PDA

View Full Version : Misc GREAT!! Movie: the truth about pitbulls (not for weak stomach'd people)

The Ren
02-22-2006, 09:04 AM
I found this movie on Supraforums and as soon as I watched it I wanted some of you to see this. I know we all have our own thoughts about pitbulls... I even heard a story last night about how a friend of mine's ex had 4 or 5 pits.. on didnt get along with the rest so he was kept away. He got out and the group started fighting.. well the girls father tried to break them up and they all started fighting the girls father... Dominance. But being a pitbull owner myself (even though she is a mix).. I would just like some people to realize even though ALL dogs have that "wild" nature.. it's not just pitbulls.. I do know that Ga law is trying to outlaw pitbulls.. and I know for a fact b/c of the rep they have if a pitbull is taken to rockdale county animal control.. it will be euthanized in 7 days no matter what... (I used to work with them).. If a pitbull is brought in to Rockdale animal control hurt.. they will take it to a vet, have it fixed up, and then if the owners do not come get the dog in 7 days it is automatically euthanized..and most of these dogs had abusive owners or owners who fought the dogs.. and it killed me to see how good these dogs were when they were not around their owners... please just watch this video..

http://www.apbtconformation.com/pitbull_content.html

The Golden Child
02-22-2006, 11:29 AM
very true and sad ..

DurtySpeed
02-22-2006, 11:43 AM
I am glad people still fight for these dogs. I can't wait to have one. I just have to wait until I am in a better situation. Every one I have known that had one, the dog was the most obedient and playful of any I have ever been around.

Funny thing, I think the most vicious dog I have been around was a Palmeranian(sp). Thing was like 4 inches tall, but it was mean. Lol.

dereksi
02-22-2006, 11:58 AM
I love my pit and would never give it up. They would have to kill me first before they took her from me.

Rabunchic
02-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Very good video, we had one named Jasper and had to give him back to original owner because my neighbors were afraid of him. He is a very social dog and their kids were playing next to my fence and he jumped the fence and jumped on the kid (put his paws on the boys shoulders) licked him and ran off to go play. The kids parents came over understandably upset, I asked was your boy bit or hurt they said no. I told them Jasper was just playing and if he meant harm their boy would have been hurt. But I have to live there so I gave Jasper back.

#1Beaver
02-22-2006, 12:50 PM
very nice vid

TallGuy
02-22-2006, 02:35 PM
thats one of the best pit videos ever..

TallGuy
02-22-2006, 02:37 PM
some good info about pitbulls...
http://www.pitbullregistry.com/Pit%20Bull%20History.htm

The Ren
02-22-2006, 04:25 PM
i love my pitbull and she is my baby... and i love arsalons pit.. they are two of the coolest dogs I know...

94LSEG
02-22-2006, 04:36 PM
very great video i cant wait till i have my own!!!!!

The Ren
02-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks.. when I saw this video.. I was really impressed with whoever put this together..

KMDX
02-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Great video..

Not to jack your thread but just to show you how ignorant people are,

I took my four month old pit to petsmart today, and a lil boy 6 years maybe came up to pet sky and he was petting it until the mother asked what kind of dog it was, and I said pit...she then said "oh" and walked away as though Sky was going to attack them..some people are so ignorant. :2up: :2up:

quickdodge®
02-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Great video..

Not to jack your thread but just to show you how ignorant people are,

I took my four month old pit to petsmart today, and a lil boy 6 years maybe came up to pet sky and he was petting it until the mother asked what kind of dog it was, and I said pit...she then said "oh" and walked away as though Sky was going to attack them..some people are so ignorant. :2up: :2up:

Shut up, stupid. Why is it ignorant to be weary of a dog? So what? Maybe it was ignorant of you to assume that of the person. Later, QD.

The Ren
02-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Shut up, stupid. Why is it ignorant to be weary of a dog? So what? Maybe it was ignorant of you to assume that of the person. Later, QD.

I have to agree with QD.. some people are weary of pits.. alot of people think "all pits are bad".. you cant blame people for not knowing...

HyPer50
02-22-2006, 11:31 PM
I've seen some very sweet Pits, but I will always be a bit weary around pitbulls simply because they DO have a trait of snapping. They are usually very protective also, so if you make the wrong move, your goin' to the hospital. Then again, one time me and this girl were playin' around and I accidently smacked her Pit in the head with my elbow hard as hell, but he just shook it off lol... When I first did I was like oh shit, I'm dead lmao... I don't agree with banning pitbulls or anything like that, but the owners to need to be more responsible than a poodle owner... just cause your Pit is friendly 99% of the time, doesn't mean he won't attack someones dog, kid, or them without an apparent reason.

KMDX
02-23-2006, 10:08 AM

lol! leave it up to you... :goodjob:

my point was that mine is a puppy...why do I feel like I am arguing with a doorknob...I dunno....

quickdodge®
02-23-2006, 07:26 PM
my point was that mine is a puppy...why do I feel like I am arguing with a doorknob...I dunno....

I guess that's what happens when you argue without sense to someone who does have some. Later, QD.

hondachick22
02-24-2006, 07:15 AM
i have a white red nose pitt and he is nothing but a big baby. people should not judge any dog with out know its back ground.

quickdodge®
02-24-2006, 03:17 PM
You are ignorant as fucc, too. Shut up. Think about what you post. Re-think it. Then change your post or don't post at all. Later, QD.

The Golden Child
02-24-2006, 04:34 PM
i can say my pitt is nice but you never know when there gunna snap ..
it also applys to any dog if you play to rough and they dont like it they will snap ..
just cause you raised a dog since it was a puppy doesnt mean it will be nice forever ..
ive had pitts for quite awhile and i have not ever been snapped on ..
but many of my friends dogs back home in new york have snapped at me luckily no blood and i used to play with them on a everyday basis ..
now for people some people just dont like pitts because of there breed ..
some people love them because of there look and size ..
others like them for fighting reasons ..
i can honestly say any dog can be used for fighting from huskies to rotts to retrivers to collies cause ive seen this all first hand ..
but anyway this thread is about how sad it is to see dogs put to fighting and to prevent it from happeneing ..
but guess what its gunna keep happening and aint no one gunna stop it ..
thats life people are too blind to see ..
ive seen many dog fights and yea i was young and dumb and i was into it also ..
but after growing up and realizing the situations im totally against it ..
i go on runs with my pitt and when people see me they go across the street or far away or others come to pet her ..
she loves people but like i said you never know when pitts will snap ..
when my friends come over i tell them you play rough shell play rough also ..
and im not held responsible for any blood spilling ..

quickdodge®
02-24-2006, 09:14 PM
i can say my pitt is nice but you never know when there gunna snap ..
it also applys to any dog if you play to rough and they dont like it they will snap ..
just cause you raised a dog since it was a puppy doesnt mean it will be nice forever ..

