PDA

View Full Version : Bellsouth has a new owner

tony
03-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Not sure who cares, but I know a few of us employees are on the board, AT&T has bought out Bellsouth which we figured was going to happen.. I doubt much is going to change within the company though.

aaronfelipe
03-05-2006, 10:47 AM
:eek: damn I didn't know anything about that.

TIGERJC
03-05-2006, 09:34 PM
i told my mom at&t was going to buy back all of its compaines that were broken apart by that judge in the 80's. I think at&t is going to change direction, b/c telcommunications is not the best right now. At&t has gone more local in the past 3-4 years.

At&t has been cutting thier staff by 80% since 2000-2005, so that the company would look smaller and have the funds to acquire thier old companies. In the next 4-8 years At&t will be just like the old days.

Yea i care b/c my mom and me both have stock in the company.

Z33_kid
03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
arent they bringing at&t to atlanta ?

TIGERJC
03-07-2006, 03:39 PM
at&t is in atlanta. they use to own that big skyscraper downtown, they moved out in 2000. The main office now for at&t in atlanta, is their older building that stands right next to there old skyscraper that they once owned.

ty

speedminded
03-07-2006, 04:18 PM
AT at T?

David88vert
03-07-2006, 07:30 PM
AT&T is based in San Antonio. They are not bringing their operations to Atlanta. They will be merging the network and IT groups and eliminating a lot of Atlanta jobs. AT&T is much stronger in large business than BellSouth, so you can expect AT&T to cut that BellSouth division also. Look for the Atlanta headquarters to become nothing more than a regional office for AT&T.
And yes, I will be losing my job there. I am pretty certain of it already.

Julio
03-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Werd ,heard about this one sunday 67 Billion..... and also, They are dropping the Cingular name to AT&T again...
Now I can say Ive been a AT&T customer for 13 years... !!

David88vert
03-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Werd ,heard about this one sunday 67 Billion..... and also, They are dropping the Cingular name to AT&T again...
Now I can say Ive been a AT&T customer for 13 years... !!

That is correct. The BellSouth name will also get dropped after the merger.

Ninety Four
03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
AT&T is based in San Antonio. They are not bringing their operations to Atlanta. They will be merging the network and IT groups and eliminating a lot of Atlanta jobs. AT&T is much stronger in large business than BellSouth, so you can expect AT&T to cut that BellSouth division also. Look for the Atlanta headquarters to become nothing more than a regional office for AT&T.
And yes, I will be losing my job there. I am pretty certain of it already.

This is also the side of the story that I've heard. Sorry to hear about your job though. Will you get any sort of compensation package?

David88vert
03-14-2006, 08:19 PM
No, I'm a contractor in IT (large business).

ahmonrah
03-14-2006, 11:18 PM
yeah , at&t is buying back bellsouth. it was one big ass company when i was growing up before a particular judge ruled that they had to break up. i dont recall the exact details but just about all major utilities were that way. (light, gas adn telephone companies.)

ReCkLe5s
03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
doesnt it still have to pass the anti monopoly board to get the go ahead to make this happen.. if this is the case you have a good couple of months to get a new job..

Accord_97EX
03-16-2006, 09:37 AM
I work for BellSouth Long Distance and I already know our jobs will be gone once the merger is completed. It sucks this is my second time going thru a layoff in 6 years.

incawarrior
03-16-2006, 02:25 PM
I work for BellSouth Long Distance and I already know our jobs will be gone once the merger is completed. It sucks this is my second time going thru a layoff in 6 years.

Yup. There is a severance package offer for managers. I'm also with BSLD. :o