PDA

View Full Version : if this was a body shop how many ppl would consider cheacking it out

sina518
02-22-2006, 10:33 AM
i was just wondering if this was a acctual body shop/mechanical shop how many ppl would try it out

Bishop
02-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Shit, i would work there! 2 downdraft booths, 6 lifts, 3 tables....That looks like a good layout.

speedminded
02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Is the mixing room large enough? Say's 12' x 12' but that's not a square room :tongue:

On the left side, i like the row of cars with a single garage door but would the final prep be wet sanding and polishing or what? If so, would you want that next to the light body repair...sanding, dust, etc?

Bishop
02-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Is the mixing room large enough? Say's 12' x 12' but that's not a square room :tongue:

good point. If the room is 12x12 that would be plenty big enough. I've seen mix rooms the size of my closet (no its not a walkin closet)

speedminded
02-22-2006, 10:57 AM
good point. If the room is 12x12 that would be plenty big enough. I've seen mix rooms the size of my closet (no its not a walkin closet)I've seen them too....from just a work bench out in a spray area to a room you could practically eat off the floor in. Not exactly sure how much is required for it to be comfortable but it's a 16,000 square foot building with a 144 sq. ft. mixing room. Maybe it's more than enough and shops don't stock that much paint anymore.

Is there enough room to back off the ramps too? Or would you just anticipate the spot directly behind the spray booth to always be open and ready for the car to back into it?

Bishop
02-22-2006, 11:05 AM
If you cut the wheels all the way while the front wheels are still on the ramp, it looks like you could get away with it.

But what im wondering about, is that final prep area. Do you mean final prep before paint or after paint (wet sand and buff) If its before paint...is it for getting the surface ready for primer or is it for wet sand the primer? Either way, you dont want much sanding dust to get in it.

speedminded
02-22-2006, 12:21 PM
...but what im wondering about, is that final prep area. Do you mean final prep before paint or after paint (wet sand and buff) If its before paint...is it for getting the surface ready for primer or is it for wet sand the primer? Either way, you dont want much sanding dust to get in it.exactly, kinda want those areas as seperate as possible...but then again they may plan on dividing it with one of those big sealed curtains. If the final prep is before paint and not final prep for the customer then where is the wash & wax/buff area? Is that what the cool down area is for? :dunno:

RISKYB
02-22-2006, 12:44 PM
layout seems sort of similar to atlanta toyota's facility world collision or what ever its called, nice layout though i would def stop by

p.s. i do whosale parts for kia if you guys ever need any

A.P. Photography
02-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Nice layout but needs to be tweaked a little.

speedminded
02-22-2006, 01:58 PM
...then where is the wash & wax/buff area? Is that what the cool down area is for? :dunno:lol, nm...helps to read the notes... b) says air compressor and wash bays not shown

b@d @pple
02-22-2006, 02:02 PM
its been tweaked its not exactly what the lay out looks like. it similar. and were are keeping the sanding away from everything else and bondo and stuff. but ill have pics as soon as its done. which should be in a couple of weeks

Bishop
02-22-2006, 02:02 PM
I would be interested to see the pics

sina518
02-22-2006, 02:03 PM
sorry it was me that posted under bad apple.im at his work and he was logged in soo sorry about that

speedminded
02-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Cut the building in half (8,000 sq. ft.) then seperate half of that with a wall of glass and make 1/2 a residential area with a loft and the other 1/2 a full shop with two Rotary twin post in-ground lifts, fully function fabrication area, and one corner strictly for engine building...I'd live in it :D

sina518
02-22-2006, 02:39 PM
i dont think the city would allow that

speedminded
02-22-2006, 02:46 PM
i dont think the city would allow thatnaw, scew zoning and make the outside look like it belongs in St. Ives with just some architectural foam, stucco, and windows :tongue:

David88vert
02-22-2006, 07:29 PM
The layout isn't what actually fixes the car. I would be more interested in the quality of workmanship (i.e. - what level of bodymen are actually hired). There's a big difference between a parts swapper at a collision shop, and a customizer/restorer who is well-versed in arts such as lead-filling. I've seen ratty garages with dirty old men that have turned out some of the best show cars in the country. If you build a shop like the ones in the plan AND employ top-notch employees, then you have something very good. JMHO....