That's all I've been trying to say the whole time. But ignorant idiots don't see it that way. Oh well. Later, QD.

The Golden Child
02-25-2006, 12:33 AM
That's all I've been trying to say the whole time. But ignorant idiots don't see it that way. Oh well. Later, QD.

its ok QD wooo sahhhh ..
some people just dont get it ..

TIGERJC
02-26-2006, 02:37 AM
I've seen some very sweet Pits, but I will always be a bit weary around pitbulls simply because they DO have a trait of snapping. They are usually very protective also, so if you make the wrong move, your goin' to the hospital. Then again, one time me and this girl were playin' around and I accidently smacked her Pit in the head with my elbow hard as hell, but he just shook it off lol... When I first did I was like oh shit, I'm dead lmao... I don't agree with banning pitbulls or anything like that, but the owners to need to be more responsible than a poodle owner... just cause your Pit is friendly 99% of the time, doesn't mean he won't attack someones dog, kid, or them without an apparent reason.

I AGREE. i have always been cautious around big dogs period, b/c i was 6-8 times by roc in the earlier 90's and chased by pits 2-4 times in the late 90's. I have actually been bitten 3 times. I dont trust the breed, b/c i know why a lot ppl buy those kind of dogs for. No dog is a safe bet, but when i see a roc or pit my guards goes up anyway. 3 months ago my little cousins were playing basketball and my neighbor pit chases them and corners them back up in the garage, and without thinking twice i grabbed my golf club and hit the dog. The entire time this was going on the owner is telling my cousins he is just playing. Now the dog didnt bite them but the fear i saw in thier eyes I had to react. I understand why ppl are afraid of pits b/c the breed looks aggresive and has a repuation to attack.I will never own a pit or roc, i really dont like the dogs b/c of the majority ppl who have them. But i dont think they should be ban, should be more severe punishment when these dogs do a attack, so ppl will think twice before owning these larger and more bad rep breeds.

2thAche
02-26-2006, 07:26 AM
The problem is, dogs require training. And unfortunately for the most part all the wrong people buy pitbulls. I'm certainly not saying that there aren't responsible people who can train and keep them well. But I think they are the minority.

Seems like every month a pitbull chews up some kid somewhere. Most of you are probably young and don't have kids, but when you do, see how you feel about the dirtbags down the street with two pitbulls just tied to a screw-in stake outside with no fence. That was my clue that it was time to move out.

I'll tell you this much, after you have kids, the rights of pets suddenly diminishes compared to any remote possibility that your kid might get harmed.

quickdodge®
02-26-2006, 08:26 AM
I'll tell you this much, after you have kids, the rights of pets suddenly diminishes compared to any remote possibility that your kid might get harmed.

True. But, unfortunately, a lot of people don't see it that way. It seems that the dog is put in front of the children the way some people act. "My child's safe. Fucc it." Later, QD.

Jaimecbr900
03-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Nice discussion.

I personally love all dogs, BUT am very weary of the notorious one such as pits.

Would I have my kids around a Pit? Doubtful.

Would I be panic stricken around a Pit? Doubtful.

Am I leary of the breed? Absolutely.

I'm a big dog lover. I love big brawny breeds. So a Pit would normally be right up my alley. I love strong muscular rough and tumble dogs you can really play with and are protective of the family. I've always loved the German Shepperd breed. It's my absolute favorite. But what do I have now????? 3 mutts from the pound. I love my guys too.

Problem for ME with Pits is that genetically they are a ticking time bomb the vast majority of the time. Why? Because of terrible breeding by irresponsible people. You have no clue where their genetic line came from 99% of the time. They could of come from great dispositioned dogs, or they could very well came from a fighter. 99% of the time, there is no real way to know except to trust the breeder selling you the dog. Problem there is that the majority of breeders of Pits could care less to who and for what they sell these dogs. It's about the money to most. That's where the cycle of bad breed management starts and it ends when one of those bad genes surfaces all over an unsuspecting child.

The breed itself is a beautiful breed. The dog is a mass of muscle and beautiful body. Great looking dog. Problem comes in that those jaws are designed and CAN easily inflict a world of hurt when the grey stuff a few inches above them tells it to. A tea cup poodle, no matter how derrangly insanely mad it gets, can't chew it's way out of a wet paper bag. So even if it goes berzerk, it really can't do much damage. A pit???? A pit can kill, period. Yes, so can many other dogs, but the pits physical traits cause it to be the MAGNUM powered of dogs.

It's like giving someone a gun, telling them it mysteriously misfires all by itself, but ONLY every once in a while if ever. Would you buy that gun? Would anyone in their right mind buy that gun? Well the same premise goes, unfortunately, for the Pits. Many many good pits receive the treatment of those that aren't so good.

What real and responsible Pit owners SHOULD do is to work towards changing the breeds popularity among the thugs of society. I'd venture to say that more than half of all Pit owners own a Pit to show it off to their friends and try to impress people because they saw their favorite artist on TV toting one around. Those are the same people that self crop their ears and tails with rubber bands, send them to fight for a few bucks, only to then turn around and either kill or turn loose when the dog requires too much maintainance or money. They are the ones ruining the breed. It's unfortunate but true.

2thAche
03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
It's like giving someone a gun, telling them it mysteriously misfires all by itself, but ONLY every once in a while if ever. Would you buy that gun? Would anyone in their right mind buy that gun? Well the same premise goes, unfortunately, for the Pits. Many many good pits receive the treatment of those that aren't so good.

Well put. Dogs were all bred for a purpose, herding, protecting, fighting etc., not only for looks but for temperment and what type of work they would do. You can't take the genetic programming out of the dog, it has been bred in for hundreds of years.

This reminds me of when everyone was buying dalmations after the "101 dalmations" remake came out. Then they were bringing them back to the pound/vets because dalmations are naturally a very antsy, hyper dog. It takes alot of training or you just have a hyper dog that chews everything. But dumb@ss people just think you buy the thing and feed it, and it acts like on the movie. Feh.

nautiboi73
03-01-2006, 09:51 PM
My two dogs. And I am beyond the Media Hype if you have the time, read my paper on APBT below \/
http://organizedntint.com/pics/TD/051705%20022.jpg

http://organizedntint.com/pics/TD/051805%20002.jpg

http://organizedntint.com/BC/mediabite.html

Dragonfly5338
03-01-2006, 11:58 PM

Very good points~!!!

