PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Pretty detailed list of my car options. Help me out.

Tpduke112
04-20-2005, 01:55 PM
So here I am, Im an 18 year old college freshman. I drive a 1996 Nissan Maxima, which my parents gave me. I love the car and I love my parents for giving me such a great car to start with. Problem is that it is an automatic and it has more miles on it than I would like (145,000). I thought of modding it, but then decided that it was pointless. I have a craving for throwing back gears and I want something more sporty with 2 less doors. I have a job and I make pretty good money. I will be able to afford something in the 10,000 to very low teen range by the beginning of sophomore year (this fall). I have been carefully weighing my options. Though faults havent lead to me ruling any cars out, it has dropped some cars on the totem pole. Things that I would like (but dont necessarily have to have) are AWD>RWD>FWD, LSD, Forced Induction is a plus, reliability is a plus but I know tons of mechanics and I know my way around an engine ok, cool factor (nice and sporty looking), and not too old (I would really prefer it to be newer than my Maxima. My list looks like this as of right now (in this order).

1. 97-99 Eclipse GSX (I dont want a GS-T and I am leaning toward this car very, very strongly. AWD+Turbo=Heaven. It also has a huge aftermarket and can be fast for cheap. I know, reliability is an issue but a well taken care of car is a well taken care of car).

2. 98-01 Camaro Z28-SS (I grew up a domestic guy (my first car was a 88 Camaro Iroc-Z, second was a 96 Monte Carlo Z34) and I have always loved f-bodys. Im just really into imports now though. Though this is the case, the F-Body is still very high on the list and it is a very viable candidate).

3. 94-99 3000gt VR4 (Reliability again, and I really want a 97-99 but it is a bit out of my price range (I dont want to find a cheap one and deal with its problems)).

4. 93-94 MR2 Turbo (Love the mid engine, RWD combo, but its a little too old).

5. 01 Acura 3.2 CL-S (Doesnt really fit with the rest of the list, but I have always love it. It is very sporty with 260 hp and you gotta love the luxury. Problem is it's FWD and I dont know if it is quite sporty enough).

6. 93-95 RX7 (a little old, and the rotary is a complicated engine.)

7. 94-01 Integra (cheaper means more money for mods, but I dont want FWD).

8. 95-99 240SX (cheaper means more money for mods and it is RWD, I just think it is kinda ugly and drift ricers have grabbed ahold of it and they are dragging it down).

9. 02 RSX-S (Very nice looking and sporty, but its FWD and its at the very top of the price limit).

10. 00-02 Celica GTS (Cheaper than the RSX, but is still edged out because the RSX is better looking. Still FWD).

Other options: Prelude, G20, 5-Speed Maxima,
Non-options: SRT-4, WRX, Mazdaspeed Protege, and anything Ford doesnt appeal to me.

What do you guys think? Did I forget any options. My mind isnt set, but Im really leaning toward the GSX with the Camaro running up its tail. What would you guys do if you were me? Any input is appreciated. Im sorry for the long post, hmmmm, if you read the whole thing, Ill try to give you some rep points (still not sure if I can even do this). Thanks alot.

civic95
04-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Put these in characteristics in order starting with the most important to you (reliability, price, looks, aftermarket support, performance)

Obviously you can't have them all.

The Yousef
04-20-2005, 02:25 PM
-i got my lude and i love her...(so i'm partial to that)
-i have a buddy with a MSProtege she's pretty quick...handles like a dream
-i was looking at Eclipses/talons too...but the issue is crankwalk...not sure if they fixed the problems with later years though...(some DSM dude will correct on that)
-RSX....hotness (k20...nuff said)...can be hard to find cheap though
-3.2cl...you can actually find them pretty cheap...but thats the auto version (they have a tendency of fucking up...but honda extended the warranty on the tranny till 100k)
-MR2 turbo....good luck trying to find one...if you can jump all over that mother!!!
-03+ WRX, <-----yes...get one

thats my :2cents:

**oh yeah i'd move this to the whore's lounge** more peeps tend to look at that...then this portion of the forum...

Jaimecbr900
04-20-2005, 02:28 PM
For $10k, you could easily do a 5 spd swap, FI, and LSD to your current car. I know cause I have one like it. I could easily put you in touch with a few of my Maxima buddies that have done it 50 gazillion times. As a matter of fact, there may be one of them with a turbo kit still for sale off his 96 max.

