishtar/Oester. ;)

I never said bunny's and candy had anything to do the resurection of Christ. and so what if you take an ancient language and spell it out in english and it happens to look like Easter. All that means is whoever came up with that would kick ass at Babylonian Scrabble.

metalman
03-09-2006, 11:58 AM
why should I do research when I have you? so let me get this straight. the mom's and dad's would hide these "sacred objects" and say the fertile bunny god hid them from the children and then watch them try and find them. intresting.

I never said bunny's and candy had anything to do the resurection of Christ. and so what if you take an ancient language and spell it out in english and it happens to look like Easter. All that means is whoever came up with that would kick ass at Babylonian Scrabble.

A mocking response is not what I'd consider serious.

And if youre at all smart you will do your own research when it comes to religion. Sadly, the concept of letting others "do the research" is far too common and a primary reason why so many people are retarded when it comes to anything pertaining to the Bible or history.

Language is an evolving thing. Words are derived from other languages and from earlier words. If thats over your head so be it. ;)

And....I never said Babylonian kids hunted eggs. I said the Easter tradition comes from Pagan/Babylonian tradition and I stand by that. Any historian or religious history buff worth a crap knows this.

blacknightteg
03-09-2006, 12:03 PM
eh, easter, who cares lol, only thing i care about is the "rising of christ" fuck that fury creature

{X}Echo419
03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
A mocking response is not what I'd consider serious.
after reading the rest of your comment find ^this^ hypocritical.

And if youre at all smart you will do your own research when it comes to religion. Sadly, the concept of letting others "do the research" is far too common and a primary reason why so many people are retarded when it comes to anything pertaining to the Bible or history.

O name calling, good 1.

Language is an evolving thing. Words are derived from other languages and from earlier words. If thats over your head so be it. ;)

bet I can speak(even if it's just at tha airport and shopping ;) more languages than you.(anyone who studied a foreign language in school gets that 1). just because the sound the same doesn't mean they are related. hell as you may know in english(american for you Brits) we like to put latin words together. however English is not a "romance" language it is a derivitave of Germanic peoples. but you knew that already. [/QUOTE]

And....I never said Babylonian kids hunted eggs. I said the Easter tradition comes from Pagan/Babylonian tradition and I stand by that. Any historian or religious history buff worth a crap knows this.

ok so what "Pegan tradition" does the Resurection of Christ come from?
:rant:
what is this need of "atheists" to insult/degrade christians or any other religon? you have to come in here and bash easter.
This whole, "The Universe was created via spontaneous bang crap" nothing+nothing=nothing. I just don't get how someone could believe that. Hell, the idea of earth being created in order to find the meaning of life by aliens because the #42 just won't cut it sounds better.(DA). Calling christians/other world religons sheep following a religous doctrine is pretty hypotricital to. B/C last time I checked there we're more than 2 atheists in the world. so don't hand me that garbage. :omfg:

btw: Cadbury Eggs rock something fierce! :goodjob:

metalman
03-09-2006, 03:36 PM
after reading the rest of your comment find ^this^ hypocritical.

O name calling, good 1.

bet I can speak(even if it's just at tha airport and shopping ;) more languages than you.(anyone who studied a foreign language in school gets that 1). just because the sound the same doesn't mean they are related. hell as you may know in english(american for you Brits) we like to put latin words together. however English is not a "romance" language it is a derivitave of Germanic peoples. but you knew that already.

ok so what "Pegan tradition" does the Resurection of Christ come from?
:rant:
what is this need of "atheists" to insult/degrade christians or any other religon? you have to come in here and bash easter.
This whole, "The Universe was created via spontaneous bang crap" nothing+nothing=nothing. I just don't get how someone could believe that. Hell, the idea of earth being created in order to find the meaning of life by aliens because the #42 just won't cut it sounds better.(DA). Calling christians/other world religons sheep following a religous doctrine is pretty hypotricital to. B/C last time I checked there we're more than 2 atheists in the world. so don't hand me that garbage. :omfg:

btw: Cadbury Eggs rock something fierce! :goodjob:

You have grossly misunderstood nearly everything I have posted.
Perhaps you havent read my words very carefully.

You claim to know languages yet seem to have no knowlege of the origins of the word Easter. The connections to Babylonian (and other) pagan culture I have given is common knowlege to many.

I am not an athiest. I believe in the ressurection of Christ. Easter has NOTHING to do with that. Not one thing! If you dont know anything about it thats fine, join the crowd who know what they think or believe but havent studied much OR study into it with an open mind.

I only share the facts I know, nothing more. If someone feels "bashed" by that too bad. Thats not the intent. Perhaps instead of feeling insulted one should study and see if their positions hold any merit. Too many people are entirely too happy with whatever religion/beliefs theyre spoon fed at church, by their parents etc regardless if one shred of it is TRUE or taught in the Bible. Thats what I call being a sheep and not in a good sense either.