I love Arsalan's pit Remy to death - she's such a big sweet baby. However, after playing ball with her one evening I have bruises all over my legs just from where she nipped accidentally. She didn't mean it at all, though. But it's never a smart idea to underestimate the power of certain dogs' jaws - and it's especially stupid to assume a strange dog will not attack you. Be it pit, rottie or yorkie. (I've known some mean ass yorkies, haha)

Jaimecbr900
03-02-2006, 10:21 AM
My two dogs. And I am beyond the Media Hype if you have the time, read my paper on APBT below \/
http://organizedntint.com/pics/TD/051705%20022.jpg

http://organizedntint.com/pics/TD/051805%20002.jpg

http://organizedntint.com/BC/mediabite.html

Not a bad paper. I didn't read it's entirety, but did skim over it and read your viewpoint.

What you are failing to acknowledge is something you mentioned in your own paper. The breeds GENETIC traits put it at risk from birth to have the perpensity to be a dangerous animal, even if it's only to other animals (even by the admission of most pit owners).

In other words, the breed has a genetic disposition to be very viscious towards other animals. So unfortunately for the breed, there is not a far leap from another animals to humans. And in the Pit's defense, there are many many "biting" breeds that are more notorious for biting than others, BUT when a Pit does bite......it causes a heck of a lot more damage than even those breeds that are also notorious biters. This is where the breed's bad reputation and subsequent bad press comes in.

You are right, pits do get more "press time" than other dogs which bite. Reason is two fold: 1. it sells and 2. it happens. When it does happen, it's usually not a pretty outcome and thereby helps #1. If a German Shepperd or a Rott bites someone and it doesn't mame them, it doesn't sell. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that it wasn't as sensational as when a Pit chews on a small child. The problem for Pits is that those bite incidents DO OCCUR and when they DO occur they cause a lot of damage due to the physical traits of the dog. They are super strong and powerful dogs. Yes, media hype does inflate the perception that a pitbull attack happens daily, but were it not for irresponsible pit owners the attacks would happen less frequently and therefore wouldn't be so juicy front page material for media outlets.

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Not a bad paper. I didn't read it's entirety, but did skim over it and read your viewpoint.

wish you would have so that you could see some fact about Misidentification of atacks.

What you are failing to acknowledge is something you mentioned in your own paper. The breeds GENETIC traits put it at risk from birth to have the perpensity to be a dangerous animal, even if it's only to other animals (even by the admission of most pit owners).

That is a trait that is charateristic of most TERRRIERS.

In other words, the breed has a genetic disposition to be very viscious towards other animals. So unfortunately for the breed, there is not a far leap from another animals to humans. And in the Pit's defense, there are many many "biting" breeds that are more notorious for biting than others, BUT when a Pit does bite......it causes a heck of a lot more damage than even those breeds that are also notorious biters. This is where the breed's bad reputation and subsequent bad press comes in.

vicious is the wrong word to use, that is a media word. they tend to be tenacious. as most TERRIERS are.

You are right, pits do get more "press time" than other dogs which bite. Reason is two fold: 1. it sells and 2. it happens. When it does happen, it's usually not a pretty outcome and thereby helps #1. If a German Shepperd or a Rott bites someone and it doesn't mame them, it doesn't sell. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that it wasn't as sensational as when a Pit chews on a small child.

yes it does happen, so does 14,000 other cases a day in the US alone (according to the CDC). Oh and take in mind that there is not one breed of dog that is not responsible for a human death. NOT ONE.

The problem for Pits is that those bite incidents DO OCCUR and when they DO occur they cause a lot of damage due to the physical traits of the dog. They are super strong and powerful dogs. Yes, media hype does inflate the perception that a pitbull attack happens daily, but were it not for irresponsible pit owners the attacks would happen less frequently and therefore wouldn't be so juicy front page material for media outlets.

Physical traits such as what? their anotomy is the exact same as anyother dog. they do have a pronounced jaw muslce but nothing else can be formed from that difference. even bitting force CANNOT BE MEASURED in any dog, only assumed.
now if you comment on their will not to let go of what they have bitten that is different form dog to dog.

there are no BAD DOGS. Period,
just Bad owners.

Jaimecbr900
03-02-2006, 03:40 PM
wish you would have so that you could see some fact about Misidentification of atacks.

I did read that part, and honestly that's splitting hairs IMO.

What difference does it make if the dog that mauls someone is FULL blooded AKC registered American Pit bull Terrier or he's a not so registered and recognized pedigreed dog???? There certainly is no mistaking a Pitbull for a Lab. There certainly is no mistaking a Pitbull for a Shitzu. So, if the dog is a full blooded dog or he's a badly inbred example is symantics IMO. Instead of splitting that hair, maybe you should focus those efforts to pursuing the crappy owners of the breed you like.

That is a trait that is charateristic of most TERRRIERS.

So is being irritable, short tempered, have the "big dog" syndrome, etc....what's that got to do with it? Regardless of WHERE these things came from, they are there aren't they.....THAT is the point. The big difference is that unlike the little sissy ass Schnauzer that roams my house aggravating the shit out of me, your PIT which shares a tiny shred of the genetics of a dog like mine CAN KILL if it decided to. My Schnauzer, my 6 yr old son could defend himself against in the worst case scenario. Against a Pit of any size above a pup, he'd have ZERO chance. THAT is the point.

I'm not blaming the dog. I'm saying that much like shooting yourself with a BB gun vs shooting yourself with a 357 Magnum, there is a BIG difference should an accident happen with a Pit vs a tea cup poodle. Right or wrong?

vicious is the wrong word to use, that is a media word. they tend to be tenacious. as most TERRIERS are.

Viscious was the word you used in your paper as a direct quote from somewhere else. So, I guess you're perpetuating the very thing you don't want others to do then.

yes it does happen, so does 14,000 other cases a day in the US alone (according to the CDC). Oh and take in mind that there is not one breed of dog that is not responsible for a human death. NOT ONE.

#1- Not all 14,000 of those "bites" resulted in deaths. I'm willing to bet that if you calculated a ratio of actual recorded "bites" to deaths caused due to those bites and ran that number for each of the breeds out there, you'd probably see what I'm saying. It's not that the Pits do ALL the biting. It's that WHEN they do, it's not good for the one being biten.

#2- I seriously doubt that such a generalization would even be able to be verified about EVERY breed has been resposible for a "death". Show me one documented "death" caused by a Tea Cup Poodle biting someone. Show me one documented "death" caused by a Pomeranian. I highly doubt you or anyone else could.