BTW, mileage on a VQ motor is only a big deal if you didn't maintain it for those 150k miles. I didn't put nitrous on mine until it had over 150k. Still running (motor wise) perfect. I've ran as big as a 125 shot DPI of N2O on all stock internals. No prob. The auto tranny is weak. I had to put almost $5k in mine to hold (Level 10). If I had to do it all over, I would've done a 5spd swap/LSD and been done with it. I was hard headed.

The Yousef
04-20-2005, 02:35 PM
For $10k, you could easily do a 5 spd swap, FI, and LSD to your current car. I know cause I have one like it. I could easily put you in touch with a few of my Maxima buddies that have done it 50 gazillion times. As a matter of fact, there may be one of them with a turbo kit still for sale off his 96 max.

BTW, mileage on a VQ motor is only a big deal if you didn't maintain it for those 150k miles. I didn't put nitrous on mine until it had over 150k. Still running (motor wise) perfect. I've ran as big as a 125 shot DPI of N2O on all stock internals. No prob. The auto tranny is weak. I had to put almost $5k in mine to hold (Level 10). If I had to do it all over, I would've done a 5spd swap/LSD and been done with it. I was hard headed.

...^good advice^

+you'll have a rare modified car....i mean don't see a lot people around this area with modified maximas.....and when i do they usually look hot as hell! i mean the VQ for your model year was 190 bhp w/205 lb/tq....thats a nice motor/numbers to work with... :)

Tpduke112
04-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks alot guys. I put this in the whores lounge, so if a mod would close this one, that would be great.

AltimaCharlie
04-20-2005, 04:42 PM
infiniti g20

nmonty
04-20-2005, 06:33 PM
I might be a little bias but you cant go wrong with the MR2.

iloveboost
04-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Subaru 2.5 RS

/end thread

bigb996
04-20-2005, 08:08 PM
well i only see about 4 cars on that list that are practical for your price range. Most of the turbo cars you wont touch for what you want to spend. If you want turbo i would aim for the gsx. but i have not heard great things about mitsu reliability. MY opinion would be to go out and buy a mid 90s 240 with an sr20det. You can get one for just under 10k tahts nice. good luck.

Kayin520
04-27-2005, 12:45 PM
the GSX is rare but if you really want it then you could go to auction to purchase one. As bigb996 said, the 240 with sr20det is awesome but i think just regular 240 with KA24DE still has good enough power to start with.
Get used to the car first and save up some money at the same time. Once you know what you need to do with your ride then start to research and buy parts. It would take some time but it is the safest way to modify your car and your skill.
Good luck!

MikeSRT4
04-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Just buy a Camero and get it over with.... or a GN.. oh yah it will be too old...

Mike

2004 SRT 4 14.006 @ 102 stock 7000 miles

ps I'm a gear head at heart and love Minitrucks and want to build a Rat Resto Rod and I am 32 and Have been a round the automotive block and I DO work on my own cars (Althougth my SRT 4 is 4 months old and not stock for long)

Spend your money ONCE: rear wheel drive, not Ford, and a car and not an OLD model that leaves the Corvette, camero, S10, Full sizes, Buicks, and and Euro cars: audi, bmw Buy what you REALLY want, Good Luck

MOPAR or no car

neonphenom3
04-28-2005, 12:18 AM

MOPAR or no car...

Haha I like that...but seriously. Unless you dread driving your maxima I would do as it was stated above and do the 5spd,LSD conversion. I especially like your body style and some of the people in the Greater ATL area have some hot one's too. If not, then I would go with the 240sx, then the Camaro, then the Mitsu GSX, then the MR2 if you can find one. I guess it would also depend on what aspect of car racing or shows you get into.

Negrodamus
04-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Save the money and get something straight "gangsta" when you graduate.

YokotaS13
04-28-2005, 10:15 AM
If you dont buy a DSM, even FWD your an idiot.
Cost to result, the DSM WILL go faster, and if kept up with religiuosly will run forever
CW is only a problem on a SMALL percentage of 2g 7bolts. if your that worried about it, swpa in a 6 bolt. only about a 2000 swap, but its still the same motor minus some small changes. Find yourself a clean 2g...if you want to know hard facts about them, let me know. All ive done are dsms for 4 years now
and you can get a clean 2g for 6 or 7000
a clean 1g for 2-4000