As to names, I didnt call you or anyone any names. I simply made the observation that many people are retarded about history and the Bible. The average person could care less about either and has spent no time studying either YET has many staunch beliefs & notions pertaining to both. I call that retarded. Kinda reminds me of people who were firmly entrenched in the notion the world was flat but spent NO time exploring to see if it was. I don't know a damn thing about installing nitrous. I have never used it. You won't see me in any NOS related thread spewing firm opinions on how to do it either.

The ressurection of Christ does NOT come from pagan tradition. Easter does. The two are opposites. One is of the devil, one is not. One celebrates sex, fertility, the sun, and celestial bodies etc etc...which is in fact idolotry...its called Easter.

The other is a historical Biblical event for which a remembrance "command" is given by Christ himself...but its NOT the Easter holiday. This event makes salvation for mankind possible. There is a Biblical way to commemorate it, its right in your Bible if you care to look for it...it just isnt the pagan Easter, or sunrise services or any of that commonly practiced sun worship tradition.

{X}Echo419
03-09-2006, 03:54 PM
You have grossly misunderstood nearly everything I have posted....

guess so. the "Easter" holiday at church and the commercial "1" are not the same of course.

metalman
03-09-2006, 05:44 PM
the "Easter" holiday at church and the commercial "1" are not the same of course.

To some extent thats true.

Theres a saying..."Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining"

I apply the same principle to religion...don't give me paganism infused with Jesus and tell me its Christianity. As I said, the Bible gives a specific way to commemorate the resurection of Christ....and its not the typical Easter church thing. Unfortunately many churches care less about the Bible then they do their traditions.

Jaimecbr900
03-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Atleast you two are locking horns in a constructive way. :goodjob:

Metalman: You've peaked my curiousity. What passage in the bible are you referring to when you say that there is a "specific" way to celebrate the resurrection?

Strictly curiousity and not trying to bash anyone.......yet......JP ;)

metalman
03-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Atleast you two are locking horns in a constructive way. :goodjob:

Metalman: You've peaked my curiousity. What passage in the bible are you referring to when you say that there is a "specific" way to celebrate the resurrection?

Strictly curiousity and not trying to bash anyone.......yet......JP ;)

Good question. Heres the short answer....

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

For the Christian baptism is symbolic of burial with Christ, which is the reason for full immersion, the baptism taught in the Bible, and coming up out of the water is symbolic of being raised from the dead to a new and eternal life.

Secondly...

1 Cor 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1 Cor 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1 Cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come.

According to Scripture the Lord's supper is a symbolic reminder, a memorial of the death of Christ. Keep in mind I am not refering to what is commonly called the Eucharist, that is not the same thing and to be honest is not Biblical, no offense to those who think it is.

metalman
03-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Even the roman catholic church acknowleges the pagan origin of easter....

The word Easter, which comes from the Anglo-Saxon, is a term derived from the pagan goddess of the dawn. - The Catholic Encyclopedia, Revised and Updated, Copyright 1987, Robert C. Broderick, Editor, Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Another thing, anyone who has studied the Bible knows that the crucifixion and resurrection happen during the Jewish festival of the Passover, which began on the 14th of Nisan in the Jewish calendar. For millennia the Jews have observed this festival week of Passover & Feast of Unleaven Bread beginning on the 14th of Nisan. Since Jesus died on the 14th of Nisan, then the resurrection happened on the 16th of Nisan.
If your birthday is on the 16th the actual day varies year to year, its not on Tuesday every single year just because you may have been born on Tuesday.
Why then if its truly a commemoration of the ressurection does Easter always fall on sunday??? ;)

Jaimecbr900
03-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Good question. Heres the short answer....

Thanks.

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

No offense, but how does this passage apply to "Easter" except by vaguely mentioning resurrection? To me, the main jest of the passage is about BAPTISM and not resurrection. Yes, it does mention it, but it's basically explaining WHAT baptism is loosely about, not the resurrection.

Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

For the Christian baptism is symbolic of burial with Christ, which is the reason for full immersion, the baptism taught in the Bible, and coming up out of the water is symbolic of being raised from the dead to a new and eternal life.

Again, this to me is referring to Baptism more than anything else. Again, yes baptism is related to resurrection, but I still fail to see how you are tying the ACT of baptism with Easter. Are you saying that during "Easter" we should all be baptised every year in order to celebrate? If so, wouldn't that then take away the meaning of Baptism which should only be partaken in once since its a symbolic way of cleansing our sins?

Secondly...

1 Cor 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1 Cor 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1 Cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come.