Physical traits such as what?

Such as lean muscle mass, powerful muscles, strong neck muscles, strong jaw muscles, large wide heads, wide shoulders, etc.

their anotomy is the exact same as anyother dog.

Again, splitting hairs IMO.

Yes, all dogs have 1 heart, 2 lungs, a liver, an intestines....but that doesn't make ALL dogs anatomically the same any more than all humans are.

they do have a pronounced jaw muslce but nothing else can be formed from that difference.

So I guess you did find atleast 1 thing that contradicts your statement above. What do you think those "muscles" can be used for? What do they do? All dogs have the same muscle, but certainly not ALL dogs have the same strength in them.....just like all humans have biceps, but not all biceps are the same size or strength.

even bitting force CANNOT BE MEASURED in any dog, only assumed.
now if you comment on their will not to let go of what they have bitten that is different form dog to dog.

Incorrect.

It can certainly be measured, just no assumptions made as to THAT being the benchmark for any breed due to other factors that go into it. So, just because one example of one breed bites at 200 psi cannot logically mean that ALL dogs of that breed will bite at 200 psi everytime. That would be retarded to think that because a dogs motivation, condition, training, etc all play a part in the ultimate result. Still doesn't mean it can't be measured. You just can't make any final judgements based solely on that.

there are no BAD DOGS. Period,
just Bad owners.

I tend to agree with you, but how do you explain those dogs that have been with the same owner their entire life with the owner NEVER mistreating the dog and then it suddenly turns on it's owner unexpectedly. We've all read about case after case of exactly that. How about that dog that turns on a child which it had always played with it's entire life?

How about dogs that have spent YEARS in training, such as Police dogs? Those dogs are TRAINED on how to do things even in the worst of situations. Even those dogs have turned on their handlers or innocent bystanders EVENTHOUGH all their training was taught otherwise. Where'd that come from? GENETICS. INSTINCTS. These are domesticated ANIMALS. Some more ANIMALS than others. YOU nor I can EVER take away the genetic disposition of ANY animal. EVER. It's that simple. The question is are you or anyone else exposed to ANY given animal going to have the ability to defend itself against it should it turn on you for WHATEVER reason. If the answer is NO, then you HAVE to prudently be weary of that animal regardless. You'd be a fool not to. If you can defend yourself against it, then there should be no fear IMO. Is that not logical enough to you?

Look, I'm a big animal lover, especifically a large dog lover. So I totally understand you having strong feelings about your particular dog. Yours may be the greatest Pit ever. I really hope he is. I'm just saying that I'll go around a Pit that I feel safe around and those that I don't I would avoid. I'm also saying that as a PARENT, I wouldn't let my children around a PIT or any other large dog w/o ME being there to protect them in case of an accident. Why? Because of all the reasons I've given above. If you or anyone else doesn't CHOOSE to make the same decisions for YOUR family, that's fine. I understand completely. Just don't look down on me for being protective. After all, I'm not walking around with a gun killing pits or advocating anyone to do so.

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 08:14 PM
wow love that personal attack at me when you don't know me or my dogs from Adam or rover.

I will get to some other points that have tried to make in a little while...

Jaimecbr900
03-02-2006, 08:21 PM
wow love that personal attack at me when you don't know me or my dogs from Adam or rover.

I never took a single personal attack at you or your dog. As a matter of fact, I mentioned that I hoped your dog was the best pit in the world.

Point to what you are referring to as a personal attack.

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 08:27 PM
I did read that part, and honestly that's splitting hairs IMO.

What difference does it make if the dog that mauls someone is FULL blooded AKC registered American Pit bull Terrier or he's a not so registered and recognized pedigreed dog???? There certainly is no mistaking a Pitbull for a Lab. There certainly is no mistaking a Pitbull for a Shitzu. So, if the dog is a full blooded dog or he's a badly inbred example is symantics IMO. Instead of splitting that hair, maybe you should focus those efforts to pursuing the crappy owners of the breed you like.

There do exist cases that accuse a APBT of a bite, to find out later after investigation that it was a totally different breed altogether. An Akita once, in a police report. Now you and I may know the difference but not everyone does.

Not really splitting hairs IMO because it is the difference between you being accused of a crime and someone who fits your description doing a crime. Between a car like yours speeding and you speeding. If you are misidentified then you might feel the burden that this breed feels. An unjust reputation.

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 08:29 PM
I never took a single personal attack at you or your dog. As a matter of fact, I mentioned that I hoped your dog was the best pit in the world.

Point to what you are referring to as a personal attack.
you are correct..sorry misread.
read

crappy owners of the breed you like.

and saw
crappy owners of the breed like you. :doh:

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
ISo is being irritable, short tempered, have the "big dog" syndrome, etc....what's that got to do with it? Regardless of WHERE these things came from, they are there aren't they.....THAT is the point. The big difference is that unlike the little sissy ass Schnauzer that roams my house aggravating the shit out of me, your PIT which shares a tiny shred of the genetics of a dog like mine CAN KILL if it decided to. My Schnauzer, my 6 yr old son could defend himself against in the worst case scenario. Against a Pit of any size above a pup, he'd have ZERO chance. THAT is the point.

I'm not blaming the dog. I'm saying that much like shooting yourself with a BB gun vs shooting yourself with a 357 Magnum, there is a BIG difference should an accident happen with a Pit vs a tea cup poodle. Right or wrong?

irritable, short tempered and have a syndrome? Where do you get this things? Personal experience or myths?

Terriers in general are very well tempted pets. Including the APBT and Amstaffs. They were breed this way from the beginning. Now small dog have a syndrome, and are ill tempered. Most Large dog, again in general, are gentle with humans and other dogs for that matter.

I can’t comment on your “sissy ass Schnauzer” :lol

but any dog with teeth can kill. There are reports of babies being killed by jealous tea cup poodles and other toy breeds. Babies are humans right? Well that is where I get the NO Breed can claim Asylum from a human death.

So any dog can kill. The question is their motive, and desire. So give the right motive and a strong enough desire your “sissy ass schnauzer” could harm you if he felt the drive and had the motive. Now I hope that never happens and more than likely it will not.

Against a pit and have zero chance? Well against 90% of any medium to large breed, he may not have a chance. So to single out the Pit is not justified, in that scenario.

Yea like being hit by a tricycle and being hit by a train, right or wrong? Yea there is a big difference and yea one is more likely to cause serious harm then the other, but the APBT is not the largest dog by far, good analogy, bad application IMO. In that scenario you only take size into play where there are other things such as drive, will, location of the bite, shot, that play a major role in the outcome.

