PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Trained Naval Officer

man
02-24-2006, 12:33 AM
I have been considering joining the Navy after college for a while now, and the other day I got this e-mail. Should I do it?

Dear College Student:

The Department of Naval Reactors is screening qualified undergraduate engineering students, such as you, for highly technical positions as Nuclear Trained Officers. Once selected and while in school, you will receive an immediate $10,000 signing bonus and a retainer of $2,200 every month until graduation. This retainer will also be paid during the summer months, regardless of your enrollment status.

Following graduation, you will participate in an 18-month graduate level education and specialized training at various locations on the East Coast. A majority of the time will be spent at the Naval Nuclear Power School campus in Charleston, South Carolina. Upon completion of this training, you will receive a $2,000 bonus, in addition to your active duty pay. This broad-based education provides intensive academic and hands-on training in the areas of electrical, mechanical, chemical, materials, and nuclear engineering.

Because of your exceptional qualifications, as a Nuclear Trained Officer, you will enjoy an excellent starting salary, which increases to greater than $80,000 within five years. Other benefits include opportunities for a fully funded graduate degree and international travel to exotic places such as Europe, Japan, Hawaii, and Australia. Industry leaders agree that Nuclear Trained Officers get the best combination of “hands-on” engineering and managerial experience. As a result, when you make the decision to transition from the Navy to a corporate position, you will be among the top candidates for highly selective positions!

THIS IS NOT ROTC: No uniforms; no drill; no required extra courses. You’ll get paid to do what you’ve been doing all along: Go to school (full time), maintain good grades, and get your degree. The catch: instant responsibility upon graduation as a U.S. Naval Officer with one of the largest employers in the world. Other benefits include:

* Guaranteed job, at a competitive salary *Immediate program management responsibility
* Full medical and dental coverage for you and
your family while in college and beyond * Guaranteed graduate education at the Navy’s
expense
* 30 days paid vacation every year

CYIMSOFAST
02-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Im actually in the Navy,in the Radiation/Nuclear Health program before you sign any papers get EVERYTHING in writing. If the navy pays for your education, you pay them time back,Im almost positive it's 10 years you pay back on top of your original contract for the graduate program......it's not a bad deal

CopyRight
02-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Im actually in the Navy,in the Radiation/Nuclear Health program before you sign any papers get EVERYTHING in writing. If the navy pays for your education, you pay them time back,Im almost positive it's 10 years you pay back on top of your original contract for the graduate program......it's not a bad deal

yeah, for bachelors it's 6 years. 4 years active, 3 years non active.

for graduate, it's 10 years. I dont know the breakdown exactly though.

I say sit down and write down all the questions that you might have and are not specifically outlined and then call someone to talk about it.

what they might be doing is, getting you civilian contract work, but you will owe them a few years of contract work.

mi4dub
02-24-2006, 12:21 PM
how far are you in current school?
civilian nukes get hella lotta $$$$$$$$$$
better keep up your grades and conduct or else you will be paying school out of pocket.
not a bad gig if you want to do this sort of thing for next 15-20 years

man
02-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Well, that's the thing, I'm only in my second semester so I have a little while to think about it.

YokotaS13
02-24-2006, 01:07 PM
just remember, air force is much better, believe me

man
02-24-2006, 01:10 PM
just remember, air force is much better, believe me
I definitely believe you, its a shame I haven't got any offers from them though :(