PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods Wheels Question!!

i4_garage
02-22-2006, 08:54 PM
i am familiar with the size and wide of rims....but sometimes i see 350 or G35 with deep dish wheels without a wide body.....i konw its something with the offsets......and i am about to get some for my car which has a wide body....how would i go about measuring hte offsets....or is it the off sets.....thanx

HiPSI
02-23-2006, 09:45 AM
offsets have a lot to do with wheel fitment, and alignment can also have a big impact on fitting wheels.

offset is how far the hub surface of the wheel is moved either toward the outside or inside of the wheel. 0 offset means the hub is dead centered in the middle of the width of the wheel. positive offset moves the hub toward the face of the wheel, basically moving the wheel itself in closer to the car. negative offset moves the hub surface toward the back of the wheel, which moves the wheel itself out away from the chassis.

the first step to figuring out what wheels you can run is to measure or approximate the width of wheel you can fit under the fender (take into account suspension/chassis clearance or anything else that could get in the way). after you figure that part out you need to take a straightedge and lay it vertical across the hub surface on the car. measure from the straightedge to the fender. after you have those measurements you can figure things out.

let's use theoretical numbers for this... so we'll say a 10" wide wheel is what will fit, and you have 6.5" from your hub surface to the edge of the fender.

it's easier if you break down your measurements into Millimeters since that's what the offset is generally given in.

1in=25.4mm roughly... so a 254mm wide wheel and you have you have 165.1mm of space to your fender to fill. to have this wheel flush, you need 165mm of the wheel foreward of the hub, and the rest (254mm-165mm=89mm) behind the hub. the wheel we're using here with 0 offset would have 127mm on either side of the hub (254/2) so to figure out the offset from 0 we subtract 127(centerline)-89(backspacing). this would give this theoretical wheel an offset of -38.

hope that makes some sense, it's easier than it sounds you just have to take a couple measurements and decide what you want then you can figure out what's close.

3kgtdrvr
02-23-2006, 04:53 PM
...and neg offsets wear out balljoints and stuff faster, but they look cool ;)

i4_garage
02-23-2006, 05:45 PM
i think i have a clear idea of that ....thanx alot man....and i am just making hte car for show ....won;t be driving it alot

Vuongy_Dong
02-24-2006, 10:30 AM
i think i have a clear idea of that ....thanx alot man....and i am just making hte car for show ....won;t be driving it alot
get the book ''wheels and offsite for Dummies''.

St0lenR
02-24-2006, 03:44 PM
get the book ''wheels and offsite for Dummies''.

What is offsite????

maybe you should get a "proper grammer for dummies" fool

Speedm0(\)key
02-24-2006, 04:29 PM
What is offsite????

maybe you should get a "proper grammer for dummies" fool

oh shit... PWn3d!1

Vuongy_Dong
02-24-2006, 04:54 PM
oh shit. i meant offset. lol

Darling Nikki
02-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Before I bought my wheels I had to check out the offset before I got them. Its a really good idea to check it out.

i4_garage
02-24-2006, 07:52 PM
thanx to everyone except for that dumbass 95boostedteg....buahahahhahah!!!

Darling Nikki
02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
^oh snap!

atlvi3tb0i
02-24-2006, 10:28 PM
li is a dumbass