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
#1- Not all 14,000 of those "bites" resulted in deaths. I'm willing to bet that if you calculated a ratio of actual recorded "bites" to deaths caused due to those bites and ran that number for each of the breeds out there, you'd probably see what I'm saying. It's not that the Pits do ALL the biting. It's that WHEN they do, it's not good for the one being biten.

#2- I seriously doubt that such a generalization would even be able to be verified about EVERY breed has been resposible for a "death". Show me one documented "death" caused by a Tea Cup Poodle biting someone. Show me one documented "death" caused by a Pomeranian. I highly doubt you or anyone else could.

1. I never claimed anything about 14,000 deaths, only that that may incidents happen daily on average. And I am sure that it is not good for anyone being bitten, in any case. And how can you get a accurate ratio when there is so much misidentification??

2. a quick google search provided this

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=poodle+killed+baby (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=poodle+killed+baby)

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2001/pomeranian.html (http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2001/pomeranian.html)

Tracy
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
I feel sick! Really. I love animals so much. I can't believe anyone would do that to an animal.

I think that every dog has the potential to bite. I don't hold it against any of them. They're animals. They don't speak. You can't tell them it's ok (I mean you can, but they don't speak english. I think they recognize tone of voice for the most part). They can't make their own decisions for the most part, their owners do it for them.

Brandon's dog never bit anyone (he's not a pit. he's some kind of mut :)) until he bit me! I have known the dog for 5 years. He has been at my shop everyday for almost 4. He bit me when Dan and I were play fighting...hard as hell. I had a bruise the size of 2 baseballs for like a month. It was like an instinct. I could tell he didn't mean it. As soon as he did it he knew it was wrong. He ran and hid and wouldn't come near me for like 3 weeks. I don't hold it against him. I'm just naturally a little more careful about what I do around him.

I guess my point in telling about Brandon's dog is that any dog can bite you at anytime for any reason. I'm pretty sure it's not brand (:)) specific. It's the risk we as humans take when we deal with an animal...period. I don't think they should die for it. They didn't ask to be brought into our homes and play with us and our children. They don't have that voice.

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Again, splitting hairs IMO.

Yes, all dogs have 1 heart, 2 lungs, a liver, an intestines....but that doesn't make ALL dogs anatomically the same any more than all humans are.

So I guess you did find atleast 1 thing that contradicts your statement above. What do you think those "muscles" can be used for? What do they do? All dogs have the same muscle, but certainly not ALL dogs have the same strength in them.....just like all humans have biceps, but not all biceps are the same size or strength.

Incorrect.

It can certainly be measured, just no assumptions made as to THAT being the benchmark for any breed due to other factors that go into it. So, just because one example of one breed bites at 200 psi cannot logically mean that ALL dogs of that breed will bite at 200 psi everytime. That would be retarded to think that because a dogs motivation, condition, training, etc all play a part in the ultimate result. Still doesn't mean it can't be measured. You just can't make any final judgements based solely on that.

True not all humans have the same size muclse but by looking at the size of something alone doesn’t equal a accuate result.

Lets look at eh strong man contest. Most of those guys don’t appear as strong as say a body builder may, matter of fact to me most of them look fat. But to assume that a body builder has more muscle mass and thus my be stronger then the guy with less is not accurate.

“Pit Bulls have more bite pressure per square inch (PSI) than any other breed.” This is pure speculation at best, damaging myth at worse. There have been no exhaustive studies conducted to prove that Pit Bulls have the strongest jaws of any breed. There likely could not be any truly conclusive testing done to measure something like strongest breed PSI. A reason for this lies in the fact that dogs bite with varying pressure depending upon the situation, and what factors are driving the bite at that particular point in time. A dog cannot be instructed to bite down on a measuring device as hard as possible, so a tester could have no way of knowing whether or not a particular dog being tested is actually using its jaws to capacity in any given testing phase. There is also large size variation in any breed, and one must assume strength varies as well. A very large (but not typical or standard) Pit Bull may bite harder than a small Rottweiler, German Shepherd, or other breed, while a standard sized Pit Bull may not have as much jaw power as a larger, typical sized Rottweiler, etc. Also, if one breed is to claim “highest bite pressure”, all breeds would have to be compared. All 500+ of them.

Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs. There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of ‘pounds per square inch’ can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data. (From the ADBA booklet, “Discover the American Pit Bull Terrier.)

so not just my speculation but Dr. Brisbin’s thoughts on the subject.

Jaimecbr900
03-02-2006, 09:38 PM
irritable, short tempered and have a syndrome? Where do you get this things? Personal experience or myths?

You totally misunderstood, but it looks like you got it down below.

TERRIERS, the majority of which are NOT PITS or Amstaffs and are usually rather small in stature, DO in fact posses those traits that I listed. So therefore it stands to conclude that just like the good, the Pit breed will also inherit the bad traits of the Terriers. Difference is, like my analogy of BB gun vs 357 magnum, small Terriers couldn't put down a grown man where even a half grown Pit easily could if motivated enough.

You are still glossing over my point which I've made abundantly clear. If you don't agree with it, say that. Don't gloss over it though. It's very simple. A full grown half healthy Pit can inflict a ton of damage if and when it decides to and YOU or noone else can do much about it. Now, a wimpy ass yap yap dog can TRY all it wants but in reality it can't do much damage even if it TRIED. Can a German Shepperd do it too? Sure. Can a Rot? Of course. Problem is that the Pit's natural perpensity and genetics make it more dangerous because of unscrupulous breeding than other breeds brings out and accents those traits.

Terriers in general are very well tempted pets. Including the APBT and Amstaffs. They were breed this way from the beginning. Now small dog have a syndrome, and are ill tempered. Most Large dog, again in general, are gentle with humans and other dogs for that matter.

That's what I was trying to tell you before. The majority of Terriers are not PIts, but are much smaller examples. Therefore, just like I said above, the Pits will inherit (sometimes) some of those traits. Again, the big difference is that if a Pit decides to play dominant role, IT CAN. Problem is that if a Pit decides to lose it's temper, IT CAN.

I can’t comment on your “sissy ass Schnauzer” :lol

Trust me, that dog is here under protest from me. It's the wife's. He gets outside with my big mutts that are 3x's his size and he starts to growling at them and acting like the Alpha. My 90 lb Lab and my 50 lb Lab back down from his bluffing ass of all of 20 lbs. Go figure. But if I just look at him wrong, he literally pisses himself :rolleyes: .

but any dog with teeth can kill. There are reports of babies being killed by jealous tea cup poodles and other toy breeds. Babies are humans right? Well that is where I get the NO Breed can claim Asylum from a human death.