According to Scripture the Lord's supper is a symbolic reminder, a memorial of the death of Christ. Keep in mind I am not refering to what is commonly called the Eucharist, that is not the same thing and to be honest is not Biblical, no offense to those who think it is.

What that passage is referring to is Communion and the Eucharist. What is the Eucharist to you? Isn't that what "this is MY body..." is? When you take communion it is exactly as the passage is saying to do....you are loosely reenacting the final supper in which Jesus asked his followers not to forget his teachings. Therefore, we are acting as the disciples we claim to be, just as the his original disciples did with him.....they shared a final meal before he was crucified. So when we take the Eucharist we are to think about and remember the ultimate sacrifice Jesus made for human kind. This is why the passage reads, "do THIS (communion) in rememberance of me (the sacrifice I'm about to make for all human kind)..."

I still don't see where in either of those passages it specifically details how we are to remember his resurrection unless you loosely assume that Baptism and Communion are the ways to do so.

I've never professed to be a bible scholar, so please don't take offense to my rebuttal. I was merely curious on what passages you were referring to, so I asked. I'm still no more clear on what you were inferring.

metalman
03-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks.

No offense, but how does this passage apply to "Easter" except by vaguely mentioning resurrection? To me, the main jest of the passage is about BAPTISM and not resurrection. Yes, it does mention it, but it's basically explaining WHAT baptism is loosely about, not the resurrection.

First, theres nothing in the Bible that applies to Easter in a positive way being that it is a compete and total pagan invention.
I don't see the reference to the ressurection being vague, its quite clear.
And youre right, it is about baptism, and fact the baptisim commeorates the death and ressurection of Christ.

Again, this to me is referring to Baptism more than anything else. Again, yes baptism is related to resurrection, but I still fail to see how you are tying the ACT of baptism with Easter. Are you saying that during "Easter" we should all be baptised every year in order to celebrate? If so, wouldn't that then take away the meaning of Baptism which should only be partaken in once since its a symbolic way of cleansing our sins?

Tying anything in the Bible with Easter will be impossible. Perhaps I should ask you what Biblical instruction there is for Easter in the first place? I have never seen it. On the contrary, I have seen plenty of instruction and clear implication that one should avoid pagan rituals or anything associated with them.

I am NOT saying we should be baptised once a year. I am saying that the Bible indicates one baptism followed by communion is the way to commemorate the death and ressurection of Christ. He said so Himself. What other instruction then the personal words of Christ does one need?

I will address the Eucharist question later.

I still don't see where in either of those passages it specifically details how we are to remember his resurrection unless you loosely assume that Baptism and Communion are the ways to do so.

Where do you see the specific detail to remember his ressurection? What Scripture??? Where do you see any instruction to hold yearly Easter services??

metalman
03-10-2006, 11:28 PM
More on the origins of Easter....

The English word Easter and the German Ostern come from a common origin (Eostur, Eastur, Ostara, Ostar), which to the Norsemen meant the season of the rising (growing) sun, the season of new birth. The word was used by our ancestors to designate the Feast of New Life in the spring. The same root is found in the name for the place where the sun rises (East, Ost). The word Easter, then, originally meant the celebration of the spring sun, which had its birth in the East and brought new life upon earth. This symbolism was transferred to the supernatural meaning of our Easter, to the new life of the Risen Christ, the eternal and uncreated Light. Based on a passage in the writings of Saint Bede the Venerable (735), the term Easter has often been explained as the name of an Anglo-Saxon goddess (Eostre), though no such goddess is known in the mythologies of any Germanic tribe. Modern research has made it quite clear that Saint Bede erroneously interpreted the name of the season as that of a goddess.

Francis X. Weiser, Handbook of Christian Feasts and Customs

Jason04srt4
03-11-2006, 03:17 PM
The word 'Easter' is only mentioned once in the KJV in Acts 12:4.
In the original Manuscripts which was written in greek for the New Testament. The word is 'pascha' - the passover.

The word pascha is written 28 other times in the New Testament and evertime it is translated into 'Passover'

There is no way you can translate pascha into easter. Easter should not even be in the bible.

Easter comes from perverted pagan fertility rituals, But some traditions of easter were allowed by christians when a large number pagans converted to christanity.

metalman
03-11-2006, 03:22 PM
The word 'Easter' is only mentioned once in the KJV in Acts 12:4.
In the original Manuscripts which was written in greek for the New Testament. The word is 'pascha' - the passover.

The word pascha is written 28 other times in the New Testament and evertime it is translated into 'Passover'

There is no way you can translate pascha into easter. Easter should not even be in the bible.

Easter comes from perverted pagan fertility rituals, But some traditions of easter were allowed by christians when a large number pagans converted to christanity.

Indeed! Youre quite correct. The catholic church has done a great job at infusing Jesus into pagan nonsense then calling it christianity. Easter is only one example.