PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to the F-14 Tomcat

ScreaminZetec
02-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Sad to see such an incredible plane go. This plane is one of the reasons I want to fly in the military. Don't know if anyone here follows military aircraft. But It is sad day that they are offically done flying.

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2006/02/16/tomcat.jpg

By Steven Komarow, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — The F-14 Tomcat, the fighter jet that soared into the national imagination in the movie Top Gun, has flown into the danger zone for the last time.

An F-14 Tomcat launches from the USS Theodore Roosevelt on Nov. 30, 2005.
U.S. Navy/HO, AP

The Navy announced Thursday that the last F-14 combat mission was completed Feb. 8, when a pair of Tomcats landed aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt after one dropped a bomb in Iraq.

Capt. William Sizemore, who flew on that last mission, said the Tomcat will be missed.

"This is one of the best airplanes ever built, and it's sad to see it go away," Sizemore said in a Navy report from the ship. "It's just a beautiful airplane. And it just looks like the ultimate fighter."

Although still swift and deadly, the F-14 is a victim of changing times. For example:

•Sophisticated missiles have made its specialty, aerial dogfighting, obsolete. Opposing aircraft target each other from miles away, often before the pilots can see each other except on radar.

•Precision bombing is the new priority, and despite modification, the Tomcat can't carry the loads of the new F/A-18 Super Hornet.

•It's too expensive in the long run. The jet that flew its first combat missions in September 1974 requires 50 hours of maintenance, compared with five to 10 hours for the Super Hornet, for each hour of flight time.

The F-14 and its Navy pilots were at the heart of the 1986 movie Top Gun, in which Tom Cruise played Maverick, an impetuous pilot training at the Navy's elite flight school in Miramar, Calif.

Top Gun enhanced the reputation of an already legendary jet, said Adm. William Fallon, the U.S. Pacific commander and a former F-14 weapons officer.

"Potential opponents, at the mere thought there might be Tomcats around, would head off the other direction," he said.

Although the Navy is better served by the newer jets, the beautiful F-14 will be missed, Fallon said. "It was the last of the pure fighters."

The Yousef
02-20-2006, 12:02 PM
the F-18 super hornet is replacing it isn't?

....such a sad sight :(
it was a gorgerous aircraft....are they getting rid of the Phoenix missile also? i was under the impression that the Tomcat was the only aircraft to have the capibilities to launch it...
and soon the F-15 will be gone also...replaced by the F-22

Brett
02-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Damn, That I hate to see, The F-14 was one of the best fighters by far ever produced. Sad to see the military retire it.

ScreaminZetec
02-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah the Super Hornet is taking over, not a bad plane but will never be a Tomcat, but it is better at what the navy needs now an all around fighter/bomber and the F-18 does both very well. And from what I have heard the Phoenix will go out of service with the Tomcat. But you can't blame the Navy for retiring the missle, they cost about a million each. :eek:

The Yousef
02-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Yeah the Super Hornet is taking over, not a bad plane but will never be a Tomcat, but it is better at what the navy needs now an all around fighter/bomber and the F-18 does both very well. And from what I have heard the Phoenix will go out of service with the Tomcat. But you can't blame the Navy for retiring the missle, they cost about a million each. :eek:

yeah...that's a wee bit expensive :eek:

speedminded
02-20-2006, 12:12 PM
50 hours of maintenance with every hour of flying?!!!

SilverStoneZ
02-20-2006, 12:35 PM
and soon the F-15 will be gone also...replaced by the F-22

The F-22A Raptor oh such a beautiful machine the declassified info on that thing is amazing it can fly at a 45 degree angle at 80mph and stay in the sky out accelerate about any other made to date and it can take out a group of 5 enemy fighters with them having no idea where the shots came from before they are all dead.

but sad to see the F-14 go it was a nice one but than again the new JSF the navy is gonna get is pretty nice also

ScreaminZetec
02-20-2006, 02:04 PM

Yeah, its an extremely complex plane and was very advanced for its time, which makes it a bit of a maintainace nightmare.

NAIZBST
02-20-2006, 02:05 PM
my grandfather helped build the F-14 tomcat at Grumman
it will be missed

Stormhammer
02-20-2006, 02:09 PM
:(

I never like seeing history being retired

RBpoweredSileighty
02-20-2006, 02:14 PM
that really sucks. the f-14 was one of my fave. planes when i was growing up.

ScreaminZetec
02-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Yep, The Tomcat demo at airshows was always the best. I like it more than the blues angles or the thunderbirds. Just an amazing feeling when the afterburners rattle your chest from a few thousand feet away.

collins
02-20-2006, 09:20 PM
i've always liked the f16 over the f14, but hey thats just me...

ScreaminZetec
02-21-2006, 07:24 AM
i've always liked the f16 over the f14, but hey thats just me...

Another great fighter, probably one of the most successful fighters. Its like the sportscar of the fighter world. My buddy is Air National Guard and its always fun going out to his base to watch the 16s go fly. Very impressive plane.

tony
02-21-2006, 07:37 AM
I grew up at a base where F-15's were common but to see an F-14 fly in had to be the coolest thing.. it just has a presence about it.

{X}Echo419
02-21-2006, 08:22 AM

was it a Dodge? :lmfao:

1439/2000
02-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Well bigger and better I guess, even the stealth bombers are like 20 now.

AtlE30
02-21-2006, 10:24 AM
that was a classic plane... sad to see it go, but it led the top of the planes for a long while