I'd love to see it. I've held a real Tea Cup poodle literally in the palm of my hand, so I find it almost impossible for it to be able to hurt anything. Post a link because I'm very curious about that.

So any dog can kill. The question is their motive, and desire. So give the right motive and a strong enough desire your “sissy ass schnauzer” could harm you if he felt the drive and had the motive. Now I hope that never happens and more than likely it will not.

Well, he growled at my son ONCE..... ;) After he and I reached an "understanding", he's not done it again...... ;)

Against a pit and have zero chance? Well against 90% of any medium to large breed, he may not have a chance. So to single out the Pit is not justified, in that scenario.

I agree. I'm not singling out the Pit alone, except for the purposes of this discussion. Like I said, I wouldn't leave my kids near any dog that has the potential to hurt them. Be it a Pit, German Shepperd, Rot, Boa Constrictor, or anything they couldn't defend themselves against. So, I agree with you.

Yea like being hit by a tricycle and being hit by a train, right or wrong? Yea there is a big difference and yea one is more likely to cause serious harm then the other, but the APBT is not the largest dog by far, go analogy, bad application IMO. In that scenario you only take size into play where there are other things such as drive, will, location of the bite, shot, that play a major role in the outcome.

Yes, but remember that for the purpose of this discussion we are only referring to the Pits. I've admitted and agreed with you that there are other dogs that can be just as dangerous. It's not always about size necessarily, but for comparo purposes.....the Pit does present more of a threat than say a Shitzu, right? Well, many many people have been ankle biten by Shitzu's. As a matter of fact, small little yap yap dogs like that like to be ankle biters and do like to nip at little kids a lot. My point is NOT that Pits are the most prolific biters. My point is that WHEN they do, their physical/psychological/genetic traits make it a very powerful weapon when it's fired. So therefore, it is prudent and smart for people to give respect to those facts.

Should the Pit have the rep it does? I think there's no way now to reverse that.

Should Pits be banned? I don't think so personally.

Are all Pits bad? No.

How can you tell? THAT's the hard part. You can have the most docile Pit in the world and then suddenly it snaps for some reason and things happen.

Look, don't take my debate personally. Like I said, I think the breed is a beautiful breed. IF I had no kids, I'd would think about owning one because I am partial to big powerful dogs. But as a parent, I can't afford to make a mistake of that magnitude. So, don't think for a minute I'm trying to bad mouth you or your choice of dog. I'm just airing out my opinion out loud.

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 09:40 PM
I feel sick! Really. I love animals so much. I can't believe anyone would do that to an animal.

I think that every dog has the potential to bite. I don't hold it against any of them. They're animals. They don't speak. You can't tell them it's ok (I mean you can, but they don't speak english. I think they recognize tone of voice for the most part). They can't make their own decisions for the most part, their owners do it for them.

Brandon's dog never bit anyone (he's not a pit. he's some kind of mut :)) until he bit me! I have known the dog for 5 years. He has been at my shop everyday for almost 4. He bit me when Dan and I were play fighting...hard as hell. I had a bruise the size of 2 baseballs for like a month. It was like an instinct. I could tell he didn't mean it. As soon as he did it he knew it was wrong. He ran and hid and wouldn't come near me for like 3 weeks. I don't hold it against him. I'm just naturally a little more careful about what I do around him.

I guess my point in telling about Brandon's dog is that any dog can bite you at anytime for any reason. I'm pretty sure it's not brand (:)) specific. It's the risk we as humans take when we deal with an animal...period. I don't think they should die for it. They didn't ask to be brought into our homes and play with us and our children. They don't have that voice.

sorry to hear about your bite. but the dog instincts where to Protect the Pack. you where figthing with the Alpha for all he knew and instinct told him to stop you. once he saw that the Alpha was not in danger he felt guilt and sorry for what he did. I am sure that the will lick you and make up soon enoguh.

I'm glad you saw it as human error and not evil dog. :bigok:

Tracy
03-02-2006, 09:45 PM
sorry to hear about your bite. but the dog instincts where to Protect the Pack. you where figthing with the Alpha for all he knew and instinct told him to stop you. once he saw that the Alpha was not in danger he felt guilt and sorry for what he did. I am sure that the will lick you and make up soon enoguh.

I know he's not evil. I love him. He's the sweetest and smartest dog I have ever met. Dan and I were play fighting and everyone was telling him to get me and he did for once. :eek: We had actually played that game before with the dog...for years as a matter of fact. Usually he would just bark and act like he was going to do something...until this time :eye:

We made up already, it was like 5 months ago.

Jaimecbr900
03-02-2006, 09:51 PM

Exactly my point as a vivid real life example.

Tracy KNEW this dog. She was around this dog for YEARS. Never a problem, until something seemingly small happened and the dog turned. Up until that point, she'd not give the dog a second thought about biting. I bet it's slightly different now, even though she clearly understands and doesn't blame the dog per se. She now KNOWS it's capable of biting HER, right?

Like I said, had that been a full grown Pit.....do you think her bruise would have been smaller or bigger or God forbid worse? THAT is my point.

The dog acted instinctively. It really couldn't control itself and under 99.9% of other situations it would've not done a thing. But that .1 time is the one that hurts.

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 09:54 PM
I tend to agree with you, but how do you explain those dogs that have been with the same owner their entire life with the owner NEVER mistreating the dog and then it suddenly turns on it's owner unexpectedly. We've all read about case after case of exactly that. How about that dog that turns on a child which it had always played with it's entire life?

How about dogs that have spent YEARS in training, such as Police dogs? Those dogs are TRAINED on how to do things even in the worst of situations. Even those dogs have turned on their handlers or innocent bystanders EVENTHOUGH all their training was taught otherwise. Where'd that come from? GENETICS. INSTINCTS. These are domesticated ANIMALS. Some more ANIMALS than others. YOU nor I can EVER take away the genetic disposition of ANY animal. EVER. It's that simple. The question is are you or anyone else exposed to ANY given animal going to have the ability to defend itself against it should it turn on you for WHATEVER reason. If the answer is NO, then you HAVE to prudently be weary of that animal regardless. You'd be a fool not to. If you can defend yourself against it, then there should be no fear IMO. Is that not logical enough to you?

