PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Twin Charged 4age

Tank
02-25-2006, 04:02 PM
so ve been doing research and right now i found out about twin chargin the 4age sounds interesting as a setup goes. i have some diagrams and pics of a working setup so give me some input as what ya'll think about it. its something that can hold me over til the f20C swap comes along in my 86 and as always thanks for your thoughts and advice.

i4_garage
02-25-2006, 10:45 PM
whenever u are doing the F20c swap....i got basically an entire dash wiring, gauges, and misc S2000 items that is crucial for ur swap...lolz

Tank
02-26-2006, 05:44 AM
for real man hold on to those for me cause im gonna need them thanks man

i4_garage
02-26-2006, 11:35 AM
no props...i got u covered

Allmota
02-26-2006, 02:29 PM
its been down already, my buddy horace in va at the shop i used to work at did it in his corolla, the shit was nasty. made 275whp. once the supercharge spoiled then the turbo kicked in. it had two totally different torque curves.

Tank
02-26-2006, 02:44 PM
yeah that kind of the plan right off the back i got all the gze parts blower and everything just gotta get the turbo half shouldnt be that difficult then a stand alone systems

YokotaS13
02-26-2006, 02:58 PM
its a great system, a couple guys on honda teech did it on their civics, works very well.

Tank
02-26-2006, 03:07 PM
thats what im hearing since im going the f20C swap soon enough i just wanted to test out the limits of the 4age who knows i may like it the hardest part is the standalone so i would go AEM EMS probrably or mega squirt

The Green Monster
02-26-2006, 04:28 PM
that's fuckin badass...g'luck with that =D

Tank
02-26-2006, 04:55 PM
thanks homie ill keep you posted

YokotaS13
02-26-2006, 05:33 PM
but dont forget a differential pressure valve, so when the turbo charger starts making more boost than the supercharger it transfers the full load of boost to the turbo instead of both , that way your supercharger isnt runnig for no reason

Tank
02-26-2006, 05:49 PM
very good point you seem to know a lil something bout htis i might need some advice from ya that cool

SampaGuy
02-26-2006, 07:26 PM
i think hks made a twin charged kit for the aw11 but they only made like five of them. theres a lot of info on this on mr2oc.net

Tank
02-26-2006, 11:17 PM
thanks man im gonna do some more research that way

YokotaS13
02-26-2006, 11:18 PM
look on honda-tech, there is an entire writeup on it there somewhere, saw it about a year ago

Tank
02-26-2006, 11:29 PM
well the thing im trying to figure out is if its ok to run my stock 16V 4age i just got all the plumbing and parts for the gze and im going to [iece maybe a cheap turbo kit together but im just wondering if its cool with the block

ghionw
02-27-2006, 07:26 AM
I have seen a few write-ups on this twin charging. The guys were in Bahamas or Barbados, they all blown their motor. I am not sure if they ever really got it to be reliable. They had the setup in a Toyota Levin. Good Luck with the setup though.

Tank
02-27-2006, 08:02 AM
yeah its a test in a since, something to yield some power before the major swap happens and it aint costin me much. i just love learnin bout cars you know man blow a motor yeah that sucks but somewhere in the process you learned something and that knowledge helps you in the future well atleast thats how i look at it

99SI
02-27-2006, 10:34 AM
It's a neat and different idea that not many people are willing to try. But, with the ball bearing turbos of today allowing quick spoolup and all around better technology you can make the same power with the same response and have a much more reliable setup. That's just my opinion. Like I said it is a cool idea and it is one that has been done and has made sick power. If I'm not mistaken the old Group A (or N) rally car from Audi used a twin charged system of turbo and sc and made ridiculous power. That car eventually led to the demise of the class because it became too dangerous and spectators and drivers were getting killed. Good luck either way you decide to go. It's always fun to see a clean 86 out there getting it done.

99SI
02-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Tank I don't know if this will help at all but this is a link to a great seller that is in Japan and gets top quality jdm goodies. There is a Toyota TRD LSD he has for sale for a really good price. I don't know if it will be compatible with your application or not. I just thought about you when I saw it. http://stores.ebay.com/JDM-Export-Vehicle-Solutions_W0QQsspagenameZADMEQ3aBQ3aFSELQ3aUSQ3a3Q QtZkm

I got my LSD from him. It came out of a 97 JDM ITR. I received my diff from Japan in less than a week. Shipping was very reasonable for that weight and quickness, around $90. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Tank
02-28-2006, 08:01 AM
very good find thanks mn you find anything else out let me know

HiPSI
02-28-2006, 10:40 AM
it's a lot of extra complexity which makes 2 bad things happen:
-probability of breaking something rises heavily
-dyno tuning will take a good long time to complete and mechanically it will take a ton of tinkering to hopefully get everything working together and not against itself.

like 99Si said, there are a lot less complex ways to go that would make as good if not better power and be a hell of a lot more reliable.

99SI
02-28-2006, 02:16 PM
I read an article today that Hahn Racecraft (I think) is planning a turbo kit for the Cobalt SS. While normally this is not that impressive it will be retaining the stock supercharger! Early estimates are 450+ whp. Should be some sick Cobalt's out there soon using your twin charged setup. I'll double check and see if I can find the article to confirm the company doing it. It may be another resource to check how they are doing it.