sina518
02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
oh yeah i know what you mean. like i said once its done ill have pics of the shop and the work. you cant talk about someones work its better if you see it then hear about it

Shawna
02-22-2006, 08:46 PM
reception area needs to be in front of the door as you walk in

JASONBALL
02-22-2006, 10:46 PM
looks like a exspensive place to maintain. so there fore they wouldn;t worry about so much quality has per the amount of quanity there pushing through. assumming this place is real.

sina518
02-22-2006, 10:48 PM
u hire ppl to maintain. it works like a traditional society everyone has there own task

rickgiblin
02-22-2006, 11:44 PM
is this gonna be a real shop? if so, it seems good to me.

sina518
02-23-2006, 07:25 AM
there is a possibility. well just have to wait and see

Bishop
02-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh, i thought it was a sure thing....cause on your website it says you all are moving to a new location and that is an overhead view of the new shop floor plan. Well good luck!

sina518
02-23-2006, 11:20 AM
yeah its a sure thing but im not tryn to advertise cause the ia will get on my ass cause you have to be a sponser to advertise

Bishop
02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
^yeah i know what you mean.

speedminded
02-23-2006, 12:50 PM
The layout isn't what actually fixes the car. I would be more interested in the quality of workmanship (i.e. - what level of bodymen are actually hired). There's a big difference between a parts swapper at a collision shop, and a customizer/restorer who is well-versed in arts such as lead-filling. I've seen ratty garages with dirty old men that have turned out some of the best show cars in the country. If you build a shop like the ones in the plan AND employ top-notch employees, then you have something very good. JMHO....It's definitely more of a production shop than something you would expect a concourse de'elegance vehicle to roll out the door, obviously they are interested in volume and I seriously doubt any vehicles requiring lead work will ever be seen in there :tongue: ...BUT i'd be real impressed if it was a shop specializing in restoring classic cars though...say a few dozen old 356's, Ferrari's, and Jags. :nautjerk:

Bishop
02-23-2006, 01:56 PM
^^It seems like its more of a custom body and paint shop. Looks like they also do swaps.

tony
02-23-2006, 02:52 PM
The layout isn't what actually fixes the car. I would be more interested in the quality of workmanship (i.e. - what level of bodymen are actually hired). There's a big difference between a parts swapper at a collision shop, and a customizer/restorer who is well-versed in arts such as lead-filling. I've seen ratty garages with dirty old men that have turned out some of the best show cars in the country. If you build a shop like the ones in the plan AND employ top-notch employees, then you have something very good. JMHO....

Exactly what my post was going to be, I've seen some NICE facilities with crappy work and basic shops that do extremely good work.

speedminded
02-23-2006, 03:05 PM
^^It seems like its more of a custom body and paint shop. Looks like they also do swaps.why do you say that?

Bishop
02-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Cause of their web site says so, lol...click on sina518's name and click her home page.

speedminded
02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Cause of their web site says so, lol...click on sina518's name and click her home page.her?

Bishop
02-23-2006, 04:03 PM
^huh?

speedminded
02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
^huh?it says male...

Bishop
02-23-2006, 04:25 PM
oh, my bad...i didnt mean to say her...didnt even know i said it

speedminded
02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
oh, my bad...i didnt mean to say her...didnt even know i said itlol, i was like what??? girl, cars, and CAD drawings...all in one....no way, can't possibly be?! and i was right *sigh*

EJ25RUN
02-23-2006, 07:42 PM
looks expensive.

sina518
02-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Exactly what my post was going to be, I've seen some NICE facilities with crappy work and basic shops that do extremely good work.

once again i am not advertising the work or if the shop is good or not for all you know it can be the badest shop in atlanta. with some big time fabricators and customizers working there. im just showing the lay out of the shop and seeing what ppl think about the layout and would it be somethhing they would be intrested in. noyt to mention it doesnt exist yet

burnout1990
02-23-2006, 10:52 PM
it seems like it would slow you down with isles like that...just like said before needs some tweeking.