Look, I'm a big animal lover, especifically a large dog lover. So I totally understand you having strong feelings about your particular dog. Yours may be the greatest Pit ever. I really hope he is. I'm just saying that I'll go around a Pit that I feel safe around and those that I don't I would avoid. I'm also saying that as a PARENT, I wouldn't let my children around a PIT or any other large dog w/o ME being there to protect them in case of an accident. Why? Because of all the reasons I've given above. If you or anyone else doesn't CHOOSE to make the same decisions for YOUR family, that's fine. I understand completely. Just don't look down on me for being protective. After all, I'm not walking around with a gun killing pits or advocating anyone to do so.

I tend not to go along with the never mistreat a dog and it turns on owner.

Reason, there is always a reason, even if it is unknown to us.

“Pit Bulls ‘turn’ on their owners.” Dogs, as a species, do not perform behaviors “just because”. There are always reasons for behavior, and when aggression becomes a problem the reasons can be such things as improper handling, lack of socialization or training, a misreading of dog behavior by the owner, or, rarely, disease. Aggression, when it presents in pet dogs, follows specific patterns. First occur warning signs, then more warning signs, and finally, when those signs are continually ignored or misinterpreted, the dog resorts to using its teeth. When an owner is startled by a sudden, aggressive outburst, it is because they have been unaware of problems that were brewing. This is true of all dogs, not just Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls, indeed no dogs, “turn” on their owners.

Instinct what a wonderful little trait. You know the best part about Instinct. You can learn it, and use it. Sad, although true, NOTHING and no one is perfcet. So even a trained dog, if stressed, neglected or for any reason can have a breakdown and lose track of the job at hand, so to speak.

Oh I don’t have any hard feelings toward you or your comments. But I have a personal investment in educating anyone about dog in general not just my breed. I can see your views and your concern about your family, and don’t look down on anyone. Just speaking my mind, that’s all.

I hope that no one is walking around with a gun killing any dog.

Tracy
03-02-2006, 09:56 PM

Tracy KNEW this dog. She was around this dog for YEARS. Never a problem, until something seemingly small happened and the dog turned. Up until that point, she'd not give the dog a second thought about biting. I bet it's slightly different now, even though she clearly understands and doesn't blame the dog per se. She now KNOWS it's capable of biting HER, right?

Like I said, had that been a full grown Pit.....do you think her bruise would have been smaller or bigger or God forbid worse? THAT is my point.

The dog acted instinctively. It really couldn't control itself and under 99.9% of other situations it would've not done a thing. But that .1 time is the one that hurts.

It was a lot more than a bruise (the bruise just stayed for a loooong time). He broke the skin. That's neither here nor there :)

I hear everyone's point....I just wanted to say that it could happen with any dog IMO. Not just Pitt's.

Jaimecbr900
03-02-2006, 09:57 PM
so not just my speculation but Dr. Brisbin’s thoughts on the subject.

Actually if you read the whole thing again you'll see he is saying the same thing I was.

He says that even if you were able to measure it and get a dog to bite on command, you couldn't CONCLUDE that was a particular breed's most powerful bites because of all the other variables that go into a conclusion like that.

That's the same thing I said. You CAN measure it, but you can't conclude a "winner" of strongest bite so therefore the assumption that Pits are the "most powerful" biters is in fact not founded.

I didn't say they were the most powerful....I just said they are powerful. I think you would agree with that statement, right?

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 09:57 PM
You totally misunderstood, but it looks like you got it down below.

TERRIERS, the majority of which are NOT PITS or Amstaffs and are usually rather small in stature, DO in fact posses those traits that I listed. So therefore it stands to conclude that just like the good, the Pit breed will also inherit the bad traits of the Terriers. Difference is, like my analogy of BB gun vs 357 magnum, small Terriers couldn't put down a grown man where even a half grown Pit easily could if motivated enough.

most terriers are as large as pits. Pit range in size for 30lbs to 70lbs depending on breeding so what size are you talking about in general?
http://www.akc.org/breeds/terrier_group.cfm

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 10:06 PM
You are still glossing over my point which I've made abundantly clear. If you don't agree with it, say that. Don't gloss over it though. It's very simple. A full grown half healthy Pit can inflict a ton of damage if and when it decides to and YOU or noone else can do much about it. Now, a wimpy ass yap yap dog can TRY all it wants but in reality it can't do much damage even if it TRIED. Can a German Shepperd do it too? Sure. Can a Rot? Of course. Problem is that the Pit's natural perpensity and genetics make it more dangerous because of unscrupulous breeding than other breeds brings out and accents those traits.

BUt I am not talking aobut a illbreed dog. I am talking about the True APBT. not a misbreed mut of a dog, yes those dogs are unstable as wiht many misbreed breeds, but I am focusing on the nature of an avaege full blooded APBT.
OK my take on that is that German Sheppered , ROtties, Schnazers and other dogs were Breed for protection, ie to bite a human.. they were breed for this purpose. well in teh APBT history, thery were never breed for this purpose.

AKC Breeds by Group
Terrier Group

People familiar with this Group invariably comment on the distinctive terrier personality. These are feisty, energetic dogs whose sizes range from fairly small, as in the Norfolk, Cairn or West Highland White Terrier, to the grand Airedale Terrier. Terriers typically have little tolerance for other animals, including other dogs. Their ancestors were bred to hunt and kill vermin. Many continue to project the attitude that they're always eager for a spirited argument. Most terriers have wiry coats that require special grooming known as stripping in order to maintain a characteristic appearance. In general, they make engaging pets, but require owners with the determination to match their dogs' lively characters.

TO HUNT AND KILL VERMIN... not to harm humans at all but work along side man. so Genetics would not play a role what so ever in the breed being dangerious to humans. ill-breeding, mistreatment, neglect and other things do.

I can't move past hearing you say in short " they are born dangerious".

Jaimecbr900
03-02-2006, 10:11 PM
most terriers are as large as pits. Pit range in size for 30lbs to 70lbs depending on breeding so what size are you talking about in general?
http://www.akc.org/breeds/terrier_group.cfm

You may want to look at your link a little closer.

If you do, you will see that even according to the AKC, the biggest dogs are the Pits and it's cousins the Amstaffs.

Check out each one individually. The standards are listed. Most of the terrier group are between 12-20 lbs. The Pits are up to 38 lbs. and we both know that's a small Pit.

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 10:12 PM
That's what I was trying to tell you before. The majority of Terriers are not PIts, but are much smaller examples. Therefore, just like I said above, the Pits will inherit (sometimes) some of those traits. Again, the big difference is that if a Pit decides to play dominant role, IT CAN. Problem is that if a Pit decides to lose it's temper, IT CAN.

any animal with free will CAn.

but we have to look at the probability of that happening. With the wrong owner yea any dog can assume a dominate role. Shit I have seen birds assume a dominate role. So can it happen of course. With proper breeding and the right owner, doubtful.

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Yes, but remember that for the purpose of this discussion we are only referring to the Pits. I've admitted and agreed with you that there are other dogs that can be just as dangerous. It's not always about size necessarily, but for comparo purposes.....the Pit does present more of a threat than say a Shitzu, right? Well, many many people have been ankle biten by Shitzu's. As a matter of fact, small little yap yap dogs like that like to be ankle biters and do like to nip at little kids a lot. My point is NOT that Pits are the most prolific biters. My point is that WHEN they do, their physical/psychological/genetic traits make it a very powerful weapon when it's fired. So therefore, it is prudent and smart for people to give respect to those facts.

Should the Pit have the rep it does? I think there's no way now to reverse that.

Should Pits be banned? I don't think so personally.

Are all Pits bad? No.

How can you tell? THAT's the hard part. You can have the most docile Pit in the world and then suddenly it snaps for some reason and things happen.

Look, don't take my debate personally. Like I said, I think the breed is a beautiful breed. IF I had no kids, I'd would think about owning one because I am partial to big powerful dogs. But as a parent, I can't afford to make a mistake of that magnitude. So, don't think for a minute I'm trying to bad mouth you or your choice of dog. I'm just airing out my opinion out loud.

you keep putting the APBT up agisnt ill 5 pounders :)

it is just that a debate. we :bigok: no matter..

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 10:18 PM

but are we faulting the dog or human error?

nautiboi73
03-02-2006, 10:20 PM
that was fun, well teh wife is calling to to leave this thread

for now.

Jaimecbr900
03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
OK my take on that is that German Sheppered , ROtties, Schnazers and other dogs were Breed for protection, ie to bite a human.. they were breed for this purpose. well in teh APBT history, thery were never breed for this purpose.

See now you are doing what you say people do with Pits....misinformation.

Show me where it shows here that German Shepperds were bred for the purpose of biting people:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/herding_group.cfm

The description of your dog also states that it too is protective, so does that mean it too is "bred" to bite humans then?????

I can't move past hearing you say in short " they are born dangerious".

So now you're saying the bad breeders breed "good" pups? Would you buy a Pit out of a puppy mill? IF Pits didn't have built in perpensities to attack other dogs or anything it decided to attack, why is it that it's just about the exclusive breed chosen and bred to fight for money? If German Shepperds or Rots or even diminuitive Schnauzers were so able as Pits to purposely inflict damage, WHY are they NOT chosen to fight for money?

Jaimecbr900
03-02-2006, 10:34 PM
but are we faulting the dog or human error?

Neither, my point was that had it been a pissed off Pit she would of likely been hurt worse than she was.

nautiboi73
03-03-2006, 07:23 AM
So now you're saying the bad breeders breed "good" pups? Would you buy a Pit out of a puppy mill? IF Pits didn't have built in perpensities to attack other dogs or anything it decided to attack, why is it that it's just about the exclusive breed chosen and bred to fight for money? If German Shepperds or Rots or even diminuitive Schnauzers were so able as Pits to purposely inflict damage, WHY are they NOT chosen to fight for money?

I thought we went over that that APBT is a terrier and has terrier traits and with that typically have little tolerance for other animals, including other dogs. Attack? is not the word that I would ue because that is not a trait, attack is an action. This is not the only dog that has been chosen to fight, a popular one yes, but not only. and the sad part about why they are chosen is because of their drive and willingness to please their owner. An APBT will literally die to please their owner. They have a strong will not to let go of a bite also. But inflict as much damage? That is not the sole purpose of a dog fight anyway, it is more about the dogs will and drive not to quit, no matter how much it it injured. sad as it may be but it was a sport and had rules that governed it.

nautiboi73
03-03-2006, 07:33 AM
I hear everyone's point....I just wanted to say that it could happen with any dog IMO. Not just Pitt's.
exactly.

Neither, my point was that had it been a pissed off Pit she would of likely been hurt worse than she was.

Jaime, that focus on it being a "pit" it the wrong focus. your statement would be much better off reading

"if had it been a pissed off DOG she would of likely been hurt worse than she was"

to use the "Pit” a s a form of measurement is IMO the problem at it root. The “pit” is not a form of how dangerous a dog is, it is not the measure of how bad a bite can be, it is not the measure of how bad a dog can be, it is not the measure for how tough the owner is, it is not a measure of anything, it is just a Dog.

The Golden Child
03-03-2006, 01:45 PM
It was a lot more than a bruise (the bruise just stayed for a loooong time). He broke the skin. That's neither here nor there :)

thats what i said also ..

The Green Monster
03-03-2006, 01:51 PM
fucking awesome...the best thing about this is, I'm getting a pitbull puppy tomorrow and i can't wait :D

atlshawdyfasho
03-03-2006, 08:29 PM
i just got a pitbull puppy a month or 2 ago ..i have 2 dogs..1 is a chow/terrior mix and the other is my pitbull puppy..and from what ive seen so far she is way more obidient than the chow..she learns fast and listens when she is told what to do..great dogs if treated right

The Ren
03-04-2006, 10:24 AM
I didnt bring this up for people to get in a riff about. I know QD, Brett, and I discussed this subject to great length.. my point of the video was simply this: "Dont judge a pit just because its a pit" Now saying that yes, I completely understand why alot of people are weary of pits, dobies, and rotties and they have every right to be. There are many "kinds of pitbulls".. Everything from an American Bulldog to a Staffordshire Terrier can be mistaken for a pitbull. Pitbulls are from the terrier group, and they are stubborn as all hell, and after years of talking to the vets I previously worked for, pits; terriers in general love to establish dominance, and when they feel like thier place they have established has been compramised, they will make sure that they prove they belong in that place of dominance. Every breed of dog has their own trait. Most people get labs and retrievers as family dogs for kids, assuming all of them are sweet and cuddly like you see on every tv show, but they all arn't. The vast majority is.. but not all. Im just saying that pits CAN BE very good dogs if brought up correctly, but like QD mentioned they are still dogs. ANY DOG could snap simply because they are bred from the wild dog and they still have that wild instinct somewhere in there brain.

The Green Monster
03-04-2006, 11:32 AM
^^^exactly^^^

my west highland terrier bites anyone if you come close to my mom....especially at night time...so it's not just pits

i'd have to agree and just say it's terriers in general
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/OminouSupra/IMAG0003.jpg

The Green Monster
03-05-2006, 08:48 AM
i just got my pit yesterday...great